The Raven and the Dragon

By singlequantumevent

A kingdom falls. One of the only surviving members of its royal house must journey deep into the mountains to... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen: An Interlude
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Epilogue

Chapter Fifteen

2 0 0
By singlequantumevent

The others returned with good news. House Laine had agreed to help. They needed only to finalize the rest of their plans and report back to them. Alicia probably would've been thrilled, had she not been swept up in the next wave of planning. There was no time to celebrate a small victory, not when they had much larger details to worry about. If she wasn't with Bo, she was with King Gideon, or both of them, talking, projecting themselves back home, planning.

That was probably why it didn't hit her until almost a full day and a half later, the night before everyone was beginning to plan and go their separate ways. Nimah and Kit would be going to House Laine to ready for their part in the plan. Solomon would accompany them so he'd be closer to home. Eve was still considering her options, though she had apparently mentioned to Bo that she might feel better if she stayed with Alicia until this was over. Bo had been relieved at the prospect; Alicia was a bit more uncertain, though it helped to remember that she likely wasn't going anywhere near actual fighting. She was a princess, and young at that. There was no need for her to be so close.

Strangely, for the first time, being at her side would likely be the safest place to be.

Nimah came to her for one last review of "anywhere in the castle that might be good for hiding, especially secret passageways if you have them." There were, actually, some passageways in the castle, not quite hidden ones, but certainly out-of-the-way ones that made travel a bit easier and more discreet. Discussing them and the various entryways reminded Alicia of her childhood, of sneaking off into the passageways to play hide-and-seek with Father, of the various other places in the castle that weren't quite relevant to the conversation but that she would love to show the others, and then...she realized.

I might be able to show her some of those things after all.

I'm going home soon

There was no guarantee that she'd be able to show them anything. She knew that. But the possibility was still so overwhelming that Alicia stopped talking. She hadn't even realized she'd fallen silent until Nimah put a hand on her shoulder. "Are you all right, Princess?" she asked.

Alicia took a second to compose herself, and to try and sort through all the emotions she was feeling in that moment. "I was...I just realized I might be able to sleep in my own bed soon." It sounded so childish when she put it like that, and that barely encompassed everything she was feeling as it was. "I know I shouldn't get my hopes up too much, but ever since we arrived here, it feels like it's safe to hope. Even now that things are getting dangerous, it feels...safer. Is that strange?"

Nimah shook her head. "No, not at all. It's almost over one way or another. Wanting it to end well isn't a bad thing." She patted Alicia's shoulder. "We're doing everything we can to make sure you can get back in that bed. You know that, right?"

"I do." It was actually part of the reason why she risked feeling optimistic. She had her friends, and she had the help of a man who could turn into a dragon. It made anything seem possible, as silly as that might have sounded. At the very least, it made things seem more possible than they had when it was just her and Bo. "I don't know if I'll ever be able to repay you for this."

Nimah shook her head. "You only have to worry about the payment we agreed to. And maybe dinner. I get the feeling that I'm going to be hungry after helping with a kidnapping."

Alicia laughed. Before she had time to stop it, the laughter turned into a sob. Had she started crying when the laughter started, or had it just started now? It was too late to hide it, at any rate; Nimah had already seen, and looked concerned. "I'm sorry," Alicia said. "It's all..."

"I know. Do you mind if I...?" Nimah held out both arms. "I mean...I know, you're in line for the throne and all, but you look like you need one."

Alicia didn't mind.

Nimah's grip was firm, but not too firm—protective, like being wrapped in a blanket as a child and feeling like its embrace would keep the monsters away. She gently smoothed down Alicia's hair and hummed softly. Alicia couldn't place the melody, but it didn't matter. Even without the knowledge of its words or origins, the song was comforting. Knowing there were people who cared about her was comforting.

"It's all been so overwhelming," Alicia whispered, once the initial wave of emotion passed and she could speak without crying. "I've tried not to think about it until now, but...it's been a lot."

"I know what you mean," Nimah said as she gently rubbed Alicia's shoulder. "I've done that, too. I think it's the mind trying to protect you so you can do what needs to be done. You've had a lot going on. You've been coping very well."

There was that, at least. "Thank you." Alicia leaned away enough to rub the tears from her eyes. "If I tell you something...do you promise you won't tell the others?

"Of course."

