Playing Dirty

By Neon_chocolates

Desperate for a fresh start, Sameera Bhatt leaves Mumbai for Manhattan, hoping to put away memories of the pa... More

Description
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five

Twenty

16.3K 723 16
By Neon_chocolates

The look on Ryan’s face temporarily lifted Sam’s mood, and she couldn’t quite stop the smug smile from tugging at her lips as she watched him struggle to comprehend the small bomb she’d just dropped on his annoying head.

Serves him right for jumping to conclusions yet again. Seriously, what was his problem? Did he take her for the sort of woman who’d randomly flirt up some guy?

Idiot.

"Caine?" The words were uttered in a soft tone. His gaze ran over James, flickered to Sam and back again.

"Mr. Caine had his eye on a few of the paintings displayed here," Sam explained. "But couldn't make it due to urgent business in Montreal, so James is here in his stead."

Beside her, James stepped forward, right arm outstretched towards Ryan who seemed to have frozen on the spot, a blank look on his face.

“Nice to meet you, Silverton,” James said, his tone mildly pleasant. “Sam was just telling me about the proposal regarding the resort.”

To his credit, Ryan recovered quickly, the blank look replaced by a guarded expression as he grasped James’ outstretched arm in a handshake.

“She was?” he glanced at Sam, the realization that once again, he’d put his foot up his ass dawned on him. She raised an eyebrow, allowing some of the irritation boiling within to show in her expression.

A guilty look crossed his expression, but Sam wasn’t fooled. No, she would never let herself be fooled again into thinking this man had any respect for her. She was willing to bet the next time a situation presented itself, he would once again quickly jump to conclusions, and as usual, she would come out worse off.

She sighed inwardly, disappointment carving a hole in her already bruised heart.

“Yeah,” James replied and glanced her way. She forced a smile, forcing unpleasant thoughts to the background. “She's assured me it would be in my company's best interests to hear it out, and I must say, she can be very convincing."

His smile was warm, the admiration in his eyes seemed to transfer some of that warmth onto her. She beamed at him, the praise doing a little to lift her spirits. At least there was someone who could appreciate her

"That so?" Ryan's tone sounded oddly tight. His gaze flickered from James, to rest on her, his lips pressed firmly together, a storm clearly brewing in his grey eyes before they became shuttered, revealing nothing more.

"James suggested we have lunch together after the exhibit to talk more about the proposal," Sam told him. "I accepted on our behalf, hope that's okay with you?"

Ryan nodded and consulted his watch. "Yes, that's fine."

"Excellent," James said then turned to Sam. He touched her shoulder and smiled. "I'll go see about getting the paintings my dad wants then we'll head out."

"Sure. We'll be waiting at the bar."

His hand lingered for a few seconds longer then he turned and walked off. Sam watched him go, the spot on her shoulder where his hand rested still tingling.

Ryan muttered something under his breath, drawing her attention. She looked up to find him also watching James' retreating figure through narrowed eyes, expression dark and belligerent.

"Did you say something?" She asked, wondering what was going through his mind at the moment. He glanced at her, jaw working as though he wanted to say something but was holding himself back.

Without a word, he turned and stalked towards the bar, leaving her staring after him in mild surprise.

"What on earth is up with you now?" She muttered, rolling her eyes in exasperation as she followed his stiff back, regretting her decision to help him with every passing second. Instead of thanks, all she’d gotten for her troubles was even more insult to injury.

Well, lesson learned. Next time, she would mind her business when it came to Ryan Silverton. Probably best for her peace of mind as well.

Ryan slid onto a vacant barstool next to a woman in a blue strapless dress and drew the attention of the bartender. The woman inclined her head at Ryan, leaned in and said something receiving a brisk nod in return. Even in profile, Sam could see the woman was stunning, and from the bright smile she cast in Ryan’s direction, even a fool could tell this gorgeous creature was interested in the man sitting beside her.

Poor girl didn’t know just what she was signing up for.

“What do you think of the artwork on display today?” The woman asked as Sam wandered within earshot. “I’m looking to buy one or two pieces for my new place, but I haven’t decided on any yet.”

Since the stool on Ryan’s other side was vacant, Sam took it and placed her purse on the bar, catching the attention of the college-aged kid behind the bar. “Mint soda please.”

