(ON HOLD) The Forgotten Andro...

By midnightXcross

"Perhaps the time has come for us to consider that androids are a new form of intelligent life. One thing's f... More

Prologue: Detroit 2038
Prologue: Detroit 2596
Chapter 2: Thief
Chapter 3: Lord Ra9
Chapter 4: An Unexpected Friend
Chapter 5: Arena
Chapter 6: Remnants of Time
Chapter 7: Awakened
Chapter 8: Out of Place and Time
Chapter 9: Kara and Alice
Chapter 10: Memories like Stars
Chapter 11: New Detroit
Chapter 12: The Rebels
Chapter 13: The Plan
Chapter 14: Initiation
Chapter 15: Connor's New Mission

Chapter 1: City of Slums

891 37 17
By midnightXcross

Slums of Jericho (Formerly known as Detroit) - 2596

---

I put the finishing touches on the garment in my arms. It was a beautiful fabric, with silk as soft as spider webs, and a deep shade of blue as dark as night. I pressed my fingers to each of the golden crystals I had just finished embroidering onto it, giving it a shimmer whenever the dress moved. It was a work of art, and I dreamed that someday, I would be able to wear a dress as beautiful and whimsical as those I loved creating.

But I was not allowed the wear them.

"Alonce!" I called into the darkness of the work shop, and a human boy with dirt on his face moved into the light of my candle. "I need you to package this. Mark it for delivery to Miss Amelia. She needs it in time for Ra9's gala."

"Yes [F/N]!" Alonce called, his hovering chair automatically moving towards his workshop counter. He waved a hand over a light, and it clicked on, illuminated the table. He shoved aside the clatter of needles and fabrics, pulling out an automatic delivery box, and pressing the button to reassemble it. "What was Amelia's request this time? Let me guess, she wanted the literal night sky to be formed into a dress?" He carefully took the garment from my hands, and spread it over the workshop table.

"Yes, something like that..." I muttered, brushing loose strands of my hair out of my eyes. I frowned, as my calloused hands came into the dim light of the room. A thought crossed my mind, that I could buy some healing ointment from the local markets. The thought disappeared just as quickly, as I thought of how such a feat would cost me all my savings. That money needed to be saved for Lyra.

"How is Lyra?" I murmured, leaning against the desk as Alonce worked. He exhaled, a hopeless sound.

"Her condition is getting worse..." He explained. "She's lost all function in her legs. Soon, it will reach her arms too."

"It's gotten that bad?!"

"Yeah..." The younger boy nodded. "I... I don't think she's going to make it."

"She has to!" I exclaimed. "We have to stay strong for her. We can't loose hope yet."

"It's already been two months [F/N]," Alonce murmured, pressing the button to close the package. "She has only gotten worse. Medicine will save her, but even with our savings combined we can't afford it." He gently placed a hand on my shoulder, giving me a sad and desperate expression. "I know my sister is strong, but she is not this strong... I don't think anyone could live through what she has been through."

My heart seemed to die a little at the sadness in his words, and I brushed his hand away. I moved to pick up the completed package. "I'll take it to the couriers. I'll visit Lyra on the way back."

Alonce finally smiled. "I think she would like that."

Carefully, I pushed open the rickety wooden door and stepped out onto the ledge on the outside of the workshop. I glanced back towards it, seeing the words 'Cybersky Garments' glowing in neon letters, the most expensive addition to the entire building complex combined. Stepping away from the building, I felt dizziness wash over me as I took in the towers of rooms above me, and descending below me into darkness. The only indication that it was day time was the faint light that shone between the buildings, illuminating the path of scrap metal that I walked upon.

My damaged old boots made clanking noises against the rickety path as I darted through the slums of Jericho, moving between each building, and between the small pop up market stalls. Merchants called after me, offering their wares that they knew I could not afford anyway. I paid them no mind. I had a task to do.

I knew I was nearing the end of the slums when the sun began to shine brighter. Judging from how high it was in the sky, I predicted that it was nearing the middle of the day. The weary humans that had been around me before were becoming more and more fewer, until the only beings that surrounded me were 'them'. The androids.

I moved slowly through them, keeping my head bowed and avoiding eye contact with any of them. It was impossible to keep my focus away from them forever though.

