This Is The Last Time (HTTYD)

By GeneralSweet17

*Undergoing Rewrite* *Not the cliche storyline* The threat of war looms over Hiccup's shoulders as he tries t... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen : The Stain of Ashes
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen - Peace

Chapter Four

210 4 0
By GeneralSweet17

"You're late." Mala tsked her tongue at Heather, who's head broke the glossy water to emerge into the lagoon. The four women were now in a cave that had a lagoon of water in the center, and a beautiful arrangement of rocks to circle it. Above through cracks in the rocks, the moonlight shone like diamonds were floating above their heads.

"I'm sorry Athena, but I had to throw the Twins off a few islands away, then swim back here." Heather apologized, pulling herself up slightly, to rest her tail on the rocks. Astrid was already out of the water and standing a safe distance from it, while despite all of Mala's attempts to get her out, Niki refused to leave the lagoon.

"But the water is so wonderful!" she said, floating onto her back and pushing her tail slowly in the water, so that she peacefully glided along the surface, staring up at the diamonds in the sky.

"And we have Queen Helena's birthday tomorrow. The Wing Maidens are already prepared to perform the preparatory ceremonies." Mala snapped, growing impatient with Niki's carefree attitude.

"Why do we bother? They are all dead anyways."

Mala shut her eyes tightly, pinched the bridge of her nose, and sighed loudly. "We go over this every year. It is a tradition that gives hope and comfort to our-"

"Your."

"My people." Mala opened one eye to glare at Niki. "The Elemental Queens have been doing this tradition for longer than you've even been alive."

"That's...not longer than anyone else." Niki reminded her. "I'm only thirty one. Why, just cause I'm an elf you assume I-" she made air quotations with her long and slender fingers. "Age faster because I'm an elf?"

"Wouldn't that be aging slower?" Heather corrected.

"Humans age slow. Like my brother for instance."

"Are you now making fun of my husband?"

"I'm his sister, it's my birthright to make fun of him." Niki waved aside Astrid's comment.

"All of you stop arguing and go." Mala snapped, throwing her arm out so that her pointer finger was facing the tunneled exit.

With one of them grumbling, the three women climbed out of their positions of rest, and walked through the tunnel. Outside a gathering of Wing Maidens were awaiting them and linked arms with each, leading them towards the huts that had been prepared for them.

*

Dagur had joyfully fulfilled the task that Hiccup had sent him, which was to arise Fishlegs and Snotlout right as the sun tipped the edge of the horizon, and drag their sleepy behinds into the arena.

"Why are we up so early?" Snotlout complained, slouching against the worn walls. "I thought this super deadly and awesome viking thing was going to be-" he let out a loud yawn, stretching his mouth as big as a tiger would. "-later."

"Today's the festival of Queen Helena's birthday." Dagur tossed a knife he was sharpening, over his shoulder and into the bucket of other deadly accessories.

"Who?"

Fishlegs gave an ooh and excitedly jabbed his pointer fingers high into the air, while prancing on his tipitoes. "Isn't she the person, according to your legends, that gave the four elemental queens their powers?"

"Abilities." Hiccup's voice corrected as he walked into the arena with Toothless by his side. "Not that it really matters or that there is a big difference, but to Mala and Niki, it does." he shrugged, messing with his hair. "And its' not a legend."

"Well..." Fishlegs hesitated, but was quickly cut off by both Hiccup, Dagur, and even Toothless gave a little growl.

"It's real."

"Okay whatever." Snotlout shoved Fishlegs, making a point to him to not say anything that would object the others' beliefs. "Let's get to the exciting stuff."

"Gladly." Hiccup's mood seemed to perk up exponentially. He ran across the arena to large doors, and threw them open. Instead of being met with cages of the arena's next victims, the Berkians' eyes were met with a maze of dragons settling within stables. Hiccup placed two fingers into his mouth, giving a high pitched whistle, that suddenly dropped to a low note. A few moments later, in the midst of all the other dragons flying around, a muddied bronze colored Gronkle landed beside him.

Dagur then stomped his foot and gave two short yells, then ended the call with a long and loud war cry.

A magnificently scarlett colored Monstrous Nightmare was what greeted them.