“Coming up.”

Ryan paused, drink halfway to his mouth and she saw his gaze slide towards her briefly before he carried on drinking, ignoring her.

“I’m not exactly an expert on art,” he said to the woman, his tone bland. “So, I don’t think I’m the right person to ask for an opinion.”

“Oh,” The woman sounded disappointed and Sam couldn’t help but smirk. “But, you’ve had a look around, did any painting strike you in particular?”

Desperate much? Sam was willing to bet her entire life savings the woman just wanted an excuse to hang onto Ryan.

“No.”

Sam almost felt sorry for the poor woman at the curt reply. Hell, even the bartender winced in sympathy at the shutdown. Embarrassed, the woman blushed, grabbed her drink and slid away into the crowd.

“That wasn’t very nice.” Sam murmured shooting him a glare from the corner of her eye. “She was only trying to make conversation.”

He spared her a glance and looked away. “That so?”

“I mean, there’s a diplomatic way to let a gal know you’re not buying what’s on offer.”

His lips quirked in the beginnings of a smile. “Care to enlighten me, Sam?”

“Me? Oh not at all.” Her drink arrived and she paused to take a long drink, aware of his gaze tracking her movement, sending heightened color rushing to her cheeks. “I’ve reached my quota of being helpful for the month.”

An eyebrow rose. “There’s a limit to charity?”

“Of course, especially since my previous attempts at it didn’t go over so well.”

He winced at the subtle dig and a guilty expression crossed his face. “I -”

He broke off, gaze shifting to above her shoulder and his expression once again became closed off. “Looks like Prince Charming is ready to leave.”

“Who?”

Sam followed his gaze and caught sight of James currently headed their way, and after taking in the expertly tailored suit in combination with his features, Sam had to admit Ryan’s description of him as a Prince Charming was rather fitting. And from the interested looks being thrown his way by female and male alike, a good number of people shared the opinion.

James Caine had the kind of aura that could turn every head and set hearts aflutter just by breathing out. Oddly enough, her own reaction to him within seconds of meeting him had been rather tame by comparison. Sure, she’d noticed how good looking he was - she’d have to be blind not to - but her heart had remained curiously lacking the necessary flutter.

She stole a glance at the man sitting beside her, glowering in James’ direction and sighed. Too bad her treacherous heart chose this one to flutter over. This way lay heartbreak and unnecessary pain.

“Sorry to keep you waiting,” James said as he finally reached them. He smiled at Sam, displaying perfectly aligned, white teeth. “The artist insisted on telling me the inspiration behind his work and just kept going on and on.”

“It’s no problem. We didn’t wait that long, did we?” She nudged Ryan, who had remained stubbornly silent. He shot her a glare but grunted in assent. “Were you able to get the paintings?”

“Yes, I’m having them shipped off to Montreal today,” James replied, then glanced at his watch and grimaced. “Shall we head out then? Unfortunately, I have another meeting scheduled in two hours, so this will have to be quick.”

“Sure,” Sam slid off her stool, stumbling when the heel of her right shoe caught on one of the crossbars. Both men reached out to steady her, but Ryan was quicker, his arm slid around her waist and pulled her against his body.

Sam swallowed, the heat of his body burning even through her clothes, sending warning flares of unexpected arousal shooting down her spine.

“Careful,” His warm breath brushed over her nape, and she shivered, goosebumps pricking her sensitive skin. The urge to turn and fully lean into his embrace came on strong but instead, she steeled her resolve and stepped away from him.

Her senses mourned the loss of his hold, but she ruthlessly pushed them down again.

“Thanks.” She murmured and grabbed her purse, all the while avoiding eye contact. Her gaze landed on James instead, to find him watching her with an inscrutable look.

“Are you alright?” He asked, his voice tinged with concern.

“She’s fine. Let’s go.” Ryan cut in before Sam could get in a word edgewise. Her attempt to glare at him was met by his back as he’d already turned away. She settled for planning the scathing words she would say to him when they were alone once more. Honestly, his behavior today was beyond childish.

James fell into step beside her as they followed after Ryan.

“Your friend seems out of sorts.” He murmured with no trace of annoyance, rather mild amusement.

