Don't Blame Me ➵ Steve Harrin...

By jackieburkharts

YOU'VE BEEN LYING THIS WHOLE TIME ! DEC 3 2017 - SEPT 24 2021 More

don't blame me
mixtape!
PART A
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
PART B
mixtape 2!
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
PART C
mixtape 3!
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
NOT A NEW CHAPTER!
VOL. II
forty eight
forty nine
fifty
fifty one
fifty two
fifty three
fifty four
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty
sixty one

thirty

10.3K 380 82
By jackieburkharts

CHAPTER THIRTY
" YOU AND ME, THERE'S NOTHING LIKE THIS "

DYLAN LAID ON HER STOMACH, STARING OUT NANCY'S bedroom window, her palm pressed against her chin. Nancy was explaining something in some textbook but unlike their usual study sessions, Dylan wasn't listening. She was staring out the window, thinking of Steve, slightly hungover.

There was a thud. Dylan glanced over her shoulder, Nancy had closed the textbook. When they locked eyes, Nancy lifted a brow.

"What did I just say?"

Dylan paused. "To be perfectly honest, I have no clue."

"That's what I thought," Nancy chuckled. "What's on your mind?"

Dylan frowned. She thought of Steve, angry and upset, in the darkened hallway. "Steve. He's mad at me because he doesn't believe me and I don't know how to convince him that he's wrong."

"And history repeats itself."

Nancy the Slut Wheeler flashed in her mind. But it wasn't weird, oddly enough, that the two girls had a shared experience, Dylan was actually relieved to have someone potentially give her good advice. If Barb were alive, the two girls would never have been friends—too busy fighting for the attention of Barb and Steve. But now that all the secrets were revealed and the dust settled, the two actually got along very well.

Nancy rolled over so both girls were laid down facing the window. "So what happened?"

"Billy and I went for a drive," Nancy's face scrunched, "don't give me that look! He wanted to talk. He was harassing me so I gave in. Steve thinks it was something else and Billy let him believe it."

"Of course he did," Nancy's judgment was evident on her face. "I don't know why you even dated him at all—not that I can say much, I dated Steve before he was reformed."

"Reformed, nice word choice," Dylan thought back to Steve, her best friend, popular, Nancy's sort-of-horrible boyfriend. He wasn't as much of a dick as he was before but he still liked to jump to conclusions. "Anyway, let's not judge my past. I'm trying my best to be a good girlfriend."

"The Dylan Holland is worried about being a good girlfriend?" Nancy mocked, throwing her head in laughter. "Look, if I know Steve he's probably going to throw a rock at your window in the middle of the night and pour his heart out with apologies. Especially for you."

Dylan sighed. She hoped he would have come by the night before and she had waited by the phone all afternoon. Nothing. But Nancy helped her remain hopeful. "I can't study any longer. I'm too tired worked up. What's open on Sunday evening?"

The bell over the door chimed. Jonathan walked into Midway Eatery, a soppy grin directed as his girlfriend. "We always find ourselves here, don't we?"

Jonathan glanced at Dylan. "I'm starting to think we're forming, a small, but intimate friend group."

Dylan smiled at him, genuine. "Yeah. And pigs fly."

The bell chimed once again. Dylan's heart leaped, hoping by coincidence it was Steve. Instead it was Carol and Nicole. Dylan quickly looked away but the two former best friends had already locked eyes.

Carol gave her a slimy smile and sauntered over to their table. Dylan muttered 'Fuck' under her breath.

"Dylan, nice to see you," Carol gaze spread over the table, inspecting Dylan's company. "I see you're still hanging with... nobodies. Princess, how are you?"

Nancy didn't reply to her old, and unwanted, nickname. Carol didn't greet Jonathan.

"Nicole and I are getting shakes, you could join us at our table," Carol pointed somewhere further down the diner. Dylan didn't have to look over her shoulder to know where Carol was referencing. She'd sat there almost every second day until last year. "We could catch up."

Dylan was unsurprised and unfazed by Carol's sudden attitude adjustment. She needed Dylan again now that Tommy was out of the picture.

"I'm fine here, thanks." Dylan said curtly.

