✓ | RECKLESS AND BRAVE | Drac...

By fhreyachaes

[ BOOK TWO OF MISCHIEF MANAGED | JAMES POTTER VS SIRIUS BLACK ] ❝ But," her voice trailed off brokenly, "I'm... More

DISCLAIMER + CAST
I | THE SORCERER'S STONE
1 | AURORA
2 | BUOYANT
3 | CHUTZPAH
4 | DEMURE
5 | ETHEREAL
6 | FELICITY
7 | GAUCHE
8 | HALO
9 | IDYLLIC
10 | JOCUND
11 | KAPUT
12 | LUMINESCENCE
13 | MONDEGREEN
II | THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
14 | NEFARIOUS
15 | OPULENCE
16 | PETRICHOR
17 | QUAINT
18 | RESPLENDENT
19 | SAUDADE
20 | TRANSCENDENCE
21 | UPPITY
III | THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
23 | WANDERLUST
24 | XERIC
25 | YONDER
26 | ZEAL
27 | AMORIST
28 | BERCEUSE
29 | CHRYSALISM
30 | DUENDE
31 | EFFLEURAGE
32 | FANTOD
33 | GELASIN
IV | THE GOBLET OF FIRE
34 | HAMARTIA
35 | INTERSIDEREAL
36 | JEJUNE
37 | KOI NO YOKAN
38 | LATIBULE
39 | MINUTIAE
40 | NAZ
41 | ORPHIC
42 | PULCHRITUDINOUS
43 | QUERENCIA
44 | REDAMANCY
45 | SEHNSUCHT
46 | TEMERATE
V | THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
47 | UITWAAIEN
48 | VIRAGO
49 | WHELVE
50 | XAERN
51 | YŪGEN
52 | ZUGZWANG
53 | ANAM CARA
54 | BASOREXIA
55 | CHEILOPROCLITIC
56 | DEFENESTRATE
57 | ESPRIT D'ESCALIER
58 | FORELSKET
59 | GLAUCOUS
60 | HONNE
VI | THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE
61 | IBRAT
62 | JAYUS
63 | KAIROS
64 | LA DOULEUR EXQUISE
65 | MIZPAH
66 | NEDOVTIPA
67 | OCULOPLANIA
68 | PHOSPHENES
69 | QUATERVOIS
VII | THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
70 | RESFEBER
71 | STRIKHEDONIA
72 | TAUSENDSASSA
73 | UBUNTU
74 | VELLEITIE
75 | WABI-SABI
76 | XANTHORIATIC
77 | YERTDRIFT
78 | ZEMBLANITY
79 | AEIPATHY
80 | BOKETTO
81 | COUP DE GRÂCE
82 | DRAPETOMANI
83 | ERLEBNISSE
84 | FINIFUGAL
B O N U S | 1
B O N U S | 2
B O N U S | 3
B O N U S | 4
B O N U S | 5
C A N O N
CONTEST WINNER
TESSA AND DRACO'S READING LIST
THEO'S SPIN-OFF BOOK
KASI'S SPIN-OFF BOOK

22 | VEHEMENT

24.6K 856 2.6K
By fhreyachaes

VEHEMENT
(adj.) showing strong feeling; forceful, passionate, or intense

TESSA WAS SUNKISSED. Having spent nearly a whole month of summer lazing under the sun with Hermione, they had both gotten a tan. With toes digging into the sun, the two girls laid on their bellies as they chatted, the salty waves crashing in front of them. There was an umbrella hanging over them, a cone of quickly melting ice cream in each hand.

     "I think I look fried," Hermione said, pushing her sunglasses higher up the bridge of her nose. "Like a badly fried tan."

     Tessa snorted at her, biting the top of her ice cream. "No, you don't. Your tan looks excellent on you."

     Hermione's face scrunched up as she muttered to herself, "How can you bite your ice cream? You're not human."

     Tessa ignored what she said and went on talking, "In fact — this summer must've been a period of puberty, because I think you look totally different from last year." She sent the other girl a rakish grin. "Imagine what Ron would say — "

     Hermione swiped a finger to scoop a dribble of her ice cream and smudged it onto Tessa's nose. "I don't like him like that!" she whined as Tessa made a protesting cry.

