It Started With Stealing | Sh...

By Mickey_Fable

Elizabeth Parrish is a thief but not just any thief - She is Moriarty's personal thief. She made a deal with... More

1 - Elizabeth
2 - A Meeting With Mycroft
3 - Attempted Escape
4 - A Cab Ride Home
5 - A Change Of Sides
6 - Plotting
7 - Trust Issues
8 - Fickle
9 - Splitting At The Seams
11 - From Murder Cases To More Thieves
12 - Clients
13 - Bad Time To Have A Moral Code?
14 - Eye For An Eye
15 - The End Of Scarlett
16 - Solving The Kelly Case
17 - Jeweller's Thieves
18 - Pout
19 - Hatman & Robin (& Hatwoman Too)
20 - I'm In My Nighty!
21 - At Buckingham Palace
22 - You Have One New Message
23 - Preparing For 'Battle'
24 - The Woman
25 - Intruders
26 - My Little Trinket
27 - Late Night Meeting
28 - F*** You, Jim
29 - A Conversation With Mycroft
30 - The Return Of The Thieves
31 - Trying
32 - Forty Elephants
33 - Keeping Her Happy
34 - The Brief
35 - Victor Breako
36 - Another Dance
37 - An Unexpected Kiss
38 - A Close Call
39 - Would You Do It Again?
40 - For Clarity
41 - It's Obvious!
42 - Must You Run Now?
43 - You'll Hate Me
44 - Burning & Building Bridges
A/N - A Wee Taggy Tag
45 - This Is HAllOwEEn (halloween, HALLOWEEN)
46 - Christmas Time, Apologies & Wine
47 - Complex
48 - Surviving
49 - Alive
A/N - Let's Get Tiggy With The Tag (burn me)
50 - Happy New Year
51 - Bliss
52 - Discord
53 - Intimate
54 - Follow The Leader
55 - Am I Just A Disadvantage To You?
56 - Let Me Explain
57 - Another Brief
TAG YOU'RE IT (not if you don't want to be tho)
58 - The Sands
59 - Lectures
60 - Cruise Day
61 - Speaking With The Silvas
62 - Sherlock?
63 - Murder On The RMS Valour
64 - Hackers & Guys
65 - Set-Up
66 - You Are All I Have
67 - Long Night
68 - You're Okay
69 - Welcome
70 - As Long As You Love Me
71 - Birthday Bliss
72 - Surprise
73 - In Which Mycroft Doesn't Verbally Attack Elizabeth
74 - Well Eye'll Be Damned
75 - If Thy Right Hand Offend Thee...
76 - Blame & Anger
77 - Secrets & Lies
20K Author Q&A (Part 1)
20K Character Q&A (Part 2)
78 - Little Seed Of Doubt
79 - Doubt Roots Itself
80 - Fugitive
81 - Watson & Parrish, Adler & Holmes
82 - We All Fall Down
83 - Trying To Keep Them Safe
84 - Babysitting
85 - Solving The Case Of The Missing Mother
86 - Meeting Henry Knight
87 - Taken To Devon
88 - Baskerville Base
89 - Terror At Dewer's Hollow
90 - On With The Heist
91 - Removing The Veil
92 - Guess Who's Back
93 - Trial Of The Century
94 - The White Knight Is Taken
95 - The Fall Of The Forty Elephants
96 - The Ambassador's Children
97 - On The Run
98 - Forget Forgive
Epilogue
A/N - Recommendations
A/N - Not urgent, do not have to read...

10 - Tea & Toast & Treating Wounds

2.1K 107 81
By Mickey_Fable

There was a gentle knock at Sherlock's door the next morning with the detective stood outside as he waited for the thief to answer. A quiet 'yeah' emerged from behind the door and he opened it a small bit.

"What do you want, Sherlock?"

"Clothes. It's my room remember."

"Well, I'm not the one who chose to sleep in your room."

He had to admit that she had a point but he didn't reply with any smart arse comment - that's what John had instructed him not to do.

*Flashback*

Sherlock was up early that morning but he was actually being quiet about everything for once. John had appeared rather early as his shift at the GP Centre was for a little later that morning. John was surprised to even find the detective in the room, sat quietly in his chair with his hands steepled under his chin but had his eyes open. He wasn't in his Mind Palace at that time although a part of John expected him to be.