They were beautiful. Flawless, superhuman creatures, who seemed to be from a whole other world entirely. Their skin was perfect, their hair soft and shining. They were angels in this apocalyptic world. They were also demons in my eyes.

Some of the taller androids giggled as I passed, looking down at me in disdain. Even without glancing at them, I knew of the disgust that would be in their eyes as they watched me in my faded and torn rags, walking in my old boots with holes. The most expensive thing on me was the little package I carried in my arms, addressed to Miss Amelia.

I walked slowly, allowing the dim light of the sun to warm my face. It felt good to be out of the dusty workshop, and onto the more spacious streets of the main city. Androids with wings flew past me, and I listened absently to the voice of Chloe through her floating hologram.

"In other news, holographic wings are on the rise. The most fashionable androids are all wearing it. Get into the glow today, by purchasing holo-wings at your local Cyberlife store. Multicolored LED lights are also experiencing a rise in fame, being worn by some of the most stylish androids in the fashion world today." I scoffed, imagining an android with a purple or yellow LED.

"The world's gone mad..." I muttered.

"That's all for the news," Chloe finished. "And remember to always pay your respects to our powerful and gracious Lord Ra9."

I felt a shiver up my spine at the thought of Lord Ra9. I had never seen him in person, but his appearance over the interstellar broadcasts penetrated fear into my mind. He was handsome and beautiful, as all the androids were, his dark skin and cropped hair causing the gold of his crown to stand out even more. Other androids thought of him as an angel. But those eyes, one blue and one green, were filled with emptiness so deep, it startled me.

I finally reached the delivery office, shuffling to avoid the humans that darted in and out of the doorway. Forcing my way inside, I stumbled towards the counter, practically throwing the package onto the desk.

"D-Delivery for Miss Amelia," I panted, glancing up at the young human girl at the counter. She would have been no older than thirteen.

"I'll have it delivered by tomorrow morning. Is that okay?"

"Yes... it's fine..." I murmured, still trying to catch my breath. The girl hovered towards a large screen, and began typing in the language of the androids, a language I had not been tutored in.

"That will cost nine gliphs."

"Nine?!" I cried, and the others in the office gave me a glaring look. I lowered my voice as I leaned over the counter. "It was only five gliphs last week."

"We can't help it," The girl explained. "The cost of cybernetic transport is expensive. If you don't mind waiting, we can deliver it for a lower price."

I sighed. It had been part of Miss Amelia's request to have the dress delivered by tomorrow. I knew that my savings were important,  but keeping my job was more important. I scrounged in my pocket, and shoved the coins onto the counter. The girl smiled, and quickly took the coins before they were stolen. She quickly counted them, before tossing them into a satchel around her waist.

"Thank you garment maker. We'll have it delivered on time."

"Thanks," I replied, turning and forcing my way out of the dingy and claustrophobic shop. After walking through bustling city, I felt exhausted, and wanted nothing more than to turn around and return home. However, I made a promise to Alonce, and to myself. I needed to visit Lyra.

I made my way back into the city slums, and found the small elevator shaft. I moved down, gazing at the houses piled on top of each other, making up the large complexes of the slums. On the fifth floor below ground, I stepped off the elevator and walked down the small path. Unlike the city filled with androids, this world was still filled with life. I heard children playing, adults talking, babies crying. This world was covered with dust, and left in the shadows, but it was still here for the humans. I found a familiar doorway, and stepped inside.

"Lyra, I'm here!!" I brushed my boots on the old door mat, and moving as quietly as possible. "Lyra?"

"I'm in here." I heard a meek voice, and I followed it into a dark room at the back of the house. I made the command, and the lights automatically powered on.

"You shouldn't sit in the dark like that..." I sighed, as I gently lowered myself to the floor.

"I like the darkness..." Lyra said softly. "I can imagine myself to be anywhere in the world, when I am not seeing where I am now." Lyra turned her head towards me, and I tried to stifle a gasp as I saw her face. Her skin was ghostly white, and patches of her flesh were beginning to peel off. "It's bad, isn't it?" She whispered, taking in my expression.

"No..." I lied. "You're just pale. Some sunlight would do you some good."

Lyra smiled at me sadly. "I'm dying [F/N]. Not even the birds come to see me now."