     Tessa opened her mouth to make a retort, but was interrupted by a shadow falling over them. She looked up to see her other sun-kissed best friend with a lopsided grin sent to her. He was shirtless and dressed in swimming shorts, a surfboard tucked into an arm as he ran a hand across his black hair, sending water spraying into their direction. "All right, Tessie?"

     "Philip, you git — you're getting me all wet!" she cried out and pushed herself to a sitting position, swiping a leg out to kick at him. "You even got water on my ice cream."

     He let out a laugh, tipping his head back to expose the strong column of his throat. "I'll see you both back in Tessie's," Philip simply said before leaving them to head back to the beach house.

     Tessa didn't know how to swim, she lingered by the shallow parts of the waves and usually stayed on the shore with Hermione. Today was their last day of staying here before they'd take the Floo Network back to her manor, and head on to buy their books and materials in Diagon Alley tomorrow.

"Actually," Hermione said in a matter-of-fact voice. "We'd all gone through a little bit of a maturing stage this summer. Look at Philip," she jerked her chin to his far, retreating figure, "he even looks different from when I first saw him pick you up in King's Cross." Hermione wiggled her eyebrows at Tessa who understood what she was implying.

Tessa made a face and pretended to smush her ice cream at Hermione's face. "Stop — that's my best friend, I don't see him that way."

Hermione laughed. "I'm just saying — just because you don't see him like that, doesn't mean he doesn't."

Tessa scrunched her nose and continued eating her ice cream before it made a melting mess. Despite her contrary thought, she really did look different this summer. She'd managed to convince Uncle Kasi to have her hair colored, so now it was a shade of caramel blonde. It had grown out a little longer from last year, and it was now just brushing past her shoulder blades. She'd grown an inch taller, and lost some of the baby fat in her cheeks.

     "Oh, play that louder," Tessa said excitedly upon hearing the familiar intro of the music blaring in the small stereo they'd brought with them. Hermione cranked the volume up as the two swayed to the beat and sang their hearts out.

Say, Candy and Ronnie, have you seen them yet
Uh but they're so spaced out, B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets
Oh but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh Bennie she's really keen
She's got electric boots a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets

     Tessa loved this song, she'd heard it earlier this month when Hermione was blasting her music, and she couldn't get it out of her mind. Hermione would tease the girl and playfully change the lyrics to "Tessie and the Jets".

     After the song finished, the pair finally decided to head back to the beach house to shower off the sand and return to the manor. The next day, the two went over to Diagon Alley to get their materials. They had just heard the news on Harry accidentally blowing up his aunt, or something like it. Tessa was absolutely excited to see him again, and hear all about what had exactly happened.

     Tessa and Hermione first bumped into Ron in Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. They were now staying under the shade of an umbrella outside, an ice cream in each of their hands, when Tessa decided to go check around and see if Harry was anywhere nearby. Strolling past Gambol and Japes, Tessa stopped short upon hearing a strange sort of sound. She looked over to see a large, black dog lying pressed against a wall. He was fast asleep, and seemed to be whimpering, as though he was having a bad dream.

     Tessa, being the dog-lover she was, instantly shuffled a few steps over and dropped to a crouching position. She whistled a short tune, clapping on her thigh to attract the dog's attention. "Here, boy," she called out in a friendly manner.

     The dog's eyes flew open and zeroed in on her, then went absolutely still. He didn't move, he didn't breathe, he didn't blink. The dog went completely rigid, Tessa would've thought he was a statue.

     "It's okay, I won't hurt you," she said, still smiling and clapping her hand on her thigh to make him come closer.

     Very slowly, the dog rose on all four and padded over to her. He never once took his big eyes away from her, not even when he sat on his hind legs directly in front of her.

     Tessa cooed and reached a hand out, hovering above his head. "Can I pet you? Are you gonna bite?"

     The dog tilted his head to the side, as though inviting her to pet him. So she gently caressed the fur on his head, still smiling as she scratched him behind his ears.

     "Are you hungry?" she asked, showing him the vanilla ice cream in her other hand. "I still have some left, if you want. It's not chocolate, so I don't think it should be bad for you." She brought the cone near to his sharp canines. "Here, try some."

     The dog didn't make a move to eat the treat, he was still staring at Tessa with watery eyes.

