Egypt

By dark_of_night

A tale about loss, love and friendship. More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen

Chapter Nine

125 4 1
By dark_of_night

Nine

Irisi lay on her cot, wiped out after nearly three days with no sleep. Her silky black hair covered the side of her face. Her grey eyes were closed as she slept. She had not seen the high priestess when she had returned, being too tired to do much more than sleep.

The pharaoh was outraged. “That woman!” he bellowed loudly to his councillors. “How dare she meddle with my plans!” he thundered. “I want her brought before me. She will learn what it costs to pry in my business.”

“It will be done, sire.” One said.

It looked like an army had marched upon the country home of Irisi’s mother. The pharaoh’s own guards surrounded the estate, taking the woman into custody. They brought her back, dragging her before the enraged pharaoh.

“My liege, what have I done to deserve this?” she asked.

“Silence!” he snapped. He was glad Atemu was not present for this. He had fallen into moodiness again with the disappearance of Irisi. “You have meddled in things that ought not to have been meddled in. I had plans, woman, plans concerning the welfare of my son, and you disrupted them with not a care for the consequences of these actions. You are under arrest until I think of an appropriate punishment. Guards!” he rumbled. “Take her away. Lock her in the cells.”

The high priestess walked in as the woman was being dragged out, “Sire, I have brought someone to see you.” She said.

Irisi had followed the older woman, wrapped in a cloak, the hood pulled over her head, hiding her from view. Her black hair was pulled back in a thick heavy braid. Grey eyes peered out of the hood, shadowed and weary looking.

“My dear Irisi!” he said, surprised. “You look exhausted.” He commented.

“Sire,” She said, bowing slightly. It was difficult for her to do so, being wrapped so thoroughly in the cloak. “Sleep is proving difficult these days, I am afraid to admit.” She said, pulling the hood down.

“I am sorry to hear that, Irisi.” He said.

The high priestess left them, promising to return in several hours. “I have news concerning your mother, Irisi,” the pharaoh told her.

“Oh?” she asked.

“She has been locked up to await sentencing.” He told her.

“Indeed?” she asked, as he led her through the palace to the gardens. “And what am I to do? I have been refused freedom by the priestesses. They say I have a greater destiny than what was previously planned.” She frowned, “Problem is, I don’t want a greater destiny. I don’t want my life planned out for me. I make my own decisions.” She scowled.

“What does the high priestess say?” he asked.

She hung her head, “High Priestess Calla has been nothing but understanding. But she does not think that I have any chance for freedom.” She sighed; “I am not one to lie down and allow this to happen!” she was close to losing her carefully controlled temper. She had worked hard to keep it under control for the last day.

He had never seen her so close to fury; she was always so calm, so easy going. He knew she had a temper, only a fool would think otherwise. He had stopped, looking at her in confusion. She had halted, closing her eyes and calming herself. “I am sorry.” She said shaking her head, “I am not normally so free with my anger.” She said.

“Do not fret, Irisi.” He said. “There.” He told her softly, pointing her in the right direction.

“Thank you.” She told him with a small smile.

He watched her walk away towards a bend in the path leading to the pond and the lilies. He left then, leaving Irisi with Atemu, whom he had made sure was there at this time. Irisi was still wrapped in the cloak; she did not want anyone to see her wearing the initiate’s garb that was the only clean clothes available to her. She turned a bend in the path and arrived at the lily pond. She was alone, but she figured it wouldn’t be for long. She had trusted the pharaoh in many things for many years. She did not doubt him now.

She sat down at the edge of the water. She ran slender, gentle fingers along the petals of a calla lily. They were her favourite flowers, so sweet and pretty. “Not a traitorous lot among you.” She whispered sadly. A single tear fell, staining her cheek and landing on the stones she sat on. She closed her eyes a deep grief threatening to overcome her. She took a deep steadying breath, focusing on keeping her emotions in check.