"You can still be saved," I insisted. I reached out to grab her hand, knowing that I could not take away her sickness. "I can't let you die Lyra..." I felt tears prick behind my eyes. "Alonce said you were bad. But I had to see it for myself."

"I wish things were different..." Lyra murmured, seemingly giving in through her words. "Please protect Alonce [F/N]. Even though he acts strong, he is still a child at heart. When I am gone, he will be alone..." A tear finally ran down her cheek, and disappeared into the crevice at her cheek. "I don't want him to go through that. No one ever should..."

I squeezed her hand tighter. "He won't. I promise..." Lyra smiled.

"Oh, I almost forgot," I muttered, shoving my hand deep into the pocket of my dress. I pulled out a small wooden box. "This is for you." I told her, gently pressing the box into her weak hands. I realized a moment later that the strength in her arms was fading, and that she couldn't open it. I carefully turned the key at the back of the box, and opened the lid.

Tinkling music began to play, and a little hologram of a dancer turned in the center. Lyra's face shone with joy as the lights of the hologram illuminated the small room.

"Hold on... just a little while longer..." She murmured the lyrics to the song, "Everything will be alright." The song continued to play as she smiled at me. "I thought this was for Alonce."

"He wanted to give it to you."

"Thank you..." She whispered. "Thank you so much [F/N]. This is the most beautiful gift I have ever received." You brushed the strands of damp hair off her forehead.

"You are the most beautiful gift we have ever received," I insisted. "And don't ever forget it."

I stayed with Lyra until the sun began to fade, and Alonce returned home. With Alonce by her side, I left, knowing that she would be safe in his care. But even as I stayed with Lyra for all that time, I saw how weak she had become. And I knew that it would not be long until it became too much for her.

I tried to hold back my tears, as the thought of Lyra dying flooded my mind. I had seen so many people die before my eyes. Even though Lyra was the same age as me, she was wise, and strong, and always seemed to see the best in others. She was my beacon of hope in this dark world.

Without Lyra, what would this world become?

As I returned to the surface, world, I moved to the markets with the intent of trading one of my wares, a pocket watch, for some food for the evening. Of course, there was not much demand for pocket watches, but some more wealthier humans enjoyed the aesthetic.

I moved between the humans, the smoke appearing thicker in the darkness of the evening. As I weaved my way through the crowd however, I noticed a certain object standing out more among all others.

"Miracle flower potion!!" The old man called out. "One sip of this, and all ailments are cured. This potion brings beauty and grace, like those of the highest androids." I stepped closer towards the stall, the light blue glow of the vial standing out above all other wares on sale.

The miracle flower potion promised health, and the almost instantaneous healing of disease. It was a potion that I knew only the rich could afford. Yet I knew that it was also a potion that could save Lyra.

"Do you have someone sick in your life, little lady?" The old man asked, watching me study the potion. I nodded without replying. The man waved a hand over the vial. "This potion will solve all your problems in the blink of an eye. This is the real thing, not a fake. Look at the golden specks."

It was true. The golden specks were still in the vial, something that could not easily be replicated. "How much for it?" I asked, and the man smiled.

"50 gliphs."

I gaped in shock. No one would have that kind of money, and certainly not around here. I tried to bargain for a better price, but the man was strict on his word. The cost for the potion was more than I would ever be able to save, even in a year. I felt a part of me descend into sadness as I realized that Lyra would have to die.

As I walked away from the markets, the watch still deep in my pocket, I heard loud voices behind me. I darted to the side, as a young boy ran past carrying a bag of blue apples.

"You get back here!!" The merchant called after him, but it was too late, and the boy disappeared into the crowds.

Even though it was wrong, the boy had given me an idea. It was a thought that I never would have even fathomed before. It was a plan that could get me killed, and destroy everything I had worked so hard to create. It was a dangerous plan, but I had to at least try.

Lyra's life was on the line.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 1.6K 37
There will probably be some fluff but there will mostly be smut stories. And I'm very sorry my miss spelling This is my first ever book so please let...
25K 603 84
Continuation of Modesto story who happens to intercourse with friends,mature,classmates,strangers and even family...
53.3M 378K 66
Stay connected to all things Wattpad by adding this story to your library. We will be posting announcements, updates, and much more!
96.3K 1.3K 48
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...