     She frowned slightly and said, "Hey, don't cry. Is your owner anywhere around? Do you have one? Have you been fed by them?" She glanced around for a while before checking her watch. "I have to go now if I want to make it in time to buy some treacle fudge and get back to my friends," she said to the dog before setting the ice cream on the ground. "Here, I'll give you my ice cream. Eat it, okay?"

     She stood up and waved at the dog who was still watching her before he finally bent down to eat a little bit of the ice cream.

     "Good boy," she cooed. "If you ever see me walking around here again or Hogsmeade — since we get to go there this year — come find me, okay? I'll be sure to have treats for you!" She then turned on her heel and hurried off.

     Tessa made her way back to to the Ice Cream Parlor, a box of treacle fudge tucked in one arm. She didn't find Harry anywhere, and she was getting a little bit worried. That was until she saw a familiar black haired boy strolling past the Ice Cream Parlor where Hermione and Ron had also looked over to see him.

     "HARRY!" all three of them shouted as the poor boy jumped in surprise, head snapping from left to right at his friends. Tessa sprinted over to walk with Harry to where Ron and Hermione sat. She set down her box and yanked him over to a large hug, squeezing the life out of him as Harry laughed and hugged her back.

     "I missed you!" she said, sitting down next to Ron before standing back up. "Oh, did you want some ice cream? I can go buy some for you. Chocolate and raspberry with chopped nuts right? I'll be back — "

"Tessa, it's okay!" Harry grabbed her hand and pulled her to sit back down in her chair. "It's alright, you don't have to get me anything." He laughed before sitting down across of her and next to Hermione.

"Finally!" Ron said with a grin. "We went to the Leaky Cauldron, but they said you'd left, and we went to Flourish and Blotts, and Madam Malkin's, and —"

"I got all my school stuff last week," Harry explained. "And how come you knew I'm staying at the Leaky Cauldron?"

"Dad," Ron said simply.

"Did you really blow up your aunt, Harry?" Hermione asked in all seriousness.

"I didn't mean to," Harry started, but Ron was already roaring with laughter as Tessa snickered. "I just — lost control."

"It's not funny, you two," Hermione said. "Honestly, I'm amazed Harry wasn't expelled."

"So am I. Forget expelled, I thought I was going to be arrested." He looked at Ron. "Your dad doesn't know why Fudge let me off, does he?"

"Probably 'cause it's you, isn't it?" Ron shrugged and Tessa nodded in agreement. "Famous Harry Potter and all that. I'd hate to see what the Ministry'd do to me if I blew up an aunt. Mind you, they'd have to dig me up first, because Mum would've killed me. Anyway, you can ask Dad yourself this evening. We're staying at the Leaky Cauldron tonight too! So you can come to King's Cross with us tomorrow! Hermione and Tessa are there as well!"

     Hermione nodded, beaming. "Tessa and I went over to the Leaky Cauldron earlier this morning after we've bought all our materials."

     Tessa reached over to drink from her water bottle as she said, "Uncle Kasi dropped the both of us in Diagon Alley this morning, telling me to behave this school year." She looked up at Ron with puppy-dog eyes. "I'm a behaved student, aren't I?"

     All three of them snorted in unison before Hermione said, "So, what do you say, Harry?"

     "Excellent!" Harry replied happily. "So, have you got all your new books and stuff?"

     "Look at this," Ron said, pulling his box of wand he'd gotten from Ollivander's earlier today. "Brand-new wand. Fourteen inches, willow, containing one unicorn tail-hair. And we've got all our books —" He pointed at a large bag under his chair. "What about those Monster Books, eh? The assistant nearly cried when we said we wanted two."

     Tessa groaned and shoved a finger in front of his face. "Look — one its teeth grazed me! I could have died earlier."

     Hermione rolled her eyes playfully. "You so would not, drama queen."

     "What's all that, Hermione?" Harry asked, pointing at Hermione's three bags in the chair next to her.

     Tessa piped up, "She's taking a load of classes this year. Remember how the three of us have the exact same ones? Not Mione the Smart Cookie, she's got way more."

     Hermione nodded and said, "Those are my books for Arithmancy, Care of Magical Creatures, Divination, the Study of Ancient Runes, Muggle Studies —"

     "What are you doing Muggle Studies for?" Ron asked, rolling his eyes at Harry and Tessa. "You're Muggleborn! Your mum and dad are Muggles! You already know all about Muggles!"

