Exhale

By astoldbylani

23 year old Morgan Bellamy has tunnel vision. She works tirelessly to take care of the people she loves, putt... More

cast ✨ | disclaimer
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18

11

46K 2.3K 2K
By astoldbylani

Four days.

Morgan had been comatose for four days, and nobody was taking it well. Elijah refused to sleep at school, he made the hour commute to and from school every day to check on her and make sure that if she woke up he'd be in arms reach.

Her friends all came to visit her during all hours of the day whenever they had the time, talking to her and just sitting by her side. Samir on the other hand spent every free second he had next to his girlfriend. He talked to her about any and everything and prayed with her every single time he came no matter if it was once or three times that day.

She twitched often, usually when someone touched her hand or her face she'd twitch in response. The doctors told everyone that it was a good sign that she'd wake up soon. There were flowers decorating every part of the room from her coworkers who stopped by often as well.

"Hey pretty girl," Samir said, entering her hospital room with a bag of food. "I ain't eat all day man, your best friend has been running me ragged for two days now. I know he only let me leave because I told him I was coming to see you, my baby," he said, squeezing her hand briefly, receiving a twitch of her fingers back, making his heart flutter in his chest.

"I can't wait for you to get up, mama. I miss them pretty ass eyes," he told her, gazing at her relaxed face, she looked so at peace to him. After he said that, her heart monitor started speeding up again, and he laughed.

"You in here giving my favorite patient butterflies again, young man?" Morgan's nurse, Ms. Tia, asked, coming in to check on her routinely.

"My bad, Ms. Tia, I was just telling her I miss her," he chuckled as the nurse began replacing her IV bag.

"Well I'm sure that she misses you all too, she's trying, ain't that right sweetheart?" she asked, going about the rest of her duties as Samir ate. Once Ms. Tia was done, she told Samir goodbye and exited the room to finish up her rounds.

For an hour or so, Samir sat with Morgan, talking about any and everything until he accidentally fell asleep. He did this often, he'd fall asleep right next to her, sometimes at night.

Nobody bothered to wake him because they all knew this was where he wanted to be. They never told him to go home or to get some sleep because he'd just tell them no.

"Hey sis! Oop oh shit," Julian exclaimed loudly, but quickly shut up when he saw his friend asleep in the chair next to her. "This nigga sleep like a brick, I don't even know why I'm worried," he shook his head, pulling up a chair on the opposite side of her.

"I miss ya' ugly. Wake up soon because your brother is harassing me to give him more tattoos now and I don't want you to beat my ass if I crack and do it," he started, chuckling.

"Oh and I finally told everyone about the baby, Kiki wasn't as mad as I expected. She just yelled at me cuz I never told her about it in the first place, but I didn't want to say anything and then it not be mine, yknow? I know you'd understand me, best friend. But, the baby is mine, ain't that some shit? Ima be a whole ass daddy, mane. I already told Tara you the God mom, no discussion period. I think Tre should be the god dad but we'll talk about it when you wake up sis, promise," he said, rubbing her hand.

Soon enough, Julian fell asleep right behind Samir.

"What the hell is this? Nap time with Morgan?" Kionni's voice sounded as she came in the room, Treshaun, Talia, a sleeping Tristan and Elijah right behind her. They went and picked him up from campus today so he could come see her.

"Well shit, if we taking naps I'll get mine in right now" Tre spoke, plopping down on the little couch in the room. They provided Morgan with one of the bigger rooms in the hospital for recovery, due to her very high volume of visitors.

After talking to her for a bit, Talia snuggled up to her boyfriend, Kionni sat on the opposite end, and Elijah sat cross legged on the floor. It'd been two and a half hours since her first visitor and somehow, all of her friends ended up asleep in the room.

So since nobody was awake, nobody noticed when Morgan's heart monitor began beating out of control, alerting one of the nurses walking by. She rushed inside, checking all of the necessary things to make sure nothing was wrong before she briefly looked back at Morgan, and was shocked to see two brown eyes staring up at her.

"Oh my goodness!" the nurse exclaimed. "Welcome back pretty girl! You had all these lovely people waiting on you, how do you feel?" she quickly asked.

"M-my throat," she rasped out. The nurse quickly fetched some water for her, and while she was gone, Morgan smiled as she looked around at all of her friends knocked out sleeping.

"Here you are, darling," she said, helping Morgan take the water down. After she drank it she coughed a few times, causing Samir and Elijah's eyes to both snap open.

