What He Doesn't Know {Complet...

By TheRiverRunsDeep

Allison Snow was ten years younger than Colton Pierce but that didn’t affect their tight bond. That was until... More

Need You Now
Leave the Pieces
Don't You Remember
We Can't Stop
Cups
Run, Baby, Run
Wrecking Ball
Shut Up and Let Me Go
My Life Would Suck Without You
Liar
Trust
Seventy Times 7
The Monster
Author's Note
Semi-Automatic
Animal I Have Become
Love The Way You Lie
Breath
MakeDamnSure
Half of My Heart
Animal
Airplanes
Hot 'n Cold
The Great Escape
U + Ur Hand
Beggin For Thread
Hey Brother
Ugly On The Inside
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
Gives You Hell
Secrets
Diary
Sweet and Low
Thinking Out Loud
Sugar
I Know You
I Put A Spell On You
Can't You See
Paris
Smile
Lock Me Up
Please Don't Go
If I Die Young
Sloppy Seconds
This is Gospel
Hard to Love
Epilogue: At Last

Closer

41.5K 1.3K 92
By TheRiverRunsDeep

UNEDITED!

***

"You're cold and sweet, just like ice cream

With eyes so big I hoped you'd see,

You begged for grace, you left no grace for me

You traded places with the sun

Made me orbit around your love

With no regard or notice of my world below you burning up

So don't you come any closer, don't you come any closer" 

— Johnnyswim "Closer"

***

Colton’s P.O.V

 I looked down at Allison, who was curled up beside me on the couch. She was watching the movie planning before us, intently. 

 I, on the other hand, sat on the couch thinking about what she said to me earlier. No matter how many times I tried to get over what she revealed, I couldn’t. I couldn’t help but feel like what happened to her was my fault. If I just stayed in town and not let my father convince me to leave she wouldn’t have been — ... 

 I closed my eyes as pictures of a man daring to touch her crossed my mind. I could only imagine her screams and helplessness. 

 Suddenly, I untangled from Allison and stood up as the thought could no longer plague my mind — or I’d snap to a point of no return.

 “Where are you going?” She asked as she grabbed the remote and paused the movie. Her eyes gazed at me with concern.

 “I’ll be right back,” I reassured her as I looked away, knowing that I couldn’t look at her for I’d only reflect pity and remorse. I knew she didn’t want that so, without saying anything else; I walked away. 

 Stepping into the hall bathroom, I closed and locked the door. My hands went on both sides of the marble sink as I attempted to control my breathing. However after a minute or two of breathing in and out heavily, I realized my tries were in vain. Nothing was going to help because I kept thinking about what she went through and how I was not there to stop it. 

 I was supposed to protect her. I was supposed to care for her, and I abandoned her.

 All the blood rushed to my head as anger clouded all my other emotions. 

 “I failed,” I admitted aloud. 

 My head turned to the door, and I shook my head. “I failed her.”

 The phone in my front pocket began to ring, I reached in and pulled it out to find that it was the last person in the world I wanted to talk to.

***

 FLASHBACK TWO YEARS AGO:

*** 

“Mr. Pierce, just a second,” my professor, Dr. Kravits, called out to me right before I was to leave the class. 

 I looked over at Dr. Kravits, and saw she was placing her folders in her brown, leather, briefcase that had clearly seen better days. When I reached the podium that she was standing on, she looked at me and smiled. “I just wanted to say, out of earshot of the others, that your essay was rated top in the class. Scored a solid 100. Nice work, Mr. Pierce.” 

 I smiled, “Oh, wow, really?"

"Yes, you had a compelling argument and strong thesis. You should be proud."

"Thank you for telling me ... Well, I hope you have a good weekend, Dr. Kravits. See, you Monday." I began to make my way out, but she stopped me once more. 

 "Have you considered the writing club? I think you will make a perfect fit.”

 I glanced down at my wristwatch to see it was two-thirty. Alice would be home by now. I wanted to get back to the dorm so I can call her. However, I knew Dr. Kravits was not going to stop talking anytime soon. 

 “I have considered but it’s not for me,” I answered as I put my attention back on her.

 Dr. Kravits nodded, “To each their own but you should reconsider. It would look great on your resume.”

 “I will,” With that I told Dr. Kravits goodbye, hoping she’d see my urgency to go — and thankfully she did. 

When I was finally out of the building and the rays of the sun were beating down on me, I picked up my pace with excitement to get back to the dorm and, finally, talk to Alice. I was thrilled to tell her that I'd bought her plane tickets to fly out here and visit me.

