Protecting and Healing You

By rachel_dulay

{completed} On the one of the craziest nights in New York, a fire had taken place that afternoon, a riot at n... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Bonus Chapter.

Chapter 4.

2.5K 77 0
By rachel_dulay

"Will you stop fidgeting with your dress?" Leo says as we walk towards his car.

"I'm sorry it's just i'm a girl who loves scrubs but wearing a dress to a gala" he chuckles and opens the passenger door for me.

"You look beautiful"he smiles down at me as I swing my legs into the car. I blush as he closes the door and walks around the front of his car. Amelia had helped me get ready for tonight and she knew how nervous i was.

Leo and I kept the conversation very comfortable as he drove to where the police gala was taking place, I obviously knew he knew I was nervous for tonight. He's a cop after all.

When we arrived at the place, he helped me out of the car before the valet dude took his car away. He twines our fingers together squeezing gently as we walk up the stairs and give our coats.

"So the captain hosts these gala's?" I ask Leo.

"Yea, he thinks it's nice for all cops in New York to meet up once and awhile"he tells me.

"I wanna say that it's not funny but it is"he chuckles as we enter the big room with all the noise.

"I mean I think it's funny too so but I have no"before he could finish his sentence squeal comes from the side of the room.

"Leo!" Someone squeals, we turn our heads to see a little girl in a black and white dress run over to us. Leo's hand pulls away from mine as he kneels down and picks her up, setting her on her hip. I smile at her.

"Hi Isla"he beams as her arms wrap around his neck.

"Who's that?"she asks looking at me.

"This is Julie"he smiles brightly at me.

"She's pretty"I blush.

"Yea I think so too"he smiles back at me.

"Leo"a new voice says. Leo moves his body so we see a woman in her at least late thirties standing there. Leo sets the little girl, Isla done.

"Mother" he gives her a stiff smile. Her eyes gaze over to me "this is Julie" he introduces me, he turns to me "my mother" he tells me.

"Hello"She smiles at me, we shake hands. "You can call me Stephanie" she smiles. The two of them talk before she drags Isla away.

"I know what your gonna say beautiful"he sighs, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"I'm not about to say anything about you and your mother's relationship. Every family is strained" he smiles down at me before looking forward.

"Fucking hell"he sighs, I look forward to see a man coming towards us. If I wasn't so easily scared I wouldn't be trying to hide behind Leo.

"Captain" Leo says as they shake hands quickly.

"You saw your mother already?" He asks in a strict tone. Leo's grip around my waist tightens.

"Yes I have"he nods. He looks my way "this is Julie Griffin" he says. The captain gives me a curt nod before turning back to Leo.

"Don't forget to make conversation, it's already bad enough that my son is late"he says before walking away. I turn in Leo's arm and quirk an eyebrow.

"Yea well now you know why I didn't really wanna come"

"Your Dad is the captain, I think it would've been mandatory for you"I smile, he sighs and presses his lips to my forehead.

"As much as I'd like to step away from this stupid gala I do gotta talk to some people to please my father"

"It's okay, IHOP can wait" I kiss his cheek.

"Come on, I guess we'll start with my squad. You'll love them, their a lot like me" he winks. I roll my eyes.

"Oh great" he chuckles and I recognize one of the men we were nearing as their chief.

"Hughes"he smiles at us. Leo reintroduces us and I was introduced to his wife.

"I'm sorry if my father gives you a hard time chief, he's just worried someone is gonna kick him off as captain and force him to retire"Leo jokes.

"Ah no worries, I've been dealing with him for years"chief pats his back as we move on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Suddenly the main apartment light flicks on, Leo and I stop in our tracks to see Amelia standing by the wall, certainly not impressed.

"Could you be any louder?" She asks. "Like honestly I'd be fine if it's you two having sex cause fucking like at you two"She dramatically says pointing at us, I tilt my head "you're both like a fucking god and goddess but I'm coming out here to tell you that this girl"she points to herself "stayed up half the night fighting with her father while you guys sat at IHOP and clearly are eating the leftovers so shut the hell up"she demands before flicking off the lights.

The two of us wait for her to slam the door, she does and I turn to Leo. We burst out laughing but then I do remind him she was being serious.

"You've got chocolate all over your lips"he rolls his eyes with a smile, I watch in the dark as his thumb creases my lips. He clears his throat "did I mention you look beautiful? Especially tonight" I nod, my cheeks heating up. He leans forward and I press the remaining space between me to a close. My hands come up to his neck as his hands grip my waist.

I still can't believe it took him this long to kiss me, but I wasn't complaining.

Suddenly he lifts me up off the ground and onto the kitchen counter, he pulls away slowly "taste like chocolate"he smirks and I blush before his lips were back on mine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Over the last few hours I was annoyed with my long dress but right here as Leo and I laid on my bed, still fully clothed in our fancy attire, I wasn't so annoyed.

"I've really gotta go"he chuckles and slowly starts to sit up "I've gotta go to work tomorrow, in the morning"he reminds me. I roll my eyes as I watch him sit at the end, tying his shoes up and grabs his suit jacket.

"I'll bring you lunch"I smile at him.

"I'll be waiting"he smiles and leans down to kiss me. With that I watch him quietly exit the apartment, not wanting to make anymore sound for Amelia, whom clearly had a bad night. I change quickly out of my dress and head into my bathroom to take off all my makeup, after doing so I walked across the apartment and knocked on Amelia's door before opening it.

"So what's the deal?" I ask her, she was laying on her phone in the dark.

"Nothing"she says as I lift up the covers to her bed and slide into her queen size bed with her.