"MORGAN!?" Elijah yelled, once he was fully coherent, waking everyone else up. He was immediately on his feet and hugging his older sister, nearly in tears.

"You scared the shit out of me Morgan!" he exclaimed, wiping his face. She pouted a little bit, grabbing his hand in hers. Her throat was still a little sore so she didn't want to speak. "I'm so happy to see you, man," he said, squeezing her hand.

Every one else agreed with his sentiment, and as the nurse went to get doctor Hazel, everyone stood to greet her. There were tears and smiles all around and Morgan couldn't be happier to see all of their faces.

"Morgan..." she heard from her left, seeing Samir now standing, staring at her in shock. She sent a smile his way, recalling all the things he told her, from his days at work, to stories about his little sister, random things he saw throughout the hospital and of course how much he missed and loved her and all of his prayers. Just thinking about it had heat rushing to her face.

She waved him over, holding her hand out for him to hold. He made his way over to her, grabbing her hand and she gave it a squeeze like he did for her every day. Just by that gesture he knew for a fact she was listening to him every day and tears welled up in his eyes.

Kionni was the first to notice and hurriedly pushed everyone out of the room so the couple could have a moment.

"I prayed every day just for this, right here," he said to her, kneeling next to her bed. "I missed you so much, baby. I'm sorry I wasn't there, I wish this never had to happen to you. I-I was so scared, Morgan. I don't know what I would have done if I-if you didn't-" he stammered becoming emotional. She cut him off, pressing a kiss to the back of his hand, which was still holding hers tightly.

"It's okay baby, I'm okay," she scratched out, voice still raspy from not using it for days. He stood to his feet, now towering over her again, cupping her chin in his hands, staring intensely into her eyes. "I'm here," she assured him again, making him smile. A tear dropped from one of his eyes and he leaned down and kissed her forehead, nose and finally her lips.

"I hope you heard me when I said I love you, because I love yo' ass," he muttered, leaning his forehead on hers. A grin spread across her face and she nodded slightly.

"I heard everything. I love you too, Samir," she said savoring his touch. "So much," she added, and despite all the pain she was in and the circumstance, she felt at peace in his arms, she felt like nothing could go wrong while she was with him and that everything would be okay, as long as he was here with her, everything was gonna be okay.

After Doctor Hazel came back and explained her recovery process and wrote her out a prescription for the medication she'd need, she let Morgan know she'd just have to stay one more day for monitoring purposes. She figured that was the case so she wasn't too upset about it.

After a few more cups of water and about two hours, Morgan found her regular voice again, her throat was still extremely sore but she pushed through it.

"Julian Prince Grant," she called, making Julian snap his head up in her direction like he was in trouble. "A baby?! You're having a baby Juju!" she said excitedly, cheesing.

"Yeah I am, it's crazy huh? I hope you're willing to be her Godmother, I know you got your hands full with that one," he said, gesturing toward Tristan, who was curled up at the foot of her bed.

"Did you say her?!" she asked, mouth agape.

"Yeah, Nunu. It's a lil girl in there," he chuckled.

"Duh Ju! Of course I will," she said, her grin never leaving her face. "I'm so excited for you, y'all have a name yet?" he nodded, wrapping his arm around Kionni's shoulders, pulling her closer to him.

"Zuri," he spoke with a smile. "Zuri Amara Grant," he said fully, making all the girls coo.

"Aww! Tete's little stink I can't wait to buy her shit!" Talia said, clapping her hands together excitedly. Morgan was also plotting on online shopping as soon as she got home.

Not too long after the happy reunion, she unfortunately had to recall the events that led up to her being shot. She told them everything, from the time she saw her mother until she blacked out.

Angry was an understatement of how everyone was feeling. "You should have left her ass right there..." Elijah spat from his seat. Morgan's head snapped up in his direction, shocked ar what just came out of his mouth.

"Elijah, that's still my mama, she-"

"Nah fuck that!" he cut her off, shocking everyone. "She could have helped herself for years, she wants to be the way she is. She ain't did shit for you to have risked your damn life for her, Morgan! You could have died! You put your neck out for her ass too much man, you got fuckin' shot and we can't even tell the damn police because everybody work for that nigga! Everybody scared of him so now what are we supposed to do Mo? That's not your damn mother, she ain't been since daddy got locked up! You could have been dead and she'd still be high off her ass, not giving a damn about you," he ranted.

