Fixing Indie❧Hemmings

By polarizemydoubt

❝When I tell you that you're beautiful, I don't just mean your appearance. I mean all of you; who and what yo... More

Fixing Indie:Hemmings
Prologue
0.1
0.2
0.3
0.5
0.6
Playlist
0.7
0.8
0.9
1.0
1.1
Future of Fixing Indie {aka Rolling Stones article]
BTS/GOT7 + Fixing Indie? + Kpop stories?

0.4

1.5K 65 28
By polarizemydoubt

        Indie placed her backpack in a kitchen chair and placed her keys on the table.She walked over to the kitchen fridge and pulled out a Lipton Ice Tea.Closing the fridge, she began upstairs to her bedroom. She stretched before kicking off her converse. Pulling her hair into a ponytail, Indie took a couple swigs of her tea.

"Wren." Indie called, as she exited her room

Wren barked in response immediately and Indie heard her paws against the wooden floor. The dog met Indie at the steps. Indie leaned down and scratched the golden retriever's head.

"Hey girl." Indie cooed,"Did you miss me?"

The dog didn't answer, just stood there wagging its tail to the comforting sensation of Indie scratching her head. 

"Come on," Indie began down the steps again,"Let's go get the mail."

Indie grabbed the keys from the living room and stepped outside, with Wren at her heels. Indie's socked feet padded across the sidewalk to her mailbox. She opened the door, scanning to see if the mailman had brought them anything today.Grabbing the mail, Indie turned to see one of her neighbors with a group of her friends. The group of girls all appeared to be enjoying their current conversation, laughing as they walked to one of the girl's car. Indie felt waves of envy wash over her body. She watched as they all got into one of the girl's car and drove away.

You could be doing stuff like that with your friends. the voice in her head whispered to her. You know if you looked a little more like that.

Indie swallowed, tucking the mail under her arm. She called Wren's name and walked into the house. She put the mail on a table in the living room along with the keys. After fixing Wren a bowl of dog food, Indie retreated back upstairs. It was then that it dawned on her just how empty her house was.

She was all alone. And while most times she would rejoice at the opportunity to have the house to herself (having a little sister could do that to you), this time it was releasing the opposite effect.The emptiness wasn't what she wanted anymore.

Too bad there isn't anyone that really wants to hang out with you. the cruel voice inside her head taunted

Indie sat down on her carpeted floor. She pulled her knees up to her chest and propped her head against her bed. Memories from this morning began to play over in her mind like film credits.It might had happened a couple hours ago, but Indie could hear their insults like it was happening all over again.

Her hips are as wide as the Pacific Ocean....

Indie felt her eyes began to water as if someone had thrown salt in them. Biting her bottom lip,she felt her throat begin to feel heavy as she struggled to keep from crying. She stopped resisting,  warm tears rolling down her cheek.

She wished she had a mother to talk this out with. Or a father that would at least try to understand where she was coming from. But for some reason, Indie had neither one. Indie didn't want someone to solve her issues for her.She wanted someone to listen as she explained what her issues were.To try to understand them. To try and understand her

Yeah, because someone actually cares that much about you, her subconscious pointed out

Indie sniffled as Wren ran in her room and immediately nestled by her side. Indie gave a watery smile, placing her head on top of Wren's. The dog nuzzled Indie's shoulder. 

"You'll always be there for me,right?" Indie said aloud,picking her head up

Wren barked and stopped nuzzling, settling for licking her face. Indie leaned back but the smile was still on her face. Wren had that effect on people. 

Indie heard a door opening and footsteps downstairs.Aunt Charlotte and Camila. Indie quickly got to her feet. Wren ran downstairs to jump at Camila's heels. Indie heard Camila's joyful screams at the dog as she quickly walked to her bathroom.

"Indie,we're home." her aunt called from downstairs

Indie grabbed a kleenex and tried to silently blow her nose. She didn't expect them to come home as soon as they did. If her aunt saw her face, she'd instantly she know Indie had been crying. That would lead to Indie being pressured into talking about her problems. And while part of her desperately yearned to do so, she couldn't imagine the burden of unloading all of her issues on one person.Especially not one that does literally everything for her. 

