This Isn't The End {Stiles St...

Da SiriusCatBennett

Sometimes Rae Martin didn't know whether to strangle or kiss Stiles Stilinski. It usually leaned towards the... Altro

This Isn't The End {Stiles Stilinski}
Trailer
Epigraph
Prologue
WHAT (An A/N story)
The New Girl
Training Day
5. Seconds. of. Fucking. Summer
Jealous Stiles
Scott's Eyes Glow?!
So I Made a Thing... (A/N)
A Little Ali Argent, A Little Isaac Baehey
Is There a Word Worse Than Disaster?
Sharing the Love
Blue Eyed Boy
Stupid Derek. Stupid Teenagers
Class Schedule (A/N)
The Alpha
Tunnel Vision
Nogitsune (A/N)
The Reckoning
Tipping the Scales
The Art of Understanding
Misconceptions
Flurry of Emotion
Avid Avoidance
Uncle Peter
Red
Preparations for Battle
Biological Makeup
And Everything Comes Crashing Down
This is the End
๐ŸŽŠ Sequel ๐ŸŽŠ

The Healing Touch of a Friend

616 26 134
Da SiriusCatBennett

Chapter 7: The Healing Touch of a Friend

Rolling over, it took me a moment to realize that the bed I was in was not actually my own. Slightly startled, I glanced around me, noticing the small things (like the Darth Vader bobblehead I had gotten him for Christmas) that made up Stiles Stilinski's room.

Turning around, my eyes darted frantically to see if he was in the bed beside me, a sigh of relief floating from my lips as I realized he must have slept on the couch. Falling back against the covers, I recalled all that had happened the night before as a groan fell from my mouth.

Grabbing a pillow from behind my head, I pushed it over my face, not wanting to face anything that had to do with anybody today.

Sighing, I thanked god it was the weekend and continued lying in my cocoon of blankets and pillows until I heard a soft knock on the door. Shortly after, I heard the door slowly opening and a soft chuckle before it shut again.

"Are you dead?" Came his amused voice, seeming to be standing right over me.

"Go away." Was the throaty groan that came out of my mouth, my voice cracking from all the screaming last night.

"No can do comrade. Get up, dad made breakfast." I started to feel light pushes on my arms over the blankets and groaned loudly, causing Stiles to laugh.

"I hate everything. Go away." All I heard was a chuckle before shuffling noises emerged. Before I knew it, I was being pulled, blankets and all, off of Stiles' bed.

A noise like a screeching cat emerged from my throat as I tried to claw my way onto the bed, but it was too late. 

My cocoon had betrayed me.

Falling onto the ground didn't hurt too bad with all the padding as Stiles proceeded to pick me up and haul me over his shoulder and down the stairs. Wriggling like a caterpillar, I yelled at him to let me go.

He did not listen.

Eventually, I heard a deeper chuckle and realized we were in the kitchen, the smell of bacon and John's laughter echoing around us.

"Put her down Stiles. The poor girl is probably suffocating." Despite his words, I could hear the smile in his voice and the soft chuckle that escaped his lips afterward. Luckily, for once, the son listened to his father and set me down on the ground.

Crawling out of my safe haven, I knew I looked like hell when I got out; glaring at everything around me, messy hair, makeup still on my face from last night, streaking down it like miserable war paint.

"Jesus, kid, what happened to you?" John questioned in surprise. I could now see that he was dishing out the bacon I could smell before.

"Long night John, long night." I croaked out. Finally standing up from the ground, I adjusted the sweats I had on and stalked to the table, trying to smooth my hair out as I went.

Stiles had already seated himself at the table and was waiting for his father to bring over the trays of food; very obviously a hungry teenage boy.

"You wanna talk about it?" He asked as walked over to the table, looking all the concerned parent he'd always been. In reality, John was more my father than my own dad was.

"Not really. I just want to eat some food, take a shower, and mope for the day." In emphasis, I grabbed a sausage he had just put on the table with my fork and tore into it, letting out a satisfied hum.

"Well, you can do all that here if you want to. I've got to go into the station soon, but I think Stiles is supposed to be home all day, right son?" Turning to look at his son with a questioning expression, the Sheriff bit into a piece of bacon before setting it down on his plate.

"Um, uh...actually I have some stuff to do today," Stiles replied, staring down at his plate as he bit into a piece of his own bacon.

"Oh, yeah? Like what?" John questioned, looking curious about his son's plans for the day.

"Umm, just stuff. Ya know, stuff. Stuff, stuff, stuff. Guy stuff. Yeah, guy stuff." Seeming satisfied with his answer, he shoveled eggs into his mouth, continuing to stare at his plate.

"Guy stuff?" Stilinski gruffed out, but he looked amused as he ate a piece of sausage. "What the hell is guy stuff?"

"You know. Guy stuff." Stiles swung his fork around, pointing it at his father. "Stuff that guys do, that doesn't include girls." Side glancing in my direction, Stiles looked back to his plate making my brows furrow.

Taking a normal-sized bite of eggs, I felt a little disappointed. I had hoped I could hang out with him today. It felt like we hadn't spent any quality time together in forever. And no, the night before definitely did not count.

"Well, you have fun with that." I stated sarcastically. I'll just see if Isaac can leave the house today." Picking at my eggs, I didn't notice how Stiles stiffened slightly. I did, however, notice when he spun towards me after a moment.