With a proud smile, Hiccup turned around and grandly gestured to the two dragons. "Welcome to Dragon Training!"

The next few hours went as Hiccup had expected them to. Fishlegs was too scared to touch the Gronkle, even though it was truly the sweetest dragon that Hiccup had ever laid eyes on. Snotlout on the other hand, had as much of a stubborn pride as the Monstrous Nightmare did.

Slowly however, he finally got both the Berkians, and dragons to learn to tolerate each other, and by the time the villagers were preparing the last minute preparations for the festival, they had managed to feed and bathe the dragons.

Snotlout was accidentally included in that bath.

"I must say, I am surprised and indeed impressed by the amount of progress you've made this morning." Viggo walked into the arena, his hands folded neatly behind his back. His black leather and red tunics were switched with a single white tunic and a golden belt around his waist.

"We're...getting there." Hiccup shrugged. "But they'll be able to fly in no time." Viggo nodded approvingly.

"Um Hiccup, question." Fishlegs walked around the Gronkle, who was laying on her back, soaking in the morning sun. "Where are Ruffnut and Tuffnut?"

"Yeah!" Snotlout agreed. "Why didn't they have to get up all early?"

"Well, that's an easy question. Have you met the Twins?" Dagur said behind his hand. "I mean, you two are clearly more capable than they are to train and ride dragons!"

Snotlout glared at Dagur, then looked at Hiccup and Viggo, who both put on fake, but convincing smiles. "Yeah I guess that makes sense. I mean, who would trust those idiots to ride, these." he smirked, more at himself then the idea of riding a Monstrous Nightmare. "Only the bravest of vikings have ever done this."

"Hiccup, can I teach them how to Dragon Race?" Dagur excitedly asked. Images of Snotlout failing miserably at the sports ran through his mind.

Hiccup shook his head and twirled his finger around. "Let's make sure they can fly in formation before we start sporting."

"Formation flying already?" Everyone was taken off guard by the higher voice. When they turned around, they were met with Astrid in a bright scarlet dress. It was two pieces, the loose, one shouldered tunic was tied into a knot just above her rib cage. Leather was braided at the waist, and three solid patches of leather created a geometric pattern on the skirt. Decorating her arms, and bare feet, were bracelets of gold. Her hair was once again its bright crimson color, and was french braided six times, before being pulled into a high ponytail. "If you can get Fishlegs to sit on the dragon before the end of the week, I'd be impressed."

Hiccup was blushing, so Viggo took the liberty of speaking for him. "Ah, the Wingmaidens have outdone themselves this year."

"Eh, looks the same to me." Astrid shrugged. "Still glad I'm not Heather. Poor girl has to wear a corset." When all the guys seemed to choke on their words, not knowing how to respond to the last comment, she snapped, "Oh grow up!"

A few of them cleared their throats and awkwardly tugged at some article of clothing. "Where are the others?" Viggo finally broke the awkward silence.

"Well Niki's already at the festival." she answered, then looked behind her. "Heather and Mala were supposed to be following me, but I guess I lost them in the race back here."

"Sounds reasonable." he chuckled. "Perhaps Hiccup, you would like to get ready as well?"

Hiccup quickly looked down at his worn leather attire. "Oh, right. Um, Fishleges, Snotlout, we're done for the day. I'll help you put the dragons away, then Viggo can show you around the festival."

"We get to attend the festival?" Fishlegs curled into his ball of excitement.

"Naturally." Viggo nodded. "How else will you learn of our culture if you do not attend the festival that displays our core beliefs?" Fishlegs let out his squeal of excitement, which roused his dragon, and made his squeals turn into screams.

* * * * * *

An unpleasant shiver trembled through Ingrid's teeth as a metal plate scraped against the ground, over a small jagged rock.

"Eat." the guard ordered at the men. Stoick and Henrik would've been idiots to refuse the food after sitting in a cell for a day without any meal. Ingrid however remained in her corner, leaning against bars of rust that was slowly peeling away the layers of metal, watching a spider spin its intricate web.

"Ingrid, have some food." Henrik offered, holding up half of the bread, and gesturing to the other foods.

