The Prince's Secret (Prince H...

Af SatyraSpenser

Prince Harry of Wales is engaged to marry a beautiful American actress. He loves her...or so he keeps telling... Mere

Part 1 - Do The Right Thing
Part 2 - "To Harry and Meg!"
Part 3 - The Ring
Part 4 - Falling For You
Part 5 - Don't Overthink It
Part 6 - The Note
Part 7 - "To Sam. And Harry."
Part 8 - Aftermath
Part 9 - An Offer
Part 10 - Chasing My Tail
Part 11 - Another Unknown Number
Part 12 - The Sleeping Lion - Part 1
Part 13 - The Sleeping Lion - Part 2
Part 14 - The Sleeping Lion - Part 3
Part 15 - The Sleeping Lion - Part 4
Part 16 - Thoughts
Part 17 - Spilled Beans
Part 18 - Advice at Anmer Hall - Part 1
Part 19 - Advice at Anmer Hall - Part 2
Part 20 - The Queen's Speech
Part 21 - Prince Philip Has Some Unusual Advice
Part 22 - A Quiet Place
Part 23 - Right For the Job?
Part 24 - Afternoon Delight
Part 25 - "You should be more careful."
Part 26 - New Year's Surprise
Part 27 - Another New Year's Surprise
Part 28 - Just Before Midnight
Part 29 - Her Perfect Life
Part 30 - The Only Thought
Part 31 - Tea with the Queen
Part 32 - In the Polo Yard
Part 33 - Paparazzi
Part 34 - Trouble in Paradise?
Part 35 - Not Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
Part 36 - Taking Flight
Part 37 - A-Hunting We Will Go
Part 38 - Requests and Promises
Part 39 - Warm and Cozy
Part 40 - Horses and Hounds
Part 41 - Tally Ho
Part 42 - Bubbles and Bruises
Part 43 - Things To Think About
Part 44 - Dirty Harry!
Part 45 - Prince Charming
Part 46 - Horsing Around
Part 47 - Second Hand News
Part 48 - Paper Chase
Part 49 - Walls Come Tumbling Down
Part 50 - Cracks
Part 51 - #Cinderella
Part 52 - Make It Happen
Part 53 - Three Important Calls
Part 54 - Rendezvous
Part 55 - Business in London
Part 56 - A Summons from Her Majesty
Part 57 - Someone We Can Trust
Part 58 - A Coat Fit For A Princess
Part 59 - An Ace Up My Sleeve?
Part 60 - Welcome Home
Part 61 - One Departs and One Returns
Part 62 - At the Gala
Part 63 - A Tale of Two Princes
Part 64 - Good News and Bad News
Part 65 - Confrontation
Part 66 - Mark My Words
Part 67 - Tidal Wave
Part 68 - Gonna Take A Lot To Drag Me Away From You
Part 69 - Imprisoned in a Fairy Tale
Part 70 - Sleep Interruptus
Part 71 - Proof Positive--or Negative?
Part 72 - LHR β†’ YVR
Part 73 - Tying the Knot
Part 74 - The Morning After
Part 75 - Directives
Part 76 - Surprised and Tongue-Tied
Part 77 - Showdown
Part 78 - One Way Ticket
Part 79 - Settling In
Part 80 - The Queen, A Duchess, and Tea
Part 81 - The Queen Has A Word...or Two
Part 82 - Sam of Canada
Part 83 - Catherine and The Moonhorse
Part 84 - Conversation in the Kitchen
Part 85 - Headlines
Part 86 - At Windsor Great Park
Part 88 - Official Announcements
Part 89 - Prime Time on the BBC
Part 90 - The Sleeping Lion Redux
Part 91 - The Royal Non-Wedding, Part 1
Part 92 - The Royal Non-Wedding, Part 2
Note from the Author - updated 18 April 2021

Part 87 - Details and a Duchess

5.9K 131 3
Af SatyraSpenser

Samantha

The Queen and I finished our ride with more talk of horses and hounds. We did not return to the stables but instead dismounted close to Windsor Castle and handed the ponies off to Gerry and another groom.