"Can I ask you something?" He wondered, staring at me with a look I couldn't quite decipher. Looking over to his father with a raised brow, hoping for answers, I was only left with more confusion as I was met with a shrug and a small smirk.

"Sure?" I replied, my response sounding more like a question of my own.

"What did you mean? Last night? When you said that stuff about Lydia not thinking Isaac was good enough for you? Ya know?" Stiles rambled, his arms flailing in the air as he spoke, eyes focused on me intensely; like his whole life rested on the answer. I was so bewildered it took me a moment to actually process what he had said.

"Oh, Isaac stayed the night a little while ago and Lydia made the assumption that we were messing around. She made her disapproval very apparent." Taking a sip of my juice, I sighed in frustration. I felt bad for most of the things I had said last night, to and not to my sister, but I was still angry with her.

"Oh." He seemed to relax a little before he tensed again, spinning back around toward me. "Wait so...are you guys? Like messing around?"

"No. I would tell you guys if I was with someone. He's just my friend." Stiles seemed to immediately deflate before he took a drink of his orange juice.

"Oh..well...good." A look of surprise fell on my face. Why was that good? Why did he even care? Did he not approve of Isaac either?

Brows furrowed, I turned back to my food and we all finished our breakfast in silence, pondering our individual thoughts.

Clean up was quick and soon John was headed for the door, waving his hat in the air as he said goodbye, and told Stiles to remember to lock the door when he left.

While Stiles seemed to stare off into the distance, I took out my phone and messaged Isaac quickly, hoping he'd actually be able to get out of the house. Not just for my sake, but for his.

To Baby Dinosaur 🦖: Hey, I don't know if you can, but I wanted to see if you would like to go to the lake?

Quickly finishing my text, I put my phone on the table in front of me, running my hands along my sweats, already planning on wearing them all day, along with the old off the shoulder t-shirt I'd been sporting in my sleep.

"Well I don't know about you, but I need to brush my teeth, soo..I'm going upstairs." Lazily pointing up the stairs, I stood up, fully intent on going to get myself as ready as I was getting for the day ahead. Despite that, I stopped when I got no response from Stiles. I wasn't used to him not responding.

Turning around to look in his direction, I noticed he was looking at the wall with a thoughtful and sad expression on his face.

"Stiles?" No response. "Stiles, what's wrong?" I questioned, stepping forward to place my hand on his shoulder. As soon as my fingertips hit him, he jolted, spinning around with wild eyes as if he had forgotten I was even there.

"Oh. Rae. Hi. Sorry, I was just thinking." He responded, looking a bit out of it. Shaking his head, he looked up at me, "What'd you say?"

"I said I was going to go brush my teeth, and you answered with staring at the hardwood." I chuckled lightly. "You sure you're alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Was just thinking about an, uh, an assignment." Stiles fumbled, scratching behind his ear as he started the trek upstairs. "Come on, I've gotta get ready too."

Beyond confused and knowing he was once again lying, I followed him up the stairs, choosing to trust him like I said I would. We continued into the bathroom that held Scott, Stiles, and my toothbrushes along with a hairbrush I had left there. Quickly rinsing my toothbrush and putting toothpaste on it, I handed the tube to the quirky boy on my right and began to clean my dirty teeth.

In silence, we started our routine, the only noise in the bathroom being the sound of bristles on teeth as I glanced at Stiles in the mirror. He still seemed out of it, lost in his own mind, but I suppose that happened often so I shouldn't be so confused. It just seemed...different. I didn't know why, couldn't put my finger on it, but it was there.

~Stiles' POV~

I couldn't stop thinking of last night and what happened with Rae. Her reaction after she saw it was me driving by her. The things she screamed while she threw the dishes in the secluded room. The fact that she was even screaming. The fact that she was so mad. I knew most of her anger and sadness stemmed from her 'date' with the douchebag and the fight with her sister, but it hadn't just been that. It was just the cherry on top.

It is not my fault that my friends are ditching me! It is not my fault that weird shit is going on!

I could still hear the pain in her voice, hear the exact words she spoke, making me want to cover my ears, even though I knew that wouldn't help. She knew something was going on. She knew we were lying to her. She knew Scott too well. She knew me too well. I hated lying to her. It broke my heart. I wanted to tell her so bad. But she was safer this way. Right?

It is not my fault that everyone is lying to me and that no one loves me and no one wants me around!

Some part of her, no matter how small, was insecure and felt that no one loved her, accepted her or wanted her there. She should never have to feel that way. But she did. Because of Lydia. Because of me. Because of Scott. Because of the supernatural world we've found ourselves thrown into. Because we agreed to keep her out of it for her safety.

But is it really safer for her this way?

She knows something's happening, she knows we know, and it's breaking her heart. She deserves to know.

It doesn't matter. I reminded myself.

A broken heart is better than a broken back.

Nodding to myself slightly, I made my decision. We would stay the course. We couldn't tell her. Not when she could get hurt. Or killed. I couldn't risk that.

Looking up, I caught her eye in the mirror as we both finished brushing our teeth. I quickly looked away from her curious gaze; the one that was trying to read out what I was thinking so intently on.

I think she could tell I had been thinking about the same thing over and over again. I think she knew I was lying about the 'assignment'.

She was smart like that.