"When you find Lord Reardon...if you want to hit him, it's fine. We need him alive, but I don't care if he gets...a little hurt." She looked at Nimah, suddenly worried. "Is that wrong?"

Nimah laughed. "Absolutely not. After everything he's been through, he deserves worse than a hit or two. Though...that comes later, right?"

"If everything goes according to plan," Alicia replied, "yes." She hadn't considered the specifics yet. There might be executions involved, or maybe imprisonment, or perhaps they would simply let him go after a lot of negotiations. It would probably depend on what her step-aunt did. But Alicia wouldn't worry about that now. That day would come. "Thank you, Nimah."

"You're welcome, Princess."

"You know you can call me Alicia, right?"

Nimah looked surprised, but smiled. "Of course. Alicia. You're welcome."

Of course Nimah could call her Alicia. She wasn't just a subordinate, or someone Alicia had hired. She was a friend now.

And Alicia was grateful for that.

+++++

"So, you're staying with her?"

Eve nodded. She was making eye contact more; Nimah could swear that Eve had actually grown in the days they'd been there, though it was likely she'd just started standing up straighter instead of making herself so small. "Just to be sure. I mean...I know she won't actually be out there fighting, but..." Eve held something out to Nimah. "This is for you."

"Oh!" Nimah took it; it was a small cloth-wrapped package, big enough to be clenched into a fist. It almost felt like a tea bag, granted a fairly large one. "Thank you...what is it?"

"Something for if Lord Reardon doesn't want to come willingly. It won't take much, but I made extra...just to be safe."

Nimah nearly burst out laughing, only refraining because she didn't want to startle Eve. "You know," she said, "I'm a little surprised it's taken me this long to be given something like this. Thank you." She slipped the small pouch into her belt and held out a hand to Eve. "I'll see you when this is over, then?"

Eve glanced down at Nimah's hand and smiled shyly. "Yes." She clasped Nimah's hand in both of hers. "Be careful?"

"I will. I promise."

Eve moved on to speak to Kit next—Kit, who had been standing near Solomon in the corner without speaking for a time. It didn't seem to be a confrontational silence, at least; more contemplative than anything. Staring also felt like intruding, so Nimah looked away and turned her attention to Bo, who was standing nearby with Alicia. "Promise me you won't worry about me too much," she said.

Bo sighed. "Nimah, how long have we been travelling together?" he said, resigned. "You should know by now that it's not possible for me to stop worrying about anything or anyone."

Again, Nimah wanted to laugh, but this time she refrained to avoid hurting Bo's feelings. "Well, try, at least. Worry about her." Nimah patted Alicia on the shoulder. "You say goodbye to Kit and Solomon?"

"Yes, earlier," Alicia said. "Is Solomon okay? He seems..." She glanced up at Bo, who shrugged. "Quieter than usual?"

"He hasn't said anything to me, if that's what you mean." And he likely never would, if something was wrong. "I'll make sure he's okay. Don't worry about it." Nimah looked up at the sound of tapping shoes. Simona was walking into the room, once again readying to take them to House Laine. "Worry about what you have to do." She held out a hand to Bo. "See you on the other side."

Bo took her hand. "Be careful."

"I'm always careful. Alicia?"

Alicia took her hand next. She looked like she wanted to go in for another hug, but she held back. "Bo's right. Be careful. And...thank you." She smiled that sad and brave smile of hers. "I'll see you later."

"I'll see you."

Solomon wouldn't look at anyone as joined Simona in the center of the room, save for giving Eve one final glance and nod. Kit smiled and waved at Alicia and Bo as he followed. It was funny; despite how tense things had been between him and Solomon, he looked remarkably calm. Then again, he had started this whole journey chained up in a box. And he couldn't die. This whole situation was probably the least strange thing to ever happen to him.

"Simona," Nimah said as she stepped closer. "Good to see you again. I don't suppose you'll be joining us for this fine adventure?"

"No." Simona held out a hand to Nimah and to Solomon. "I have other business to tend to once this is done. Remember not to move."

The last thing she saw before closing her eyes was Alicia, Bo, and Eve, standing nearby, watching them with smiles that were varying degrees of concerned. She hoped, deep down, that this wouldn't be the last time she ever saw them.

Travelling by transportation magic really was getting easier. At this rate, maybe Nimah would never worry about losing a limb whenever she heard that strange, lightning-like pop ever again.