"I'm not hungry." she merely dismissed the thought, but her eyes met with the guard's, passing inaudible words between them. She turned her head to look at the men, who were now missing their mouths as they tried to stuff their stomachs. Henrik's head started to turn in a circle, and soon his body was following his circular motion, while smudging mashed potatoes on his cheeks. Stoick was holding his hands out in front of him, and was loudly counting how many fingers he had, always skipping or repeating numbers. In their confusion, she looked back at the guard, who leaned close to the bars, slipping a key through.

"Your mission is still on. You must grab both the boy and his child, leave the queens. Get as much information about them, especially the Rogue Moon, and bring the cargo to Berk. Then get to Monrides and Xedous at all costs. Disposing of any-" he subtly looked back at the two men. "Extra weight."

"Understood. They can be assured the mission will not fail."

The guard nodded. "The Masters send their regards for your accommodations. The poison will wear off in a few minutes."

"Perfect." Ingrid sighed, taking a small vial which she wore around her neck and poured the powder into her hand. "Your job is done."

The guard realized a second too late what the substance in her hand was. She raised her palm up to his face and blew on the powder. They stumbled backwards, clutching their throat as the powder landed and swelled their face.

Ingrid waited until the guard had collapsed, to stand up and kick the men's food away. "Get up, we're leaving." she ordered, and unlocked the cell door.

* * * * * *

The festival was being held in the village center, and the Great Hall. Most of the crowds were flocking into the Great Hall, to grab the best seats, while few others stayed behind to finish the final touches to the flower arrangements, or the ceremonies of dancing and rituals.

Every Defender was dressed in the traditional festival clothing. No armor was worn, or at least shown. They were all wearing white tunics and dresses, accented by gold weavings of belts, or lining of the colors. Some weaved little flowers into their hair, and little girls wore braided crowns. A few teens had even painted their feet in elegant patterns of gold.

Before they made their way to the Great Hall, Viggo indulged in getting some festive tunics for both Fishlegs and Snotlout to wear. Though Snotlout refused to wear it, Fishlegs immediately threw his leather out, and soon looked to be a Defender himself.

"So what's happening now?" he asked Viggo as they arrived at the village center.

"First we will watch a play, reenacting the Legend of Queen Helena. You will find that to be most fascinating, I'm sure. Afterwards the queens will perform a ceremony upon her throne, where they will show their growth in their abilities. Then there will be a feast, dancing, and well...two particular warriors tend to put on a brawl at some point for all to witness. Snotlout, I'm sure you'll enjoy it."

Snotlout didn't scowl at it, he was too busy looking around at everything that was happening.

"So what do the clothes symbolize?"

"The white symbolizes new birth and hope. The simplicity of the tunics symbolize humility. We owe a great deal to Queen Helena, therefore we must not take pride in it."

Fishlegs sighed. "This is all so beautiful. And to think it's all about magic!"

Viggo smiled a little. "Yes, the proper use of magic is beyond beauty. Don't mix it up with Dark Magic, which is twisting magic. It can corrupt a soul, which is why humans fear it. They never notice true blissful magic, they only notice Dark Magic. Therefore their natural instinct is to get rid of it, and anyone who does magic."

"I guess, it makes sense."

"Indeed." he agreed, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Today however we celebrate the good. In magic and in people."

The Great Hall was filled with all the people from the village. Children chased each other by jumping over the few empty benches in the back, while adults conversed and joyfully laughed near the front. At the very front of the hall, the table where Queen Mala would normally sit, was cleared and an empty stage with parchment glued together, created the backdrop.

Dagur and Mala were sitting in the front and center bench, with Hiccup, Throk, and Eret. Leerir and Zephyr were playing with the other children in the back of the hall.

"Viggo, at last you're here." Eret welcomed his roommate.

"Yes, I was just showing our guests around."

"Hiccup was just telling me about this morning." Mala nodded. "I'm impressed with your progress. The blacksmith too, he can craft quite a masterpiece. Knows how to bargain for good prices as well."

Hiccup smiled at the memories the compliment brought up. "Gober, yeah I was his apprentice."

"Explains your skill in this." Eret tapped Hiccup's metal leg.