"What are - "

"Shush," Sherlock hissed, "She's still sleeping."

Frowning with disbelief and curiosity, John took his seat opposite the detective so he wouldn't have to speak as loud. Then, he just watched Sherlock for a moment.

"Since when were you so considerate about not waking people up?"

"Since I killed her friend." He replied monotonously.

John was taken aback by his statement. In some ways, yes, it was their fault - for getting Shaun involved - but actually killing him? John wouldn't go that far. Yes, it was a great tragedy but they hadn't pulled the trigger - Lord, they didn't even know that there was going to be a sniper on the roof opposite - so how Sherlock blamed himself really perplexed John. He was a man of logic but maybe Elizabeth's words had really got to him.

"How do you know you killed him? You specifically?"

Sherlock sort of shrugged, then looked to John, "I could have pushed them both to the ground but I didn't."

"It was a stressful moment, Sherlock. If you saw the sight on Elizabeth's back, what presumption were you to make? You gave everyone a decent warning to get down - if the sight was trained on Shaun then I'm sure you would have pushed him to the ground instead. At that moment, you saw there was more danger to Elizabeth than anyone else. What you did was logical."

"She still blames me though - "

"Sherlock, she was upset! Who else was there to blame - "

"Moriarty - "

"That was also in the room? That she could verbally accuse?"

It was human nature to blame someone, Sherlock thought, often the people in the room where the event took place. Even he knew that but her words really got to him. It didn't matter who got hurt so long as it wasn't anyone he cared about.

"How do I - apologise?"

Even if John said he shouldn't think himself responsible for Shaun's death, he still wanted to make amends - otherwise, she'd never work with them properly again. That and he genuinely felt bad for what happened.

"Just don't be a smart-arse about it."

With that, John got up from his chair and headed over to the coat-rack. It wouldn't fix it but perhaps it would begin building back that bridge.

"And maybe bring her tea too."

Sherlock nodded and gave a small smile to the army doctor as he left.

*Flashback End*

So that's what he had done. He had waited until he heard her stirring and went to make her tea - and toast.

He took her last line as an invite to come in, that and the way she beckoned him impatiently to come into the room. Then she saw the tray he was holding and frowned as he put it next to her on the bedside table. Sherlock stood there, hands behind his back, as he looked at her somewhat unsure of what to say.

"What's this?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Breakfast." He replied rather obviously.

"No, I know that but what's - this?" She gestured around, "Didn't realise I was in a B'n'B and I thought you said you wanted clothes."

"I - uh - I also wanted to - apologise."

Now, it was Elizabeth's turn to share a look of uncertainty and woe. Silence fell across them both as he stood there, waiting for some tell that told him it was time to go. Part of her knew she was harsh on them last night - Sherlock had saved her after all - but this was becoming a frustrating back and forth. They make a mistake, she has a go at them, they apologise, repeat. She said 'they' - more so she meant 'him'. But this was a hard mistake to forgive. The first step was acknowledging it wasn't their fault but Jim's. It was difficult to do so though.

"Tea and toast won't bring Shaun back." Elizabeth replied sullenly.

"I know. I'm sorry."

She could tell he meant it sincerely. That and I wasn't like her to hold a grudge for so long.

"Thank you." She broke the silence between them.

Another part of her mind told her this happened anyway, that no one's life as a criminal guaranteed you would live, regardless of what crime you committed. She took the tea off the tray, taking a small sip. Sherlock nodded to her and turned to leave.

"What about your clothes?" She called after him.

The detective strolled back in again without looking at Elizabeth as he searched his drawers and wardrobe for that day's outfit. Her mouth curved up at the edges a small bit as he had pretended like he hadn't forgotten at all. Then he faltered slightly as he got his shirt off of the hangar and she frowned.

"How's your arm?"

"Fine."

She could tell he said the line with gritted teeth.

"Didn't John look at it?"

"No."

"Why not?" Elizabeth was already getting out of the bed to see.

Sherlock turned away from the wardrobe, shutting it as he saw Elizabeth approaching him, "Because it's fine." He gave a pained look, "Eat your breakfast." He then instructed.

