First Love at Second Life ( H...

By Stars_in___

Diana is a 28th years old single woman who's patient and caring for her bed-ridden father. The only joy and s... More

The Beginning of an End
Advancement
Into The Game!
Love at Second World
Spread the Wings
Worriness
First Bloom
Forgotten Petals
Laugh in The Afternoon
First Goodbye
Prayer Hour
Blue and Red Haori
Miracle in Progress
Second Meeting
Reconnect : The Story Begins
Blood Weaver
Laugh on The Blood
Unforgotten Temple
The Unbent Rules
With the Scholar
What's Stay Invisible
Light Talks, Dark Thoughts
The Walls Have Eyes and Ears
Truth to be Told
Baby Blue
Following the Winds
Love That Stuck in Time
The Fated Night
To Meets End Night
What Lurks in The Eyes
Hierarchy
Confession
Forged Route
Blurry Vilain
Deeper Step
Dull Knife, Sharp Beads
What the Heart Chose
The Void
Breath a Life
Unwordly Prayer
White Complex
Behind the Curtain
Behind the Curtain (2)
Side by Side
Lotus at Night
The Truth Upon the Veil
The Truth Under the Veil
The Sun and Moon
Bell of Truth
Ghostly Step
Truth of Emerald
Pity and Grace
The Revelation at Dusk
Bring Back Love
What The Shoulder Carry
Cry of Order

First Step

725 39 0
By Stars_in___

7 years has passed since Hijikata and Kondou's departure to Kyoto. Kondou and Okita often exchanging letters throughout the years. Shun was the one who suggest it to Okita, so he won't feel really lonely at the dojo. At first Okita was being bashful about it, but later on he even asked Shun to read it together with him. It was only because sometimes Kondou talked about Hijikata in his letter.

" Lately the day has been getting warmer, I bet the snow will melt in another 2 or 3 days more. "
Shun seems to be really enjoying her evening walk with Okita as well.

" Yeah? I guess things will get lively again. This winter has been taking a lot of people's life after all. "
He snickered as if it was something to joke about.

" Ah sheesh, you don't have to say it like that. You're really going to anger the souls, Okita-kun. "
However, Shun's getting used to his dark jokes already—and his sometimes rude behavior.

Honestly, even Shun herself is surprised how she and Okita become friends until now. Throughout the year, Okita's cynical traits are getting more obvious, and he doesn't seems like bothered to hide it as well. Though Shun is pretty upset because her cute and prickly little brother is slowly turning into a sadistic and cynical guy.

" Hahaha, I myself actually afraid of angering their souls as well you know. That's why I can only say things like that when I'm with you. "

"... Huh?! What's up with that? You're going to sacrifice me or something you mean? "

" Well, I know you're more superstitious than anyone I've ever known, Shun. Maybe you can actually disperse those ghost with your prayer~~ Hahaha. "

" Hah... I can't believe it he really laughed about that... "
For Shun who's actually... really can do that, it was really nerve-wrecking to laugh along with Okita.

When spring is here, the sky will be colored again and the town will look livelier than now. But in winter, though the sky often look grayish-blue, the town and mountain will always look covered in white. Actually today's weather is quite nice, the sun has been getting out a lot lately and their light shine upon the snow makes it twinkling like a field of gems.

Okita and Shun are hiking to the mountain right now. Okita just realized how beneficial Shun's routine recently. Though he's excel in swordplay and a top student at the dojo, he's actually quite impressed on Shun's routine who's hiking down and up the mountain every day and every season. More over, Shun always carry something on her back, so this daily life of her can takes as much power as when Okita practicing his swordplay.

" Shun. "
He called. Though his tone seems more serious than usual.

" Hm? "

" ... I'll go to Kyoto tomorrow to join Kondou-San and Hijikata-San. "

It's nothing to be surprised for, but sometimes Shun really can forget that the three of them are inseparable peas in one pod.

" Yeah? I know that. I mean it's to be expected. "
Shun play it cool and let him choose the paths he believes in.

" Eh... Hahaha, I didn't expect how flat your reaction gonna be though. But I'm glad... I'm glad it's... alright. "
That was probably one of the rare moments where Okita being genuine and smiled gently—not like his usual mischievous self.

Shun can only sighed hopelessly at the young guy and smiled as if she's the one comforting him instead.

" What's this? Worrying me because dad is no longer here? No need to worry about me and mom. You know I'm strong and can defend myself, mom is a good hunter as well. Step out from this city and go widened your way of seeing the world, Okita-kun. "
At first she wanted to pat his head, but she suddenly remembered about her parting with Hijikata.

" I guess I should support his back instead. "
Shun patted Okita's back lightly with a satisfied smile.

The young guy was surprised for a moment there, though... it was a pleasant feeling.

" What are you acting being so mature about? You're only one year older than me, Shun. "
With a playful grin, he messes with the older's hair.

.

.

.

The sun hasn't showed up yet, though spring will be here soon, it doesn't mean you can be careless enough to go out in early morning with snow still piled on the roads and tree branches. In contrast with Kondou and Hijikata who chose to begin their departure at dusk, Okita most likely will step out from the city at dawn instead.

