The Selection | liskook

By circewritings

Liberty Pravat-Ahn asked for the crown, but she should win Prince Jungkook's heart first. More

Foreword
Eastasia
Characters
Prologue
The Selection: Chapter I
Chapter II

Chapter III

7.1K 520 446
By circewritings

"Liberty Pravat-Ahn."

I glanced at his disheveled form in the mirror, the owner of the mouth that just uttered my name. He always looked miserable, but today was the worst version of his pathetic self. "Gu Chansung," I bid, refusing to address him as a journalist, "this is women's bathroom."

"Ah, who cares, right? No soul would pay attention to this poor man when the queen of the night herself is standing here," he mocked, winking at the girl who just came out from one of the stall gasping. "Congratulations on another successful movie premiere, by the way, honey."

Like I said, miserable, pathetic, and disgusting. Obviously not someone I hope to see to end the blissfully glamorous evening.

I dried my hands then left, walking away from his bullshit as I heard his steps following.

Gu Chansung always targets me in his made-up tales, persistent on tarnishing my name. The goal has been always on "unearthing" my family secrets. Apparently, he found the absent traces of my past intriguing. But, of course, everything has been wiped out. Father didn't pay a fortune for a half-assed assignment.

"Now, that's just rude, wasn't it?" he blocked my path, standing in the way. "Didn't mommy and daddy teach you respect? Oh wait, corpses can't talk," he feigned sadness.

Long nails digging into my palms, I was sure if I put more pressure on them they would break. Feeling anger slowly creeping up through my fingertips, I let it win.

"If I broke your nose now wouldn't that be a story to write? You're the type who would willingly let yourself get punched by a girl, Gu. Anything for the scoop, right? Liberty Ahn Got Violent, oh I could see right through you. But you know what? I won't give you that headline." I glared at him through my lashes, pinning my fury on his bloodshot eyes. "Suffer."

"You bitch," he hissed, raising his fist yet hesitating about his next move.

I scoffed. "If you lay a hand on me, I'll put you in jail, Gu, you know I can. Everyone is a slave to money and power. Unlucky for you, I have both."

The hate and hurt in his eyes worked like fuel to my anger, keeping it burning and alive.

"Run along now, creep around in the dark for a celebrity's romance like the rat you are and turn it into a cheap scandal. Gossips don't travel fast around here," I winked, which clearly infuriates him, and brushed my shoulder against his.

The swish of my gown against the marble floor along with the clicking sounds of my sharp stiletto signalled my leave.

Not far from there, I noticed my brother leaning against the wall, arms crossed as he smiled proudly. "Anger, anger. I didn't even need to save your ass there, Sis."

"You don't need to save my ass, full stop," I debated, passing him and heading to the exit. "Where's Jisoo unnie?"

Ten caught up with me and matched our steps. "She left, you're coming home with me," he said, throwing one of his arms around my shoulders. "Seriously, Libby, we need to talk about your anger issues. No one would dare to ask you out. Do you want to die alone?"

"Ten, if they can't see through this abhorrent, evil persona, they're simply not worthy of my time," I painted a smile that's better described as cunning rather than sweet.

He bit back a chuckle. "You're so full of yourself, which if I'm being honest, makes you less likeable."

The moment Ten said that a surge of reporters with flashing cameras and microphones crowded us, making me realized that we're already at the exit doors. I arched one of my brows at my brother, showing how the current situation just debunks his claim.

"Let's get you home," he laughed.

After we got into the car and Ten started to drive, the first thing he said to break the hanging silence was, "I'm going home to Thailand."

I peeked at him from the corner of my eye, not bothering to turn my head. "Okay, I'll come with you."

"No, you'll be staying here."

Only then I faced him. "And why is that?"

"Because somebody needs to handle things in the homeless shelters while I'm gone."

I rolled my eyes though he couldn't see it. "You take me for a fool, brother? Jisoo unnie, mom, and dad are literally here. Now, where are you actually going?"

"I'm telling you the truth, I'm leaving for Thailand. Open the drawer," he instructed. True to his words, I found an airplane ticket with his name on it scheduled for--

"Tomorrow?!" I exclaimed.

"First flight tomorrow," he confirmed, "I'm waiting for your movie premiere, Sis. You shouldn't be mad at me."

"I can't believe you. How long are you staying?"

"I'm considering a month," he shifted his eyes to me when the traffic lights turn red. "I need proper rest and vacation, Libby. I've been working nonstop these past few years."

"Yeah, but look at me," I pouted, "I'm no better than you. And you're just going to leave me here?"

Resting his temple on the car seat, he sighed. "Libby, I've checked your schedule with Jisoo. Yours is packed," he pointed at me, "Mine is cleared," he pointed at himself.

"Ten, you can't do this to me," I plead and I rarely do that. My brother should notice how serious this matter is. "What if our house is under attack?"