But she trusted me, like she said she would. It was one of the many reasons I loved her. Even though she felt a consuming need to know what was happening, and was worried about us, she trusted me enough to believe we were doing this to keep her safe. Even though she wanted to protect us, for now she'd let us keep her safe from something she didn't even know was lurking in the dark.

A small smile framed my face as I finished brushing my teeth, spitting, rinsing, and finishing my mouth care before I stepped back, rubbing my hands over my buzz cut hair quickly.

"You can take a shower if you want. I'll, uh, I'll stay home until your done getting ready. All your stuff is still in there." Shrugging my shoulders, I put my hands in the pockets of my pants, teetering lightly on my feet.

Taking a moment to rinse out her mouth and finish her routine, she turned around. I had almost forgotten how beautiful she was, even when she was a complete mess. Red hair tousled all over the place, perfect pink lips pouted as she looked at me. She was like an angel.

"Are you sure? You don't need to leave?" Hearing the slight clip in her voice, I winced, but knew she wasn't that angry, more curious about my time frame. Seeing as she had no idea what I was doing, she was trying to gather as much information as she could.

"No. No, not yet. I need to leave soon, but, uh, I have enough time for you to do everything. I still have to get dressed and everything anyways. I, uh, I would be fine leaving you home, I know you'd lock up and all, I just, uh, I don't...want to leave you alone." Shrugging again, I shoved my hands a bit deeper in my pants pockets from where they'd been expressing my thoughts in the air.

A light blush coated her cheeks as she looked down, nodding her head. "Alright, fine. Get out then loser." She smiled roguishly, shoving me lightly out the door.

"Ooh, I see how it is. I see how it is." I shouted at her as she shut the bathroom door, laughing as she did so.

Walking away I softly mumbled, "stealin' my damn bathroom," but I walked away smiling.

~Rae's POV~

With a bright smile on my face, I made my way over to the shower, seeing that Stiles had indeed been right; all of my things were still in here. Since I was here so often, I had clothes and shower things here, along with my toothbrush. Same with Scott's house. It was easier than always having to bring my stuff with me.

Turning the shower to the perfect temperature, I quickly stripped out of my clothes and got in. Unlike normal, I sat down under the stream of water, simply wanting the water to wash away all my problems. I did this sometimes. When things got rough. Like when my parents got divorced and Lydia and I had to choose between our parents.

It was actually kind of sad how easily we picked our mother.

I would also do it when I had particularly bad visions, or when it had just been a long day. It helped me think. Calmed me down. Helped me focus. It allowed me to sort through all my thoughts and emotions when sometimes I had too many.

And right now, I had too many.

Ducking my head, I closed my eyes and let the water wash over my head and down my back, rolling pleasantly over the sides of my head to hit the sides of my thighs.

I easily let out a long breath, releasing all the stress and anger and sadness that had been bottled up so tightly since last night. Now I could actually calm down. And think.

I knew I needed to apologize to my sister for the things I said, but I also knew I was going to need a little time. And as stupid and childish as it sounded, I wasn't going to apologize until my sister did. I knew how messed up some of the things I said were. How hurtful. But Lydia went too far, crossed a line that I don't even think she realized she had crossed until it was too late. I hadn't even wanted to go out last night, but she had made me.

Releasing another breath, I relaxed farther, sinking deeper into the hot water.

I knew Lydia probably felt horrible and was waiting at home, or was with Allison raving about it all. I knew she would apologize. But I still needed the day. I would go home and talk to her at the end of the night. After I've just had the day to myself, with no drama.

Inhaling, the feeling of mist on my face and water droplets rolling off my hair calms me down, sending me to my next thought.

If I ever figured out that douchebag's name, I would kick his ass. Fucking asshole.

Smirking slightly, I chuckled a little under my breath, continuing to unravel all of my thoughts and feelings.

I was growing increasingly upset about Scott and Stiles. I needed to know what was happening. I needed to help them. I needed to know what was happening to my town. My home. My friends.

But Stiles said to trust him.

And I trusted him more than anything.

So I'd listen to what he'd told me,

I promise you, Scott and I are just trying to keep you safe and I know that sounds stupid because I know you can handle yourself, but you've just gotta trust me, okay?

Whatever that meant.

Did it have something to do with Derek Hale?

If so, how?

He just got back, and his sister was killed. I just can't figure it out.

How were they keeping me safe? What was so bad that they wouldn't be able to tell me?

For now, I decided to cast those thoughts aside. I wouldn't be able to figure it out right now, it would just stress me out, so I'd simply have to trust Stiles.

Letting out another breath, I ran a hand over my head before dropping it back down.

Somehow with everything that had happened, my strange visions had completely slipped my mind. I still knew nothing about them, other than the fact that I was somehow seeing bits and pieces of the future. I hated not knowing things, especially when they were important. I wanted to know how and why this started. I wanted to know why it happens when it does. I wanted to know if I could learn to control it. Purposefully seek a specific persons' future. If I could trigger visions.

Sighing, I decided that maybe one day I would figure it out, but for now, I should deal with bigger problems and save this one for later. I could see the future. At least I knew that much.

The longer I stayed under the water, the more my tension faded, and the more the small ache in my head faded, having been prompted into existence by yesterday's waterworks. The more time I spent under the water, the less I worried about the world around me until I knew I felt good enough to get out.

Quickly, I washed my hair and body and rinsed myself off before jumping out and turning off the water. Wrapping a soft towel around my body, I sat down on the closed toilet, letting out a few more breaths while I dried off.