     Tessa cried out exasperatedly, "I know! I told her the exact same thing!"

     "But it'll be fascinating to study them from the wizarding point of view," Hermione insisted.

     "Are you planning to eat or sleep at all this year, Hermione?" Harry asked, joining in Ron and Tessa's snickers.

"I've still got ten Galleons," she said, checking her purse. "It's my birthday in September, and Mum and Dad gave me some money to get myself an early birthday present."

"How about a nice book?" Ron said innocently and Tessa barked out laughing again at that.

"No, I don't think so," Hermione said, not catching Ron's implied taunt. "I really want an owl. I mean, Harry's got Hedwig, Tessa's got Thomas, and you've got Errol —"

"I haven't," Ron interrupted. "Errol's a family owl. All I've got is Scabbers." He pulled his pet rat out of his pocket and Tessa made a face.

"I can't believe you just keep him in your pocket like that." Tessa shuddered. "It's like carrying a strange, old man with you."

Ron made a befuddled face as he repeated incredulously, "Strange, old man — whatever," he shook his head to himself. "Anyway, I want to get him checked over. I don't think Egypt agreed with him."

"Good," Tessa mumbled.

Ron sent her a look. "You're terribly mean to Scabbers, the poor thing did nothing to you."

"Sorry, he's just . . . I don't know, there's something about him that creeps me out."

"There's a magical creature shop just over there," Harry piped up, pointing off at a direction. "You could see if they've got anything for Scabbers, and Hermione can get her owl." He glanced at Tessa. "Do you need something for Tommy? Maybe you can buy something there as well."

Tessa pursed her lips. "Well, you're right. I can buy some owl treats." Remembering the dog from earlier, Tessa smiled to herself and made a mental note to purchase some dog treats as well.

     Ron and Hermione finished their ice cream before they got up and crossed the street to the Magical Menagerie. Inside the store, every inch of wall was hidden by cages. It was smelly and very noisy from the various animals inside. The witch behind the counter was already advising a wizard on the care of double-ended newts. Harry, Ron, and Hermione waited, examining the cages as Tessa went down the aisle to grab some owl treats and to another aisle for dog treats.

     The wizard left after a couple more minutes, and Ron approached the counter. "It's my rat. He's been a bit off-color ever since I brought him back from Egypt."

     "Bang him on the counter," the witch said, pulling a pair of heavy black spectacles out of her pocket.

     Ron took Scabbers out of his pocket again and placed him down next to a cage of sleek, black rats.

     "Hm. How old is this rat?"

     "Dunno," Ron said with a shrug. "Quite old. He used to belong to my brother."

     "What powers does he have?"

     "Er —"

     The witch's eyes moved from Scabbers's tattered left ear to his front paw, which had a toe missing, and tutted loudly. "He's been through the mill, this one."

     "He was like that when Percy gave him to me," Ron said defensively.

     "An ordinary common or garden rat like this can't be expected to live longer than three years or so. Now, if you were looking for something a bit more hard-wearing, you might like one of these —" She waved a hand at the black rats who were skipping around in their cage.

     Ron muttered, "Show-offs."

     Tessa snorted, her lips twitching to a smile at Ron's grumpiness.

     "Well, if you don't want a replacement, you can try this rat tonic," the witch said, reaching under the counter and bringing out a small red bottle.

     "Okay. How much — OUCH!"

Tessa let out a screech as something huge and orange leaped out of a cage and landed on Ron's head before heading for Scabbers.

"NO, CROOKSHANKS, NO!" the witch shouted, but Scabbers escaped from her grasp and went scampering out of the door.

"Scabbers!" Ron went running out of the door as Harry and Tessa chased after him. She had dumped a few galleons on the counter to pay for the treats before sprinting outside. As much as Tessa disliked the rat, she tried to help them catch it.

     Finally, Ron stuffed the rat back into his pocket and massaged his head. "What was that?"

"It was either a very big cat," Harry said.

"Or quite a small tiger," Tessa finished.

"Where's Hermione?" Ron asked, glancing around.

"Probably getting her owl."

The three walked back to the shop, but they didn't have to go back inside. Hermione was already walking out, her arms clamped around the large ginger cat from earlier.