She's been bugging me to come down, and I keep having to tell her no and makeup excuses. I'd zero guts to tell her I was broke and couldn't fork up the money for her to come down here. However after hours on top of hours at a hole in the wall restaurant a mile from campus, I finally earned enough money to send her down here. 

I just had to remember to keep these plans of mine away from my father. He would blow a casket that I plan to have her visit me here. He'd likely lecture me on how I need to separate myself from Alice so she can 'live her own life'. 

 “Colton. Colton Pierce,” A voice called out, disconnecting me from my thoughts. 

 I groaned and felt slight anger at the person that interrupted my attempts to get to Alice. Spinning around, I came face to face with a man leaning against a black Mercedes. “Mr. Pierce?” The man questioned as he placed his hands in front of his round belly.

 “Yes, and you are?” 

 “The name is Robert Hayes," He proclaimed as he moved his thin rimmed glass from the brim of his nose to the bridge. "I would like to have a word with you.”

 I readjusted my backpack and gave a low sigh. “About...?”

 “Why don’t you come with me?” He asked as he nodded in the direction of his car. 

 I looked at the car and then back at him, “I’m good here.” My head snapped towards the dorm, “Plus, I need to get back to my dorm as soon as—”

 “I know a man came to you last week. He said your cousin Mich had died and left you the Four Leaf Clover Gang.”

 My eyes narrowed at him, “My answer has not changed from last week. I want no part in the gang.”

 Robert chuckled, “You have no choice.”

 “I do and I say no.” I went to walk away, but Robert’s voice stopped me. 

 “I know you are close to a woman named Allison Snow. She is headed on the right track, top ten percent of her class, stable life — would hate for all that to come crumbling down.”

 Facing Robert, I balled up my fist. “What are you playing at?”

 “Does it help to say I am not sent by the Four Leaf Clover Gang?” 

 I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, “Who sent you?”

 “I am part of the FBI — head of a division that has been trying to track down Mich. We’ve been following him and every time we get a little dirt on him, he: pays / kills off witnesses, gets rid of the proof, etc.  basically he covers his tracks ... Now, years later, I want to not only put Mich behind bars but other top gang leaders. But, I need your help.”

 “He is dead, you have no case now."

Mr. Hayes smiled, "There is so much you need to be caught up on. Like for instance that your cousin is not dead. He faked his death the day before I arrested his slimy ass ... point is you are to help me, Mr. Pierce or ... well, I can make not only your life Hell, but more so poor, innocent, Allison's."

"You can’t hurt her—”

 “Years of chasing one man will drive you to do things — this won't top the list. So, don't think my threat is empty.”

 “What you are doing is illegal,” I gritted. 

 Robert shrugged his shoulders, “It is not illegal if you have no proof — which you don’t. And that is how it will be. You will help me — for the sake of your dear Allison. Plus, there will be other benefits if you decide to, graciously, help us.”

*** 

END OF FLASHBACK

***

“Hello?” I answered right after I cleared my voice. 

“Mr. Sharp, my dear friend,” Robert Hayes’ voice sounded from the other end. 

I sat down on the toilet and sighed, “Mr. Hayes. What can I do for you?” 

“Well, I had a meeting with Tony yesterday, and I have to say: I am not pleased with you at all. I believe that Allison Snow is a distraction for you.”

“Ms. Snow is a not a distraction.”

Mr. Hayes said nothing for a prolonged minute, but soon his rough, deep voice spoke up. “I beg to differ. Since she has been in your care you have not made one attempt to find your cousin, Mich. Now, I know this means nothing to you, but I've invested years in this. I cannot have distractions.” 

“I have a lead; I am tracking it down.”

“Tony didn’t tell me that.”

“Tony doesn’t know, yet.”

Mr. Haynes chuckled, “Mr. Sharp, Tony is my eyes and ears where you are. I am running several projects. If he tells me you are slacking, then I believe you are slacking. The correlation between your slacking and Ms. Snow coming into the picture is staggering.”

“I don’t think—”

“Tomorrow, you have a meeting with Mr. McCarter."

“Garrett McCarter?”

“Yes, him. I found out the day you kicked him out of the building and didn’t have the scheduled meeting—”

“He broke into my office, Mr. Hayes." I tried to validate my reason for kicking Garrett out. However, even then, I knew he wouldn't accept it. 

“The point is, Mr. Sharp, when I make appointments you are to keep them. Now, you are going to meet with him and make a deal.”

“A deal? ... What kind of deal?”