"Wait!" Snotlout shoved Dagur aside. "You have a metal leg!"

"Observant as always." Hiccup monotoned. "Yeah, I was fighting with Viggo and the Dragon Hunters a few years back. Got in a little accident. We're all good now."

"Sorry about that." Viggo apologized, but Hiccup shrugged.

"My wife has given both of us a hard enough time."

"Still might not be enough." Astrid, sat down beside Hiccup, and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. Beside her, Heather also sat down.

Suddenly a very high pitched, but familiar scream came over the Great Hall, and caught everyone's attention to the stage. Up on the stage, waving their arms around and calling everyone to their attention, was non other than Ruffnut and Tuffnut. Who were both dressed in the traditional clothing as well.

"Now that we have your attention." Tuffnut began, folding his hands behind his back, which to everyone who knew him personally, seemed like an odd gesture and that nothing good could come from it. "We are humbled to announce the beginning of this year's Queen Helena Festival."

Ruffnut then stepped forward. "I know you all are very excited to celebrate tonight, with a good yak and refreshments. But first we have some announcements." she pulled out a scroll from her belt. "First we wanna say Happy Birthday to Smitvarg-"

"-That dragon right there." Tuffnut pointed out a Night Terror that was perched on one of the logs to the fireplace. "He's an awesome dragon, my favorite personally."

"And...Chicken."

Tuffnut revealed a squawking chicken from behind his back, and placed it like a crown, on top of his head. "You've been a great pet, my dear friend."

Ruffnut rolled her eyes at her brother, but nonetheless carried on. "Oh, and H-hhrr-Hroar, hope I said that right, yeah you there in the back! Means Famous Spear, by the way, also has a birthday."

"Coming up on big number forty." Tuffnut cheered. "Congrats, that's an impressive age. A sign that your golden years are over."

"We'd also like to introduce a new baker, Meridian. Lovely name, you know that's my middle name."

"She cooks some amazing yak people!"

"So stop by the bakery for a free sample! Also Tuesday is 'no S' day, so remember that we aren't allowed to say the letter 's'. It's forbidden." Ruffnut added. "And finally we'd like to make the presence of our prestigious guests from Berk known. Mr. Fishlegs Ingerman, Snotlout Jorgenson, and the good old friendly, Gober. Make sure to give them a friendly Defender welcoming when you see them. You know, the old fashioned whack on the head is appropriate." a few in the crowd chuckled.

"And with that, we present me, the narrator!" Tuffnut bowed. "And the rest of our lovely, accomplished, and award winning actors and actresses, in performing the Legend of Queen Helena."

The crowd cheered as Tuffnut took the center of the stage, and Ruffnut ran behind the parchment. A few children ran up to sit in front of the rulers, in order to be more engaged and see every detail of the performance. Those near the walls blew out the candles, and the hall was submerged into darkness, until candles behind the parchment were lit.

"Our story begins in the deep ocean blue, where even light from the sun never shined. Down here however, laid a large kingdom, that was inhabited by mermaids."

Snotlout snorted. "Why are we watching this?" Everyone around him however, shushed loudly.

"They were ruled by a just and fair queen, Queen Helena." Tuffnut continued. "Years ago, she was gifted with the power of magic from the Father Dracones, the only dragon that existed. She had the ability to control all the elements, and create anything she desired. With her abilities, she led her kingdom to wealth and prosperity, looking out for the poor and helpless." he stopped speaking for a little while, and left the center of the stage, while a beautiful dancer made her way to the center of the stage. Behind the parchment, different colors of light swarmed her, as she spun around and let her long skirt twirl.

"She gave birth to five daughters, and when her time came to pass onto Valhalla, she gifted them each with a power of their own. Ling, the eldest-" Much to the Berkians' surprise, Niki appeared from behind the parchment, wearing a navy blue dress covered in sparkles. Her back was bare, only with strings of diamonds covering it. And her hair was only put halfway up, with a single strand of hair braided and let loose from the rest, which faded into a navy blue as well. She danced with skill and grace, despite the difficult movements, having been obviously taught sometime in her youth. "Received the gift of water."

Niki pulled water out of 'Queen Helena's' hand, and formed a diadem, froze it, then placed it onto her head.

