English Literature 9695

By zaynnie_xo

This is a compilation of all the essays and notes I wrote while I was in ALevels. It must be noted that not a... More

Frost as a Modern Poet
Death And Afterlife-Frost
Frost's Philosophy of Choices
'Out,Out-' by Robert Frost
Frost's thoughts on Death
Frost's Exhibition of Sound of Sense
Robert Frost: Theme of Loss
Frost's Tone
Frost and Nature
Frost's Presentation of Men and Women
The Namesake: Gogol
Robert Frost and Jhumpa Lahiri
'The Namesake' by Jhumpa Lahiri Themes
'The Namesake' Opening
Northanger Abbey: Catherine
Northanger Abbey: Minor Characters and their Importance
Northanger Abbey: Gothic Elements
Northnager Abbey: Reference to Context 1
Northanger Abbey: Opening
Review of Characters in Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
'Northanger Abbey' by Jane Austen at a glance
Northanger Abbey: Mrs Allen
Northanger Abbey: Isabella Thorpe
Northanger Abbey: Title
Philadelphia Here I Come!: Gar Public (R&P)
Philadelphia Here I Come!: Gar Public (R&F)
Philadelphia Here I Come!: Ending
Philadelphia Here I Come!: Kate Doogan
Philadelphia Here I Come!: Reference to Context
Review of Themes in 'Philadelphia Here I Come' by Brian Friel.
Sweet Bird of Youth: Men, Women and Relationships Between Them
Sweet Bird of Youth: Clinging to the Past
Sweet Bird of Youth: Heavenly
Sweet Bird of Youth: Social and Political Milieu
Sweet Bird of Youth: Title
The Winter's Tale: Sicilia and Bohemia
The Winter's Tale: Seasons
The Winter's Tale: Reference to Context
The Winter's Tale: Importance of Hermione's Resurrection
The Winter's Tale: Reference to Context 2 (Opening, Important!)
The Winter's Tale: Presentation of Time
The Glass Menagerie: Amanda Wingfield
The Glass Menagerie: Human Need to Dream
The Glass Menagerie: Title
The Glass Menagerie: Tom as the Narrator
The Glass Menagerie: Tom as the Victim
The Glass Menagerie: The Strength of Presented Symbols
The Glass Menagerie: Laura Wingfield
The Glass Menagerie: Sentimentality and Tenderness
The Glass Menagerie: Reference to Context
The Glass Menagerie: A Modern Drama
Americanah: Relatability to Modern Readers
Americanah: Obinze's Mother
Americanah: Social and Political Issues
The Winter's Tale at a Glance
The Glass Menagerie Notes
Americanah Notes

The Winter's Tale: Themes and Further Reading

55 0 0
By zaynnie_xo

Jealousy:

After Hermione is able to convince Polixenes to stay we see Leontes absent minded and then refusing to hold hands. 'Too hot, too hot! To mingle friendship far is mingling bloods.' Act I ii.

'Thy mother plays' Leontes is convinced Hermione is having an affair with Polixenes and is letting his jealousy consume him. Act I ii.

'Be cured of this diseased opinion.' says Camillo referring to Leontes' jealousy. Act I ii.

'I must be the poisoner of good Polixenes' -Leontes' jealousy went so far he wanted Polixenes poisoned. Act I ii.

'How should this grow' Polixenes says which represents Leontes' jealousy growing. Act I ii.

Leontes sends Hermione to prison for a trial later. Crossing a limit. Act II i.

Antigonus says 'You are abused and by some putter on that will be damned for it. Would I knew the villain!' His jealousy is the villain Act II i.

Ironically Leontes is prisoner to is jealousy.

Makes him appear mad as everyone in the play protests Hermione's innocence.

'You are mad.' Paulina says. Act II iii.

Apollo's oracle says: 'Leontes is a jealous tyrant.' Act III ii.

In his fury Leontes denies the revelation and is punished for his jealousy by the death of Hermione and Leontes. Act III ii.

The lack of motive for Leontes' jealousy is criticised as weakness.

It could be argued that Shakespeare does not wish to analyse jealousy but use it as the onset to the vil cycle in his play which is quickly followed by repellence and reconciliation.

Rebirth:

Rebirth of Perditha as a Shepherd's daughter. Act III iii.

When ladies discuss Hermione's pregnancy it is discussed as a joyful experience and the renewal of life. Act II i.

Perditha represents the powerful force of nature which is uncorrupted by civilisation. Also expresses joy in creation and fertility. Brings spring with her which is the season of rebirth. Act IV iv.

Marriage between Perditha and Florizel symbolises chances, nature, regeneration and fertility. Act V ii.

Rebirth of Hermione. Act V iii.

Regeneration of characters' broken bonds. Act V ii & iii.

Forgiveness and Reconciliation:

Leontes' 16 years of penance and mourning. Cleomenes: 'Sir you have done enough, ad have performed a saint like sorrow.' Act V i.

In Act V it is explained how Leontes has mourned and never remarried.

Repentance followed by forgiveness, mercy and grace as Hermione is restored. Act V iii.

Perditha and Hermione's revival completes the cycle as repentance brings forgiveness and forgiveness brings reconciliation.

Spring after long winter.