Even better was the fact that they were expected this time when they arrived at House Laine. No more waiting around for everything to be discussed and a meeting to be put together; she got to go straight to Lord Laine, pass off the documents with the plans, and receive the necessary disguises for her to go and try on.

The maid's outfit wasn't too dissimilar to clothing that Nimah had worn before; the only real difference was she was wearing a skirt in a situation where she might consider pants (though it was high off the ground enough that she probably wouldn't trip if she had to run), and almost complete devoid of color. It felt a bit morbid to see herself encased in black and silver, but if that was what it took to blend in, so be it. On the positive side, the skirts were perfect for keeping a knife in. Thank the gods for layers.

I wonder if there's anywhere Kit can keep a backup knife. Sure, he would be disguised as a guard, and wouldn't have to keep any weapons a secret, but it couldn't hurt to have a spare. Nimah exited the small room she'd been given to change in and walked across the hall to Kit's, knocking on the doorframe once she arrived. "Everything all right in there?" she called.

Solomon answered the door. He had a beleaguered look on his face. "He's going to need a new shirt," he said.

"Wait, why?" When Nimah leaned past Solomon, she saw Kit sitting on the edge of the bed. There was, indeed, blood on his neck, and some of it had speckled the shirt he was wearing. "What?"

"Turns out he hasn't shaved in a while." Kit's frown intensified; he tapped the edge of the bed frame to get Solomon's attention and signed something. "I know, I know, it's not your fault, but you can let me help, you know."

"Why does he have to shave?" Nimah asked.

"Everyone else was clean-shaven. It's too late now, at any rate." Solomon sighed and sat down next to Kit. "It could be worse. At least he heals."

That was true. Nimah fumbled at a pouch on her belt, producing a loose cloth and holding it out to Kit. "I'm glad I don't have to worry about any of this. Here, I'll get you another shirt while you two..." It was a bit funny to see him only half-shaven, though for the third time that day Nimah held back her laughter. "...sort this out."

She wasn't sure if she should be worried that no one batted an eyelid when she mentioned that Kit had gotten blood on his shirt and needed a new one. Maybe he just looked like the kind of person who cut himself a lot, or maybe the servants had an inkling of what was going on and figured they didn't want to ask questions. She couldn't blame them for that.

When Nimah arrived back at the room, Kit was a bit more shaven. Any progress they'd made had, however, been halted by the fact that he was standing up and bouncing in place. Solomon had his face in his hands. "You don't have to get so excited about-" He looked up when Nimah walked in the room. "Oh, good, you're back. I hate to send you out again, but we're going to need another uniform."

"What, did he bleed some more?"

"No, I'm going with you."

That was not the answer she'd been expecting.

"...and...you made this decision when?"

"Ten seconds ago. After thinking about it," he added defensively. "I told you, I was worried about there not being a plan. You have a plan, I can help with the plan..." The defensive tone only increased the longer Nimah stared. "...and I'm pretty sure if I don't come along, you're going to get yourself killed."

Nimah would've been offended if she weren't still so shocked that Solomon had agreed to come. Kit touched her arm briefly, gently, jarring her from her thoughts. He was still smiling; she realized she hadn't seen him smile that much since they found him. "Solomon, I..."

If she made a big deal out of it, he'd just get more defensive. So, she chose a tactical retreat. "I'll go get you something," she said. She passed the shirt off to Kit. "Try not to get blood on that, okay? I'll be right back."

She saved her own smiles until she was out in the hallway.

Nimah wished there was some way that she could tell the others. She knew that Alicia had been hesitant to put them in any danger, but the fact that Solomon had been willing to help—even after his very justified hesitation—spoke volumes to what he thought of them. It must have.

Either that or Kit had been able to wear him down into going. Regardless of the reason why, as much as Solomon might say he was trying to protect her, Nimah knew she was going to have to protect him.

They were all getting out of this with Lord Reardon. She'd do whatever it took to see to that.

+++++

Bo had been trying to keep his nerves under control all day. So far it wasn't working.

He went over the details of the plan over and over in his head, as if knowing everything that was going on would somehow give him control over the situation. Half of King Gideon's council had elected to provide troops, which would hopefully give them the advantage they needed when combined with the element of surprise. A handful of elite troops would be causing the distraction that would facilitate getting Lord Reardon out of the castle. They would also be pushing back against the troops keeping them trapped in the mountains, again with a surprise attack. Bo had a feeling that basically any early attack was going to come as a surprise. After all, who would expect dragons to show up and start setting your armies on fire?

