Versus (Parts I and II)

By electrawhittaker

Versus (2018) Rewritten (2022-24) Parts I and II Calista Medley dreamed of being a fighter, but after years o... More

Author's Intro
Disclaimer
Planets of the Utopia
Intermission: Part I- Application
Prologue
Chapter 1- Dead End
Chapter 2- Vision
Chapter 3- Cosmic Opportunity
Chapter 5- One Spot
Chapter 6- Hacking the App
Chapter 7- Second Stage
Chapter 8- Practical Exam
Chapter 9- Loss
Chapter 10- D.C.
Chapter 11- Spectator
Chapter 12- No Pressure
Chapter 13- Fulfilled
Chapter 14- Scandal
Chapter 15- Welcome to Fistborn Academy
Chapter 16- Orientation
Chapter 17- Breakfast
Chapter 18.1- School
Chapter 18.2- School
Chapter 19- The Gamma Guild

Chapter 4- Adrenaline Rush

39 8 26
By electrawhittaker

Calista finished editing the SociaLights' broadcast and closed the app. It had to be one of the most grueling broadcasts she'd ever gone through; forcing herself to smile and say things that she didn't mean at all. The whole thing was dedicated to caching on the Versus, making fun of its fighters and relying on hacky visual articles claiming the Versus had originally been created to lessen the population through fights to the death.

No one had died in a century, and the one time it happened, it was a proven accident. Calista had to resist showing her true feelings, lest she wanted the other three to kick her off the broadcast and tarnish her image all over the Hub. Their fans would be after her like rabid dogs if she ever said anything in slight support towards the competition.

"Catalina Medley requesting to enter."

"Let her in." She breathed out and leaned back in her hover-chair.

Her younger sister entered, seeming sheepish. "Hey..."

"Hey, what's on the Hub?"

"Um..." She sat on Calista's sleep capsule, kneading her hands. "I need to tell you something."

"What?" Calista sat up, concerned.

"I have a... secret."

Excitement lit up Calista's emerald green eyes. "What is it? Is it a boy? Someone from the museum?"

"Yeah... but no. It's something you cannot tell Mom and Dad."

"Cat, I keep secrets all the time. You can trust me."

"Okay." The younger Medley girl blew her hair out of her face. "There's a Socializer coming to where I work. I saw him yesterday. And I know you're a huge fan, so... you want to come over and see him?"

"Who?!" Calista stood, her cheeks immediately flushing.

"It's, uh... Devon Arfi-"

She was interrupted by Calista's ear-splitting squeal. "DEVON ARFIMEZ?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! AT THE MUSEUM?!"

"No, not at the museum."

"Then where?!"

"I don't work at the museum," Catalina confessed.

Calista's excited bounce paused. "Wait, what?"

"This is the secret part. I work at a bar on Genesis X." She winced, waiting for the scolding older sister rant. "I couldn't get a job at the museum last year because I needed a higher degree. I lied about it. I registered, but that was just for a part-time job that I honestly hate, so I just left my name in there so Mom and Dad wouldn't ask any questions, and I have a fake name I use for Genesis because I'm underage-"

"Wait-wait-wait." Calista stopped her, pursing her painted lips. "You mean to tell me... that since last year... you've been working at a bar on Genesis X?! The space station?"

"An... illegal bar."

"WHAT?! ARE YOU GLITCHING CRAZY?! WHAT THE GLITCH ARE YOU THINKING-"

"If you don't shut up, I won't take you to see Devon!"

Silence. Calista's face had turned pink, her fingers flexing as she tried to calm down. "Why would he go to a bar like that?" she wondered.

"I don't know, but I know it was him. I talked to him... a-about you."

"About me?!"

"Yeah, I told him about the SociaLights, and how you're so-"

"I have to tell the girls!"

"NO!" Catalina stood, gripping her sister's shoulders. "I told you. It's a secret. Our parents can't know. This is the only way I'll save up for design school. Please."

Calista's face softened at the desperation in her younger sister's eyes. She smiled and kissed her cheek. "I promise. But isn't there any other way you can save up? Somewhere safer..."

Catalina shook her head. "Trust me, I tried. But we'll talk about it later. I'm going to work right now, and Devon's only coming tomorrow. This is your chance to network." Seeing the look of fear and doubt on Calista's face, she quickly added, "I promise you'll be safe. You can wear a Mask or something. I have a couple."

Calista looked down at herself and rushed to her closet, tapping on various outfits. "What should I wear?"