"The second eldest, Serafina-" an actress with a red wig on, danced onto the stage, but no one could match Niki's performance. She was holding a dry branch, and from underneath Hiccup's hand, Astrid snapped her fingers and the branch sparked. "Received fire to match her fiery spirit."

"Ava, the healer of the kingdom-" Tuffnut paused for the next actress to dance towards 'Queen Helena'. She was holding a pot full of seeds, which Heather burst open and allowed lucious leaves and beautiful lilies to sprout.

"The youngest, Becca, was a prankster at heart." Tuffnut proudly smiled. "Received the gift of air." Snotlout and Fishlegs blinked several times, as Ruffnut appeared holding two doves.

"Be free!" she yelled as she threw one of them out of her arms, but kept the other tucked in her elbow.

"And finally, with all the elements taken by her fellow sisters, Athena was gifted with the ability to shapeshift into any creature she desired." This time, no actress danced on the stage. Instead a grand wolf, with grey fur, walked on, and proudly sat in front of the other actresses. "She was given the responsibility of training the sisters to use their powers, and to protect them at all costs. Thus she was granted the name, The Protector."

The 'Queen Helena' left the stage, and the sisters took the center, as black hooded extras circled around them. They all fought in slow motion, while Tuffnut hastily narrated. "Years passed, and the daughters were now in charge of running the kingdom. However rumors started to spread of a world above theirs. A world where Father Dracones and more magic lived. Despite the warnings of slow painful deaths from the dangerous creatures outside their walls, several dared to find Father Dracones. But they were killed before they could reach the surface."

Then, the stage suddenly flooded with black hooded people.

"One day, a strange, new, and powerful force invaded the kingdom. They wanted the powers for themselves. Even with their powers, the Elemental Queens were not powerful enough to fight them. So to save their people, they transformed them into dragons, so they could fly to the surface."

Terrible Terrors flew everywhere, and the black hooded extras fled the stage.

"Despite the threat being gone, the Queens realized they were more safe on land, so they swam for many moons until reaching the land. There, they transformed their tails into legs." The actresses, besides Niki, shedded their long flowy skirts, revealing leggings underneath.

"Each of the Queens then created their own race of Elves. The Rogue Moons." Niki ran a few steps and performed a complicated twirl in mid air, showing off her tribal markings which rested on her cheeks, arms, and legs. Then she danced to the back, behind the parchment.

"The Reckless Suns." the 'Queen Serafina' gave a bow then left.

"The Careless Breaths." Ruffnut saluted the crowd and threw the last dove off to fly.

"And the Evergreen Maidens." 'Queen Ava' gave a low curtsy, that made some of the more senior in the audience wince.

"Queen Athena however, decided not to create an elven species. Instead she created the werewolf pack, The Defenders of the Wing." Those who were of age, and had taken their vows to the pack, stood proudly at attention. "The Defenders of the Wing, not only swear their lives to protecting the Elemental Queens, and fighting alongside the Protector, they also protect their people, the dragons." The Defenders gave several war cries, throwing their fists in the air, and cupping their mouths to make their chants louder. After a few moments, Mala raised her hand with a smile on her face, and silenced them.

When the wolf gave a bark, then walked behind the parchment, Tuffnut ran to the center and (after catching Chicken, who fell off his head), cried out, "And that my fellow people! Is the legend of Queen Helena!"

Words: 3855

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.7K 792 11
Hiccup has been betrayed by Astrid and banished and disowned by his father Stoick the vast. Hiccup leaves and vows that he would free all the drago...
381 35 16
.·:*¨¨* 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚐𝚘, 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚕𝚏 𝚘𝚏 𝚖𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚠 *¨¨*:·. Berk. The village that has the bravest and strongest Vikings that you'd ever se...
25.2K 634 18
"Goodbye, Berk." "Goodbye, Hiccup." A girl who loves dragons, betrayed by her best friend, had to ran away from her dragon-killing tribe. Years late...
32.3K 661 15
READ REWRITTEN VERSION HERE: https://www.wattpad.com/542650899-goodbye-berk-~-rewritten-goodbye-berk Hiccup is chosen to kill the nightmare. No surpr...