“Here I thought I would be alone.” A familiar voice said from behind her.

She froze, Atemu? She thought frantically. What does he know of my plight? What will he think when he sees what I am wearing? She wondered. She hurried wrapped the cloak more tightly about her thin frame. She had made no move to acknowledge him, waiting for him to come closer. She was almost unrecognizable, dressed as she was. He would have to sit beside her to see her face. She lowered her gaze to watch the lilies float in the pond. She still had her fingers on the nearest one. She removed her hand, laying it in her lap. Her other hand braced her on the bench. She was leaning precariously over the side of the pond, if she leaned to much more she would fall in.

“Excuse me, I was speaking to you.” He snapped.

She straightened, her thick heavy braid falling from over her shoulder. She stood slowly, turning around to look at him. She held herself as proudly as ever, but her face was a kaleidoscope of emotions. Her grey eyes were weary, her mouth mashed in a thin line of irritation. She had folded her arms across her chest to hold the cloak in place.

“Well, look who’s finally come crawling back.” He said.

She lifted her chin an inch more, the flames of anger sparking to life. “I do not crawl.” She spat back. “I did not come here to be insulted. I did not endure three days of towering rage to come here cloaked and hidden, to escape the confines of an unwanted cage, even if only for a short while.” She hissed, her grey eyes going hard with fury. “My mother has been arrested.” She said. “And I bet you have no idea what the charge is.” She stated simply, fighting to control her anger.

“What do I care why she has been arrested?” he demanded, his violet eyes angry.

She had never wanted to hit him so badly. Her hands curled into fists as she glared at him. “If your only reason for coming here was to insult me and act as though I am nothing more than one of those milksops who cannot seem to control themselves long enough to stop from fawning over you, then I will depart. Clearly you do not desire my presence any longer.” She said, turning to leave.

“I did not give you leave to go.” He snapped, grabbing her by the arm.

“Your father did not give my mother leave to abandon me in a temple, but she did anyways!” she bellowed, wrenching her arm from his grip. She stomped down the path, snagging her cloak on a tree. She tripped on it, sprawling on the ground with a startled cry. She stayed there, knees in the dirt, curled in on herself as she sobbed to herself. She rarely cried, and hated doing so in front of anyone. She couldn’t keep it bottled in anymore. Tears stained the cloak and left tear tracks down her coppery-bronze cheeks. She held the cloak tight to her, wishing there was someone who could turn her life back to the way things were three days ago.

Atemu glared after her, furious. He refused to follow her, even when he heard her fall. He stared into the pond, watching the lilies float on the water. “What did you do, Atemu?” his father stepped into view.

“What did I do?” he demanded angrily, “The better question is what she did!”

“What on earth are you talking about?” he demanded. “The instant you saw her you jumped down her throat. You made it seem like she did this on purpose. You have no idea what she has been through. Not only did you insult her, but I daresay you broke her heart, and hurt her feelings. The least you could have done was heard her side of the story.” He scolded, before walking off.

Atemu frowned, staring after his father. Broke her heart? What was that supposed to mean?

Irisi had not moved. She struggled to stop crying long enough to pick herself up and go find priestess Calla. But that seemed harder said than done. The tree that had caught her cloak was barely two feet from her. She shifted over to it, curling up at its base. There she stayed, pulling her braid apart, allowing her hair to cover her face from view. Her grey eyes drifted closed and she soon fell asleep. Atemu stayed still for a moment longer, his anger dissipating, before walking after Irisi. He found her, fast asleep among the roots of a tree. Kneeling beside her he frowned at himself, “I know you probably cannot hear me, but I am sorry. I acted the fool and for that I may have lost the one thing I hold most dear to my heart. I will find a way to free you from your cage.” He vowed.