The thought of fire lead him to glance down at his tattooed hands. Would he have to join in the fray? He would if he had to, no hesitation. He just wasn't sure how much good he'd do. He'd done all right so far, but he couldn't escape the feeling that it was mostly due to dumb luck and possibly divine intervention.

Magic-Giver, whatever strength you've been giving me, I could certainly use some more of it...

"Are you all right?" Alicia asked quietly.

Bo glanced at her. They had her in armor—nothing extensive, just studded leather, enough to give her some extra protection should the worst happen. It was still strange to see her wearing it, strange and sad. She shouldn't have to wear that, not in these circumstances. The only armor he'd hoped to ever see her in was the ceremonial sort at her coronation. "I'm nervous," Bo admitted. "Just...very, very nervous."

Alicia nodded. "Me, too." She took his hand and squeezed it tightly. "We're going to be fine. Everyone knows what they're supposed to do and...everything is going to be fine."

Bo nodded. He wasn't sure if he could make himself believe it, but he had to at least try. He considered something else: the look on Lord Reardon's face when they showed up with dragons.

Bet you didn't see that coming, you murderous...

Whatever insults he could come up with were interrupted by the clank of approaching armor. "It's time," said a female voice behind them. The woman approaching them was wearing much more robust armor than what he'd seen in the council room a few days ago, though it seemed to be made of similar material. "I assume you're both ready?"

"Yes, we're ready," Alicia said. Other people began to file into the room—all the members of the council who had agreed to bring help, all armored but none carrying weapons. Bo had a feeling he knew why. They would go first, and then return for their troops once they got a feeling for their surroundings and where the best place to summon them to would be. "Thank you for this. I..."

Alicia's voice broke slightly, but she recovered quickly. "I appreciate your help. More than you could ever realize."

The woman nodded. Bo thought he saw a ghost of a smile around her eyes, but it faded quickly as King Gideon approached. "We're all ready," she said to him. "It's been a long time since I've been out of the mountains. It will be interesting to see what's changed."

"Less than you'd think, I imagine." King Gideon smiled and gestured for Alicia and Bo to follow him. "I'll need you for the spell."

It was amazing how that simple sentence could make Bo feel like a novice again.

They stood to either side of him in the center of the throne room, each holding one of his hands, then the hand of someone else—Eve, in Bo's case. "Think very hard about where we need to go," Gideon instructed them. "Picture it in your mind as clearly as you can. I'll do the rest."

Right. Of course. That was easy. Just think about home, he told himself as he closed his eyes. Well...not exactly home. King's Peak. Think about King's Peak.

He had only been a few times but he remembered the last time well. The stone walls had felt so suffocating at the time; the fact that they were under siege had only made the feeling worse. Then again, there were probably worse places to be trapped. At least the King's Peak was defensible. They said that no one had been able to breach it during the brief outbreaks of war that had struck the Raven Isle during the Cathmore-Sierdan Civil War.

He remembered tapestries depicting that conflict, and the image of the long-dead Lord Byrne leading his people to safety. One such tapestry hung in the dining hall at King's Peak. There was another king in some of those images, dark-skinned and fierce. Bo had always thought that the figure was another ancient king from Palesa. He realized now that it must have been the long (but less long) dead King of Dragons.

To think, we had the evidence that dragons can change form in our possession the whole time...

The air around him felt colder. Bo opened his eyes to find himself in a windowless space, staring at the exact tapestry he'd been thinking about. The tapestry and several guards. He was too taken aback by the fact that the transition had been so painless to be alarmed by the swords pointed at him. He couldn't even recall feeling his ears pop.

Dragons are incredible, they really are.

"Adrianna!"

When Bo turned around, there she was—golden-haired, severe-eyed Queen Adrianna Byrne, staring at Alicia as though she'd seen a ghost. Alicia had let go of King Gideon's hand to run to her stepmother; it looked for a moment like she was going to try and embrace her, but remembered that they had company at the last minute and stopped herself.

Bo wished, more than anything, that Alicia was able to embrace her only surviving family without it seeming untoward.

The Lady was able to find a half-measure, stepping forward to take both of Alicia's hands and hold them tightly. "I am very glad," she said, her usually stoic voice trembling slightly as she spoke, "to see you again."

