No Sleep Was Given

By MichaelWhitehouse6

From the writer of 'Bedtime', 'The Melancholy of Herbert Solomon', 'Tunnels', and 'On a Hill' comes a collect... More

Introduction
King's Drift
Sniff
Bits & Pieces
The End of All Hallows Eve
Mr Leaves
Burnt Offering
To New Friends
Among the Trees
One for the Road
The Spare Room
Can Something Be That Frightening?
Is There Life After Death?

A Knock at the Door

438 32 4
By MichaelWhitehouse6

On the 25th of November, 1941, my Great Uncle was killed when the HMS Barham blew up like a powder keg after being torpedoed by a German Submarine. The event was captured on film and is an horrific sight, as the men serving on the ship scrambled for their lives on the capsized hull, before the main magazine caught fire and exploded. When word got back to my gran, she was heartbroken having lost her dear brother. 

Sifting through the memories of their love, she sat not long after, reading the letters my Great Uncle Frank had sent her while on the ship. As she wept inconsolably, she just could not let go of the pain. Surrounded by the letters like tombstones, anguished reminders of what had been lost, suddenly someone knocked at the front door. Yet there was no-one there, just an empty street at night. When my gran returned to the room where she had been crying for hours, something strange had happened - all the letters were gone, save for one, which my father now possesses.

I don't know how true the story is, for grief can make illusions of the world, but I have read the letter, many times in fact. There is something curious about it, because it was signed twice by my Great Uncle. The second signature is undoubtedly his handwriting, and reads: "Don't cry, sis. Always with you. - December 12th, 1941", the same night someone came knocking at the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126 46 46
Ever imagined living in a haunted house? Like the ones you see on TV? Or the ones you have maybe read in a book before. Like a good Stephen King stor...
3.5K 275 14
Six friends decide to take a road trip. They want to get out and see the world. However, the world has things best left unseen. For this night is the...
3.6K 139 59
Some great stories that I love! Hope you guys love them too! Please let me know about any mistakes and or comments on what y'all want. Enjoy! Thanks...
77.4K 1.9K 54
Amazing cover made by @TheGreatSphinx.This is mostly short clips and stories that I made up. Some are scarier than others. Others might scare the liv...