Eulia And The Butterfly Dragon

By JerrySkell

Since it's inception the Republic of Bountiful has been the only beacon of hope in a world dominated by the u... More

Chapter 1 Indenture
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 Dance
Chapter 4 Agnes
Chapter 5 Butterfly Dragon
Chapter 6 Fire
Chapter 7 Coven
Chapter 8 Homeless
Chapter 9 Outed
Chapter 10 Hooligan
Chapter 11 Dragon Flight
Chapter 13 Of Oranges and Dragons
Chapter 14 Becky's Birthday
Chapter 15 Soaring with Dragons
Chapter 16 Liaison
Chapter 17 Fraternizing
Chapter 18 Picnicking with Dragons
Chapter 19 Southbound
Chapter 20 White Flag
Chapter 21 The Mud
Chapter 22 Dexter
Chapter 23 Treachery
Chapter 24 Clandestine Operations
Chapter 25 The Night of the Long Knives
Chapter 26 Declare Away
Chapter 27 A Brief Moment of Domestic Tranquility
Chapter 28 Just Visiting
Chapter 29 Kidnapped
Chapter 30 The Long Wait
Chapter 31 The Tower
Chapter 32 Dining with the Devil
Chapter 33 Epilogue

Chapter 12 So It Begins

87 9 0
By JerrySkell

Magistrate Arsenio waited at his residence in Dexter for the messenger. There had been numerous riots and talk of revolution in several of the colonies along the seaboard. The harder he cracked down on the colonists the more determined the resistance became. He felt that the entire colonial empire was a powder keg. The railroads gave him quick access to areas of insurrection, but outlying areas were proving more difficult. He needed a powerful display of imperial resolve and might to dissuade the masses. He had a plan and it all rested on that young woman who escaped his grasp. Her slow, public and humiliating death on the wheel would silence any rebellion. He would nail her naked to the wheel and any accomplices to adjoining wheels. She was nubile and healthy and could be counted on for several days of animated and erotic entertainment as she writhed and wept in agony. Nothing like a good execution to silence and instill righteous fear in the rabble. He smiled as the messenger approached.

"Give me the news."

"Her name is Eulia Mae, she comes from Beaconsfield on the peninsula. She was indentured to a local farmer Ian Green. He adopted her. The property is currently under foreclosure. She has an accomplice named Phoebe Marie of the Cooper Guild. It's just a matter of time before we have them. They have no place to hide."

"Do you have a description?"

"Both are rather short, comely, seventeen, one blond with blue eyes and the other red haired with green eyes."

"Yes I remember her hair and those green eyes."

"The newer posters have very accurate pictures of them. Neither are well liked by their village and many were willing to assist our search."

"Why is that?"

"They have and association with a suspected witch, and many of the villagers simply didn't like them."

"When you catch this Eulia bring her and her accomplice here to me. Leave them unharmed, I need them hale and lively." The messenger saluted and left the residence.

*****

The mule train from the gold mine and minting center made its way across salt pan of the the coastal sand dunes.They were bound for a town on the coast to discharge their cargo. They had three dozen mules tethered together each loaded with freshly minted gold coins. They had about a dozen armed men to guard the caravan. The armed men saw the dust clouds in the distance and the approach of several riders and moved into a tight defensive group. "It's our guys, stand down. It's just the marauders."

The group of eight approaching marauders were dressed in long black coats and had their faces covered with black bags. They each carried a long knife in their belt and a short shotgun. They continued to approach eventually surrounding the defenders then brought their shotguns to bear. "We're hear to relieve you." Their leaded said.

"No one said you were coming."

"We just assigned ourselves.Very slowly dismount. Move fast or reach for a gun and we'll cut you down." The caravan guards did as they were told. They surrendered their weapons. "OK, take off you boots and pants and start walking."

"You can't do that."

"We just did, my associate will issue each of you a canteen it's a long walk to the coast. Tell the magistrate we are most grateful for his very generous donation."

The group watched as the caravan guards walked away, waiting until they were some distance off. "Well Jake that worked like a charm," David said.

"Each of you have you assigned contact," Jake said. "This money will fund numerous resistance groups. We'll all meet in two weeks, be careful and Godspeed."

"No one got hurt," David said.

"The next time won't be so easy, hopefully we got enough gold really help the rebellion. We can hit the silver caravan and then the gold a few more times. That will get everyone's attention and deplete the empire's coffers."

"They will be unable to pay their thugs.What next?"

"We raid and burn the magistrates mansion in Houston-Whittier late November early December."

"That will bring the entire imperial army south on the train."

"It sure will."

*****

Eulia stood at the stern of the ten foot pirogue using the long pole to propel craft. "These short dresses are fantastic, the hem is just above my knee and free of the water and mud. And those long dresses we would get wet and muddy and were hot in this damp heat."

"I agree, and I don't miss the petticoats," Phoebe said from the bow as she retrieved one of the more than a dozen traps they had set, "This one has a ton of crawdads," She emptied the trap in the large canvas bucket they had in the middle of the boat. Their butterfly dragons were flying about making their begging sounds. Eulia and Phoebe gave a large crayfish to each of the little dragons. "They always seem hungry."