He straightened his posture and faced the road to continue driving. "Libby, we have guards everywhere. Don't be a baby now."

But I have the right to be for since we were a kid we've been inseparable. We spent everyday together and although after becoming celebrities our time together was much more limited, we always came home to the same place. Not a flight away.

Deep down I know that I'm just scared of losing my only family cause let's be honest here, death could be just a hairsbreadth away without us knowing. It's a sad thought, but one I should admit. I could lose Ten. That plane might crash.

"If you're leaving, Ten, I swear I'm going to join the Selection."

"Don't even think about it. No, you won't."

"Will."

"Won't."

"Will. You don't care about me, so it's only fair if I don't care about your opinions."

"Libby, stop being childish."

"Oh, this is me being reasonable," I challenged.

He stepped on the brake, putting us into an abrupt stop. "Fine. Do whatever."

"You're going to regret this, brother," I got off the car, slammed the door on his face, and stormed off to the house.

÷

"Unnie," I called for Jisoo's attention as she was picking out a film. It was just the two of us tonight since my twin brother, with no sign of hesitation, decided to stick to his plan and leave the house this morning.

I stared at the ceiling, letting my mind wonder. "Do you think they will let me work while participating in the Selection?"

"I guess you can negotiate with them, unless the officials would cover the penalty for the contract breach," she replied, her attention was still on the TV, undivided. But that didn't stop me from further questioning her.

"What does a princess do, actually?"

She snickered. "Look pretty for the camera,  fulfill the prince's sexual needs, and carry a male heir in the future."

"What?" I furrowed my brows.

"We're women in a man's world, Libby. Even the Queen lives in the King's shadow--Hey, what about this movie?"

I tilted my head at the screen and gave an okay sign. The opening track started rolling in when I popped another curiosity.

"I'm convinced that the Prince already has someone he wish to marry. Do you think the Selection is a mere pretence?"

"Yeah, I bet--Oh my god, that guy is so stupid--Last year, where do you think he was heading to? His secret lover. Didn't you see the rose bucket in the backseat?--Sir, you don't doubt the existence of aliens."

I managed to make out the answer I needed despite her response. And no, I didn't see anything but rage back then.

"So how do I seduce him into falling for me?" I bit the inside of my cheeks, cringing at my own words.

"It's your forte more that it is mine, Libby. You're an actress."

"You're hopeless," I groaned. "Maybe, instead, I can manipulate his lover into leaving on her own accord? I can crush her confidence and make the other girls casting her out."

"Now what do we say about your anger issues?" she muttered disapprovingly, then her tone switched, "why would you care about The Selection anyway? You're not seriously considering to join."

"Told you I want to piss my brother off."

Jisoo yanked me up instantly, gripping both of my sides and glaring at me in disbelief.

"My, you're not joking," she concluded after studying my expression. "This is stupid, Liberty."

"You know, I've been thinking about what Yuqi said the other day," I recalled. "It's about time. We can't keep on trying to fix the damage. We have to prevent the issue from appearing in the first place," I argued as my mind tracking back bits of gut-wrenching memories dated from different times in the last few years. The homeless people, their desperation. I can actually do something to prevent it rather than to fix it, right?

"Even if you ended up being the princess, you'd be powerless regardless, Libby. Just listen to your brother."

"I can change the prince's mind. Maybe he'd be so in love with me to the point he'd let me to participate in politics?"

"Libby, you hate him. You won't even look at him whenever he's appearing on the news. Love? That's a fever dream. We even agreed that this shit show amidst the increasing attack is a comedy. Let's just do whatever we do best like usual."

"But unnie--"

"You're aware of the damage it caused to your mother, yes? Then learn from it rather than repeating the same mistake. Your father tried so hard to give you peace for the rest of your life, let's not ruin that."

"Unnie, I'm just going to try. There's a chance that I won't make it," I reminded, attempting to calm her.

She scoffed, stifling her mockery. "You're Liberty Ahn. You already have a free pass anywhere and you're aware of that fact."

👑

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 63.5K 59
π’πœπžπ§π­ 𝐨𝐟 π‹π¨π―πžγ€’ππ² π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 γ€ˆπ›π¨π¨π€ 1〉 π‘Άπ’‘π’‘π’π’”π’Šπ’•π’†π’” 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
3.5M 285K 96
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
1.4M 121K 43
✫ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐀 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐈𝐧 π‘πšπ­π‘π¨π«πž π†πžπ§'𝐬 π‹π¨π―πž π’πšπ πš π’πžπ«π’πžπ¬ ⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎ She is shy He is outspoken She is clumsy He is graceful...
252K 28.7K 73
#Book-2 of Hidden Marriage Series. πŸ”₯❀️ This book is the continuation/sequel of the first book "Hidden Marriage - Amazing Husband." If you guys have...