Illusion and Disguise and Reality:

Leontes' jealousy is an illusion which blinds him even from the truth of the oracle. Act III ii.

Perditha lives for 16 years disguised as a Shepherd's daughter.

Florizel disguises himself to meet her. He is blinded by his love, yet it is not an illusion, it is real. 'I am heir to my affection' (my fav, always gets me) Act IV iv.

Hermione points out Leontes' delusions: 'My life stands in the level of your dreams.' Act III ii.

Theme presented in a light hearted tone through the character: Autolycus. —> he dresses up as a man in need of help. Fools the clown, robs him. Act IV iv—> Disguises himself as a merchant and robs people while they are lost in awe of his illusions. Act IV iv. —> disguises himself as a courtier to for shepherd and clown. Act IV iv, although he meant to give them a hard time, he ended up helping everyone. Thus the idea of intention vs outcome.

Polixenes and Camillo disguise themselves as common men to spy on Florizel, the disguise comes off due to Polixenes' wrath. Act IV iv.

Hermione disguised as a statue—> allowing herself to live in hiding until Perditha is found back. Act IV iii.

Archidamus at the start 'We will give you sleepy drinks'.

No reality can alter Leontes' and Polixenes' friendship but illusion will.

Isolated himself from objective communication and is left with his wrong illusions.

Abusing free will and power as the king.

A stereotype: Human nature disrupted by insanity.

Rejects oracle trying to bring himself to god's level.

Paulina and the baby weaken his illusions so he punishes them.

Trusts no judgement bu this own, 'You're liars all!'. Death of Mamillius shatters illusions.

Friendship:

Polixenes and Leontes Act I ii, referring to each other as brother.

Valued over marriage at that time, an ideal bond developed during innocence of childhood and 'interrupted by their adolescent interest in women.'

Leontes and Polixenes friendship characterised by rivalry and Leontes' jealous fears that his wife has come between them.

Paulina and Hermione's friendship- her fierce loyalty.

Youth and Old Age:

Older generation is responsible for the loss of innocence, disunion of family and friends and immense suffering and heartache.

Perditha and Florizel heal all those wounds.

Not all sins of the older generation are redeemed, example: permanent deaths of young Mamillius, Act III ii, and old Antigonus Act III iv.

Gender:

Leontes' hateful ideals about women dominate the first three acts. —> reveals crude and misogynistic attitude after overcome by jealousy. —> all women are dishonest and disloyal Act I ii —> 'should all despair that have revolted wives, the tenth of mankind would hang themselves.' —> later gives uttermost respect to Paulina and love to Perditha+ Hermione. Act V.

Polixenes although seen to be very respectful has a harsh attitude towards Perditha due to her background. Act IV iv.

Context:

1607-1614

Considered problem play—> mix of genres.

Breaks a lot of rules —> until of time/place.

Cliche.

From a time when kings were considered god chosen and women tossed aside.

Representation of pastoral imagery —> common, uncommon for shepherd to be rich.

Said to be a copy/plagiarism of Robert Greene's 'Pandosto: The Triumph of Time' with a different ending.

During his time plays were made adjustments to so we don't know how much of it is Shakespeare's work, whether the ending was intended or the editors made it so to avoid plagiarism accusations and to give a happy ending.

Shakespeare makes a statement that both genders honour is important.

Was considered unplayable due to its complexity.

Title:

Winter's Tale means an 'old wives tale' —> fairytales.

Mamillius predicts that it is a sad tale and it is 'best for winter'.

First half of play deals with winter.

Revelation of oracle—> tragic climax.

Long Winter for Leontes.

Style and Language:

Third person—> free wheeling, follows different characters.

Nobility speaks in poetry while poor speak in prose yet we see how Leontes never switches to prose in anger but his language is not that of a king. Perditha remains in poetry, Shepherd switches to poetry after getting rich —> blank verse.

Every character has their individual style—> Hermione's noble, Perditha's fresh, Paulina's blunt.

Dramatic Irony.

Semantic Field —> allegory, irony, contrast.

Music —> Hermione's resurrection, Perditha and Autolycus.

Symbolism:

Lamb—> innocuous friendship.

Bear—> symbolises Leontes' wrath and punishment + destroys all evidence of Perditha.

Seasons.

Time.

Hermione's statue.

Flowers —> bastard flowers.

Storm —> anger of nature.

Names:

Leontes—> Lion

Hermione—> Stone

Perditha—> Lost and Found

Autolycus—> Greek mythology—> Robber

Camillo—> noble

Paulina—> the apostle, humble

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 41 8
**** fun fact Absolem is of Hebrew Origin and means "father is Peace"☮ 😁**** Chitose (meaning 'ascend with the strength of a thousand' origin Japane...
983K 16.1K 89
No one ever thought Bryce would end up with a girl like her. Obviously damaged, innocent, unattached to social media, quiet, no drugs, no alcohol, no...
28.1K 1.7K 92
Life in the Night Court is difficult for Lysander Marzena between juggling his official duties and personal affairs. As a high-ranking Illyrian warri...
3.2K 296 85
Regular updates every Saturday. Hey there my dear poem lovers! I am DrishKing008. I have been writing lots of poems for so much time. I just thought...