"You bought that monster?" Ron's mouth hung open incredulously.

"He's gorgeous, isn't he?" Hermione said, glowing.

Tessa scrunched her face up, sharing a similar disgusted look with Ron. "Mione, that's the ugliest and grumpiest cat I've ever seen my whole life."

Ron nodded fervently. "That thing nearly scalped me!"

"He didn't mean to, did you, Crookshanks?" Hermione said in a cooing voice to the cat.

"And what about Scabbers? He needs rest and relaxation! How's he going to get it with that thing around?"

"That reminds me, you forgot your rat tonic," Hermione said, slapping the small red bottle into Ron's hand. "And stop worrying, Crookshanks will be sleeping in my dormitory and Scabbers in yours, what's the problem? Poor Crookshanks, that witch said he'd been in there for ages; no one wanted him."

Ron grumbled under his breath before saying to Tessa, "Well, good luck to you. That means Crookshanks is going to be in your dorm as well."

"Don't remind me," she replied under her breath before hooking an arm through Harry's as they set off to the Leaky Cauldron.

Inside, they found Arthur Weasley sitting in the bar, reading the Daily Prophet. He glanced up and smiled at the four of them before he turned to the bespectacled boy. "Harry! How are you?"

"Fine, thanks," Harry said as they all sat down with Arthur who put down his paper. Tessa's eyes dropped to the photo of Sirius Black staring up at them — wild and unkempt black hair and piercing silver eyes. The man looked mad and insane in the photo, yet there was something so familiar with him, as though she'd seen him somewhere before. But she couldn't seem to place the memory.

     Maybe if there was a current photo where he didn't look homeless and crazy, Tessa might be able to figure it out.

"They still haven't caught him, then?" Harry asked.

"No," Arthur said. "They've pulled us all off our regular jobs at the Ministry to try and find him, but no luck so far."

"Would we get a reward if we caught him?" Ron asked as Tessa snorted at that. "It'd be good to get some more money —"

     "Don't be ridiculous, Ron," Arthur interrupted. "Black's not going to be caught by a thirteen-year-old wizard. It's the Azkaban guards who'll get him back, you mark my words."

     Tessa saw Arthur's eyes look at something behind them as a grin lit his face up. She was about to turn and look as well, but a pair of hands suddenly covered her eyes. She nearly jumped out of her seat at the darkness, until she felt someone's mouth near her ear and whisper, "Guess who."

     She let out a small laugh at the way his breath tickled her neck. "Fred, quit it," she said and reached over to elbow him in the stomach but she heard his laughter and pulled his hands away.

     Tessa turned to look at Fred who was grinning, until his eyes finally fell on her and his smile slowly disappeared. She cocked her head to the side in slight confusion, seeing the way he was just quietly watching her. "All right?" she asked with a hum.

     Fred gently smiled back, pink tinting his cheeks as he nodded. He opened his mouth to say something, but Tessa was assaulted into a bear hug from Ginny as the two began to chatter excitedly about how their summer went.

     "Hello, dears," Molly said to them with a smile. "I suppose you've heard our exciting news?" She pointed to the brand-new silver badge on Percy's chest. "Second Head Boy in the family!"

     "And last," Tessa heard Fred mutter from next to her.

     "I don't doubt that," Molly said, frowning suddenly. "I notice they haven't made you two prefects."

     "What do we want to be prefects for?" George said in revolt. "It'd take all the fun out of life."

     "You want to set a better example for your sister!"

     "Ginny's got other brothers to set her an example, Mother," Percy said stiffly. "I'm going up to change for dinner . . . "

     George sighed deeply before telling them, "We tried to shut him in a pyramid. But Mum spotted us."

     Tessa burst out laughing at that along with Harry, enjoying her get together with the Weasleys who were like another family to her. She had been laughing at George's stories and catching up with Ginny to notice a certain twin who was unable to take his eyes away from her.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

Later that night, Tessa ate dinner in the parlor with the Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione. "How're we getting to King's Cross tomorrow, Dad?" Fred asked, splitting his chocolate pudding and discretely sliding some over to Tessa whom he knew loved chocolate. His lips quirked up as he watched her eyes light up.

"The Ministry's providing a couple of cars," Arthur replied as everyone looked up at him.