Harry met me as we approached the castle, leaning in for a kiss as the Queen disappeared inside. "How did it go?"

"Okay, I guess. She did ask if I was pregnant."

Harry's eyes widened. "Well, that isn't a topic of conversation I thought she would bring up."

Hand in hand, we walked slowly towards the door. "Why didn't you tell me you would be joining us?"

"I didn't know. I received the summons from my father after you left."

His father. Another high-powered royal I was about to meet for the first time. "Are we in trouble?" I asked, lowering my voice as Harry held the door for me.

He laughed. "No more than usual. Don't worry, they're used to me being in trouble."

I wasn't used to being in trouble, especially not with my new royal in-laws, so this wasn't a very encouraging thought.

Harry squeezed my hand. "Don't worry. It's just tea with the Queen. It'll be okay."

There was, I learned, "tea with the Queen" that was a pleasant social affair with yummy pastries and innocuous small talk, and then there was "tea with the Queen" where the same pastries were an excuse to have a serious conversation. This was the latter.

I curtsied to the Queen when we entered, then realized I shouldn't have, because we'd already seen each other that day, but she graciously ignored my etiquette faux pas. Harry introduced me to his father as "my wife, Samantha," which felt totally strange and sounded kind of cringe-worthy when he spoke the words out loud.

Prince Charles took my hand as I curtsied, and I hoped I was getting better at it under Eugenie's tutelage. He looked older than I expected, with hair that was almost white, but his blue eyes were kind as he greeted me. "I've heard so much about you, Samantha. I'm glad to finally make your acquaintance." He tucked my hand into the crook of his arm, just like in one of those Jane Austen movies, and led me to a couch while Harry walked and chatted with the Queen.

As soon as we were all seated, with Harry and I close together on a sofa and Prince Charles and the Queen in chairs, she asked, "Have you seen this morning's papers?"

I hadn't, but by the looks on all the other faces, they had. "It seems that the news of your marriage is already being nosed about," Prince Charles told me.

"Ohhh," I said. Everyone looked at me, and I felt stupid, so I resolved to keep my comments to myself. Harry gave me a little smile and quirked his eyebrow, so I knew he was amused, at least.

"This does put some urgency in our plans to announce your marriage," the Queen said. "I have discussed the matter with the Privy Council and the Archbishop of Canterbury, as well as my barristers, and all agree that if I give my consent to your marriage—even if it is after the fact—that your marriage would be legal and binding, and would not affect the succession."

I held my breath, and Harry's grip on my hand tightened.

"Although this is not the way I would have liked to celebrate your marriage—and I would have preferred that you two had consulted with me before getting married—at this point I see no reason to postpone the inevitable. Like it or not, you are married, and I am not going to intensify the scandal by trying to force an annulment or having your marriage declared invalid just to prove a point. I will give my consent."

I sucked in a deep breath of relief, suddenly light-headed. Harry's reaction was not so obvious, but I felt some of the tension leave his body.

"I think it is crucial that we take control of the narrative before the rumors get out of hand," the Queen continued. "But before I make any official announcements, we need to decide how the situation will be presented."

By "we" she must have meant she and Prince Charles, because the two carried on without pausing for any input from Harry and I.

"The press must already have some kind of proof of the marriage, so there is no use in our denying it," Prince Charles said. "A straightforward communication, brief and to the point, announcing your approval of their union, would be best."

"And then what?" the Queen demanded. "People expect a wedding. Harry is quite popular with the young people, and a royal wedding is always good publicity for the family."

"I'm sure there would be a bit of a to-do about the cost of a royal wedding if they are already married," Prince Charles argued. "Let them have a ceremony with a blessing from the Archbishop like Camilla and I had if you think we need to mark the occasion with some sort of public ceremony. And the sooner the better."

"Harry? What do you think?" the Queen asked.