But he has a reason to go out from the dojo even before the sunlight penetrate the dark night. His voice won't tell where he will go, but the trace he left on the snow will.

Kneeling on the cold stone, he take out an incense to burn. He was sorry for not bringing any offering, but as his frozen cold palm clasped together in front of a certain gravestone, Okita said his gratefulness in his prayer.

Tanzaki wasn't much of a man who leave a striking impression on someone's memory if one should be honest. He's the kind of man who just live his life through happiness and sadness peacefully no matter the situation. Rather than a strong human who pushed himself to mark his name on earth, he's just... there. Living his life as he protect and nurturing his family with love, compassion, kindness. If anything else, he's truly like a flower, stay beautiful in its own way, stay solemn till his end.

" You get to talk with him? "
A loud and clear voice clearing the misty air around the gravestone as she approaching Okita.

Done with his prayer, he turned around to the source of the voice.

" Nope. The dead can't talk after all. "
He answered with his usual smirk.

" Heh, thought so. But thank you anyway for visiting dad's grave. You're good to go now? "

" Yeah, I'm ready at anytime now. "
Such a clear eyes that glazed with unwavering resolve.

Just like when Hijikata and Kondou leave for Kyoto, Shun pull out her left hand together with a prayer beads circling around her wrist. Clasping her hands together, she recite the prayer to the guy— no, to the man who will set off for his journey.

( PLAY THE SONG HERE FOR THE FEELS)

" Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity. Be fair in thy judgment, and guarded in thy speech.
Be a lamp unto those who walk in darkness, and a home to the strange
Though the sun has yet to come, may your path always going towards the light. "

The chilly breeze become warmer even though no sunlight seen in the sky. Soon, those light will come, bringing the seed of spring and life will bloom wherever the light touch.

" You're really good at praying, eh. So this is how the two of them must've felt when you prayed in front of them. "
He snorted, but his compliment was genuine.

" Haha, what do you know about prayer chants anyway? I'm nowhere as good as a scholar's poetry even. "

" But it feels more sincere like that... "

"... Sheesh, coming out from a sadist like you, I should be proud of myself, eh? "

" The hell is that supposed to mean? Just swallow my compliment raw for once, would you? "

" Hahaha! Oh, Okita-kun, I hope you'll always be my little thorny boy! "
Perhaps it's because they've been stayed together for 7 years now, Shun began to see him in a little brother light instead. Even though he's already 16 and more like a brother in puberty more than anything.

" ... Shun, I'm going. "

" Alright, Okita-kun. Have a save trip! "

" See ya later. Oh yeah, Shun. "

" Hm? "

" When you get into Kyoto later... you can just call me, Souji. "

".......... hee....... "

" T-this is because you keep ending my name with honorific and I don't wanna be called by my samurai family name, 'kay? I just want to be myself. That's all, bye! "

Shun eyes nailed at the back of the man who's walking through the dark. Though his surroundings provide no lights, Shun somewhat can see, the footprints Okita's leaving behind reflect a magnificent light hidden in him.

Light has reached the sky, beaming every darkness from the sky down to the forest. As her eyes following his figure that keep getting blurrier, her heart begin to talk some sense.

" Okita Souji... he's a great man but he's fated to die by the hands of disease. I can't... change people's death time, can I? Although.... perhaps... I can... if it's—"

" What are you thinking, Shun? "
The voice as crisp as an ice, coming from Heiji to the holiness.

Shun turned to her back, finding the kitsune yokai in his human form sitting in front of Tanzaki's gravestone.
She didn't immediately answer the question, instead she cover it with a simple smile.

" What kind of expression are you making? "
Heiji asked flatly with one hand on the chin as if waiting something in boredom.

" ... Can't you tell? "

"... Nah, the sky is getting brighter, I can't see your silhouette. "

" I see...Well, it doesn't matter anyway. I'll go back home now, see ya. Oh, and try not to make a fuss too much around dad's grave. "

With dead eyes, he follows her figure to dissolved inside the forest.

" A yokai... we're born from the darkness. Not all of us eat human, but if one wanted to eat them, it's like as normal as breathing for us. And yet... you... Shun, our source of light, born from our own prey. The Yokai Priestess that cannot be harmed by yokai... meant to lead us... born as a human... and can only be killed by another human...

What's the difference between me and the gods? We both really like to play tricks on others after all. "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 70 18
An ordinary girl being addicted to otome game and reincarnated as one of the powerful villainess in the game world... Can a villainess become a prot...
6.8K 189 65
This is a sequel to my other yyh fanfic book 'A Warm Compassion'. The Next Generation of Team Urameshi's family group. Please read that first before...
22.1K 1.6K 33
Four years of living with her Ojii-san had been a roller coaster ride for sixteen year old half french-half japanese Honoree Ishirama. She would spen...
8.2M 472K 173
Rei, a former samurai lieutenant is reincarnated into the body of an 8 year old, who happens to be the main villainess in a romance novel for foreign...