"Oh shut up and just tell me"I sigh.

"My dad thinks that working in New York isn't ideal and wants me to move back home" I sigh and wrap my arm around her shoulders.

"So what happened?" I ask her.

"I said he can kiss my ass" I laugh and she chuckles.

"And he said?"

"I'm off the will and have no income from him anymore"

"Oh my god! Like you'd need his income! You have a real life job now! Who needs him!"

"You know right, your true"I rub her shoulder.

"You've got me and my family that's all you need Alright"I say and she nods with a chuckle.
~~~~~~~~~~~
My shift didn't start till five pm and I didn't end the next morning till seven, it was gonna be a long shift but usually it was very hectic and I hardly ever had two hours to sit down.

Like promised I was bringing Leo lunch, the two of us had found out we love our burritos so I opted to get him a burrito. I had spent the majority of my morning studying for my exam which was coming up in a few weeks.

"I'm here to see Leo Hughes"I tell the lady at the front desk.

"Fourth floor"she tells me and I nod before heading to the elevators. I never once have been in any of the precincts here in New York and I never thought I would.

The elevator doors open up and the officers buzzing around either seated at their desk weren't in cubicles like how others were. I look around.

"Julie"a voice says and I turn to see Finley walking around the corner.

"Hey"I smile, sighing internally because I wasn't looking around lost.

"You here for Leo?" He asks looking at the take out bag in my hand. I nod. Suddenly I feel being wrapped around me.

"Hey Jules"Leo comes around me and I smile.

"Your lunch" I say handing the bag to him.

"Thanks"

"Did you just get in?" Finely asks and Leo nods. "And?"

"Just had to take a statement from a few people in a neighbourhood" Leo shrugs.

"Easy day then?" I ask looking between the two boys.

"Not for me"Finley sighs and walks away. Leo chuckles.

"Come, we can hang out while I eat"

"Woah your gonna show me your desk?" I say in a teasing tone. He chuckles as he guides me over to his desk.

"So what did you do this morning?" He asks as we sit down at his desk and I sit in the chair beside his desk.

"I just studied all morning"I roll my eyes.

"When's your exam?"

"A few weeks from now"

"Do you work tonight?" I nod.

"I work at five with Amelia"

"Do you work tomorrow?" He asks, shovelling down his food. I laugh and cross my legs.

"Yea, I do. Same time too"I tell him.

"Pity"I roll my eyes at him.

"Why got stuff, got something planned?"

"What if I was?" He smirks at me.

"Officer Hughes"his walkie goes off. He picks up his walkie off his shoulder and speaks into it.

"Yea I'll be on my way" he says. "Well duty clearly never stops"he sighs, pushing the garbage into the take out bag. We both stand.

"Did you take the subway here?" He asks. I shake my head.

"I was studying at the Starbucks" he nods.

"Want a ride home? I gotta check something out and it's passing your apartment"

"If you don't mind"

"Only if you don't mind riding in a cop car" I shrug as I watch him throw out the take out bag. He then reaches over and grabs his keys and wind breaker before wrapping an arm around me.

"A cop car is probably less intimidating in the front then it is in the back isn't it?"

"I don't know, I've only ever sat in the front but probably" he agrees. We walk down to his squad car.

Soon we pulled up at my apartment "Hey, thanks for coming in and bringing me food"he smiles over at me.

"I did promise you didn't I?" I ask, grabbing my purse at my feet.

"I'll text you later" he says and I nod.

"Please be careful"I tell him.

"Always am beautiful"he smirks at me before I lean forward and we kiss.

"Have a good day at work"

"Oh yea I love night shifts"I say sarcastically, popping open the door. He leans forward and kisses my cheek.

I slide out of his car but bend down before shutting it "see yea handsome"I wink at him, he smirks at me before I close the door. Pulling the door to my apartment, I turn my head to see him driving down the street.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Well Malory just for extra measure, I'm gonna send you down to the x Ray room just in case" I smile at the thirteen year old sitting on the bed in front of me. I look down at her ankle.

"I can get a wheelchair if that's easier for you guys"I say looking between Malory and her mother.

"If it's no bother"her mom smiles.

"It's not, I'll be right back" I give them a smile and exit the room.

"Hey Julie"Camille calls from the front desk, I stop "someone delivered you food"she waves the bag of take out and I roll my eyes.

"I'll be there in a second, mine putting it in the break room? I gotta send someone to X Ray's" she nods. I grab a wheelchair and bring it back to the room I was in. After bringing Malory and her mother towards the X Ray room, I hand those in there her files before heading to the break room.

"Hey girlie"a few nurses greet me and I smile.

"So Camille told us that someone special dropped you food"Amelia wiggles her eyebrows and I flip her off.

"It's because I went and gave him lunch today"I tell her as I sit down and open up the bag.

"He was very cute dropping it by I'll tell you that"Camille says passing the break room. Everyone on their break laughs and I blush.

"Alright, shut up"I groan.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.6K 2.9K 32
"Jake couldn't stop his eyes from dropping to my body. His gaze lingered on my curves, his face thirsting for something more than the spilled coffee...
476K 12.9K 47
Evie was just a simple girl trying to make it through life without any unnecessary problems. And she didn't think co-signing on a loan for an old hig...
841K 29.7K 38
When protection and passion collide. She can run, but she can't hide. Jessica Turner tries her best to blend in. You'd think she's the average B+ Psy...
9.8K 1K 43
*Featured story* "An absolute void was embracing me, a sensation that was all too familiar to me. As far as I could remember, that was what my dreams...