Remedy

By MissWorld2o15

(Sequel to Unbroken) The Cullens have been gone for almost a year now and Sophie is still having trouble deal... More

Preface
The Invite
The Pale Hand
The Inquiry
Confessions
The Agent
Not Needed
The Vision
Nightmares
Stallers
Montepulciano
Not Wanted
The Lair
The Way it used to Be
Hangover
Look Who's back
Her Power
Seattle
Back Again
Last Chance
Fresh Air
The Window
Planning and Prioritising
The Truth about Alec
Goodbye
The Ex
Departure
Surprise, Surprise
Memorium
The Volunteers
Grave Yard
The Talk
Unexpected
What Next
Confrontations
Turn Around
Anger
In Our Heads
Taking You Out
Werewolves
Bad Habits
Meeting the Calvary
Like a Married Couple
Anger Issues
The Call
Last Stand
Patched Up
The End
Epilogue

The Truth about the Volturi

2.2K 58 5
By MissWorld2o15

Bella and Edward spoke in hushed voices probably hoping I couldn't hear what they were saying from where I sat in the back of their car. I wasn't even paying the least bit of attention to them really.

I had to fake being okay around my dad and Helen until we got home. So when Bella and Edward showed up at my door step asking my dad if we could hang out, I didn't waste time in rushing out the door.

At least in their car I didn't have to pretend to be okay. I practically shut down and allowed myself to be completely and utterly tramautised.

My mind played over everything that had happened. What if Bella and Edward hadn't shown up when they did?

According to them, they had just been on their way back from visiting their daughter and her husband and they just happened to be using the path through the cemetery. I hadn't even thought much about the fact that Bella and Edward hadn't been in school with the rest. I didn't even know that they weren't in town.

Who knew all those facts would be so important now? And so trivial to me surviving today?

The car drove past the many trees that hid the Cullen house but once we made it past them, I immediately caught sight of Esme, Carlisle and... him already out front.

The car had hardly come to a stop when the door to the back seat was pulled open and I felt myself being pulled out of the vehicle and being suspended in the air.

Emmett had lifted me up and his arms were squeezed around me in what I thought was a hug. Either that or he was literally trying to squeeze the life out of me.

"Emmett... can't... breath." I managed to chock out.

"Oh my goodness!" He spoke quickly before placing me down.

He put his arms on my shoulders and looked into my eyes. "I'm so sorry, I-I just got overwhelmed... I-I was just so worried about you and-and when I heard-I just-I should have been there-I-."

Emmett stammering. That was definitely a rare occurrence.

I placed my hand on one of his that was still on my shoulder. "I'm okay, Emmett. I'm okay."

He looked at me and there was nothing but complete and utter relief on his face.

He opened his mouth and looked like he was about to say something but seemed to change his mind or just not know what to say.

He pulled me into another hug but this time he applied far less pressure. It still kind of hurt but it was manageable. And I didn't think I had the heart to pull him away with the state he was in.

Besides, the hug actually came as a source of comfort. My mind drifted back to the day in the bowling alley when he had told me that I didn't have to go through anything alone...

Then it was suddenly like the past year flashed back into my mind. I did have to go through all that alone. He lied.

I came to my senses and gently nudged him away from me.

There was hurt written on his face but clearly he understood the reason for my actions.

Behind him, Carlisle and Esme were welcoming back Bella and Edward.

The minute after Esme hugged both her children, she moved on to me and wrapped me in a comforting hug that all mothers seemed to perfect.

Carlisle appeared behind me and patted my back. He gave me a charming smile.

"I see you haven't grown out of your accident prone habits." He spoke. I appreciated that he was trying to lighten the mood.

I let out a laugh. "What can I say, doc? I'm a danger magnet."

All the while Emmett stood behind us quietly. I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable and awkward myself by the gesture we had just shared even if it was just a simple hug.

"Where's Jasper and Alice?" Bella asked the question I had been wondering myself.

Although I hadn't been the kindest to Alice, I could really use one of her hugs too. And having Jasper around wasn't just like having a big brother around but his ability would surely come in handy right about now.

"They're scouting the area, looking for signs of any more vampires or the woman Sophie's attacker was talking about."

I felt a shiver go down my spine as the guy's blood red eyes flashed in my memory. Trust me when I say that I have had many close run ins with death. But this one... This one was different. More life threatening. He didn't waste his time. I felt his fangs on my neck. He was going for the kill and I never would have been able to stop him.

This one was much more scarey than the others. Because this time, it could have just ended in a split second if I hadn't been so blessed.

I felt arms on my shoulder but they were gone just as soon as they came. Emmett stood in front of me. He looked at the ground quickly as if he had committed a crime just by touching me. "You shivered." He commented. "Are you cold?" He asked.

I didn't want to tell him that it was a result of my trauma so I just nodded quickly. "I'm fine."

Goodness, even talking to him was awkward and difficult.

"You do look cold, dear. Lets go inside and get you something to drink." Esme spoke as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders and led me inside.

Esme sat me down in the living area and disappeared into the kitchen. Bella also disappeared frm the room while Edward took a seat on the couch opposite me. Carlise sat beside me and looked at me in concern. "Are you sure you're okay? Maybe I should give you a check up incase."

I shook my head. "No. Really, I'm fine. Bella and Edward got most of the hits." I spoke as I once again gave him a grateful smile.

"Anytime." Edward smiled. Emmett stood quietly in behind where Edward sat looking out of place. He was constantly staring at me. And whenever I would look at him, he would quickly avert his eyes.

Bella came back in with a blanket in her hand. She wrapped it around me. "This should help." She told me.

"Thanks." I smiled at her gratefully. She went to sit next to Edward.