"Nothing too fancy. Something casual. Preferably something you can move okay in... I don't want to scare you, but Genesis X is pretty crazy."

"You're telling me." She finally settled for a hot pink leotard and long, purple tights. Her long, nylon black hair was raised into a high ponytail. "This work?"

"... That's perfect, actually."

===

Upon entering the hidden bar, Calista's paranoia was jacked up to 11. She'd shrunken in her barstool, her legs pulled up to her chest, and her green eyes constantly glanced around with fear. Many strong, intimidating species were around; hot-tempered Hajjians, proud Voraxians, stone-skinned Mercurians. Hajjians were the worst, notorious for their tempers, powerful fire abilities, and incomparable strength.

Catalina served a customer, as calm as could be. How could she be? Did she really work in this environment for a year already? It was no wonder she'd looked so shaken up after her first day at the 'museum'; they'd all assumed she was overwhelmed at having a non-virtual job.

"What time was he here yesterday?" Calista asked her sister.

"Around noon. There's still time." It was currently 11:30.

"Are you sure he's coming?"

"I... I'm sure."

"You hesitated."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did!"

"Shh!" Catalina glanced at the other patrons, lowering her voice. "If they see someone riled up, they'll want to see a fight, and if they don't get one, they start it."

"I can't believe you work here."

Another customer came in, wearing a cloak and a slightly faulty Mask. A lot of the patrons concealed their identities. Were they escaped convicts? That was what the space stations were known for. Calista shuddered at the thought.

Catalina picked her blond hair up into a bun, fanning herself. "It's hot in here," she muttered. She suddenly froze, staring off to the side. "Uh-oh."

"What?" Calista followed her gaze. She was staring at a group of customers looking at them. "What is it?"

"Um..." Catalina fiddled with her uniform apron. "Nothing."

"What? Tell me."

"There's just some people here that... don't really like me."

Calista glanced back at the group. "Who, them?"

"Don't make it so obvious," Cat said discreetly, fake-smiling.

"Who are they?"

"No one. Just some people that I had a run-in a few months ago."

"A what?!"

One of the group members stood up— a Martian man with neon green hair. Against his gray skin, it was quite blinding. He sauntered over to the counter, leaning on the surface. "Medley. Long time no see."

Catalina ignored him, turning to another customer and taking their order.

"It's rude to ignore a customer, you know," the man continued. "I wanted a good Jovin beer."

Catalina sighed and silently generated his order. He smirked, taking his mug, and turned to his group. "Hey, everyone, look who it is!"

The girl closed her eyes with dread. "Here we go."

"Cat, who are they?" Calista's guard rose as the entire group surrounded the two, all of them wearing smiles she didn't like at all.

"Ah, the little girl." A Mercearthian woman chuckled. "Look how shy she is. Strange. Last time we saw you, you were quite... vocal."

"Irritatingly vocal," a Mearthian man added.

"What happened to that spunk?"

"Shut it, Scaaskal."

"There it is." Scaaskal stepped into her place behind the counter, nudging her away from the order screen. "We have unfinished business, don't we?"

"Hey." Calista stood. "Who are you guys?"

"Stay out of it, girl." The Mercearthian woman judgingly looked at Calista. "What are you supposed to be, a Socializer?"

Calista hesitated, turning red. The woman chuckled, realizing she'd hit the right code. "A Socializer in Cosmos?" another Martian man laughed, this one with blue hair. "Who would've thought?"

"She looks like you, doesn't she?" Scaaskal nudged Catalina's shoulder, a bit harshly.

"Hey, back off." Calista walked around the counter, getting between Scaaskal and Catalina.

"The Socializer being tough? Wow." He glanced at his friends. "Who is she, your sister?"

"You never told us you had a Socializer for a sister." The woman cocked her head.

"How cute. She should give you fashion tips," the other Martian man taunted.

"Alright, out of the way, princess." Scaaskal tried to push Calista aside, but the girl stood her ground, planting herself in front of her sister.

"Unless you want the glitch kicked out of you, you'll let us finish our business," the Mercearthian woman threatened.

"Leave her alone," Calista said. She was scared to death, her stomach whirling like a sky-coaster, and her limbs turning to jelly. These people were probably criminals. But she would rather die than let them touch her little sister.

"Cali... just leave it. It's fine," Catalina said quietly, clearly intimidated.