High Priestess Calla showed up then, spotting her young charge. Her stoic face softened, “she has had a hard time of it the last three days, your highness. She was ever so worried what people would think when she didn’t show her face after the first day. Her mother’s betrayal broke something in her. I do not think I have ever seen anger like hers before. I do not understand how anyone could hurt such a sweet young woman. She has much going for her.” She said, bending to pick her up.

“Perhaps she should stay here a night, she might sleep better knowing she wasn’t in a cage.” He suggested. “I know that is the one thing she despises almost as much as her mother.” He told her.

She frowned, about to refuse, she stopped, looking thoughtful, “Well I am sure it could not hurt, and it is not like she will be surrounded by strangers. I will return tomorrow for her.” She said with a bow.

He scooped her up in his arms, holding her gently in his strong arms. Her glossy black hair cascaded over his arm. Her grey eyes, lively and amused most of the time, were closed tight in sleep. He thought back to their argument a moment before, and the way her flinty eyes sparked violently, how her hand curled into a fist as if she were about to hit him for all she was worth. He blinked; they had been through so much together. She had been around for as long as he could remember. When his mother died, she was the one to comfort him. When her father died it was he whom she went to for answers. And when she returned after an extended absence, it was he whom she had missed. And now, he repaid that loyalty by treating her like crap.

“You stupid fool.” He told himself, carrying her into the palace. He walked through the halls, going to the room set aside just for her. He set her on her bed, removing the cloak she wrapped herself in and covering her with a light blanket. He sat down beside her, brushing the hair from her face. “Sleep peacefully.” He whispered softly.

She stirred slightly at his voice. She rolled onto her side, her eyes fluttering as she came to momentary wakefulness. “Atemu?” she asked groggily, her voice sleep-slurred.

“Shhh, go back to sleep.” He told her.

She closed her eyes again, pulling the blanket up to her chin. Atemu left then, going to his own room, a few doors down. He sat up a long while, looking out his window at the starry night sky. He stood at the window, unsure of what to do now. There was little he could do until his father figured out how to get Irisi out of the temple.

Irisi woke at dawn, a habit she had for years. She stirred, opening her eyes to glorious dawn light. She smiled faintly, sitting up, the blanket falling from her shoulders. She still wore the initiate’s dress. Scowling she stood, going about her room, searching for something better to wear; there was no way she was going out in public looking like she was giving herself over to a life of temple service.

“Nothing!” she huffed irritably.

A knock sounded at her door and she groaned, “Come in.” she said.

“Good morning.” They said, walking in.

She turned from her closet to see whom she had as a guest, and smiled brightly, though her grey eyes were sad. “Good morning.” She said.

He gave a chuckle, “High priestess Calla assured me that you might like this better than the initiate’s clothing you wear now.” Atemu stated. “Though she did not approve of you staying here,” he commented drily.

She grinned as she saw the parcel he carried. “It’s not extravagant, but I assume it will be to your tastes.” He said.

She took it and held it out, it was a white dress, simple and yet it would do just fine. “It’s perfect. I do not feel like myself in this.” She motioned to the initiate’s dress she wore.

She took the new outfit and disappeared from view, changing speedily. “How long did Priestess Calla say I was permitted to stay?” she asked as she emerged, looking relieved. She grabbed the brush on her bed side table and ran it through her silky black hair.

Gentle hands took the brush from her as Atemu walked up behind her. He combed through her mane of obsidian locks with ease and a gentleness she did not know he was capable of. “I must apologize for last night, Irisi. I was out of line, and I would not blame you if you had hit me. I know you must have wanted to. I don’t know how I could treat you so terribly. After all we’ve been through together; I should have trusted you instead of losing my temper.” He said.

She turned her black hair a curtain of ebony silk and smiled, meeting his gaze, “There is nothing to forgive, Atemu, and you were allowed to be angry. I would have been too were our positions reversed.” Her smile brightened, “Now, how long did my jailor say I had?” she asked.

“She didn’t.” he told her, “She said she would be back later, she did not specify a certain time.” He told her.