Soon enough I got up, dried myself off, and got dressed in my sweats and t-shirt, completely ready to be comfortable for the rest of the day. I dried my hair as best I could with the towel before brushing through it, leaving it down to dry longer.

Hanging up the towel I had used, I unlocked the bathroom door, stepping out to see Stiles already waiting next to the door.

"I-I heard you get out of the shower." He explained, making a show of gesturing towards the door. "Do you want me to at least take you to get your car?" Stiles' face was scrunched up, like he was pained to ask me about going home. Like he was afraid I would get angry at his suggestion. I frowned. 

Had I been that angry?

Truthfully, I had forgotten that I hadn't driven here and that my car was still at home, sitting peacefully in the driveway.

"Oh god, yeah. I totally forgot I didn't have my car." I chuckled lightly. "Do you still have that extra key you made for it? I don't want to go inside my house to get mine." I asked him. I didn't want to see Lydia yet. Or my mother.

"Oh, yeah. Totally. Here." Stiles twitched and almost fell over trying to pull his keys out as fast as he did. Holding one of his key rings, he pulled off my spare car key, handing it to me, before putting his keys back in his pocket.

"Thanks." Smiling, I walked past him, grabbing his arm lightly as I did. "Come on, you don't want to be late for 'guy stuff.'" I mocked, imitating a male's voice at the end. Laughing, we walked into the kitchen where I grabbed my phone and Stiles grabbed his flannel.

Checking my phone on the way to the car, I was happy to see that I had two text messages. One from Isaac. And one from an unknown number.

Baby Dinosaur 🦖: yeah my dads at work. pick me up at the park

Unknown Number: Hey its erica, I dont know if you want to, but do you maybe want to hang out

Smiling at the two messages, I paused before sending replies.

To Baby Dinosaur 🦖: Alright, I'll be there soon. Do you mind if I invite someone? I think you'll get along.

To Er-Bear: Yeah, of course. Do you mind meeting that guy I was talking to you about the other day? We're going to the lake. I can pick you up.

"Whatcha doin'?" Stiles asked, curiosity oozing from his words as he pulled on his seat belt.

"Texting Isaac. I asked him if he wanted to go to the lake. Erica might come with us." I glanced over to look at Stiles, getting slightly dazed before I shook myself out of it. "I'm waiting to see if they're both alright with it."

"Ah. Well, I'm sure you guys will have a nice time." Stiles' voice sounded slightly clipped, but looking up at him I noticed the smile still on his face. Not seeing the strain, I decided to let it go. Starting the drive to my house, he began tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. A habit he'd picked up from his father. I smiled over at him, thinking about how amazing he was in all the little things he did.

Soon, my phone chimed and I looked down to respond to whatever message I had gotten.

Er-Bear: Cool. Yeah I can do that. Heres my address... 2416 Oakcrest Dr.

Opening my maps app, I put in the address for later since we weren't far from my house. While I was doing that, a notification popped up. I had received a message from Isaac.

Baby Dinosaur 🦖: no thats alright. who is it tho

To Baby Dinosaur 🦖: Erica Reyes

Baby Dinosaur 🦖: oh ok. see you soon

Putting my phone away, I averted my attention back to the road, glancing over at the boy sitting next to me every few moments. We both stayed silent. When we were close to my house, I decided to speak.

"I trust that whatever it is that's going on, you think keeping me out of it keeps me safe. But you're eventually going to have to tell me. If it's really so dangerous, it would be safer for me to know what I'm dealing with. I'm your best friend and you can't keep me out of this forever. If you don't tell me, I'll eventually just find out on my own, because I protect you guys too. We're a package deal." Looking over at him, he glanced at me, looking me in the eyes before he turned back to the road. He seemed to think over what I said for a few moments before he spoke.

"I promise, I'll tell you everything. But for now, it's just safer if you don't know." He spoke sincerely, glancing over at me a few times as he continued to drive.

"Alright. Fine." I nodded my head, accepting, that for now, I was apparently safer this way.

Stiles pulled over on the side of the road next to my house, and I thanked the lucky stars that Lydia's car was nowhere in sight. Turning, I gave Stiles a peck on the cheek before grabbing my bag and opening the jeep door.

"Thanks for everything, Stilinski." Smiling, I slammed the door shut, glad that he had turned off the child lock, and walked over to my car. Turning around once I was at the driver's side, I quickly waved and caught him waving back before jumping in my car, turning it on. Throwing my bag in the back, I heard Stiles take off before I pulled out of my driveway, making my way to the park.

Letting out a breath, it felt nice to just be alone and driving for a second. It had always made me feel better. Stress melted away and thoughts unknotted themselves in my head taking away that nagging fullness in my brain. The silence was calming; the sound of air whipping around the metal encasing my vehicle soothing.

By the time I arrived at the park, I was the calmest I'd been all day. I didn't feel so weighed down. Noticing Isaac sitting on a bench, I honked the horn, not feeling like getting out. When his head snapped up, I rolled down my window and waved him over, hoping he would understand it was me.

While I waited for him to walk over, I threw my slightly damp hair up in a messy bun, completely content with not having to deal with makeup or fly-aways or fancy clothes. Don't get me wrong, I loved my clothes and I loved makeup, but sometimes it was nice to just relax. It was why I usually didn't wear much makeup. I didn't want to be a clown.