"Why?" Percy asked curiously.

"It's because of you, Perce," George said seriously, and Tessa was already trying to cover her mouth to keep from laughing. "And there'll be little flags on the hoods, with HB on them—"

"— for Humongous Bighead," Fred said.

That done it. Everyone had snorted in laughter except for Percy and Molly who frowned at the twins.

"Why are the Ministry providing cars, Father?" Percy asked again as though the twins had never said anything.

"Well, as we haven't got one anymore," Arthur said as Harry, Tessa, and Ron all shared a look, "and as I work there, they're doing me a favor . . . Good thing, too. Do you realize how much luggage you've all got between you? A nice sight you'd be on the Muggle Underground . . . You are all packed, aren't you?"

"Ron hasn't put all his new things in his trunk yet," Percy tattled on his brother. "He's dumped them on my bed."

"You'd better go and pack properly, Ron, because we won't have much time in the morning," Molly said as Ron glared at Percy across the table.

After dinner everyone felt very full and sleepy. One by one, they all retreated back to their rooms until it was just Tessa and the twins left.

     George let out an incredibly dramatic yawn with a theatrical stretch of his arms. "Wow, I'm knackered," he said, sending a completely obvious wink to Fred before scampering away up the stairs.

     Tessa let out a laugh, dumping the empty box of fudge she'd shared with the others in a trash bin. "What was that about?"

     Fred rolled his eyes and muttered, "It's nothing." He got to his feet and picked up Tessa's bag for her. "Come on, I'll walk you to your room."

     Thanking him, Tessa made her way up the stairs with Fred right next to her. The duo talked about all the fun things they'd done over the summer, their paces slow and comfortable until they came to a stop in front of her room.

     "Thank you," she told him, craning her neck slightly to look up at him.

     "Anytime, Tess," Fred said, his lips pulling up to a smile as his eyes bored into hers. Tessa made no move to enter her room, and Fred didn't turn to leave either. She watched his throat bob and his hand slowly rise up to near her face. Then, very delicately, he used a finger to tuck a stray piece of her hair behind her ear, his touch lingering a second longer than necessary.

     Tessa's cheeks flamed as she snapped her eyes away from his brown ones. "Goodnight, Fred," she told him with a smile.

     He grinned, taking a step back as he nodded boyishly at her. "Sweet dreams, Tess."

     With that said, Tessa went inside as Fred disappeared down the corridor to his own room.

Perhaps it had been nearly an hour later when Tessa decided to go downstairs for some water. Feeling parched, she threw a sweater on before walking down the steps when she heard familiar voices in the dining areas.

" . . . makes no sense not to tell them," she heard Arthur Weasley say. "Harry and Tessa's got a right to know. I've tried to tell Fudge, but he insists on treating Harry like a child. Kasimir says it's not time either. They're thirteen years old and — "

Tessa sucked in a sharp breath upon hearing her name as she quickly slipped behind a wall to conceal herself.

"Arthur, the truth would terrify them!" Molly interrupted. "Do you really want to send the two back to school with that hanging over them? For heaven's sake, they're happy not knowing!"

"I don't want to make them miserable, I want to put both of them on their guard! You know what Harry, Tessa, and Ron are like, wandering off by themselves — they've ended up in the Forbidden Forest twice! But Harry and Tessa mustn't do that this year! When I think what could have happened to Harry that night he ran away from home! If the Knight Bus hadn't picked him up, I'm prepared to bet he would have been dead before the Ministry found him."

Tessa swallowed roughly. She had absolutely no idea what in the world they were talking about. What secret has been kept from her — again? What can put her in danger this time? Will the time ever come for her to find out the truth and what it is everyone has been keeping from her? It's not like it involves Voldemort or anything.

"But he's not dead," Molly retorted, "he's fine, so what's the point — "

"Molly, they say Sirius Black's mad, and maybe he is, but he was clever enough to escape from Azkaban, and that's supposed to be impossible. It's been three weeks, and no one's seen hide nor hair of him, and I don't care what Fudge keeps telling the Daily Prophet, we're no nearer catching Black than inventing self-spelling wands. The only thing we know for sure is what Black's after — "

"But Harry and Tessa will be perfectly safe at Hogwarts."