"I'm glad to see you, too," Alicia said. Her voice was also shaking, a bit more audibly. Fortunately, when Bo looked around the room, its occupants seemed to be willfully ignoring how emotional the moment was. "I'm glad to be home."

"And we're all glad you've been returned to us." The Lady looked up, first at Bo, then Eve next to him, then at King Gideon. "And I'm grateful to those of you who brought her back to us. Thank you."

Bo felt his face grow hot. He managed to mumble out a thank-you. Had he ever heard the Lady speak so warmly to him? She didn't dislike him, she was just...usually so severe. Death changes things, I suppose. Death and war and near-loss.

Eve's thank-you was even quieter than his, if that was at all possible, and she clung more tightly to Bo's hand at the sight of all the eyes on her. King Gideon, meanwhile, had no problems with the attention, and in fact seemed to be trying to take it off of Eve and Bo. "It was no trouble," he said, bowing slightly at the waist and smiling. "Your daughter has done well these past few days. We are at your disposal, my lady. I believe we have a few days until our agents enter the castle, if all goes according to plan."

"Right. These agents who are..." A bit of skepticism entered the Lady's voice as she spoke. "The woman you hired as a guide and... a man you found on the side of the road."

"In a box," Bo added without thinking. He cringed immediately, wishing he could shove the words back into his mouth. "And...whoever else Lord Laine brings."

Alicia rested a hand on her stepmother's forearm. "It's all right. I trust them with my life. They're both more skilled than you'd think."

More skilled than you'd think meaning one of them is immortal, Bo assumed. But that would probably come up later. Possibly never, if Kit wasn't comfortable with people knowing. Then again, if things went badly, at least one person was going to be finding out.

I hope things don't go badly.

"I think I should take a look around the mountains," King Gideon said, "determine the best place to bring our troops. Do you have a space with access to the sky?"

"Yes, right this way." The Lady shot Alicia a curious look as she started to lead them away. Bo realized then that they hadn't fully explained the situation with the dragons to her, at least not that Bo had heard. The reasoning, possibly, had been because she might not believe them. This seemed to be the kind of thing you needed to see for yourself.

Bo couldn't help wondering how she would react to it. The Lady seemed so unflappable most of the time but this was...something else entirely. Would it be wrong of me to find her reaction funny? He was pretty sure he wasn't supposed to laugh at royalty, but after everything they'd been through, finding a bit of humor in the situation couldn't hurt, right?

They walked through the halls of the fortress until they reached one of its few outdoor areas—a doorway that lead to a small valley tucked among the mountain's crevices. The soil there wasn't any good for growing food, though there were some persistent plants and a well among the harsh dirt. It was mostly a space where people could get some real air. It occurred to Bo then that he had no idea how King Gideon was going to change his shape. He'd used coins last time—did he have to use coins every time or was that just his preferred method?

King Gideon didn't seem worried, despite Bo's concerns. "You might want to stand back," he said as he stepped into the clearing. "Don't worry. I'll put everything back when I'm done."

The Lady frowned, casting Alicia a curious glance. The answer to her silent question came quickly.

As they watched from the doorway, the ground began to tremble slightly. The dirt began to move, travelling up King Gideon's legs, forming around his body. The stone seemed followed. The shape that it formed was vague at first, but quickly solidified into something that was unmistakably draconic. When all was said and done, King Gideon stood before them in his true form. He seemed smaller than Bo had remembered from last time, but the same power was contained in that body, and those same golden eyes.

The Lady stayed composed, far more composed than Bo had been when he'd realized the truth back in the Wilds. But there was still shock in her eyes. It was, as Bo had traitorously though it might be, actually really funny.

"Well," the Lady said, in the flat tone of someone who hadn't expected a specific outcome, "this is...an interesting development."

It was strange to say that something without lips could smile. But in that moment, Bo was sure that King Gideon was doing just that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 210 39
The world is in grave danger of falling under the influence of Chaos. Two countries have already been corrupted and are at war with each other for no...
706 4 39
A young girl lives in the forest all alone. No family, no friends and worst of all no memories. She just woke up one day lying on the forest floor. ...
44.8K 2.2K 29
"Are you sure you can't do magic?" Forced into a high position, in charge of a crumbling kingdom, a small noble of no consequences attends the most...
814 59 34
In a world after the second great flood, a group of teenagers must save the world from a new threat. A threat that no ever thought they would face ag...