The Identity Problem •Luka x...

By The3am_club

"I just don't know what to do anymore. A lot of different people want me to be a lot of different things. But... More

Hello Paris
New Friends
First Day
The Skateboard
Truth or Dare
Crow's Nest
Chaton
Skeletons
Kissed
Flood
Gold Guitar
Frosting
Quaver
Breakfast
Snow Day
Complicated
Questions
Line-up
The Bet
Gorgeous
Post
Cast List
Check-in
Don't
Horror Movie
Get In
Ramen
Italian
Hands
Practice
Reconcile
Final Bow
Lilies and Lilacs
Vases
Dye
Reveal
Gentleman's
Whole

Birthday

10.4K 413 87
By The3am_club

A loud vibrating sound near my ear was the first thing I heard, grumbling I turned over in bed. The annoyance continued. I sighed before peeling the covers off of me and sitting up to pick up my phone. I pressed the answer button without checking who it was.

"What's up?"

I mumbled tiredly, flopping back on my back to stare at the white ceiling. Adrien's voice crackled through the speaker.

"Hey y/n, umm I kind of want to get out of the house today. Do you mind if I crash at your place?"

I glanced out the window to see large raindrops hitting the window.

"Ya sure, but I don't plan on leaving my apartment. You want to just watch movies and eat food?"

A low chuckle floated through the receiver.

"That sounds perfect, I'll be over in a bit."

I hummed 'okay' before hanging up. Checking the time on my phone, I thought about what I needed to get done before Adrien arrived. I didn't have any time to prepare myself when my door flew open. Snickers was on top of me licking my face excitedly before I could blink. I scratched his head before pushing him lightly to the side, then standing and stretching.

I decided to leave my PJs on since we were just hanging out and watching movies. I sat on the kitchen counter after feeding Snickers a late breakfast. I couldn't decide what to buy on DoorDash so I ordered a pizza and a container of ice cream.

When a knock rippled through the house I half expected it to be the delivery guy. I jumped down from the counter, crossing the room to the door. The hardwood was cold on my feet and made a chill run down my back. I pulled the door open to be met with a familiar blonde. He was wearing a simple pine green sweatshirt with black sweatpants and black slides.

"Hey."

"You sneak out?"

He nodded, walking through the doorway to greet Snickers, leaning down to pet him. I closed the door behind us.

It had become a routine for him to sneak out to visit or he hung out with Kitty Section. It made me nervous at first but I've become numb to the fact that it occurs at this point, plus I'd rather spend time with him rather than have him be locked in his room at home.

"He seems very happy to see you,"

I commented while moving past the two of them, he chuckled from his place on the floor. I flopped on the couch dramatically, Adrien followed, pulling a blanket from the wicker basket that rested next to the couch with him.

"So what are we watching?"

He asked innocently, leaning into the back of the couch. I flipped through Disney+, trying to find an adequate movie to watch. When a familiar blue cartoon popped up on the screen the decision was all but made.

"Let's watch Lilo and Stitch."

"What's that?"

I gasped dramatically, falling back against the couch with a hand over my forehead.

"How have you never seen Lilo and Stitch, it's one of the best movies of all time!"

He shook his head, strands of blond hair swaying into place.

"I didn't watch a lot of movies or shows growing up, father valued books and piano practice more."

I frowned, this conversation was common between us. Our childhoods differed in many ways but we both could wordlessly acknowledge we both were dealt a terrible set of cards. We don't have to talk about it. It's almost better that way.

"Welp, you're gonna know what it is in a few seconds."

I clicked the movie on and started to explain the plot.

After the food finally came, what followed was us binge-watching a bunch of Disney movies in French. We spent the afternoon eating, laughing, and talking about life. Barely choking down bites between our giggles, slowly inching closer to one another.

The light rain hit the window in calming 'thumps', I simply pulled the blanket up tighter under my chin. The temperature dropped as the news had predicted, but it was nothing I wasn't used to after living in New York. Snickers was curled into my left side, resting his snout on my lap.