Isaac scampered over, looking very cute in an oversized gray sweater and a pair of sweat pants, like me. It didn't take him long to open up the passenger side door, throwing his lanky form in the front seat.

I simply rolled my head to look at him from where my head was resting on the seat. "Hi."

"Hi." He replied. It was all that was needed to be said.

Turning back to the front of the vehicle, I put it in reverse and backed up, following the directions on my phone to pick up Erica. Surprisingly, she was already sitting on her porch waiting for us, decked out in her own sweatpants and a gray tank top with a cute maroon cardigan.

The sound of the back door opening prompted me to look behind me, smiling at the blonde girl climbing in the back seat, her frizzy hair sticking every which way. She looked anxious, as did Isaac, which wasn't surprising. I knew they weren't good with new people. Hell, Isaac and I had been friends for years and he really just started relaxing and opening up to me.

Once Erica had gotten situated and buckled, she glanced up warily, meeting my eyes with her own fearful ones. "Hi." She squeaked quietly, seeming to tuck in on herself. Darting eyes glanced between Isaac and me, trying to figure out if she had really made the right decision.

"Hey, Erica. This is Isaac, the boy I wanted you to meet." Turning to Isaac I motioned towards Erica, "Isaac this is Erica Reyes, I'm sure you two have seen each other at school."

"Umm, yeah. I uh-I think we have chemistry together." Isaac stuttered out, refusing to turn around, but I noticed him glancing in the side mirror to see Erica behind us. Internally, I frowned. Not from their actions toward each other, but simply the reason behind why they did them. They'd been through hell. They didn't trust anyone.

"Uh, yeah, yeah. I think we do," Erica spoke timidly, still glancing between the two of us fearfully. When she held my gaze for longer than usual, I sent her a kind smile and nodded my head to tell her she was alright.

"Alright, well. My grandmother had a lake house that's ours now so I figured we could go out there, maybe make a fire later. I think there's stuff for smores in the house." I explained to the two of them as I turned back around in my seat, taking off toward where we needed to go. "It's a little ways away, but it's not too far. What time do you two need to be home?" Glancing in the rearview, I noticed Erica had slightly relaxed, most likely from the small amount of attention being taken off of her and from the moving of the car.

"Umm, my dad works late, and he's going on some trip, so I thought maybe I could just stay the night again? If-if that's ok." Turning my head slightly, I caught the small blush spreading on Isaac's cheeks making a small smile form on my lips. "Hopefully without your family's input." At this comment, not only did Isaac's blush grow, but one began to creep up my face as well thinking back to what my family had insinuated about his visit.

"Oh, yeah, I definitely don't want to deal with that again." Chuckling lowly, I moved a piece of hair out of my face that had fallen from my bun. "But, yeah you can do that if you want. You didn't get in trouble last time, right?" Even though I figured he wouldn't risk it again if he had, I was suddenly worried. My brows furrowed as I glanced over at him, noticing the fading bruise on his cheek.

"No, no, it was fine." He replied. "Don't worry, he believed what you told me to tell him." A breath I hadn't known I was holding fell from my lips, instantly relieved that I didn't get him in trouble.

"Good." I nodded my head before looking in the rearview again, "What about you, Erica?"

"Umm, my-my dad said to be home before 10." She answered, seeming to be shrinking down in her seat a little. Internally, I frowned again. I hoped that I could help them both. Make them less scared of the world.

"Alright, well I'll make sure you're not late home. And if you want to go home early, just say something." I smiled sweetly in the mirror as she sent me a grateful look, relaxing a little now that she didn't feel like she was stuck in a commitment.

The rest of the drive was silent, which I think we all appreciated. I listened to the wind and to the noises my friends made, watched their movements, making sure they were comfortable and alright.

Not long into the drive, Isaac pulled one of his sweat clad legs up on the seat, leaning it against the door as he watched the trees pass by. Every once in a while he would sigh, but it seemed the further we got from his house the more he relaxed. When we were almost there, he rolled down his window slightly and took a big breath of fresh air, exhaling and with it, he seemed to exhale all of his troubles, at least for the time being.

Soon after Isaac pulled his leg up, Erica simmered down, pulling both her legs up to sit criss-cross as she looked out the window, a small smile crossing her face when she saw a baby deer eating in the woods. Just like Isaac, it seemed the further away we got the more she relaxed. Except for her, it was getting away from town; from all the prying eyes, from all the goading and laughing, inconsiderate children. When Isaac rolled down his window, the look on her face was as if she'd never smelled that particular flavor of oxygen before. A mixture of earth, pine needles, water, and crisp air. It made her eyes light up in a way I'd never seen before. It made me smile.

After the peaceful drive out, we arrived in front of my grandmother's lakehouse. Putting the car in park, I set the e-brake, unbuckled my seatbelt, and turned to the passengers in my car. "Welcome to the lake."

Opening my door, I got out, soon after being followed by the shy blondes sitting in the car. I watched as they took everything in, Isaac looking around with wondering eyes, seeming to accept what he saw and appreciate it. Erica looked at the trees and the animals and the house for only a second before she noticed the water for the first time. As soon as she saw it, she slowly started creeping toward it as I set my chin on the top of my hands on my car door, watching her with a small smile.