Not used to being turned down, Carol narrowed her eyes at Dylan. "Where's Steve?" Carol asked with intent to spite. "I heard you guys had a super big fight at Tina's. Did you break up?"

Dylan pretended to look around and then feigned confusion. "Where's Tommy H., Carol? That's right—you guys did break up."

Carol folded her arms. "Whatever. If you ever want to be cool again, Dyl, you know where we are."

"Oh, Carol—I'm still cool," Dylan smirked, pleased by Carol's displeasure. "I just don't have to remind people every five minutes. Some might say that makes me cooler."

Even Nicole had to hide her amusement, covering her mouth with her hand and faking a cough. Carol left in a haste.

Nancy sipped her coffee, eyes wide. "You didn't have to go straight for her jugular."

Dylan shrugged. "She hit a nerve, thinking she knew anything about Steve."

Jonathan nodded. "I gotta say much more amusing to see you from the other side. That wrath you have, it's a weapon," he lifted the camera that was hung on a strap around his neck. "Here let me get a snap of the aftermath."

Dylan posed casually, sliding over in her chair slightly so Carol could be seen behind her in the shot, and gave her most smug expression. Jonathan chuckled and the camera flashed.

"Get one of Nancy, too," Dylan suggested. "She looks right at home with her coffee mug. Like a Folgers ad or something."

Jonathan took a few more photos and Dylan ordered asked their waitress for another round of coffee. She was laughing at Jonathan as he took photos of Nancy incessantly. Nancy's face had reddened in colour by the fourth shot. She hardly noticed the fourth person slide into the booth, distracted. But she was turned to look, she was met with a happy surprise.

"Steve," she said, her voice warm and relieved. "I'm sorry—"

"Look, I was stupid, I'm sorry—"

Their apologies muddled together and the couple stopped talking to look at each other with knowing glances. "How'd you know we were here?"

"I called Jonathan to ask if you were with Nancy, I didn't want to look desperate," Dylan shifted to Jonathan, he held his hands up in defence. He was smooth at keeping secrets. "He told me you were all coming here."

"You wouldn't have looked desperate," Dylan said to him. "Honestly, I was waiting by the phone."

She could feel the stares of Nancy and Jonathan but she ignored them, knowing she'd be embarrassed if she acknowledged that they were watching.

"Wanna get outta here?" Steve jingled his keys. Dylan nodded, glad she had let Nancy drive after all.

Dylan laid a five dollar bill on the table and bid her friends goodbye.

"Bye, lovebirds!" Nancy called after them, not missing the chance to humiliate Dylan.

Steve's hand slid into hers and they walked out the door into the crisp winter air. It wasn't snowing, too frigid for that. Steve's red BMW stood out against the black-and-white of the parking lot.

"You know," Steve started the car. It's engine purred.  "I still don't know why'd you even go for a drive with him."

"I thought maybe if I heard him out, he'd leave me alone. I think I just instigated him further."

Steve stared at her blankly. "You're an idiot for thinking that," his lips began to twitch, though, before the sentence was even out.

"Sometimes," she agreed. "But that makes two of us."

They pulled out of the lot. "I know you were at a diner but did you eat yet?"

She shook her head. "Nope. I consumed like five cups of coffee, though. I think I've got the shakes."

"God, gross, coffee is so disgusting," he stuck out his tongue, "but anyway, you'd never guess, my mom is actually cooking something. Wanna come over?"

"Lets go. I hope it's her famous chicken penne."

Steve placed one hand on her thigh, giving it a squeeze as he drove.

It's my bday! So here's a happy chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.1K 544 60
[ 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐃 ] ♥︎ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒑𝒔 𝒊 𝒖𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒄𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆, 𝒔𝒐 𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒆𝒕, 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐧 « 𝑖𝑚𝑎𝑔𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑...
1.1K 20 13
❛Always an angel, never a god ❜ {fem√oc × male^oc} Started: january 9, 2024 Ended:????
36.1K 399 80
imagines from all seasons! requests are open! !!STRANGER THINGS SPOILERS!!
208K 4K 37
❝how many times, dad! i don't do drugs. it's only marijuana. ❞ [gif imagines & regular imagines for every season!]