Gold Weaver | ✓

By matemenot

[MATURE CONTENT] a rumpelstiltskin retelling #1 in the ODD FAIRYTALES series "Do you enjoy torturing me?" H... More

tragic, i dare say
eins
zwei
drei
vier
fünf
sechs
sieben
acht
zehn
elf
zwölf
dreizehn
vierzehn
fünfzehn
sechszehn
siebzehn
achtzehn
epilogue

neun

75.2K 2.1K 787
By matemenot

NEUN

They had the decency to knock this time, but they may well not have as no sooner had I heard the sound that they all came filing in. The King led them and for some reason, I doubted he'd been the one to knock.

"Well?" He asked. "Do you have it?"

I looked to the bed. My eyes widened until they probably looked like they were about to fall out of their sockets.

Because, splayed carelessly but clearly purposely over the face of the statue head were my red panties.

I hurriedly stepped in front of it. With my back to it, I hooked my fingers around the lacy material and rolled it up with singlehandedly to fit in my hand.

The King didn't look all that pleased to be kept waiting.

"Of course!" I said, pretending to have forgotten. "It's right here."

I stepped aside. When my legs came together again, I found they were a little sore. Images of me bent over the chest of drawers not far from where I stood with a delicately handsome man eating me out flashed through my mind.

Hopefully there are no mind readers in here.

I screamed in my head, watching to see if anyone flinched. Thankfully, no one did. Just checking, I thought to myself when I realised how juvenile that was.

He made a beeline for the now gold piece, it shining brilliantly in the rising sun. If I could see his face, I was sure his eyes would be shining just as bright.

It lay on my bed, almost obscured by the mattress as with its weight, it sunk into it. I watched as the King gestured to four particularly buff looking men and they stepped forward. They manoeuvred it off the bed and with a groan from one of them, had it in their hands.

They took it out of the door.

The King turned to follow after them.

"Your Majesty?" I called. The heads of the guards turned but he waved for them to go. He stood, waiting. "I was thinking—"

"I'm surprised you got a chance."

"Yes, well," I didn't have much of an answer for him. So, I continued, "I was wondering if my liberties could include the gardens."

He seemed to be thinking, likely about the gold statue they'd just taken out of my room. The one is, supposedly, turned to gold.

"I don't see why not."

Yes, I'd been dragged to my doom from the gardens and really, I should have bad connotations with it, but I couldn't deny that even in the dark, it'd been wonderful. And with my life being so outdoorsy before, I needed somewhere to go to just relax.

He didn't wait for me to say anything else, not that I had much I could say, besides 'let me go, you greedy pig,' but figuring I couldn't escape that one with my head still on my shoulders, I thought best not.

I watched him go, the door closing behind him.

Now alone, I brought my hand out from behind my back. The material was crumpled but there was no mistaking what it was. I cursed inwardly at him. Had I not reacted fast enough, I'd be sporting a blush red enough to match them.

Inside, there was a piece of paper I hadn't noticed before. I unfolded it, reading the neat scrawl.

Looks better on you. — R

I shook my head, chastising myself for finding amusement in having a number of guards and the King see these. With a huff, I shoved them under my pillow, the note included.

Just in time, too, because Isabella came gliding in, a blush coating her cheeks. Through the small opening of the door, I could see a small smile on Jack's face.

"I've come to help you get ready," she told me, clothes draped on her arm.

"For what?" I asked, brow furrowed.

I wasn't the most capable girl in the world but I was sure I could manage getting dressed by myself.

"The King is hosting a garden party," she said, going into the bathroom, where I heard the running of the tap. The scent of lavender wafted through to me. "And you're the main event."

"What?"

"He wants you to—" she waved her hands around. "— turn something to gold. In front of his special guests."

Fuck fuck fuck. "Just wondering," I said as I slipped out of my night dress. "But how many guests will there be?"

"Not that many," she said. "Two or three hundred, give or take."

I swayed on my feet.

This can't be happening.

"When was he going to tell me about this?"

"I did just tell you."

"He's giving me a few hours to prepare to do magic in front of hundreds of people?"

"No, don't be silly," she said, laughing to herself. "He only wants you to perform in front of like twenty people."

Wow, that makes it so much better.

. . .

After god knows how many tries, Isabella finally got me into the tub and cleaned up. I just couldn't move properly, fear rendering me immobile. She was patient enough, but I knew me being difficult must have been grating on her nerves.

In the end, she put me in a beautiful flowing dress. It was white— which probably wasn't the best idea for a garden party with grass being involved but I didn't tell her that— with tiny yellow flowers scattered all over it.

"You and Jack, huh?" I asked, innocently, as she buttoned up my dress.

She seemed to struggle with the button she was on, fingers fumbling over it. "I don't know what you mean."

I turned round to her as she finished doing me up, after several failed attempts.

"I won't tell anyone," I told her. Who could I possibly tell? I wanted to say but fearing I'd sound sadder than this whole situation already was.

Her pale cheeks had a healthy colour to them as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Thank you," she said. "And I just thinks he's nice."

"Nice?"

"Okay," she admitted. "More than nice. Kind and intelligent and hasanicebody."

"I'm sorry. What was that last part?"

"Has a nice body," she said quietly.

I leant closer. "What?"

She was about to repeat herself yet again when she spotted the grin growing on my face. "I am not saying it again."

"Alright, alright," I said, holding my hands up. "I'll stop talking about it, but let me just say you'd make a really cute couple."