Although everyone agreed with him, nobody said anything. They saw how sad Morgan got at his angry words and didn't want to upset her further.

"Aight, chill out, Elijah, come walk with me," Treshaun spoke, standing up and motioning for him to follow. He reluctantly stood up, following him out of the room.

"Nuni, you know he didn't mean to get angry like that, he's just upset," Kionni spoke, as Samir rubbed her hand affectionately.

"No," she sniffed, "He's right. I put myself at risk. I was so busy trying to save her and pay her bills, I kept running back to her after all the wrong she done put me through. Look at me now," she chuckled bitterly. "This my own damn fault, I don't know how to let shit go," she said, voice beginning to crack.

"Aye! No, don't say no shit like that, Morgan," Samir said sternly. "It's not yo' fault you got a big heart, baby. None of this is your fault, I don't wanna hear you talking like that. This," he said gesturing to the hospital room, "is not your fault. You hear me?" he asked her. She nodded, solemnly, still a bit hurt at her brother blowing up the way he did.

She wasn't used to him behaving like that, even if he was upset with her or with anyone else he wasn't one to yell and holler at his sister. Once they came back in the room, Tre and let her know he and Talia were going to take him back to campus.

"Okay, be safe, let me know when you make it," she muttered. She gave Tristan a kiss goodnight, and hugged her two friends.

"Love you, Mo," Elijah said in a small voice, giving her a kiss on her forehead.

"I love you too," she said back, sending a small smile.

They made their way out of the room and Kionni remained with Julian for a little bit until they decided to head home as well.

"You leaving, Mir?" she asked, looking over at him in the chair. He was dressed very comfortably in nike sweatpants, and a hoodie with a t-shirt underneath and some nike slides. She hoped by that, it meant that he was gonna stay but she just wanted to be sure

"Girl hell no, I'm staying with you," he said, making her grin. "I missed you so much, baby. I know I said that already, but damn. Gimme kiss," he demanded childishly, leaning over on her bed. She laughed and met his lips in a sweet kiss.

"I missed you too, papa. I heard you talking every day, I was trying so damn hard to talk back, it felt like I was dreaming, or I was just watching y'all from behind a closed door. It was so uncomfortable, Mir I can't even explain," she expressed.

"I can't imagine what that shit must have felt like, I'm just glad it's over," he said honestly. She nodded in agreement. A nurse came back around and gave Morgan her four pills for the day, she had two antibiotics to take along with two painkillers, and once she was discharged, she'd have her prescription of pain meds.

She turned her nose up at the pills, seeing as she despised taking pills, and has since she was a child. "Now Morgan, you know I can't leave until you take them pills, sweetheart," the nurse chuckled, as Morgan groaned in irritation. She took the pills in her mouth, drinking some water, and, slightly satisfied, the nurse exited her room.

"Morgan open your mouth," Samir said, smirking at her.

"H-huh? Why?" she asked, with her eyes slightly wide.

"I know you ain't swallow them pills, lemme see under your tongue," he continued, making her roll her eyes slightly. "Don't get mad at me! You making it hard for yourself, baby. I already see Ima' have to fight with your ass with these pills huh?"

"Nooo, you won't," she smiled innocently. He shook his head with a chuckle, just glad to hear her voice again.

After work the next day, Samir returned to the hospital, just in time to take a now discharged Morgan home. As he was arriving to the receptionist desk, and she was being wheeled down in a sweatsuit brought to her earlier from her apartment, by Kionni.

She had a big smile on her face once she saw him, leaning up against the desk, twirling his keys around his finger, and in her humble opinion, oozing sexual energy. She didn't know if it was the way he was standing, the fact that he was biting on his bottom lip or the way that he was looking at her, but something about him made her want to do very bad things with him.

"Morgan? You don't hear me talking to you, baby?" he asked, tapping her on her thigh. She snapped out of her drooling and looked over at him. "What were you even thinking about, mama? I asked if you wanna eat?"

Dick.

"Nothing," she smiled, "yeah I wanna eat but I don't really have an appetite so we can just get whatever you wanted," he looked at her strangely, before nodding and pushing her wheelchair out to his car.

"Alright, you ready? Tell me where it hurts so I won't grab it," he asked once the made it to his car. She still needed help getting around, and walking since her wound was still very much so open and she was in pain and hadn't taken any meds.