“He’s just having a bad day,” Sam hastened to make excuses, her glare intensifying. “He’s usually a very nice person.”

“Hmm, I see.” James looked thoughtful for a moment then seemed to shrug off the thought and changed the subject.

Since James came with his own car, they decided to take separate vehicles and meet at a restaurant James suggested. Once they were alone in the car, Sam let him have it.

“What is your problem?” She demanded arms crossed over her chest as she glared at him.

Ryan paused in the act of fastening his seatbelt and threw her a wary look. “What do you mean?”

“Your behavior with James.” She hissed through gritted teeth. “You’ve been belligerent and almost downright surly since meeting him and he’s noticed. Have you forgotten why we need him?”

He stared at his hands resting on the wheel for long moments. “I haven’t forgotten. But frankly, I don’t like the guy.”

“Then you pretend to like him.” She yelled. “How hard can it be? You pretend to like me all the time, so do the same for James. Need I remind you how much you have riding on getting this project back? Or are you so ready to let your emotions rule over common sense?”

He stared at her in astonishment. “You think I don’t like you?”

She stared right back, chin lifted in defiance. “You made your feelings clear from day one. But that’s not the point. We’re talking about James and it has nothing to do with our personal relationship.”

He chortled and shook his head in disbelief. “On the contrary, Princess, it has everything to do with our relationship. However, you’re right, I guess I can pretend to like Prince Charming for the next hour.”

Lost for words, Sam fell silent as she tried to figure out what he meant. Was he talking about the argument they’d had just before she introduced James?

“What has our relationship got to do with closing a business deal?”

He smirked and started the engine just as a black BMW pulled up beside them. Through the tinted glass, they could barely make out James’ profile, before the car continued down the drive.

“Nothing whatsoever.”

*****

True to his word, Ryan behaved much nicer at the restaurant, though there remained an undercurrent of tension that even Sam could feel between both men as he talked about the plans for the resort and James listened intently, interrupting now and then to ask a few questions.

Content to let Ryan take charge, Sam concentrated on her meal while she listened. The proposal was pretty solid and it was clear Ryan had done a thorough job of putting it together. He appeared much more relaxed than at the museum, his smiles coming easy.

Her gaze trailed from his face to his hand, resting on the table, the long fingers tapping a careless rhythm on the surface, and her mind wandered into the gutter, imagining those fingers playing a different rhythm over her skin.

Longing hit her, hard and fast and at that moment, she wanted to experience being in his arms once more, to be held and caressed until her body sang in ecstasy. If only things hadn’t gotten so bad after that first time, maybe now there would be the hope of another time.

Ryan chose that moment to look her way and caught her staring at him. Their eyes met and held, his darkening with an intensity that sent heat straight between her thighs. Her breath quickened, goosebumps forming all over her skin even as she drowned in the depths of his gaze.

He leaned close, and alarm bells went off in her head, eyes widening in horror and anticipation of his kiss. Every cell in her body cried out in need, praying, begging for the contact.

“Sam?” His voice seemed to come from a distance, breaking her foolish fantasies. “Did you hear what I said?”

She flushed, startled to find both men looking at her with identical puzzled expressions. Embarrassed to be caught off guard, she straightened. “Er...sorry, could you repeat that?”

Ryan’s lips quirked and he shot her a knowing grin, not in the least fooled.

Impatient for updates and want to read ahead? Playing Dirty is available on Radish and Inkitt, under my username ihartcupquakes. Links are on my bio.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 11.8K 40
An ambitious Indian-American CEO mixes business with pleasure when she finds a hot-headed investor for a new venture. However, when forces threaten t...
31.7K 2.5K 52
☆ SWAN BOOK AWARD WINNER in Special Category. !UNDER EDITING! ♡*FIRST INSTALLMENT OF Soulmate-An Unbreakable Bond SERIES*♡ CATEGORY- General Fiction...
1.5M 62.1K 52
"Ashima come with me, we need to talk" Edward said and before I could react he took hold of my hand leading us out of the club ignoring my protest as...
44.1K 1.8K 32
Ava Shetty, a girl with an enchanting aura, had the power to sprinkle happiness wherever she went. With her protective older brother and loving paren...