Esme came in shortly after with a tea cup and saucer. She sat down next to me and handed it to me.

"Here you are, dear, it's camomile. It will help you calm down,"

"Thank you." I told her in gratitude. I wish I could do more than say thank you to all of them for their incredible hospitality even with all I had done to them.

Carlisle got up and looked at his family.

"I was going to wait for Alice and Jasper but I think we will debrief them when they get back." He turned to look at me. "Sophie, until we figure everything out. We will have to set up some protective details for you and your family."

"No." I replied immediately. They all looked at me in confusion.

"Sophie, it's not really something that's up for discussion. We still don't know who or where whoever is after you is." Bella spoke up.

I put my tea cup down and looked up at Emmett, this time he did't look away this time. I expected him to join in his family's protests, but he didn't.

"I know, and I know that if you and Bella hadn't shown up, I would be dead right now." I sighed. "But... but I can't put you through this again. When this all happened with James you all dropped everything to not only watch over me but my dad and my aunt too. And I really can't ask you to do this for me again."

I meant everything I said, I didn't want them to be my personal body guards. They had their own lives and really, now that I wasn't with Emmett... they really didn't have to.

Esme gave me a warm smile. She put her hand on mine. "Dear, we don't mind at all. We really do care about you and we won't stop. No matter what happens."

I frowned. She just had to use those words and I know that Emmett noticed too because at that moment he let out a strangled sound. "Excuse me." he muttered before turning to leave. I looked at the ground immediately feeling guilty.

"Did I say something wrong?" Esme asked mostly her family. I don't think she expected me to respond.

"Um... something happened... um... between us and..." I didn't really feel like diving into how I felt about Emmett right now. Especially around his family.

"Anyway..." I spoke changing the topic. "I really don't want to bother you with this. I have a solution anyway. I am going to join the volturi." I was so grateful that Emmett wasn't here because I wouldn't be able to deal with his reaction.

"That's crazy." Edward started.

"Yeah, Sophie, I don't even know how to begin how to tell you what a bad idea that is." Esme spoke.

"Okay, I know that you don't really like them but-"

"Don't like them?" Bella spoke. "Sophie, they tried to kill me and my daughter. They're self made, unfair leaders who only make rulings based on what's good for them and only them." she spoke angrily.

I frowned. Emmett, Jasper and Alice had tried to tell me all this in the hallway at school.

I was really mad earlier because Emmett was involved and I thought it was just some elaborate plan.

But now Bella was telling me this and I started second guessing the way I reacted.

The whole purpose of this time was so that I could thoroughly think through this decision and assess it carefully. Now I had the opportunity to actually learn about the people I wanted to go live with and I was throwing it away. I mean at this moment, joining the volturi sounded like the best option. I was in the same position I had been in with James and I just didn't want to feel helpless again. I didn't want to put my loved ones in danger again.

"I don't want to offend you in any way or do something rash and stupid. My mother is part of the volturi and... that honestly makes me feel like that is a safe place. But I want to hear you out too because I do value your opinion." I told them.

Bella's expression softened. She leaned into Edward who put his arm around her.

"I'm sorry for going off on you like that, Sophie." She spoke.

Edward gave me a small smile. "Really, it's just the mother bear in her comes out in situations like this." He spoke.

Bella glared at Edward but nodded in agreement. "Sophie, you do remind me a lot of our daughter and we didn't fight so hard to keep renesme safe just so that Aro could take someone else we care about."

I looked around and they all seemed to agree with Bella.

My mind immediately went to Alec and my mother. Suddenly the 'pros' of joining the volturi didn't feel as solid anymore.

"Sophie." Carlisle spoke. "I know everyone has given you their input and now, I want to give you mine. I don't think the volturi are bad people."

I saw the disapproval in Bella's eyes. But she didn't say anything. Neither did Edward. I knew it was because they respected Carlisle too much. Esme just looked on at her mate with nothing but understanding.

"I stayed with the volturi for two decades and within that time, I had time to study them. We do need them in the vampire world. They maintain peace and keep our secret concealed. But they have power, a lot of it. And too much power tends to corrupt people. Now I can't tell you whether or not you should go live with them but I will tell you this. Aro is a very influential person. Him, Marcus and Caius actually tried to get me to drink human blood almost the entire time I was there. Aro likes getting things his way, so to say, he's good to people who follow his rules and bad to people who don't.

Maybe it's a question of knowing who you are. But I can assure you Aro will make you very unsure. You'll have to become his 'soldier' and with that title comes certain responsibilities. There are no exceptions." He took in a deep breath. "So the real question is... Are you willing to become the person the Volturi expects you to be?"

I wasn't sure how to feel about his words. I knew that he wasn't trying to manipulate me in any way. To be honest, I hadn't really seen any of them do anything... I felt like I was just seeing what they wanted me to see. I didn't really know what they did on a daily basis.

"Thank you for telling me all this, Carlisle, you too Bella. I think I know what I'm going to do."

I didn't really understand my decision but I knew it had to be done.

"And..." I continued. "I'd like to talk to Emmett. If that's okay with you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242K 4.6K 40
Alex moves to Forks with her mom, Ashley, to get rid of the bullies. Ashley's best friends, Billy and Charlie lived there too. Alex becomes friends w...
76.4K 2.8K 26
Seemingly back from the dead, Micah is set with a new strand of challenges. Only this one could hurt the people he cares the most about should he mak...
196K 4.6K 23
In which a troubled girl finds solace in something god-like. [Carlisle Cullen X Female OC] TW: ABUSE, SUICIDE ATTEMPT
187K 5.8K 29
Bella is at her lowest when Edward leaves she got so bad that she is now on a cliff ready to jump off but what happens when she jumps. (Rosalie, Tan...