"Indie..?" a female voice said, as footsteps were heard coming up the stairs

"I'm in the bathroom." Indie called out, letting some hair fall in her face

There was silence for a couple of moments. Indie bit her bottom lip, awaiting to hear what her aunt had to say next. 

"Okay, " she answered,"Just come downstairs,when you're done."

Indie let out a silent breath of relief. "Alright, I will."

Once the redness had began to fade out in Indie's eyes, she grabbed a damp cloth and wiped her face.She released a breath, inspecting herself in the mirror.

"This should be good." she murmured to herself, tucking a curly lock behind her ear

Indie walked out of the bathroom and down the winded staircase. She approached Camila watching television in the living room with Camila and her Aunt Charlotte in the kitchen. Indie walked in to see her aunt was on the phone with someone.

Aunt Charlotte paused, listening as someone talked back to her on the phone. "Yeah and um, throw in the white chocolate raspberry cheesecake. Alright, thank you."

Indie walked over to the fridge, her back turned,as Aunt Charlotte ended her phone call. The young woman looked at Indie, as she placed her Iphone down.

"So how was school?"  

"Fine." Indie didn't even hesitate to answer. The lie simply rolled off her tongue like rain rolls off an umbrella.

"Just another regular school day huh." 

Something about that question made Indie pause this time.She cast her eyes on the ground.

"Yeah," she murmured,"Just another regular school day."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke entered the school building the next morning, Calum right behind him. He stopped and warily eyed the crowds of students in the hallway. He didn't think he would ever get over the size of this school.

"Second day of school." Calum gave him a slap on the back,"Excited?"

"It's school." Luke retorted,"How excited am I supposed to get?"

"Fair enough." Calum answered with a nod as they began walking again

Luke, still getting used to where to go, tried to keep up with Calum. It was a bit of a hassle, considering he had to try to get through the crowd of high school students. To his luck, he managed not to bump into anyone. 

"So I never got to ask you," Calum and Luke were back to walking in step with each other,"What did you think of Ashton and the gang?"

"They were uh..they were cool." Luke shoved his hands into his pockets,"Ashton and Sami are cousins right?"

"Yep. And yes, they do always argue like that." Calum informed him,"But give it like 2 weeks and you'll be used to it."

"Indie's pretty quiet." Luke noted

He had been debating with himself about whether to ask Calum about her. Asking a lot of questions would have been strange, considering he had just met her. But since Calum had sparked the conversation, Luke just had to go with it.

"Uh, sometimes." Calum scratched the back of his neck," It really just depends on her mood,I think." 

Did that mean she could have just been having a bad day yesterday? Luke had rough days where he wanted to shut himself out too. It would explain why she wouldn't even talk around her closest friends.

"Makes sense." Luke said, remembering he was supposed to be having a conversation with Calum

"Yeah, trust me, Indie's cool." 

"Yeah," Luke thought back to those few short moments where she talked to him, the small smile, she had on her face, "I believe yolu."

~~~~~

Indie and Sami walked side by side down the school hallway.Ashton had already split off from them to get to his Physics class. The two girls stopped once they aproached Sami's locker.

"So how are you this morning?" Sami did the combination on her locker

"Better." 

Indie was telling the half truth. Indie had began to feel better after finding out she and Camila were being taken to school.Indie was trying to push thoughts of what could have happened if her father made her walk out of her mind. She wasn't being as successful as she'd prefer.

"Good. You looked so bummed yesterday, it made me feel bad."

Indie felt herself flinch slightly at that. Sami, who was occupied with searching for something in her locker, didn't notice the frown that had appeared on Indie's face.

"You shouldn't feel bad." Indie replied to her, serious,"And I wasn't bummed yesterday. " 

"I don't even think you believe that lie." 

You are a terrible liar.

"I wasn't lying." Indie mumbled, looking at the ground

"You weren't truthing." Sami continued to shuffle through her locker

Indie narrowed her eyes.She hoisted her backpack over one shoulder.

Sami sighed and took a couple steps back from her locker. She turned to look at her best friend.

"Just go ahead, I don't want you to be late." Sami glanced back at her locker,"Cause from the look of things, I might be." 

"Are you sure?" 

"Definitely. Just promise to still be in a good mood after class, okay?"

Indie forced herself to answer with something Sami wanted to hear. "Yeah okay." 

As she began walking down the hall, she began repeating 'Today will be a good day' to herself over and over. She hoped that if she told herself that long enough it might actually end up being true.