Ariel sang 'Part of Your World' while dancing across the TV screen. I sighed in contentment, unconsciously snuggling closer into Adrien's arm which was draped around my frame loosely. I closed my eyes as sleep began to distract me from being in such a warm and comfortable environment. I felt him pull me closer just as I completely drifted off.

I didn't feel real when I first woke up. My room was dark and it was later at night.

'How did I get to my bed?'

I looked around to find Snickers at the foot of my bed, tucked against my feet. My eyes scanned for the familiar blonde that was keeping me company. They fell on my phone sitting on my bedside table, a sticky note taped to the screen.

𝘏𝘢𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘦, 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘥 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘦. 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘶𝘯, 𝘸𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘥𝘰 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯!

I smiled, his handwriting was annoyingly impeccable. My eyes traveled to the sleeve of the forest green sweatshirt I was wearing, definitely not mine. I could feel a blush start to tint my cheeks but I swallowed it down.

I flopped back onto the bed, in exasperation. Dealing with my emotions has never been my forte.

Staring at the ceiling of my room, I thought about calling one of the guys but quickly snapped myself back to reality. I've barely talked to them since what happened at the Halloween Bash. Especially not Trevor, the only interaction we've had have been the weekly conference calls our media coordinators and managers have with all of us. Even then it's not like we interact.

I still haven't resolved that problem yet. Trevor and I have never had this problem before, we've had fights but I never have been scared to talk to him.

I sighed to myself, pulling the collar of the sweatshirt up to my chin. For now, I could enjoy this weird happiness spreading over me, and ignore the empty feeling in my heart.

"Happy Birthday!"

I chuckled at Poppy through my phone, which was currently wedged between my shoulder and my ear as I fiddled with my lock. She was the first to call as usual because of her wacky sleep schedule.

I skipped the last step and hopped on my skateboard, flying off toward school. Having to go to school on my birthday was a major bummer, but at least it was Friday so I could have the weekend to celebrate.

"Thanks, Poppy, I miss you a lot."

I could feel her sigh from across the line.

"I wish I could talk longer but I have a meeting, I'll call you after school finishes up, ya?"

Now it was my turn to sigh, busy as always. I tried to hide my disappointment.

"Ya see ya."

"And y/n spend some time with your friends ok?"

It was less of a question and more of an order, which was obvious since she hung up right after.

The second call came when I stepped off my skateboard and walked up the steps to the school courtyard. I wedged my board under my arm and answered.

"Happy birthday loser!"

I hung up and waited a few seconds just to make Caleb sweat a bit. Then promptly called back.

"Thank you, idiot."

I scanned the courtyard for my friends, but I made it there relatively early so I decided to drop my stuff off at my desk.

"So what are you doing for your Birthday?"

He asked I could hear him rustling around with something in the background.

"Ummm... the usual, I guess. Going to school and then going home and doing homework."

I pulled the door open to the classroom, climbing the stairs to my desk. I set my bag and skateboard under the desk out of habit because of what Chloe did to it when it was out in the open.

"Are you kidding? At least hang out with some friends, do they know it's your birthday?"

I leaned against the wooden desk contemplating.

"Maybe? I don't really know, I never mentioned it."

"Ok, you're telling me that you haven't told anyone it's your birthday and you're spending the day just celebrating on your own."

"And Snickers."

I added weekly.

"With your dog."

I laughed a little, only slightly uncomfortable.

"Go out and party, it's Friday for god sake! I can't believe you didn't plan anything!"

I could practically see him pulling out his hair over this. I rolled my eyes.

"Caleb, you know I'm not a partier."

"Stop lying to yourself what about New Year and all the times we-"

"Okay Okay! I'm not a partier unless I'm with the group."

I shuffled towards the doorway of the classroom, suddenly feeling a bit exposed.

"Besides you know I hate being the center of attention."

"That I can agree with you on."

I lost count of how many times Caleb or Trevor purposely stole the spotlight from me because they knew I hated having any form of attention on me.

"Don't worry you'll be getting my present very soon, it'll make you feel better."

"Yes because whatever you sent me in the mail is going to cure me of my fake sadness."

I deadpanned. He laughed.

"Of course!"

"I got to go but I'll talk to you later okay?"

"Ya, see ya butt."

