Blind Melody (Completed + Ed...

By xFluffBall

An eighteen year old Raiden who lost his eyesight to a car accident, when comes across a violinist and starts... More

When I Saw You
Pattern Playing
The Blooming Friendship
Gathering Up My Courage
Thunder And Lightning
Canvas Splash
Not A Forever?
Eternally Mine
Epilogue
New Story Alert

The Hard Times

1.4K 66 8
By xFluffBall

Raiden

I sat impatiently on my study desk, waiting.

"Is she here?" I asked

"Not yet, sir"

I tapped my feet on the ground restless.

"Is she here?" I asked again, within some five seconds since the last time.

"Not yet, sir" Gren replied in the same patient tone. So unlike me rightnow.

Okay, gotta wait. I let another five seconds go.

"Is she here yet?"

"Sir!" Gren's patient tone was laced with warning this time, okay I'm probably annoying him now.

But like I give a shit to that.

"Why is she not coming?" I know I sound like a 5 year old, cry-demanding his mother to buy him chocolate in the middle of the store.

"I don't know, sir"
Argh. Why?

Damn I'm not good with this waiting business.

"Are you sure the internet is connected" I ask poking the screen of the laptop placed infront of me on my desk, to lay emphasis on my worry.

"Yes sir, it is" Gren the epitome of patience replied.

"Are you sure?" If it's connected why isn't she online yet?

"I'm certain, sir"
I groaned frustrated.

"Why is she so late?" I stood up suddenly knocking out the chair beneath me, off to the floor.

"I know right, sir. Miss Carol is late by a whole 2 minute and 13 seconds. How dare she?" Gren said in his usual monotonous tone with extra sarcasm. Picking up my chair he pushed me back onto it as i scowled.

I sat down trying to keep quite this time. She is just late by some 3minutes, stop overreacting Raiden.

A landline phone kind ringtone brought me out of my thoughts.

Oh!

"She is here, sir" Gren said with a hint of smile in his voice.

"WAIT!" I shouted before he could receive the video call.

Running a hand through my neatly finger-combed hair, I then adjusted my shirt's collar.

"Do I look okay?" I quickly wiped any traces of sweat from my forehead. I need to look my best.

"You look dashing, sir" I grinned, lesser over Gren's compliment, and more on the anticipation of talking to her. I motioned at him to receive the call.

The ringing of the call ceased.

"She's waving at you, and smiling" Gren murmured softly. My grin widened as I waved at her too.

"I'm doing well Miss Carol, thank you" Gren said. Carol obviously asked him of his well being with sign language, as usual.

"I'll leave you two at it." Gren said. I nodded and his footsteps retreated out of the room, the door shut behind.

"How are you?" I grinned at the screen.

"I'm really good. And you look like you are in a good mood too." Came the mechanical voice, though slightly muffled and disturbed because of the call quality, but I can manage.

"I can talk to you today. Ofcourse I'm in a good mood." I smile widened if that was even possible.

"It's been a year today, since you left for New York" I sighed. My chin cupped into my hands, elbows resting on the table, as I stared into the darkness imagining her sitting infront of me.

My mind drifted back to the day when we were in eachother's physical presence for the last time. It was a year back, when she told me she was leaving and we had our breakup talk. Unlike what we discussed back then, about breaking up and never seeing eachother again, it really did not happen.

It took our panicked and anxious selves a little time to cool down, but once we did, we figured out a way to stay connected.

Though it happens with a little bit of third-person-intervention, the third person being Gren. We text daily, Carol writes down what's happening around her through out the day in text, Gren reads them out to me in the evening and I reply her in voice notes. Then we have our video chat once a week and occasional phone calls where only I speak.

It's difficult, if I state honestly. Long distance relationships are hard to mentain anyway, and it's even harder for us. But we manage, somehow. It's been a year and we are fine, going strong, stronger than before.

"I miss you so much" I heard the voice. Oh I want to hug her. I murmured a sad 'miss you too' back.

"How's school?" I asked genuinely interested.

"It's fun as ever. Rightnow we are busy preparing for the competition next month. I remember watching the performances last year when we were still new here. They were phenomenal." I nod and smile at her talk. She likes talking about her music school a lot, and I love listening to her. "Comparing to the winners last year, I don't think we stand a chance. I'm nervous."