"Can we go down there?" She asked, whipping around as she pointed toward the docks. I was happily surprised at her lack of hesitation, nodding my head adamantly.

"Yeah, of course. I said we were going to the lake, didn't I?" I teased, sending her a full smile as she looked at me in anticipation and childlike wonder.  A small smile crossed her face and I noticed the surprised little noise Isaac made towards it as he exhibited a small smile of his own in return.

In a movement faster than I'd ever seen her make, Erica whipped around, her hair flying behind her, and started running toward the water, small giggles being emitted from her body.

Glancing at Isaac, he looked back towards me with a full smile as I giggled disbelievingly. I was really happy this was already going so well. Glancing back to her I saw she was already at the docks, watching the water, probably forgetting all about us. Looking back at Isaac, I said nothing and took off toward the water before he could look back at me. As soon as he noticed, a small noise of surprise came from his lips as I heard him take off behind me, trying to race me down the hill. I giggled as I ran, hopping over a rock embedded in the ground. It didn't take him long to catch up, zooming straight passed me with a laugh as he skidded to a stop next to Erica. It made her jump slightly, but her face still broke out in a smile as I caught up to them.

Laughing, I bent over to catch my breath, looking up at Isaac. "You're fast, man." Still chuckling, I stood back up, looking at him incredulously.

"Lacrosse." Was his only answer, wide smile still spread across his face, making his dimples pop and putting a spark in his eye that I didn't see very often.

Sighing, I took a few steps forward, sitting down on the docks, swinging my legs over the edge. Humming in content, I watched the water and noticed them sit down not too from my periphery. Erica sat down on my right, while Isaac sat on my left.

We all sat in a peaceful silence before Erica spoke, "I've never seen you like this." Turning, I could see that her comment was directed towards me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, brows furrowing in confusion.

"I mean, like...us." She turned towards the water before looking back at me, "No makeup, sweats and a cutoff shirt, hair thrown up without a care." She looked back at the water again. "It's nice." Her lips twitched slightly as she looked at the sun rays shining through the trees, making shapes on the water.

My brows slowly unfurled as I thought over her words. It really was nice. These were my people. I mean, so were Lydia and Danny, but these, these were my people. The people that others didn't think were worth it. It was nice to just be able to sit at the lake, the three musketeers of sweats, without feeling the pressures of society.

"Yeah, yeah it is," I replied, sitting back on my hands as I watched the water with them. "You know, I never really understood how I became popular. I guess it was just the clothes I wore paired with the fact that Lydia Martin is my twin sister. I mean, I diss the lacrosse captain every chance I get," I huffed a laugh, thinking about Jackson, "I've been friends with Scott and Stiles since third grade; despite my sister's disapproval. Instead of laughing at people's pain, I try to help. Come to think of it, I don't know how Danny did it either." I laughed. "Probably just because he's friends with Jackson, and everyone loves him. Honestly, I just don't really understand the ranks in school or in life. For the most part, the smart and kind people are made into losers and the assholes are praised for their assholeness. It makes no sense."

Huffing, I turned to see Isaac staring at me after my small rant, looking slightly surprised. "I've never heard someone like you say that." He expressed, tilting his head a little bit before he smiled, looking back to the water. "Maybe there's hope for us yet."

After that, we all just sat together in silence, watching the water lap against the wooden pillars of the dock, sitting in the slowly sinking sun as we simply relaxed, miles away from our problems and strengthened by being together.

~Erica's POV~

Never in a million years did I think I would be sitting here. Dirty converse swinging over the side of the Martin lake house docks, watching the water as two pairs of vans swung next to me, one pair belonging to none other than Raeanne Martin.

That day I woke up in the hospital, an unknown hand holding my own, I never thought that this would be where it led. I still didn't really understand, but for some reason, I felt I could trust her.

Maybe it was because I found out she had told me the truth about that day at the school. Maybe it was because hers was the only number I had in my cell phone other than my dads and my cousin Bell. Maybe it was because she was friends with Isaac. Maybe it was just because Rae was the first person that had been kind to me in a very long time.

Whatever the reason, I found myself actually relaxing for the first time in so long. I found myself enjoying myself, a few smiles and laughs escaping me, my anxious stutter floating away in the wind that carried such a fulfilling smell. I found myself wishing I could always feel like this, but sadly knowing it probably wouldn't last once we left. So I just left myself in the moment, breathing in everything that I could until it was all ripped away from me.

Glancing down I noticed one of my shoes had untied, the ends of one string barely underneath the water, but I didn't bother to fix it. It seemed to captivate me for a moment as I swung that foot around, watching the way the water moved around the shoelace. It was so peaceful here.

"Hey, Rae?" I questioned, not looking up from my shoe but still feeling both parties turn to look at me curiously. "Do you think we could do this more often? I like it out here." Swishing the lace around a few more times, I turned my head to look at her, squinting slightly as a sunray hit my face. I watched as she turned to Isaac, seeming to ask him a question without words as he nodded before she turned back around.

"Yeah. Yeah, we all can. I think it would be a lot of fun." Rae smiled, having to squint a little against the sun's rays herself before she shook her head. "Come on, let's go make a fire." Dusting herself off, she held a hand out to help me up and I grabbed it, brushing myself off while she helped up Isaac. A few seconds later, we both followed her over to an area near the water where a firepit seemed to materialize out of thin air.