~~~~~~~

Indie sat one leg on top of the other, on the stool behind the long, huge, desk that separated her from parents, teachers, or students that walked in the office. A couple inches away was Ms. Porter, the school secretary, typing away on the school's desktop computer. 

Indie let out a breath, her shoulders slumping, and rested her chin in the palms of her hands. While she did prefer being an office service learner to taking some class like art, it could get pretty boring at times. Now was so one of those times.

Lucky for her, she always had a book availiable.Indie hopped off her stool and walked over to her backpack laying by a chair. She unzipped the first zipper and pulled out the pink and white colored cover book. Returning back to her spot, she placed the book on the desk and hopped back on the stool. She opened the book, placed her elbows on the desk, and began to read.

Indie didn't know how long it had been. Time goes by fast when you read. But Ms. Porter finally stopped typing and got up from her desk. She walked over to where Indie was sitting.Indie turned away from her book  to the middle aged woman standing next to her.

"Indie, I'm going to get some things from the back, I'll be back shortly."

"Yes ma'am."

Indie turned around back to her book as the woman walked away. Flipping the page, she began reading again.Minutes passed and the only thing that could be heard was the clock and Indie flipping pages of her book.

"Excuse me."

"Yes," Indie said, looking up from her book,"How may I help.." 

Indie trailed off at the sight of Luke standing right in front of her. He always managed to catch her off guard. Closing her book, she cleared her throat and tried to speak again.

"Do you, erm, need something?" she asked

"Uh yeah, there's supposed to be something here in the office for me." 

Indie frowned. And not just because Luke's presence was making her nervous. Ms. Porter hadn't said anything about a student coming to the office to retrieve something. Which meant that Indie didn't exactly know what she was looking for. 

Indie got up from her stool. She looked around the office, as if a blinking arrow would appear pointing to what she was looking for. But of course that didn't happen. She bit her bottom lip in thought.

Perhaps it's on Ms. Porter's desk. Indie thought to herself

"One second." Indie told Luke

"Oh trust me, I've got time. You weren't interrupting anything important." a small smile appeared on Luke's face

Indie couldn't help but think his smile was beautiful. It was golden and bright. He could smile at any person and instantly make their day better. It made her want to smile right back at him. Snapping herself out of it, she turned around and walked over to Ms. Porter's desk. 

On her desk, right next to the telephone, was an envelope. A post it note that read Luke Hemmings was attached to it. So it wasn't a blinking arrow, but it would work. 

Indie picked up the envelope and walked back over to Luke. She placed it on the desk and slid it over to him. 

"There ya go."

"Thanks." Luke picked up the envelope and opened it,"Ah."

It was a yellow inhaler.

"You must have asthma." Indie said without even thinking

Indie wanted to slap herself. Of course he had asthma! People who have inhalers have asthma!

"Yeah, I do. I must have forgot it at home." Luke explained,shoving the yellow inhaler in his jacket pocket,"It's a good thing my mom brought it, I have gym later on today."

Indie nodded as she went back to sitting on her stool. It was silent for a couple of moments. Indie could feel her face heating up simply from Luke looking at her. Uneasy feelings were rippling through her.She glanced at the notepad at the edge of the desk. 

"So yesterday ended weird." Luke noted

Indie felt her heart constrict at the mention of yesterday. She began fiddling with her fingers in her lap. If only Ms. Porter would come back from whatever she happened to be doing that took so long.

"And I was hoping that we could start over." 

Indie blinked in surprise. Indie wasn't sure what she had expected Luke to say to her. But asking to start over definitely didn't cross her mind. Indie wasn't even entirely sure, she comprehended what that meant.