I slipped my phone into the back pocket of my mom jeans and started to walk downstairs into the courtyard. It was substantially busier than a few minutes ago and I spotted my friends next to the stairs, our usual meeting spot.

Nino noticed me first and gave me a two-fingered salute as I approached. I returned it, a small gesture unique to the two of us. Once I had made it over, the others greeted me. It was mostly just the core group of Adrien, Marinette, Alya, Nino, and for once Luka, Juleka, and Rose. The other three usually showed up a little later.

"What's up, guys?"

"We're having a debate on whose house we're crashin' at tonight. You comin'?"

Luka smiled at me, directing the group's attention to me. I nodded in return.

"Ya, I'll swing by wherever we decide after I finish some homework."

He smiled satisfied with my answer, while the conversation switched back to where the meetup would be held.

Rose bumped our shoulders together in greeting, with a large grin on her face.

"Love the outfit as perusal."

"Thanks, the sweater was a present from Poppy."

It was a forest green cropped sweater, I paired it with light wash jeans, white trainers, and a gold necklace.

"It's a great color on you."

Adrien butted into the conversation a bit, I shot him a grateful smile before he could return to his conversation.

Just as Rose pulled Juleka into a new topic to gossip about, I spotted Nathaniel walking over to us, gift bag in hand. I quietly slipped away to meet him halfway.

"I was hoping I would find you before class, didn't want to have to give it to you in the middle of chemistry."

He chuckled, brushing some cherry red strands of hair out of his face, holding out the bag to me.

"Happy Birthday!"

I pulled him into a quick hug with a giggle.

"Thanks, Nat, you didn't have to get me in anything."

"Technically I didn't 'get' you anything, I made you something."

I raised an eyebrow at his point, curiously pulling the gift from the light blue bag. He held the scraps of tissue paper after I pulled out the colorful canvas.

It was a painting of a picture I took of the two of us huddled in my bathroom on our 'self-care' nights. A night when I forced Nathaniel to do a skincare routine. The picture is of us in the mirror, green face masks pasted over our skin. In the moment he struck a duck face and I had my tongue poked out with an arm resting on his shoulder.

"Do you like it?"

"Nat this is amazing I- wow. Just wow. Thank you so much. I love it."

"Wow, and I thought I stuttered the most out of the two of us."

I gave him a dirty look as I carefully set the present back in the bag.

"Why aren't you this confident around your boyfriend?"

He punched my shoulder lightly.

"Oh, are you coming down with a cold again and need to stay home for another three days?"

I squinted my eyes and pointed my finger at him.

"Screw you, it happened like a month ago."

He ran off before I could scold him further.

'Sometimes I think I liked him better when he was shy with me.'

I chuckled to myself, shaking my head. As I reapproached the group I took note of the people around us starting to head back to class. I assumed I had seamlessly meshed back into the group without them noticing I was gone until a question was directed at me.

"What did Nathenial give you?"

Luka's inquisitiveness and social awareness continues to astonish me, I look over to him only slightly put off that he had noticed my absence.

"What's in the bag?"

Alya turned to press me further, ever curious. I took out the painting at their request.

"Nat made it, it's a picture of us from the beginning of the year."

Mari moves closer to get a better look.

"Wow that's so detailed, what's it fo-"

Before she could finish my phone started going off, and the familiar Blue Moon song 'Don't Stop the Music' blasted through my jeans back pocket. I smiled apologetically, tucking the painting back in the bag.

"Sorry guys, I'll catch up with you in class."

I turned and answered the call as everyone begrudgingly started to walk up the stairs. I already knew who it was, so I leaned back against the wall of the staircase.

"Happy Birthday Bestie!"

"Jake, how late did you have to stay up to make this call?"

I heard him laugh nervously, giving away his guilt.

"That's not important, I can't talk for long but I just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!"

"Okay love you."

"Love you too, bye."

He hung up quickly, probably going back to sleep.

"I thought you said your American friends don't call during school because of the time difference?"

I looked up to see Adrien leaning over the railing of the staircase, grinning down at me.

"What are you stalking me Agreste?"