She went a flaming red colour. Her hazel eyes looked up at me, hopeful. "Really?"

I nodded.

A knock on my door sounded as I slipped into my shoes, now a few inches taller in the heels.

Jack appeared at the doorway. "The guests are beginning to arrive," he told me. His gaze drifted over to Isabella. I felt like I was intruding on a special, intimate moment.

I didn't have to look at her to know she was probably grinning from ear to ear.

"Ready?" I asked him, pulling his gaze away from my maid.

I didn't know much about the rules of the palace but I supposed a relationship between a maid and a guard was a no go, especially when they were looking after a prisoner. And with what I already knew about the King, I wouldn't want to break that rule either.

He nodded once, maybe not trusting himself to speak.

On the way out the door, I glanced back at Isabella. As expected, she was blushing profusely— looking like she needed to cool down. I tapped my nose twice.

Your secret's safe with me.

Jack and I walked in silence down through the palace and out into the gardens.

I still had no idea what I was going to do for those twenty-odd people. And stepping out into the open air, gazebos already propped up with tables filled to the brim with food inside suddenly made it all the more real.

He helped me down the stairs, me clinging to his arm. I wasn't a pro at wearing heels but I think even Martha would struggle with the narrow steps.

Maybe if I fall and break my neck I won't have to do the show.

I shook my head to myself. The whole point was to not get killed.

The King, I spotted, greeting guests with his signature regal air about him. The guests each bowed or curtseyed in turn as they stepped up to him. He seemed to chat to each like he knew them well, but I noticed a man whispering in his ear just as each approached.

As expected, I found several Masks scattered about the place. They tried to blend in, but that wasn't exactly easy in an open, green space wearing red uniforms.

One stood out to me, for whatever reason.

He was off to the side, sheltered from the sun by a large tree. I may not have paid him any mind but there was something about him that made my eyes rest for a moment longer than the others.

If he felt my gaze, he didn't show it. I was almost glad. I really didn't want to be confronted with a Mask.

There was something about him. Something I could pinpoint.

I squinted, trying to figure it out. It came to me suddenly when I saw the fluidity in which he moved. It was an odd link to make but once I'd made it, I was certain I was right.

This wasn't any random Mask. This was the one that'd taken me to the palace in the first place.

I tried to conjure the same sympathy and forgiveness I'd managed for Jack. But as I stared long and hard at the man, his eyes still not meeting mine— transfixed on the King's next guest coming to greet him— I felt nothing but boiling hot rage.

He could've told the King he simply couldn't find me. He was by himself, I'd had a head start. It was plausible.

But no. He'd had to chase me through a forest of all places, had tackled me to the ground, and had me carted off the palace, knowing full well what would await me. Yes, it was his job. But he couldn't have been older than me. He would hand over an innocent girl to be killed and for what? Brownie points with His Majesty? Give me a fucking break.

I wanted to hurt him. Violent, awful images of me with my hands around his neck flashed through my mind. It was tempting. I realised Jack was still beside me, watching where my eye had drifted.

"That's the King's finest Mask," he told me. "He hasn't worked here long but he's proved himself."

"Proved himself?" I asked, eyebrow raised.

"He always gets the job done," he said, seeming to almost admire the man. "Like when he brought you—" he cut himself off but I, of course, knew where that sentence was heading.

"I'm thirsty," I let out a little too abruptly.

"I'll get you a drink," he said. "The King's told me I'm to give you a bit of space for now on. Be here when I'm back."

I nodded. "Sir, yes, sir." I saluted, mockingly.

I watched his oversized back walking over to one of the tents. Only when he was fully inside did I move.

I walked with purpose, anger powering my strides until I was sure my heel marks would be clearly visible in the pristine grass.

His figure was still behind the same tree, eyes intent on his boss.

I had no idea what I was even going to say to him once I finally got to him.

I'm going to kill you? That'd just get me killed.

You ruined my life. He already knew that.

How does the King's shit smell with your nose so far up his ass? Again, would probably get me killed but it was on the right track.

I went through a few possibilities, finally settling on the trusty old guilt trip.

Does your mother know you murder innocent girls? Because handing me over was pretty much killing me anyway. She must be proud.

I'd finally built up the courage to say just that, the tree getting closer and closer as I stomped towards it. I went round it to where he stood in the shadows only—

He was gone. There was now just an empty space and I must have looked crazy just standing there, staring at nothing.

"What did I say about not moving?" A voice said.

I turned to Jack. "Sorry, I thought you said to wait over here." My eyes wandered to where I had been stood. "Besides it's starting to get busy so I thought you'd be able to see me better here."

He shook his head in disbelief, but begrudgingly accepted my answer when he saw it was, truly, getting a bit more crowded.

"Your lying will get you killed, Eleanor."

Believe me, I wanted to say. I know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 707 28
Warning: This book contains mature content. "Your scent is driving me crazy, mate. You're so ready for me," he said darkly, inhaling deeply, intoxica...
5.8M 259K 82
(Complete) **A MATURE FANTASY** Book #1 in the Elemental Heir Series. Now published and available in PAPERBACK and KINDLE on AMAZON!! 🤍 "Your ready...
191K 5.5K 18
#1 IN SHORT STORY COLLECTION (3/21/20) #1 In DealWithTheDevil #5 in Teenager #7 in Devil (As of 7/04/2018) Every touch on your skin is hot, burning...
1.1K 104 13
Licks of fire engulf me everywhere he touches. His soft lips caress the cove of my neck and I loose the feeling in my legs. Putty... My body molds to...