A pile of firewood was nearby, probably there from the last fire they'd made. "Is that all we need?" I was a little wary of asking, I'd never made a fire before. I didn't want to say anything that would make them laugh at me.

"You've never made a fire before have you?" I jumped slightly, not expecting an answer to come from the only boy in our group. Glancing between the two, I finally settled my eyes on Isaac. He seemed a little amused but mainly just curious.

"No..umm, we don't have a fireplace. Have you?" Isaac smiled a little bit, seeming to get lost in his thoughts for a second before he spoke.

"Yeah. Yeah, when I was younger. Before my mom died and Camden joined the army, we used to go camping every summer." Glancing up at me from the ground Isaac continued his story. "I, uh," he chuckled, "I was horrible at first. My mom would smile and walk over and help me. She always made it perfect. Eventually, I got the hang of it, and Camden couldn't make fun of me anymore, so he started making fun of how bad dad was at fishing." A small smile crossed my face as he chuckled, remembering his family as they had been. When things had been good for him. For a second Isaac looked really sad, a little sad smile on his face, but he shook himself off and looked back up. "I can teach you." He offered.

My eyebrows rose in surprise. I didn't think he'd actually teach me how to build something as simple as a fire. I expected them to laugh at me. The stupid girl who didn't even know how to build a fire. Instead, they were helping me.

Still slightly stunned, I responded, "umm, yeah, if you want. That would be really cool." Watching a smile spread across his face, I felt my own respond, tucking a piece of unruly hair behind my ear.

"Cool." He looked down sheepishly, before looking back up. "I've never been able to teach anyone before." Smiling, he gestured toward the trees next to them, "Come on, let's get some kindling."

"What's kindling?" 

Laughing, Isaac led me away, explaining what it was and why it was helpful and what else we needed to make a fire.

~Rae's POV~

Smiling, I watched the two teenagers walk away as I thought about Isaac's story. My family used to do something similar before my dad left, except we would come to the lakehouse. Maybe the three of us could have our own little family outings, coming out here to watch the water and make fires and play games. Get away from the world and create our own little safe haven away from everyone and everything else.

Happy at the thought, I walked over to the pile of wood, grabbing some pieces to haul them closer to the fire. The first load was some small logs, the second one filled with medium-sized pieces of wood to go in before the big stuff.

Walking to the car, I grabbed my bag out of the back, carrying it over to the fire pit. Putting it in one of the chairs, I pulled out one of my notebooks, ripping out some blank pages and crumbling them up individually.

Hearing a twig break, I turned to see Isaac and Erica talking to each other, lighthearted smiles on their faces as they carried twigs and small pieces of bark toward me.

"...don't understand what's so fun about lacrosse. You're just throwing around a ball and pushing people on the ground." Erica glanced up at Isaac as I caught the end of their conversation, amusement and confusion written all over her face.

"It's not pushing for one," Issac chuckled, "it's called shoulder checking. I don't know. I guess it's different for everyone." Glancing over at her, he continued to explain. "For me, I guess it's just a good way to stay away from home longer. Plus it makes me feel like I'm a part of something, even if I'm never really in the group chest bumps when we win." A small laugh escaped his mouth. "Not that I want to be, it's so ridiculously masculine." Isaac shuddered, an amused smirk on his lips.

Erica shrugged, spilling her armful next to the pit, "I guess that makes sense. And whatever, I don't care what it's called, you're just a field full of boys pushing each other around." Eyes glinting with delight, she turned back to Isaac. "So now what do we do?"

Walking up to the fire, I handed Isaac the loose paper balls I'd made. "Here you go Mr. Fire Master, do your thing." Smiling teasingly at the boy, Isaac smiled widely up at me as he turned to explain the process to Erica while he worked.

"So, we'll make a little mound right here of the stuff we collected, and we'll put some paper on top, and a paper in the middle. You light the paper, which lights the kindling, and then once that's big enough, you can put some of these on there." He raised up one of the sticks I had brought over. "The kindling will light these, and then we can put these in it." Pointing at a small log with the stick, he started putting together the fire while I grabbed the stove lighter that was in one of the cupholders of a chair.

Isaac finished quickly, and I lit the paper on the top, watching it catch the kindling, followed by the paper in the middle which made the flame flare. Isaac added some more kindling and the last of the paper until he was satisfied, starting on the sticks. Turning to Erica he explained, "You should always put your sticks in a tepee form, like this." He demonstrated by setting up the sticks the way they needed to be. "It feeds the fire up to the wood and keeps the airflow so the fire won't go out."

For a little while, they just watched the fire. Stared as it crawled up the wood, eating up everything that ever gave it a life of its own. Soon, they were able to put some small logs on the fire and sit back in the chairs surrounding it, the cushions bringing them comfort.

After a while, I turned to look at Erica, who looked adorable all curled up in her chair, hair flying around in a fiery glow. "Hey Er, come over here." Waving her over, I bent over to grab my bag, pulling out a soft hairbrush.

Looking up, I noticed she was now standing in front of me expectantly. "Sit down." Patting the spot in front of me, I spread my legs out so she would have room. Sitting down warily, she continued watching the fire in front of her, probably wondering what I had planned for her.

Pulling her back slightly so we would both be more comfortable, I gathered her hair back with both hands, running my fingers through it. She seemed to relax slightly at the feeling, making me smile before I held it all at the bottom and started brushing out the ends.