"We thought Azkaban was perfectly safe. If Black can break out of Azkaban, he can break into Hogwarts."

"But no one's really sure that Black's after Harry —"

There was a sudden thud and Tessa jolted in surprise. It sounded as though Arthur had banged his fist against a table.

"Molly, how many times do I have to tell you? They didn't report it in the press because Fudge wanted it kept quiet, but Fudge went out to Azkaban the night Black escaped. The guards told Fudge that Blacks been talking in his sleep for a while now. Always the same words: 'He's at Hogwarts . . . he's at Hogwarts.' Black is deranged, Molly, and he wants Harry dead — Tessa has a chance in getting away perhaps, he wouldn't dare touch Tessa because of her, but doesn't mean he still can't harm the girl. If you ask me, he thinks murdering Harry will bring You-Know-Who back to power. Black lost everything the night Harry stopped You-Know-Who, and he's had twelve years alone in Azkaban to brood on that . . . "

There was a short silence that followed. Tessa was scowling by now, she had never been more confused in her whole life. Why in the world would Sirius Black want Harry dead? And why would he harm her? It's not like Sirius Black knows her or anything.

"Well, Arthur, you must do what you think is right. But you're forgetting Albus Dumbledore. I don't think anything could hurt Harry or Tessa at Hogwarts while Dumbledore's Headmaster. I suppose he knows about all this?"

"Of course he knows. We had to ask him if he minds the Azkaban guards stationing themselves around the entrances to the school grounds. He wasn't happy about it, but he agreed."

"Not happy? Why shouldn't he be happy, if they're there to catch Black?"

"Dumbledore isn't fond of the Azkaban guards," Arthur said heavily. "Nor am I, if it comes to that . . . but when you're dealing with a wizard like Black, you sometimes have to join forces with those you'd rather avoid."

"If they save Harry —"

"– then I will never say another word against them," Arthur said. "It's late, Molly, we'd better go up . . . "

Tessa waited with baited breath. There were chairs moving around before footsteps could be heard climbing up the stairs. A bedroom door opened before closing shut, and that's when Tessa moved out of her hiding place and came face to face with someone who looked just as surprised as she was.

"Harry — !"

"Tessa!"

Tessa approached the boy, taking note of the slight frown on his face. "Did you hear . . . ?"

Harry nodded grimly. "Everything. I just — I don't know, it's all so very strange. Sirius Black is out there to find me and kill me." He gave her a sad smile. "And you too . . . I think? It's confusing, I don't understand . . . "

"Hey," Tessa said, taking Harry's hand in hers to give it a comforting squeeze.

Almost instantly, Harry felt some of the tension leave him, and he relaxed. He could always rely on Tessa on anything, he trusted Tessa more than anyone in the world. She was like a sister to him, and he was grateful to have her in his life.

"Remember what I always say?" she asked him with a slight hum.

Harry nodded. "We'll be okay."

"Exactly," Tessa said. "We'll be okay. As long as I'm alive, no one can hurt you without getting through me first. Now come on," she jerked her chin to the direction of the stairs. "We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

Harry smiled, feeling more assured than he'd been earlier. Together, the two walked back up the stairs and separated after a quick goodnight to get to their own rooms. Tomorrow would be a new day — a better day. At least that's what they hope for.

A/N

Any thoughts on this chapter? What about the NEXT chapter? We all know who Tessa's gonna meet in the train! With a new hairstyle omg how do you think will Tessa react when she sees it? What about Draco? What do you think he's gonna do when he sees Tessa's new hair as well?

Oh, what are you looking forward to in PRISONER OF AZKABAN? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

703K 24.9K 72
"Must be tough, everyone loves you, don't they? So goddamn perfect. They don't see it but I do, Potter. I can see straight through you." "And what do...
52.7K 2K 19
Winner of: The Car Awards The Chaos Awards (1st prize) The Hidden Gems Awards (1st prize) The Red Rose Awards (1st prize) The Magical Awards (1st pri...
84.6K 2.8K 33
Anger, revenge, and misery overtake Draco Malfoy ever since he is bitten and turned into a werewolf. After vowing to end the cruel and vicious Werewo...
1.7M 36.8K 53
His hands gripped her waist, and his head fit perfectly in the crook of her neck. She leaned back into his chest, a small smile spreading across her...