The Fallen King | ✓

By myreadingaddictions

Harper King is the girl who has it all. More fame than you could ever imagine, looks beyond compare and the... More

Author's Note
Character Aesthetics
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Companion Novel - Assassination 101

Chapter 13

5.2K 154 50
By myreadingaddictions

~Chapter 13~

Winter Fallow was one of my best friends and I'd like to think I knew her quite well. So when she called me at six this morning to make sure I'd be on time for her show later I knew something was up.

Today Winter's new line was releasing and she was holding a fashion show in the evening to show everything off.

It was obvious that she was worried about the upcoming responses but I couldn't shake the feeling that something else was wrong. Ever since I had spoken to her and Liam two weeks ago she'd been acting strange.

Most people would assume it was just stress but I knew better. However, my speculation could wait. Right now Winter's fashion show going perfectly was my top priority.

I was going to head to the venue in a few hours so I could help Winter out and maybe ease her stress slightly but there were a few things I had to get done first.

Most of it was simply mundane routine like buying groceries and doing the washing but there was one thing I'd almost forgotten about: mailing an outfit to that girl I'd met at the cinema with Axel months ago, Bella.

Axel had asked me why I was extra nice to her that day but I'd waved him off. Subconsciously, I just felt the need to look after her. I knew why but it wasn't something I had wanted to delve into with him at the time. Some things were just best left unsaid; it was easier that way.

~*~*~

"Boo," Axel said from behind me, grabbing my shoulders and making me jump.

"God, Axel. Are you going to do this every time you see me?"

He shrugged cheekily, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes that I didn't like one bit. "That depends."

"On what?"

"If you carry on being so easy to scare."

I scowled playfully at him. "I guess that means I'm going to have to get you back then."

"If you can..."

"Challenge accepted, Knight," I said, flashing him a devilish grin and he chuckled.

Axel, Liam and I were all modelling for Winter tonight and even Maddie had come for moral support. The show was starting in about half an hour but I hadn't had the chance to speak to Axel until now.

Our awkward encounter from a few weeks ago was, thankfully, quickly forgotten and it'd only been a day or so before we went back to texting again, said day left in the past and never mentioned. Although it was clearly the elephant in the room, it didn't seem to really bother either of us and I was happy keeping it that way. I just didn't have the brain capacity to look into it any further. There was already far too much going on.

Feelings would have to wait, indefinitely.

~*~*~

I threw back a shot, slamming the glass on the wooden surface in front of me without a care. "See, Win, the show went perfectly. Don't stress. Just relax and read the responses in the morning. There's nothing you can do now," I told her, handing her a shot of vodka.

She eyed the liquid uneasily, shaking her head at me. "I'll try Harps but you know I'm a worrier."

When it was obvious that she wasn't going to take the shot from me, I shrugged and downed it myself, feeling the buzz in my mind strengthen, the world around me momentarily going out of focus. "Worrying isn't going to change the outcome. Besides, the show went great so there's nothing to worry about."

Liam grinned from beside her, slinging his arm around Winter's shoulder as he ordered another round from the bar. "She's right, baby," he said adoringly, his words slurring slightly. "You did amazing. Now please just relax. You've earned a break."

I gratefully accepted the drink pushed my way, draining the liquid in seconds.

"You know," Winter chimed. "I'm starting to think that you both might have a drinking problem. You might want to slow down."

I shook my head, waving her off. "Nah, I only drink when I'm out with mates," mostly. "I'm fine."

She gave me a sceptical look but, thankfully, didn't say anything else on the matter, instead turning her attention to Liam when he spilt the contents of his drink all over his jeans.

"Where'd Axel go?" I asked no one in particular a few minutes later once Winter was done trying to clean the mess.

Liam looked from his irritated girlfriend to me and back again before absentmindedly answering my question. "Went to the toilet I think."

Without another word, I got up from my seat to find Axel and give the couple some privacy. They weren't getting enough alone time these days with all the work they'd been doing and it was still putting a massive strain on their relationship no matter how much it was clear they cared for one another.