"You look confused."

That's because I am. Indie shrugged slightly. 

"I just didn't like how yesterday ended and you didn't really introduce yourself to me at lunch." Luke explained,"Maybe we could try again. And you know this time, both of us speak."

Indie wondered if Luke was aware of how weird what he was suggesting sounded. "You want us to introduce ourselves again?" 

It sounded even weirder when she said it aloud.

Luke responded with a casual shrug and a smile. "Why not?"

"You already know my name." she pointed out to him

"And you already know mine. Doesn't mean we aren't entitled a do over. Come on, it won't kill you. Unless you just don't want to talk to me."

"Okay." Indie blurted out 

She was going to regret this later. She was going to hate herself for agreeing to talk more to this blonde boy that sent her stomach in knots. The one that she knew she should stay away from but always managed to pop up.

Luke gave her another smile and Indie felt like exploding.He outstretched his hand towards her.

"Hiya," he greeted,"I'm Luke."

Indie reached out her hand. "Hi Luke, I'm In—"

"Is Ms. Porter in here?!" 

Indie dropped her hand immediately at the sight of Lyla standing there. She had her hands on her hips and an annoyed expression on her face.

"She's in the back." Indie answered, softly

If Lyla heard her, it was unclear. Lyla wasn't even looking at Indie, she was too busy looking Luke up and down. 

"Hi Luke." her voice oozed with flirtation

 "Er, hello."

Lyla smiled at him and began talking to him at once. 

Indie watched as Luke interacted with Lyla. It made her want to run out of the office. Run all the way back to her house and nestle in the comfort that was her bed. 

Something tells me your name isn't going to be all that important anymore. the voice in Indie's head rang out 

 "I should get back to class." 

"Works for me." Lyla placed a hand on his arm,"I'll see you around?"

Luke didn't answer just gave her a small smile. He didn't even turn to look at Indie as he exited. Indie knew that was bound to happen but it still stung a little.

"What has you looking so sad?"

Indie looked back up when she realized Lyla was speaking to her now. Lyla had her arms crossed.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Indie opened her book back up

"Don't lie, you're bad at it."

Indie refused to look up. She didn't want to see the hateful expression Lyla had plastered on her face.She just wanted Ms. Porter to come back so Lyla could get whatever she needed and leave. 

"If it's about Luke, you shouldn't be sad."

Indie slowly rose her head up. 

"Wha–what?" 

"Yeah, you shouldn't be sad." Lyla stepped closer towards her,"You should be ashamed that you actually expected a guy like Luke to actually want someone like you. He's way out of your league, Indie."

Indie felt her throat become heavy. Her eyes had gone wide and she felt that itch in them that meant she was close to tears.She prayed that the forces of Ellen kept her from crying.

"Because honestly when has the ugly step sister ever got the prince?"

"Lyla." 

Lyla and Indie turned their heads to see Ms. Porter walking in. Indie wondered if she had heard the previous conversation between Lyla and her. Lyla was obviously wondering the same, for her face had went pale with worry.

"Yes, Ms.Porter?"

"I have that packet your father called about yesterday afternoon." Ms Porter walked over to her desk

Lyla's face instantly shone with relief. Indie's face crumpled. Lyla shot Indie a satisifactory smirk before walking away. 

Indie quickly arose from her stool. Not even caring about getting in trouble, Indie fled from the office.She had barely managed to make it to a bathroom stall before she was crying. 

~~~~~

A/N:I apolgize for how overdue this was. But school and other stuff got in the way. Hopefully the next chapter won't take so long. I hope you all had a happy Halloween and like this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 89 23
"Well you haven't been showing it. You haven't been trying." ...
59.1K 3.8K 25
You want her, You need her, And I'll never be her.
8.7K 2.1K 32
◇ completed ◇ Are you a girl, a woman, a lady or anything feminine? Then, I welcome you to this cruel world which sets beauty standards to tell you...
26.6K 480 28
||EDITING|| ♡REQUEST ARE OPEN♡ ♡Some of these are from my tumblr: crybaby-cliffo