Quirking her eyebrows at the detective, she said, "One - I'm not a little girl you can just order around, two - you and I aren't stupid enough to not realise that it could get infected. The bullet went - straight through, yes?"

Of course yes, because the bullet ended up in Shaun.

Sherlock gave a small, reluctant nod, realising now that she wasn't going to let this go.

"Let me see."

"You're not a doctor." He raised an eyebrow.

"And you're in no position to protest, especially if the wound is infected. Wardrobe behind you, upset thief that knows martial arts in front of you. Where are you planning to escape to? Narnia?" She gave him a knowing look.

"You don't know martial arts." Sherlock looked at her in disbelief.

"I'd let you find out but I know you're injured."

Sherlock still made no move, "Go and enjoy your breakfast." He smiled politely, knowing last night John said to give her space.

But Elizabeth didn't want any, she just wanted something to take her mind off of it, off of what Shaun had said, "I'm not asking."

She could be bloody insistent when she wanted to be. With a sigh, Sherlock nodded and directed her to the first aid box in the kitchen. He wasn't getting out of this one, the whole world knew it. Removing his gown slowly, he went sit on the couch and she followed. Sherlock had done his own patch job last night, putting a dressing over the entrance and exit wound but hadn't cleaned it. After seeing the wound, Elizabeth went to fetch a bowl of water and cotton pads. The entire time, she remained quiet cleaning the wound, save for the quiet wincing of Sherlock when it stung. He kept looking at her every now and again, trying to study her, trying to deduce what she was thinking.

"What?" She questioned without looking away from the wound.

"Your tea and toast are getting cold." Well, he didn't lie about that.

"Enjoy tea and toast while the person who is responsible for me gets an infection and dies or treat said person's infection because I literally have nowhere else to go?" Her gaze met his for a brief moment, "I wonder which I would choose." She spoke sarcastically.

This earned a small smile from Sherlock.

"What are you really thinking?" She wasn't an idiot.

"About what you're thinking." He answered a little more honestly.

"Why?"

"Well, if I were you, I know I'd pick the former choice. Looks like you were lucky and you just left."

"Forgetting the 'nowhere to go' part. Nowhere safe anyway."

"You could just not work with us."

"I could - but then I'd be in prison."

"We really didn't give you much choice did - ah! Ow!"

Elizabeth had gently pressed his wound as she looked at him with a blank look, "You think?" She removed her finger.

Noted: a little bit touchy about what happened still. Sherlock looked to her with a pained frown.

"Did that hurt?"

"Yes."

"Good."

His brow knotted in the middle. Well, that was rude.

"What I'm thinking is that because I don't have any real choice, I might as well make the most of this one because if I don't, I won't have any choice anyway."

He nodded. Fair enough.

As she put the dressings back on the wound, she said, "What I'm also thinking is that you saved my life - thank you," She gave him a grateful look, "But I did lose a friend in the process of you doing so."

"I'm sorry."

"I know." She gulped, "But I also know that the risk of death comes with the job and if we hadn't seen Shaun last night, who's to say he wouldn't have been killed on the next job he went on."

Sherlock was silent.

"And I know that you only did what you thought was best. I know that I'm entitled to be upset but I know I was harsh last night." Elizabeth looked away as a tear rolled down her cheek when she finished putting on the dressing, "I'm sorry too," She choked.

"It's okay." Was all Sherlock said, an air of understanding around him.

And then he did something that neither of them expected him to do, he gently, slowly, wrapped his arm around her, despite the pain, in a friendly embrace, which she didn't refuse. They stayed like that for a couple of minutes as she cried quietly and Sherlock just held her, and reassured her it would be okay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 188 9
Despairing of the ingenuity of London's criminals, Sherlock Holmes accepts what appears to be an ordinary case and discovers that a mastermind is at...
164K 6.8K 16
It's been 2 years since the Reichenbach fall, and John is a mess. Recent events have motivated Sherlock to reunite with his doctor, but things don't...
250K 8.9K 60
"The game, Mrs Hudson, is on!" ~~~ "Tax- ugh." Sherlock says getting cut off as another body runs into him, the other person falling to the ground. "...
344K 8.8K 51
Imagines + Preferences from the BBC show Sherlock *COMPLETED*