Priestess of The Moon

By flowersforleah

Li Xiang is the Priestess of the Moon, she can see read the stars and fortune as well as misfortune to her pe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 4

8.2K 721 107
By flowersforleah

After Lady Zhu Hua left I was ready to change out of my formal attire, and also take a break. I had never had a guest fluster me so—besides Rui, of course, if he counted. In fact, he was partly the reason why the meeting was so uncomfortable.

"You really are a beauty..."

What exactly was Rui telling Lady Zhu Hua? And he could've told me the warrior was a woman and saved me from being embarrassed, although I suppose it was my fault for assuming.

After Mei changed me back into my more casual robe, and let down parts of my hair, she left the room and I was all to myself again. Only this time I was aware there would be visitors and was not surprised anymore when I heard voices outside my room.

"Is that you, Rui?" I asked after I had opened the door a little. Merely opening the door without permission made me nervous, but I was able to do it, at least. Two weeks ago I would've thought I wouldn't be able to do so.

"Yes. With Zhu Hua and Yang Jun."

"And is Yang Jun a woman too?" I asked sarcastically. I heard him chuckle on the other side of the door.

"Scold me later, Lady Li Xiang, but let us in first."

I opened the door and let them in.

Rui and Zhu Hua entered, and following them was a tall man with long hair, in grey and blue robes.

I wondered how they managed to enter so brazenly, and also what excuses they invented to enter this hall, or if they simply snuck in.

"Good evening, Priestess of the Moon," the man I didn't meet yet, said. "I apologize for bothering your rest and entering your bedchamber at this time. To meet you is a pleasure."

He seemed polite and I was bewildered at the formal greeting.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too. Please don't apologize, I'm glad that at least one of you has manners."

Rui laughed again. "I told you she's witty, isn't she?"

"Well, she has her adorable sides too," Lady Zhu Hua said. "Like when you thought I was a man, right?" She grinned. I blushed again at the memory.

"Yes, I am sorry for the misunderstanding, Lady Zhu Hua."

"Don't worry, you're not the first. And call me Zhu Hua, I hate being called 'Lady'."

"Yes, Zhu Hua. Please do call me by my name, too," I said.

"May I call you by your name too, then?" Rui asked. I hesitated before I nodded.

"Of course." I doubted he had to ask for my permission. He seemed like the type to do whatever he wished.

I turned to the other man, who had closed the door and bowed to me. When he raised his head, I saw that he, had delicate features. His eyes were like that of a phoenix's, curved at the ends, and his nose straight and long, cheekbones chiseled and high.

In contrast, Rui looked ragged and much more masculine despite his slender build.

"I am Yang Jun, a scholar and art appraiser, please do call me Yang Jun," he introduced himself. "May I know what to call you?"

"My name is Li Xiang." I said. "Rui told me you were the youngest person to pass the imperial tests, is that true?"

"Yes," he responded, but a bit softer than before. "However, I do not wish to be a governor. I want to study poetry and art."

"That's wonderful!" I said. He looked surprised.

"You really think so?" he asked, solemnly.

"Yes. Why wouldn't I?"

"Because it won't get him a job," Zhu Hua said curtly, hopping up and then sitting on my table. I was shocked, but couldn't find it in me to tell her to sit on the chairs. Rui, on the other hand, has slipped into a chair so only Yang Jun and I were standing.

"Yes, that's true," he said morosely. "I currently work at the Imperial Archives where all the books in the palace are kept."

My eyes widened.

"The Imperial Archives! I adore the place. I'm allowed to go there once a month to choose some books to read, or otherwise I would have nothing to do here."

"That's a very good way of spending your time. What books do you read?"

"Everything, I've read the all the travelogues, but in particular I love the ones about the West, and I read poems too. I like the poems by—"

"Let's not talk about books." We all turned to Rui, who had suddenly cut in. "I want to talk too."

"Do you not read?" I asked.

"I do." He looked away, brows pressed together. "Books are good, but in the end, they are nothing but second-hand accounts. Reading can't compare to experiencing the things themselves." I tightened my jaw at his scoffing.

What he said was true, but it could only apply to people who had the luxury to experience certain things like going outside. There were people in the world who could only rely on books.

People who were lame and didn't how how it felt to walk and run, people who were sick and couldn't see the outside, and people like me.