I played coy, nevertheless pushing off the wall and climbing the stairs to walk to class with the blonde. He chuckled in response and nudged me with his shoulder.

"Just figured a fine lady like yourself shouldn't walk to class alone."

The way he said it was so familiar, and it almost felt as if I had heard the same statement before, but I couldn't ponder it much longer as he conveniently changed the subject.

"You're popular today. I feel like you haven't had a chance to breathe."

"Ya, it's been overwhelming."

I sighed as we approached the door to the classroom.

"What was the call about anyway?"

"Aren't you the curious one?"

I smirked at him playfully, he shrugged sheepishly.

"It was Jake, he stayed up late so that he could wish me a happy birthday."

He nodded along as I finished before his head snapped back to me.

"Wait- it's your birthday?!"

I nodded, just as we made it to the doorway. He put a hand on my shoulder and pulled me back so my back was to the wall next to the door. His face was pinched into an upset frown.

"Why didn't you say anything?"

I stared back wide-eyed, first at the velocity and ease at which he had moved me to face him and second at his question.

"I mean I didn't know what to say. My friends back home are always the ones that throw me a party. I don't like being the center of attention."

He stepped back a bit, seeming to come to his senses.

"Sorry, I-just. Had I-we known we all would've done something to celebrate you know?"

I took a deep breath and gave him a lopsided smile. Slowly I reached out to put a hand on his shoulder.

"This doesn't reflect on you guys as friends, it's not your fault I didn't mention it. Had you guys known, I don't doubt half of Paris would be aware of it by now."

I giggled a little at the thought of the group throwing a party that large, I would be naive to put it past them. I retracted my hand from him and we stood for an awkward beat of silence.

"If you say so, but we're all doing something tonight okay? I don't care if I have to sneak out again."

I nudged him a bit in a friendly way if only to give me some space to breathe between the wall and his chest.

"What would that be your fifth time this week?"

We finally made our way into the classroom where everyone was already seated and chatting to one another.

"Shut it."

He tried to act peeved but he couldn't help the smile that crossed his face.

When I looked up to climb the stairs there were multiple things I noticed. One was Chloe glaring daggers at me from her seat, and I gladly shot a sickeningly sweet smile back. Two was Marinette looking longingly at the two of us.

I frowned at this, continuing my trek up to my seat. No matter the distance I tried to put between me and Adrien he still managed to break down my reserves, it was hard to not try to be close to him.

I shook the thought off and took a seat between Luka and Nathaniel. I shuffled my gift bag under the desk with my other stuff just as the teacher entered and began taking attendance. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket just after I had confirmed that I was present, I disregarded it, opting to pull out my folder to grab my homework. When I looked up I was met with the entirety of the rows in front of me spun around to look at me beside Adrien.

It didn't take long for me to deduce what happened when I looked at their horrified faces.

I glanced at the group chat and confirmed that, yes, Adrien had outed the fact that it was my birthday to the group.

"Please pay attention in class, eyes forward."

The group turned themselves back to the front and their attention back to their phones. Discreetly blowing up the group chat with messages, I silenced my phone choosing to prolong the fallout till after class.

I felt paper nudge my hand, a note was being slid across the desk, I glanced at Luka. Locking eyes with his deep blue gaze, he looked upset, similar to Adrien. I read the note which was crudely scribbled on some scrap paper.

𝘐𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘭𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘣𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘩𝘥𝘢𝘺?

I scribbled a response quickly.

𝘠𝘦𝘴:/

He looked at me with wide eyes, before writing.

𝘞𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘬 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 245 14
Hello, the names Samantha Fineroad. I am 15 years old and I currently study at xxx junior highschool as a 3rd year student. Or should I say, I once w...
1.7K 83 6
A normal kid with a somewhat normal life is what you were. If someone were to tell you you'd become a superhero on the first day back at school you'd...
13.3K 366 22
Chat Noir is the amazing superhero. Y/N is your average teenage girl. What could they have in common? Apparently everything. When Y/N transfers to a...
15K 404 40
My name is Cherice Revere. Have you ever heard of Ladybug and Chat Noir? Well, for all I know when I heard their names for the first time I was like...