"You know, my hair used to be frizzy like yours." Erica turned her head slightly in surprise but didn't say anything. "I mean yours is thicker, which I'm actually a little jealous of," I chuckled, "so it gets frizzier, but still. Once I started using a deep conditioner, my hair got a lot better. I can give you some of mine, see if it helps if you want."

Even though I couldn't see her face, I could feel her surprise in the way she straightened up slightly and turned again. Silently, she nodded her head as I continued to work my way through her hair.

Finishing with the ends, I worked my way up to her roots carefully, like a child's mother would, brushing all of her hair back before starting to french braid it. I hummed softly while I did it, expertly weaving golden blonde hair through itself. In a matter of minutes, I had finished, using a hair tie to pull it all together before I placed it on her back. "It looks really good on you." Smiling contentedly, I ran a hand over the finished braid, admiring my literal handy work.

Turning back to me, Erica smiled a small sad smile. "My mom used to braid my hair like that." Looking back at the fire, Erica continued, "when I was little she would tell me how I was her very own little fairy princess and one day I would rule the whole world." From behind her, I could see the big grin on her face before it faded. "I don't know what happened. She always seemed so happy..and then she was just gone." Erica looked down at her lap before she looked up at me, her eyes shining with unshed tears, "They told me she jumped from a bridge, but her heart gave out before she even hit the water." She gave a soft, unamused laugh. "Who the hell jumps off of a bridge when they're terrified of heights?" Shaking her head, she wiped under her eyes, collecting the moisture growing there. "Anyways, uh, my dad hasn't braided my hair since then, so thank you." Giving me a small smile as I gave her a rub on the back, she stood up and walked back over to her own chair.

Lost in my own thoughts, I barely heard when Isaac started speaking. "You know, I told him not to go." He spoke softly, turning to look at me before he looked over to Erica. "Camden. I told him it was too dangerous. We'd just lost mom, I couldn't even think of losing him too. But Camden, he was resilient. He wanted to help the world. I think most of it was he couldn't help mom, so he thought maybe if he helped even a few people, it might make the ache of losing her just a little bit better." Isaac gave a sad little smile before continuing with his story. "The longer he was gone on mission, the more worried I got, but it also made me feel better because I figured if he'd been gone that long, that he'd be fine. By the time a year had passed, I missed him a lot, but I didn't worry so much that I wouldn't see him again." He sniffled a little bit, rubbing his nose with his sleeve. "It was only ten months after that someone showed up at our door with a letter, he was in a uniform. I guess I should've known what it meant, but I had no clue. My dad freaked-" Isaac paused, looking down at his lap, "I didn't know what had happened until two days later, when my dad was finally sober enough to spit it out. Their camp got ransacked while they were all sleeping. There were people on watch, but it didn't matter. They said someone had stabbed him in his sleep, right through the heart. Do you know how hard that is?" He questioned us, looking up with a heartbroken expression, a single tear running down his cheek as his voice cracked. Standing up, I walked over to him and sat on the arm of the chair, hugging him to my side as tears silently ran down his face. It was obvious that it was a rhetorical question, as it was apparent that Isaac was finished talking.

It broke my heart to see him like this, but I had no idea what to tell him. They'd both lost so much in their lives.

"Maybe they're together." A bit startled, Isaac and I both looked over to Erica, who was looking at us and playing with the end of her braid, eyes wide in innocence. "Our families. Maybe they're together somewhere." She gave a timid little smile, one that hoped for everything good in the world. "Maybe they're neighbors and your mom has a dog and my mom's super allergic but she goes over anyways." A small laugh rolled out of her mouth as she continued. "Maybe your brother found a pretty girl and they got married and got a house next door and they're always stealing your mom's sugar." Isaac and Erica both laughed at that, making me smile at both of them.

"He would totally do that." Isaac laughed, wiping off his eyes as he kept his head on my chest. "Maybe you're right." Sniffling, he looked at her, "That would be really nice." With solemn smiles on all of our faces, we watched the flames dance and thought of the loved ones that we'd lost and what they might be doing on the other side.

With any luck, they were staring right back at a fire, watching the flames dance as they wondered what their loved ones they'd left behind were doing on the other side of the burning embers.

{I just made this one. 6/13/20 You like?}

{This is my favorite chapter wow I'm not crying, you're crying}

So, this was actually supposed to have more, but it got ridiculously long so I had to end it. 

Seriously, it's over 9000 words. 

It was supposed to have smores and some other things, along with Lydia and Rae apologizing and everything, but that'll have to wait. 

I hope that those of you who read this liked it. I wanted them to all bond, and I wanted to give more of a back story to Isaac and Erica, seeing as we know next to nothing about their lives pre-bite. 

Anyways, next chapter will actually follow the show, so I will see you there. Byee

~SiriusCatBennett

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

577K 12.9K 21
[BOOK ONE] [EDITING] โI might only have one match.โž Ellie Argent's life had gone from happy and easy to a major shit-storm in about two seconds. One...
146K 4.9K 46
โThe Sinners are waiting.โž โLet's pray to the Saints you don't believe in that they'll keep us alive.โž โช Fem OC x Nikolai Lantsov โซ โช book based โซ ยฉ...
987K 37.2K 88
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
55K 1.4K 98
The story about a young woman that her cousin works for the army and she gets a surprise visit while she's in school and she has to leave school Bc h...