"Then do you have something you want to talk about?" I asked, my voice hard.

"Yes." His eyes lit up like a child's the moment I said that. "Our promise." I stiffened at the reminder.

"Don't tell me that you expect me to go outside!"

"Yes, I will! You have to go outside now that I've proved to you I have a friend who is a top warrior and another who is a fine but unmotivated scholar."

"That's not a nice thing to say," I said.

"But true," Zhu Hua said with a smirk. She took some sunflower seeds and apricots from the plate on my table and began to eat without asking for my permission. I didn't feel like it was my room anymore.

"Anyways, with Zhu Hua and my protection you can't refuse going outside anymore," Rui declared.

I sighed and sat down at a chair. I pondered over it before finally whispering,

"If I'm caught, you know you will be—"

"We are all important members of society. We won't be punished."

"Even you?"

Rui turned quiet. "They won't bother with me. I'm not important enough and I have no power."

I stood there, trying to find another excuse.

"I just can't find it in me to go," I whispered. "I have a duty to fulfill."

"A day won't hurt," Zhu Hua said. "Why are you so intent on being obedient? His Majesty is a tyrant for locking you up." I gasped.

"You can't say that!"

"However, I agree it's not right," Yang Jun said. "The outside world is worth experiencing if you truly love literature about the outside world."

I bit my lips. When they all began to side with Rui, it became hard for me to refuse.

"Fine, I have an idea." Rui turned to me and there was his trademark cocky look again. "Do you consider yourself good in games, Li Xiang?"

"Games?" I frowned at the sudden question.

"Like Xiangqi or Go?"

I understood his intentions. I thought about the two. I used to play with my maidservants once in a while, and I was pretty good. I wasn't sure if I still remembered exactly how the chess pieces moved on the board in Xiangqi but I still remembered Go, which was played with black and white pebbles. And if I had to say, I liked Go better.

"Fine. I don't mind having you challenge me in Go," I said.

"And I suppose you know the terms already?" Rui asked.

"I'll go outside if I lose, and you'll let me stay inside if I win," I stated.

"Yes."

"I've never seen Rui so passionate," Yang Jun said with a gentle smile. "Let me warn you though, Lady Li Xiang, Rui is scary when he is serious."

"Which happens once in a blue moon," Zhu Hua added.

"And this time I'll really win and bring you outside," Rui said.

"Why are you so determined anyway?" I asked.

"It's a surprise."

It seemed as if Rui wanted to keep everything a secret from me. Something about it upset me. But who was I to complain? I was only a temporary toy. I didn't even know why I minded so much although I knew.

"I want to change the terms," I suddenly said. They all looked at me.

"Which part?"

"I want to change it so that if I win, you may never bother me again." I looked at Rui. "I don't know what you are plotting, and I won't lie and say I have no interest in the outside world, or that I dislike you, but I am the Priestess of the Moon. My relationships must be kept to a minimum, so if I win, I want to cut off all ties with you guys and never see you again."

"What?" Zhu Hua finally stood up from her spot on my table, a bitten apricot still in her fingers. "Why?"

"I'm not doing this to be cruel," I whispered. "It's the job and the life of a Priestess. I cannot endanger Tang Kingdom. I'm sorry."

Rui's eyes were stormy, but not from anger. It felt as though he couldn't even see me, even though he was looking directly at me.

"Rui?" Yang Jun called his name. "Are you fine?"

"I'm perfectly fine," he responded. "And I understand, Li Xiang."

My heart sank at how easily he accepted it.

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet." He walked to me and then leaned into my face. "Thank me after I win. After I win for me—and for the part of you that you are locking up and hiding up."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

369 77 10
There lived a girl in the quarters of the imperial palace. Her origins unknown. She wasn't of much importance except for her scholarly knowledge. Wha...
149 26 14
Waking up in a different body was just the beginning. Dr. Baiyu Tang didn't expect to die, but Xiang Bai sought it. Somehow, their soul's crossed...
80 26 6
"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." A spirit hunter is exactly that, those who fight to protect humanity from the threat of r...
22.5K 2.1K 123
Qi Bai Cao, the "Queen Of Yuan Wu Dao" trying to hide her sadness and pain from her friends. She got what she wanted but still, she was sad because s...