He walked with her to breakfast, where she was warmly welcomed by all who attended. She willingly sat beside Atemu as he led her up to the table. She felt like she was back where she belonged again, and wished fervently that Calla did not come and get her. She could enjoy living at the palace, though she wondered what punishment her mother would get.

She was treated with more respect than she had ever been treated with before. She figured it had something to do with the fact that she had arrived on the arm of the High Prince. The Pharaoh had given her a small smile and an approving look to his son. They sat beside one another, talking in low tones when someone didn’t draw Atemu’s attention away from her. She smiled merrily as she listened to the chatter around her. Her heart dropped suddenly when she noticed the High Priestess at a table. She turned away from her as Calla gave a minute shake of her head. She relaxed after that. She would have some time yet before she was carted back to her prison.

She gave a small laugh when Atemu said something to her, her bright eyes dancing with merriment. He smiled back, glad that she seemed back to normal. He knew his father would do everything to get Irisi out of trouble. Until then, they would have to make do with the time they were given. He had realized some very important things the night before, and he wasn’t about to give up what he had just found.

After breakfast, Atemu had some tasks to tend to, leaving Irisi with little to whittle away the time with. She sat amongst a group of bubbly airheads who kept plying her for answers. They all wanted to know what it was like to be so close to the Prince. She said nothing, talking only to the older women who had no interest in the Prince’s love.

These older ladies found her charming and talked with her easily, answering her questions willingly, remarking in amazement over her long hair, and her ability to tune the younger ladies out as they babbled about Atemu.

“You must be so used to it by now; it is no secret that you and the prince have been friends for many years.” One woman said.

Irisi smiled, “It used to be a lot better, before he reached an age where it was acceptable to fawn over him. I could never be like the other girls, acting like a complete fool in front of him.” She replied. “I respect him too much to do so.”

The older ladies all smiled, “He is lucky to have someone as close as you. He clearly trusts you.” One said.

They spent a morning together, talking about various things. Irisi enjoyed it, something about it felt normal, felt good. It was after a small lunch taken in the room amongst the ladies that a knock sounded at the door. Everyone stood as the Prince walked in. They all bowed low, murmuring a welcome. Irisi had a gentle smile as she straightened up, to see Atemu before her.

“I thought you might like to know what will become of your mother.” He told her gently.

She lifted her chin, “Thank you. I would like to see what comes of that woman.” She replied as she took the arm he offered her. The girls twittered as they walked out of the room, the older women smiling indulgently.

He took her to his father’s throne room, where several guards and the Pharaoh were already waiting. “My son, Lady Irisi, come and sit,” The Pharaoh said, motioning them to sit by him.

Atemu took his usual seat beside his father, and Irisi was seated upon a pile of cushions at the Prince’s side. She felt out of place, but also felt as though she could get used to it. She knew her people treasured its women, believing them every bit as important as men. But the royal family were known for their good treatment of woman, especially those close to them.

Atemu smiled at her as she was offered a fruit drink. She smiled back as he took her hand in his and squeezed. He knew she wasn’t looking forward to coming face to face with the woman who afforded her so much rage. Her gaze softened as she squeezed back in thanks. He nodded his understanding, but did not let go of her hand. She was lounging in her cushions close to Atemu.

“Bring forth the prisoner.” The Pharaoh ordered calmly.

She watched as the guards dragged her mother forward to kneel before the throne. She lifted her chin and frowned down at the woman. She would never call her family again.

And so the trial began. The Pharaoh had come up with the perfect punishment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 3.8K 29
This is a story of you the reader being sent back in time to ancient Egypt where you fall in love With the pharaoh himself, but will he fall in love...
4 0 4
An Architect, a journey, an adventure beyond the veil of time.
1.2K 118 22
This is a story no one cared to tell as those people would rather not remember the loss but to remember the good of what happened.
7 1 30
The story of Love and Sorrow...