"Right there, ow, shit" she whined, as he tried to lift her out of the chair by her waist. "Mir, it hurts everywhere," she bit out. Her whole abdomen was in pain and so was the entirety of her left leg.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry baby. We gotta get you in, mama. You want me to pick you up? Is that gonna hurt more?" he asked.

"I don't think so...can we try that?" she looked up at him from her chair.

"Of course, my baby. Hold on to my neck," he instructed, scooping his arm under her legs, making her hiss in pain when his arm came into contact with her left leg. He moved as quickly as he could, sitting her down softly in the passenger seat of his truck.

"We gotta get you some food so you can take these pills," he said once he got in on the drivers side. "We're gonna pick them up before we go back to your apartment aight?"

"Yeah. Are you gonna stay with me?" she asked, desperately not wanting to be alone. He jerked his thumb back, gesturing toward his duffel bag that sat on top of the seat, making her smile wide.

"You not getting rid of my ass till you're back on your feet," he told her, seriously. He was determined to help take care of her, even if that meant spending every night at her apartment instead of his own.

After their ride to the pharmacy and to get something small to eat, they arrived at Morgan's apartment, and were now faced with the task of getting her upstairs. He'd resolved just to carry her and come back for his clothes.

"Owwww, fuck man," she groaned out while he was trying to get her situated.

"I know baby, I'm sorry," he said to her, kissing her on the face a few times. He boarded the elevator, trying to walk as softly as possible so he wouldn't move her body around too much as to not agitate her. They managed to get the door unlocked as quickly as possible and he laid her gently on the couch.

"You need anything, mama?" he asked her once she was comfortable on the couch, eating up her french fries. She shook her head, just patting the empty spot next to her so he'd sit down.

He did just that, sitting directly beside her so she could lean back on his chest as she ate. Once she was finished, she was, in her mind, being forced to take her pills.

"Babe, I really don't have to. I can just sit here, it doesn't hurt that bad if I sit still, look," she demonstrated, sitting completely still, making Samir look at her like she was crazy. She was even holding her breath.

"Morgan if you don't take a damn breath," he laughed loudly at her earnestly trying to get out of taking the pills, knowing she was hurting like hell. "You not gon' choke, I'm right here, you will be alright, here" he told her, holding them up to her face.

"Oh my God, you're trying to kill me Samir? If I choke and die my brother's gonna beat your ass," she said as threateningly as she could.

"I'm just gonna have to take that chance, baby," he chuckled, as she reluctantly opened her mouth for the pills. She took a big gulp of water from her bottle and tried to swallow them down without feeling them.

"See? wasn't that bad, now you're gonna feel better," he said to her in a baby voice, pressing kisses to her neck, making her giggle. "You know them things are gonna knock you straight out, right? You wanna get comfortable? I can take you to your bed," he offered, rubbing up and down her arm slowly.

"No, I'm okay, papa. I just wanna stay with you," she mumbled, doing her her best to snuggle closer to him as she could without hurting herself. He couldn't help but smile at her, feeling blessed to be holding her again.

"You really love calling me papa, huh?" he asked her, stroking her cheek, beginning to toy with her bottom lip.

"Yes, I love it. I think it's cute, you call me mama, I call you papa. Very cute," she told him with a childish grin. "Can I have another kiss, please?" she asked with a pout. He chuckled at her, knowing the meds were kicking in just that quick and she was getting sleepy.

He leaned down and pecked her on the lips a few times making her hum in satisfaction. "Your lips taste good, Mir," she mumbled, eyes now closed. "I wish I could sit on your face," she whined, making him choke on his spit and laugh.

"You clearly need to go to sleep, you ain't never this bold," he said, still trying not to burst out laughing.

"Okay, night night," she simply said, falling silent.

"I love you, pretty girl," he mumbled, stroking her face gently, watching her fall deeper into sleep.

Twenty minutes later, Kionni was singing to herself, pushing open her front door after leaving Julian's house, and checking in at the salon, and stopped short once she said Morgan and Samir sleeping peacefully in the couch. She cooed out immediately, still not over the fact that her best friend had found someone she really wanted to be with and who treated her like the queen she is.

She snuck and took a picture of them, saving it to send to the group chat later.

Abruptly waking up from his sleep, Samir felt Morgan trembling in her sleep, as she was still leaning against his chest. Once he was fully alert, he noticed the distraught expression on her face and the tears in her eyes. He could tell she was probably having a nightmare and began lightly shaking her body.