"Get out of the way, or I'll get you out of my way," Scaaskal loomed over her like a monolith. Her heart rate increased as she stared into his marble-like black eyes, leaning back, but she didn't move. He smirked and glanced at his group, nodding.

Calista gasped when the other three grabbed her arms and yanked her over the counter, throwing her to the floor. Scaaskal grabbed Catalina's arm, also shoving her down.

"No!" Calista tried to run to her sister, but the Mercearthian woman grabbed her ponytail, forcing her away. She struggled, trying to pry herself out of the three pairs of strong hands.

In horror, she watched as Scaaskal pinned Catalina down and raised his fist, aiming at her face. The 16-year old girl closed her eyes, awaiting the blow.

"NO!" She thrust her heel up, landing it between one of the men's legs. As he groaned and fell to the floor with his friend, Calista shot her elbow up, hitting the woman's face. She rushed forward, shoving Scaaskal to the floor and falling with him.

A crowd formed around the group, cheers and yells filling the bar as Scaaskal rose with anger in his eyes. He grabbed Calista by the throat with a growl. Gripping his arms, she pulled his elbows down, shooting her own elbow into his chin. The impact hurt her immensely, but it got her out of the choke hold.

She turned to the two approaching attackers, kicking one— again, in the nuts— and punching the other in the face. She cried out, holding her fist in pain. It had been years since she'd punched anything.

The Mearthian man's arms locked around her from behind, holding her steady as Scaaskal approached. Catalina stood, running to him, but one of the others held her back. "Get away from her!" she screamed.

Scaaskal smirked, saying something in a Martian language, and shot his fist at Calista. If there was one thing she wouldn't let them damage, it was her face. No one touched her face.

She leaned to the side, letting his fist collide with his friend's face instead. Her enemy still kept a firm grip on her, so she lifted her feet up and kicked Scaaskal away, the momentum sending them crashing against the wall. The man groaned, finally letting go of Calista.

She ran to Catalina, who struggled against the woman, and kicked the Mercearthian's knee. She pulled her younger sister out of the clawing grip and bolted to the door with her. "Let's get the glitch out of here."

They ran from the bar, through the library, through the atrium. Catalina stumbled, struggling to keep up with her sister. "Cali, wait!"

Calista didn't stop until they reached the launcher spheres. She shoved Catalina inside and hurriedly entered their neighborhood's launcher address. "Take us back, take us back, take us back-"

"Whoa, whoa! Slow down!" Catalina took Calista's hands. "Calm down."

"They're gonna get us if we-"

"SECURE will take care of them. Just calm down." Catalina breathed with her, managing to dissuade her panic a bit. "You... Cali, that was... that was amazing."

"Amazing? That was uber-crazy! Who were those guys? Why did they want to beat you up? Has this happened before? How many-"

"Whoa, stop sounding like Mom!"

"You need to find another job! That was uber-dangerous!"

"Stop saying uber..." Catalina cringed at the Socializer lingo.

"Whatever. Just don't work there anymore! I'm serious!"

"But- Cali, don't you realize what you did? You beat the bugs out of them!"

"I..." Calista paused. "I just... I just escaped. It's not a big deal. I just didn't want them to hurt you." She softly caressed her younger sister's cheek. For just a second, she saw more youth in her face, taking her back to when they were children. They were barely two years apart, and yet...

She looked at her knuckles, finding a small bruise forming. As the adrenaline rush faded, aches started appearing around her body. She cringed at the thought of the girls finding out. They'd kill her. She needed to heal her bruises as soon as possible before the girls— or their parents— saw them. Thank God her face was untouched.

She sighed and launched the sphere, taking them back to Earth. "Never go back there again. Understand?"

"Okay," Catalina lied.

As the sphere entered the atmosphere, Catalina crossed her fingers, hoping the little act was enough for Benson Kalley. She owed Scaaskal and the gang big time, especially with the bruises they'd probably gotten.

What do you think of the plan? Are you impressed by Calista?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 63.3K 31
Codi James is a chronic underachiever. A straight C student, her life is going nowhere. Causing havoc at yet another school it looks like she's headi...
516K 17.6K 28
accepting coach nekomata's invitation to be the manager for the boys volleyball team wouldn't have been so stressful if you were aware of your charmi...
3.2K 45 25
[reader] or Kali - Being the "Daughter" Of All For One being tortured and trained defeat All Might part of her life. She finally runs away successful...
79.7K 3.4K 31
You either become brilliant, or you get killed. When Alyssa was invited to a boarding school to learn magic, she was expecting something out of a Har...