"Mari and Boo have been gone two days now," Eulia said. "Mari mentioned that she's been visiting the other dragons again."

"How do you think our boyfriends would react to our scandalous short skirts? Are you ever wear your new rubber clad boots?"

"You're always barefoot yourself, Fee. I will wear them if I need to walk in the grassy shallows or murky water. I've yet to see a snake. We could always go to the village and prance around in our short skirt and see how everyone would react, That would be fun. I think our lack of undergarments will really focus their attention." Phoebe laughed in response.

"They would notice that. But it's hot in the swamp and we're working hard."

"You're right Fee, besides I like the freedom of movement dressed like this have."

"I was not well liked in the village, Euly. Except for a few cousins, you were my only friend. Very few people would talk to me."

"Indentured servants are shunned too, but you were nice to me," Eulia smiled with mischief, "I let you do all the talking and you had a handsome brother for me to flirt with." Phoebe laughed in response.

"I was really afraid you would be hurt by the busy bodies in the village. It was obvious you had feelings for Jake. A few cruel comments would have destroyed your budding romance."

"Living on a farm and not in the village has always been a good thing. Kept me out of the gossips watch."

"I think that was the last trap for today. Agnes said our dragons should be big enough to fly in another week, were should we go?"

"We should drop in on the covens then lets find the rebel encampment. We could surprise Jake and David."

"Think Jo would like to visit our island and come when we drop in on the men? Jake has several handsome cousins," Phoebe asked.

"Which cousin would make a good match?" Eulia asked.

"Jeremy, he's always been my favorite."

"They would make a cute couple."

"Do you think we can get Jo to go with us?"

"Won't hurt to ask. What's Agnes and Becky doing?"

"They have the other pirogue and are harvesting wild rice again. We get to do some winnowing later today." Eulia and Phoebe got back to camp and working together carried the large bucket of crayfish to a shady area just outside the kitchen. Rebecca was spreading the green wild rice on a large piece of canvas in the sun to dry.

"I got a whole boat full of rice all by myself," Rebecca said proudly.

"Becky's a real pro at rice knocking," Agnes said. She had a large copper kettle on the fire and was parching some of the rice. "Once this bunch has cooled you two can do some winnowing. I'll start dinner. How were the crawdads?"

"We have more than enough, I'm tired of salt pork. Crawdads will be a nice change," Eulia said. "Are you going to play your drum as we dance on the rice Fee dear,"

"Only if you sing, Euly dear."

"I want to dance on the rice too!" Rebecca declared.

"You'll get sore feet," Agnes said softly.

"Euly's feet don't get sore!"

"I've got tough old feet from running barefoot for years," Eulia said, then laughing, "you can join us but stop if you feet get sore. OK?"

They had a old canvas tarp on the ground covering several shallow holes in the dirt. They poured the parched rice on the canvas making sure it was centered in the hollows made by the holes. They stood barefoot on the canvas and Phoebe started a rhythm on the drum and both started their threshing song. They danced on the rice twisting their feet as it made contact with the rice. Rebecca kept up with them for much longer then they had thought she would before declaring her feet were sore. Then they put some of the rice on a wide shallow tightly weaved wicker baskets and began tossing it.

"Keep your back to the wind Becky," Eulia said, "so the chaff don't get in your eyes." When they finished they had a large amount of wild rice to put in storage. Eulia and Phoebe sat on the ground rubbing their feet. "Next time we go to town I'm buying leather so I can make threshing slippers."

"Excellent idea," Phoebe declared.

"Dinner's ready," Agnes called.

"Do I smell apple pie?" Eulia said happily.

"You sure do," Agnes declared. "There are a few ancient apple trees on the island."

"I love camping," Rebecca said as she helped herself to wild rice, crayfish and small red potatoes.

"Tomorrow I want to get some oranges," Eulia declared, "the naval oranges should be ready. I worked hard in that orchard and I'm going to take a share of the harvest."

"I'm coming too," Phoebe declared.

"Me too."

"Not this time Becky," Eulia said, "I'm not sure how heavily the trees are guarded."

"Bring your gun," Agnes said. "And be careful."

"Which gun should we bring Euly?"

"The short carbine. We can wear it over our shoulder and carries fifteen rounds."

"Boots?" Agnes asked. Phoebe and Eulia laughed.

"Never!" Eulia said. "We can each bring a couple of burlap bags and get as many that oranges that will fit."

"If this works we can make several trips." Phoebe said.

"I mixed up a new batch of mosquito repellent," Agnes said, "so go ahead and use it liberally."

"It's our new scent," Eulia teased, "perfume by Agnes."

"It really works," Fee said, "Boo demanded some too."

"That explains why my last batch went so fast."

"When can we go home," Rebecca said.

"We are home Becky," Eulia whispered, "Home is wherever your loved ones are."

"I love you, and Fee and Aggie," Rebecca whispered.

"And we all love you too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

308K 13K 54
When dark armies and evils of the past awaken in the 21st century, anicent powers choose four new dragon rider are chosen to be the guardians and pro...
251K 10K 32
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚
4.7K 396 49
Gifted to a monstrous prince and expected to fulfill his every whim, a nameless slave yearns for one thing above all else: her freedom. There may be...