Watching the back-and-forth from the sidelines like it was a tennis match, I was surprised to see the ball lobbed to Harry, but he responded quickly. Looking to me for confirmation, he said, "If you would like us to have some sort of ceremony, I'm sure Samantha and I would be happy to oblige. And thank you for your patience and acceptance of our marriage."

"Yes ma'am," I agreed hastily. "But really, we don't need anything elaborate. Something simple is fine with me."

Prince Charles laughed heartily. "I can't remember the last time a royal bride asked for something simple. It's quite refreshing."

"Sam is not your typical royal bride," Harry said, giving me a little grin. "But I agree—something simple and low-key."

"Finding a date for the ceremony on such short notice will be a challenge," the Queen said thoughtfully, "but I will have my private secretary find a date in the next few months that will work for everyone involved. Shall we have the ceremony here, in St. George's Chapel?"

I shot Harry a questioning look. I had no idea what the chapel looked like or what my options were. I vaguely remembered Prince Charles and Lady Diana getting married at St. Paul's Cathedral, but that seemed rather fancy for the simple ceremony I was hoping for.

"The chapel here is very beautiful, and it's a far more private location than Will and Catherine had," Harry told me. "Several of my family have gotten married there. We can walk over later and have a look."

"Will the ceremony be on TV?" I asked suddenly.

"It's usually expected," Prince Charles said. "What would you and Harry prefer?"

I looked at Harry and shrugged. I remembered our quiet, secret wedding in Vancouver, with just the two of us to celebrate the moment, and my stomach began to knot up at the thought of TV cameras focused on our every move, detailing every thread of our outfits, deciphering every look between us.

"We don't have to decide that right now," Harry said, nudging his knee closer to mine and rubbing my hand with his thumb. "Give us some time to discuss it."

"Yes, of course," the Queen said. "That can be announced later."

"Thank you," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"It is a bit much to deal with all at once," she said. "These things take time. However, I would like to discuss two important details before we part—your titles and where you will live."

I didn't care what my title would be, and I was happy at Nott Cott, but I waited to see what the Queen's pronouncement was.

"As is customary, I will be granting you a dukedom, Harry, which I will announce along with your marriage. You will be given the title of Duke of Sussex and Samantha, you will become the first Duchess of Sussex. And as I am sure you will be wanting to look for a larger home, I thought you might be interested to know that the lease on Barnwell Manor is coming up soon, and it could be granted to you as well. It's somewhat remote, but it's a nice large property."

Harry smiled. "You are very generous, Granny, and your thoughtfulness is appreciated. You've given Sam and I a lot to talk about."

"Yes, perhaps we should let them go. Samantha looks quite overwhelmed by all of this," Prince Charles said kindly. "Take her for a walk or to the stables to see that lovely gray mare Camilla was telling me about."

Prince Charles was right. I was past the point of overwhelmed and my hands were shaking. There were several more minutes of extended thanks and goodbyes, and then Harry and I were outside, the bulk of Windsor Castle disappearing behind us as we walked.

"I think we'll come back another time to look at the chapel," he said, stopping to pull me into a hug. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Better now," I said with a weak laugh. "Sorry about that."

"No need to apologize."

We walked on a bit more through the dappled shade. "Are you happy with the outcome?" I asked at length.

"Yes. I am very happy being married to you," he said, "but being in Granny's good graces will make life much, much easier for all of us. Although I'm not sure we'll want to move to Barnwell—it is very remote, as Granny says. Plenty of acreage for horses though. Did I mention it still has the ruin of an old castle on the grounds? Place is probably filthy with ghosts."

I laughed. "Sounds perfect. I can hardly wait to see it."

Barnwell Manor

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

808K 18.3K 35
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined to defy the conventional expectations o...
38.8K 938 18
Settling for a lonely life, Sibylla never thought she would overcome her fears of letting another man into her heart. Until she met him. Started | M...
85.2K 2K 20
If you build the guts to do something, anything, then you better save enough to face the consequences. In which [Princess] Anastasija Gemma of Bhutan...
4.4M 154K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...