I was hoping that this outing we'd planned for celebrating Winter's fashion show would bring them closer together again but only time would tell. I mean, I knew they'd work it out eventually but I wanted it to be sooner rather than later. It really wasn't great when two of your closest friends were bickering. It killed me to see them so strained and unhappy so the faster they solved this the better, for all our sakes.

It took me a few minutes before I spotted Axel on the opposite side of the room. I wandered over to him, doing my best not to stumble as I did.

His back was turned so I tried to scare him but my drunken clumsiness must have given me away when I accidentally knocked over a glass from a nearby table. The 'thud' made him turn around and spot me before I could make him jump. I huffed in annoyance, crossing my arms like a child and Axel chuckled, probably catching onto my failed plan.

"Trying to scare me were you?"

I didn't look him in the eye, instead choosing to focus on the dark ceiling. "Maybe..."

Axel shook his head in amusement, his brown eyes twinkling in the yellow lights. "Only you, Harper. Only you," he muttered and I grinned at him.

"Wanna go for a walk outside? It's too stuffy in here."

"What about Liam and Winter?" he asked, gesturing to the couple whispering to each other by the bar.

I shook my head, grabbing his hand as I lead him outside. He didn't protest but I could see the confusion on his face as we walked, him patiently waiting for an explanation.

Once we made it out of the stuffy club, I released a breath, turning to face Axel. "They need some alone time," I explained shortly, not bothering to go into specifics; now wasn't the time. "So we're going to do something fun."

He raised a questioning brow at me, a smirk dancing on his lips. I matched his expression with my own mischievous grin as I gently tugged on his arm so he was trailing behind me. "Whoah, I'm not that kind of guy. At least buy me dinner first," he joked, matching my pace, making me roll my eyes in amusement.

We moved quickly along the New York City streets, not wasting a second of our precious time together. I pulled Axel from alley to alley, manoeuvring us through the city I'd come to understand so well. I knew all the back alleys and side streets because it was a necessity in escaping the paparazzi. They never tended to look for you in such inconspicuous areas — at least, usually they didn't.

Axel didn't question me as we speed-walked through the city, only looking mildly surprised at the unusual route I was taking him down. "This isn't some elaborate murder plan, is it?"

I shot him a mischievous look. "If it was, I wouldn't tell you."

He laughed at that, increasing his pace so we were practically running side by side down the dingy alleyways. "Fair enough. If that was your intention, it would be a pretty good way to go. Luring me of my own accord into some back alley so you can kill me and easily hide the body."

"Nice idea. Then I could call for backup. I've got a pact with Zack and Wyatt that I could always use..."

Axel paused for a second. "I've got that same pact with Zack too. I hope he's not actually up to something. It was a joke one night when we were drunk but I am a man of my word." He actually looked slightly troubled by the thought and I had to stifle my laugh.

"A deals a deal..." I told him, humour in my tone.

Zack wasn't the type to get into that sort of issue. Dirty work was never his thing. If anything, he'd hire a hitman and none of us would have to get involved.

"I suppose," he mused, his tone lightening as he actually thought through our conversation.

After a few moments, a smile graced his lips and it seemed he could barely contain his amusement. "Imagine Zack actually going through with something like that."

I snorted in a rather unladylike fashion but Axel didn't seem to mind. "When pigs fly. That boy gets uncomfortable at the sight of dusty furniture. There's no way he'd be able to deal with blood or anything of the sort. Far too messy."

Axel nodded in agreement as we came to a halt, finally at our destination — well, almost.

He eyed me sceptically, confused as to why we were standing behind a rundown looking building with missing bricks and broken pieces of scaffolding dotted about.

I gave him a knowing look. "Patience, young one."

He gasped over dramatically. "I'm older than you."

I waved him off. "A year means nothing."

"Really? I'd say I'm far wiser."

Rolling my eyes, I reached for one of the holes in the brickwork, using the empty space as a handhold. "Sure."

"And more experienced..."

By his tone, the double meaning was obvious and it almost made me lose my hold but I managed to hold on, continuing to climb up the ancient building.

"Um, Harper," Axel called, sounding uneasy and I hummed in recognition, about a third of the way up the wall. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Climbing."