"No! No..." she exclaimed, jerking her head away from him. He began to become concerned when she didn't respond the first time, trying not to panic.

"Baby...Morgan get up, mama," he spoke clearly, now shaking her a bit more firmly. "C'mon baby get up for me," he said, scared. Finally, she began to stop shaking. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked around, confused as to where she was for a moment.

"Hey, baby," he said to her softly as she craned her neck upward to look at him. "Are you okay? You were shaking, ma," he asked her, rubbing his hand over her head.

"I-I saw it all. I saw everything again, my mama, the gun, I-I heard the shots going off, I-" her voice cracked as she spoke. She was afraid she would have to deal with flashing back to something she considered the most terrifying thing that ever happened to her, but she never expected it to come as a dream. She felt so scared, like she was right back there, bleeding out on the pavement alone, afraid to die.

Wiping her already fallen tears, Samir wrapped an arm securely around her chest. "You're okay now, baby. You're safe with me, okay? As long as I'm with you, as long as I have breath in me, I'm going to protect you, you hear me? I will do everything in my power to make sure you're safe," he assured her.

Somehow, although they were just words, he made her feel at ease. She shut her eyes, taking in what he was saying and inhaling a deep breath. She was slowly coming to understand that nobody could truly calm her down and put her at peace like Samir could.

She picked her phone up, checking to see if her brother texted her, to make sure he made it back to school safely. She didn't care how mad he was at her, or for how long, one thing they never did was ignore each other.

booga💗: im here.

booga💗: im sorry for how i was acting mo. i just love you too much for you to be risking your life like that, i ain't mean to yell at you or nothing like that.

booga💗: i love you nunu

She cooed at the messages and typed up a response as Kionni entered the living room.

: i love you too babyboy ♥️ always.

booga💗: ❤️

booga💗: jamari said tell you hey, he won't leave me alone.

:😂 tell my poohbutt hi and he better be acting right.

Once she put her phone up, she looked over at her best friend who was engrossed in her phone, and back up at Samir who was doing the same.

"I love y'all," she blurted out, getting both of their attention. Kionni's face curled up into a smile, making kiss faces at Morgan.

"I love you too baby!" she cooed, jumping out of her seat to press an exaggerated kiss on her cheek, before making her way into their kitchen to get a snack.

She looked up expectantly at Samir and he was just staring down intensely in her eyes. "You love me?" he asked her again, licking over his lips. She nodded, starting back up at him. "Tell me again," he muttered, sending a chill down her spine from the intensity and sincerity in his tone.

"I love you, Samir," she spoke

"One more time, baby," he bit his lip, trying to hide the smile on his face.

"I love youuuu, Samir Rashaad Woods," she sang with a grin forming on her face.

"I love you, Morgan Artemis Woods," he spoke back to her sincerely, leaning down to kiss her.

"Oh really? That's what we on now?" she asked teasingly, pressing her hand to his chest.

"Hell yeah, you gon' be my wife. Have my babies and allat'" he said, pushing past her hand and meeting her lips for a kiss.

"Babies? Plural? Like with an S?" she asked him with a chuckle.

"Yup. I'm thinking....six. How that sound?" he asked, in a serious tone.

"Boy you got me and my coochie so fucked up," she laughed as they continued to joke around.

hiiiiii ❤️ we back with another update lol

aren't we glad morgan is up 😭 i didn't want my baby struggling too long, although i do have a little something up my sleeve lol.

thank you so much for reading as usual! i appreciate all the new readers as well as the ones who've been here, i luh yall 🤧 thank you thank you thank youuuu!

till next time ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

534 44 20
Even though this is a stand alone book, some of the characters mentioned in this story are from two of my other books. Love me now and Love me always...
369K 20.5K 42
21 year old, college junior A'mia Daniels has spent most of her life abiding by her overbearing and manipulative mother's rules. Equally overbearing...
THELOVECYCLE By Nay

Teen Fiction

356 19 10
18 year old K'asani meets 22 year old Ja'Voni on a depressing & helpless day, not knowing they were meant to be.🀎✨ π˜Ώπ™„π™Žπ˜Ύπ™‡π˜Όπ™„π™ˆπ™€π™: ⚠️IM EDITI...
604 20 24
26 year old Lena is in her prime but on her own. She has to find a job and find her true path before she hits 30. Family, friends and love all come a...