"You will do fine, Carol." My concern evident in my voice.

"You think so?"

I nodded smiling "You are an amazing violinist." And I'm proud of you.

"Really?"

"Don't you know I fell in love with the violinist you first, before falling in love with the rest of you."
She stayed silent for a moment.

"Just so you know, I'm grinning really hard rightnow." Came the voice.
I laughed. Oh she is so cute.

"I want to pinch your cheeks." I cooed

"No. I hate it."

"Aha, that's exactly why." I laughed again and heard her chuckle.

"You will do well. Don't be nervous" I smiled lovingly at her.

"I'll make you proud." She replied and my face streched in a grin again.

"How is school for you?" She enquired about my art school.

"Oh the usual. But I like it" I joined an art school for blinds a few months back. I didn't wanna join it at first, since I had no confidence on my art. Carol made me do it. She pleaded me, forced me, blackmailed, threatened, and used any persuasive technique you can think of to make me give it a shot. And I'm glad she did. I like it there, really.

Our conversation went on and on, to random topics of weather and food and traffic jams and all the usual boring things. It never felt boring with her.

"Would you play for me?" I asked after a while, meaning her violin. She usually plays for me during our video calls, it's the best part of my week, listening her play.

"Sure" I heard the screeching of the chair on the floor, she got up. After a few seconds it screeched again as she sat down.

A soft familiar tune hit my ears, making me smile involuntary. I have heard her play this particular piece a lot of times, though I don't remember what's it is called.

I leaned back on my chair, closing my eyes. Sighed blissfully, enjoying my little private concert.

~•~•~•~

~3 years later~

"Do I look okay?" I asked strapping down my Braille watch to my wrist.

"Yes, sir." I heard Gren's reply laced with a muffled laugh.

"Are you laughing at me rightnow, Gren?" I put on a scowl, though I was hardly angry. I'm elated if anything and nervous.

Carol's coming back, today!

"Yes, sir" Gren replied now flowing in a full blown laughter.

Stop making fun on me.

"Gren I'm meeting her for the first time in four years, have some pity on me." I grumped.

"I'm sorry, sir" Gren, you hardly sound sorry rightnow. Atleast cease your laughing for the sake of pretending.

"I'm nervous what if I don't recognise her" I murmured. From a distance I relied on the sound of her footsteps and her fragrance to recognise her. Up close if was her familiar touch and that little ring she always wore. But it's been 4 years. Surely she would have changed, even I have changed. What if I miss on recognising her? That would be terrible.

"You will be able to recognise her just fine, don't worry about that." Gren's voice was genuine and serious this time.

"You think so?"

"Yes. You love her so much. When she would be near, like it happen in movies, everything would slow down, the air would change, you would know in your heart, that she is here." Gren finished with a dreamy sigh.

And I stood there bewildered for a few moments wondering if he is serious about the rubbish he is sprouting. But then seconds later, he broke down in fits of laughter.

Gren, for God's sake stop making fun of me.

"You have a girlfriend, Gren, don't you?" I asked after his laughing subsided.

"Um, fiancee." I heard the smile in his voice.

"And the longest you have stayed away from her?"

"Three days, I believe" And I'm suddenly envious of him.

"May the curse of long distance NOT fall upon you " I snickered

"Why do you sound like you want the curse to fall on me?" His tone accusatory.

"So you will understand my pain, Gren" I laughed this time.

"That's mean of you, sir" he murmured.

"Exactly like you."

I heard him let out a long sigh. "I hope your reunion meet with Miss Carol goes fine. And I would hope to meet her soon, too." He said in his warm genuine tone.

I murmured a meaningful thank you, picked up my walking stick and walked out, to meet her.

___________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7M 218K 20
"Rose, I'm sorry, but your eyesight will be gone by the end of this year." Who knew one simple sentence could change a life so drastically? Rose is a...
3.1K 189 67
Cory grabbed Bennett's shoulders, shaking him, the fury on his face almost frightening. "Cory, let go." he tried to shake him off, but Cory's fingers...
30 8 7
what happens if your partner doesn't remember anything of you , your love ,marriage ,your family after a severe car accident . And someone use this a...
245K 8.8K 48
Eren is depressed. His mom has died, his father has left him to fend for himself. And his best friend Mikasa has abandoned him due to her homophobia...