***

Allison's P.O.V

***

Sitting on the couch, I looked at the paused television screen and wondered how much longer Colton was going to be.

Suddenly, I heard a raised voice and long bang that made me jolt up into a sitting position. Getting off the couch, I followed the loud noises to the hall bathroom.

“Colton?” I questioned as I gave a small knock on the bathroom door in concern. “Are you okay?”  

The door flew open and before me was a very pissed off Colton. Looking down, I saw that he was clutching his phone so hard his knuckles were white. My eyesight focused back up at his face. “Is everything alright?” I asked with curiosity.

“Can a man just take a shit?” He questioned with venom leaking in his tone. Without so much as an ‘excuse me’, Colton pushed past me and began walking down the hallway. 

"Sorry — I thought I heard..." I trailed off, realizing he was not listening to me. “Are you not going to finish the movie with me?” I inquired in a louder tone when I noted he was heading away from the living room. 

Colton stopped walking and turned around on his heel. “I have to prepare for a very important meeting.”

My eyebrows furrowed, “You promised me a day—”

“I have more important things to do then play past lives.” Colton rolled his brown eyes, “You were right earlier, Mrs. Snow. I am not the Colton you remember. I am a monster. I am Mr. Sharp.”

“Where is all this coming from? Just a little while ago you said—”

“Ms. Snow, Tony is going to be up here in about ten minutes. He will lead you to your room. I have a meeting to prepare for.”

“I know the way to my room.”

Colton gave a deep chuckle, “You are to sleep where the others are.”

“The others?” 

“Tony will be looking for you in the living room.”

“The others?” I repeated with confusion. 

Colton slipped his phone in his front pocket and nodded. “Where my ‘prisoners’ are kept.”

I stood there, shell-shocked. “You lied.”

“No. I simply decided to mess with you. It was fun, now I have to work.”

“Mess with me?”

Colton gave a smile that I could tell was forced. “Yes, mess with you. The whole story about Mich — fake. Just to simply mess with you.”

“I told you—”

Colton waved me off, “I’m very aware of what you told me, Ms. Snow. And, I'm sorry that that happened to you.”

Anger coursed through my veins and within seconds I was practically in Colton's face. "What the hell has got into you? Why are doing this, Cole?” I pleaded to know. “Why?!”

“Don’t call me that.”

I stared him down, “You’re right, I shouldn’t call you Cole. The man that holds that name is not the monster that you are. He is my best friend.”

Mr. Sharp flinched. “You best be getting to the living room. Tony will be here soon.

I turned around and sprinted into the living room. I made my way to the door — not the couch where an obedient dog would go after Mr. Sharps orders. I opened the door and was about to step out when a voice behind me called out.

“Where do you think you can go that I won’t find you, Ms. Snow?”

I looked over my shoulders at Mr. Sharp. “I’m not staying here. I refuse to have you order me around. I refuse to look at you, let alone be something you can ‘mess’ with when you feel like it.”

Mr. Sharp nodded, “You don’t have to, after tomorrow.”

“Huh?”

“After tomorrow you will not have to see my face again.”

“You are letting me go?”

“No. I am trading you.”

“Trading me?” 

“Tomorrow you are to be traded with Garrett McCarter.”

“What? You cannot trade me! I am not some baseball card! You can’t simply—”

“On the contrary, I can — and will. Now, close the door because you won’t get an inch out the front door of my condo before one of my workers haul you back in. They — unlike me — have all the time in the world to deal with you, Ms. Snow ... There is no escaping.” 

***

A/N

I know, the whiplash of Colton's behavior is annoying — I KNOW! However, please bear with me ... I have plans ... Muhahahahaha!

Oh and can you also, 

Vote

Comment

and 

SMILE!      

P.S - I know the song has no video. Apparently it is not very popular and doesn't have any videos on YouTube (as of 10/20/2014). But, I urge you to check out the song — it is perfect for the relationship of Colton and Alice, in my opinion. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 37.9K 29
(Book 2) *Contains spoilers below* "I needed more closure than what you gave me." I half lied. "It feels like an open wound someone keeps pourin...
241K 16.5K 69
Graduation is right around the corner for Ada Sinclair. She's spent all of high school saving up for her dream college and skipped high school tradit...
410K 17.6K 75
The corner of his mouth tilts upward slightly. I smile again. A smile!? A tiny one, but still. "Hm. So I got you to smile, that's progress, yeah? Can...
71.3K 3.5K 47
***Complete***Book 3 in a series involving the same group of friends** Andrew Miller had a difficult upbringing and as a result his friends are his f...