I couldn't see him but I just knew he was rolling his eyes at me. "I figured that much out, Captain Obvious."

"Relax, Axel," I said when I was about halfway up. "I've done this hundreds of times."

"What!?" he all but screamed.

"I've been doing this since I moved here. Don't worry, I took safety precautions at first but I can almost do this with my eyes closed now. I'm fine."

"Safety precautions my ass. This is fucking ridiculous," he shouted, starting to sound panicked and delirious.

Okay, maybe I should've explained instead of springing it on him like this. "It's alright, Axel. Calm down. I know what I'm doing so don't worry about me," I said as soothingly as I could, my hand reaching the window ledge I had been spying.

I hauled myself into the open window before looking down at Axel, a soft smile on my face. "See, not a scratch."

It was hard to make out his facial expression from so high up but it was still clear that he wasn't at all calm. However, he didn't voice his concerns any further. "Now what?"

"Now you climb up," I said a little too bluntly.

He did a double-take and I could image the incredulous expression he'd be wearing. "You've got to be fucking joking."

"Nope."

"I'm not climbing up that."

"Why not?" I pouted but I was only playing.

"Because... because..." he spluttered, struggling to articulate just how he was feeling to me but he didn't need to. It was written all over his face.

"I'm afraid of heights," he finally admitted a minute later, looking down at the ground, his quiet voice barely reaching my ears.

I softened at his vulnerable tone, deciding it was best to stop playing now. "Don't worry, Axel. I was only teasing. I wouldn't actually make you climb up here. I'm not crazy."

"Debatable."

"I heard that," I said and he tried, unsuccessfully, to stifle a grin. "Anyway, the door next to you is unlocked. You can come up the stairs."

He stared at me in utter disbelief. "Then why on earth did you climb up?"

I shrugged. "For fun."

"Fun? I — what — but — you know what? I'm not even going to bother," he said, sounding resigned as he opened the stained wooden door. "Give me a minute."

Not long later, Axel reached the floor I was standing on and walked over to where I was. I lead him through the door of a joined building that was much taller than this one and we climbed up a stupid number of stairs together.

When we eventually reached the roof of the slightly-less-old-and-much-taller building, I lay down on my back, pulling Axel down to do the same.

"Okay so why did we have to come up here?"

I pointed to the midnight sky, looking at the sight before me in wonder. The night sky was twinkling with numerous stars and it took my breath away.

This place way my getaway. My hideaway from the rest of the world. It was the one place where I could finally be me and just relax in my own skin. There were no pressures here and the momentary peace it gave me was welcomed in my hectic life.

I usually visited here at least twice a week to escape the world.

It was my spot, my safe haven — and I was sharing it with Axel. No one knew about this place, no one but him.

I'm not sure why I brought him here; there were so many places I could've taken him but my legs carried us here and a part of me liked that. For some reason, I didn't mind sharing it with him. It felt right in a way I couldn't explain.

Axel breathed in sharply, clearly awestruck by the sight.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Undoubtedly," he said softly.

My heart skipped a beat at the sudden thought appearing in my mind. From the corner of my eye, it almost looked like he was looking at me and not the sky.

~*~*~

Axel and Harper honestly get me every time. I love them so much.

How'd you find the chapter? Please do share your thoughts with me and let me know what you think. Also don't forget to vote and comment — it really helps me out 💜.

Anyways, I hope you liked the chapter and it made you smile :)

Until next time my amazing readers, bye xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49K 2.2K 48
"Can a Man be complete for a Woman? Can he vanish away her pain?" . . Let's Find out!! -Self ...
1.1M 38.4K 67
"I will ruin you baby," he whispers digging his nails into my hips sending a chill cascading down my spine. "Then ruin me Jude, ruin me till there's...
1.4K 156 37
Brooklyn has a role on a blockbuster teen TV series, but she's the overlooked sidekick who never gets the good lines. Cade is the brooding star all t...
35.9M 1.1M 47
"She's hot." "Yeah, I know. I'm kinda jealous..." "I'm gonna ask her out." "Are you crazy? You're asking for a death wish." "What's so wrong with me...