A black rose in the desert

By amyhunnam

Some people find true love easy, some people battle endlessly to find it, some give up, and some never do at... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter tweenty one
Chapter twenty two
Chapter Twenty three
Chapter Twenty four
Chapter twenty six
Chapter twenty seven
Chapter twenty eight
Chapter twenty nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter Thirty one
Chapter thirty two
Chapter thirty three
Chapter thirty four
Chapter Thirty five
Chapter thirty six
Chapter thirty seven
Chapter thirty eight
Chapter thirty nine
Chapter fourty
Chapter fourty one
Chapter fourty two
Chapter fourty three
Chapter fourty four Epilogue
Author's Note
Appreciation!!!!!

Chapter twenty five

2.6K 247 2
By amyhunnam

Amal's POV
I packed up my books as the class ended... of course I didn't understand a word, it was hard enough staying focused.
I checked the time and the day had gone by so fast... it was already 2:30pm... I refused to go out for lunch, I knew Jason was walking around eggshells with me.. careful not to trigger the pain.

He knew how I dealt with pain more than anyone... first, I cry an ocean of tears... as I pray... alone.
Second, denial... I pretend everything is okay and move on.
Third, I try to stitch up the wound without treating it... i.e I move on without ever confronting my anger.
If you try to stop my process... and I don't want to act on it.. I move to plan B... i.e I became an emotionless beast... and only a very limited number of people can get me out of that cage once I get in.

"Hey! So how did it go??" I asked Jason as I caught up with him

"It was ait... I mean I did get an A so..." he said flaunting his rolls of landscape drawings that he had been working on.

"Good for you smartass!!! Now I have mine to look forward to... which is in two friggin days and I still have ALOT to work on!" I complained and whined as we walked home.
He did not suggest the cafe because he knew I was avoiding Jasmine.

I do not blame her for her brother's actions, but right now... I do not want a single reminder of him.
He still hadn't called or texted and it hurts like a stab in the heart... but I guess I wasn't even worth that.

"Wanna talk about it?" Jason asked nervously and I realized I had zoned out.

"You know better than to ask that..." I simply stated and he understood.

We arrived at my place and because I could literally do anything to keep my mind occupied... I got cooking and Jason helped... well not really, he just made more mess. I mean staying with me for all those years you would think he at least learned how to boil the friggin pasta... argh

After lunch we played video games and FaceTime with our parents... of course when the asked about my lifeless poofy ex-crying face... we just told them we had exams around the corner and it has been stressful.

I noticed that Jason's phone kept on vibrating and told him it was okay to get it.
"You should answer that..." I suggested
"It's Jessica..." he trailed... ahhh! The psycho girlfriend.

"You can't avoid her forever you know..." as much as I'd like him to do that... I know he still has feelings for her.
"It's sad how we are both so unlucky with love..." I added with a sad smile... swallowing the lump that was forming in my throat.

"If only it was us against the world..." he trailed. For a few seconds I saw the sincerity in his face... masked with an emotion I couldn't quite pin point. It was as if he actually meant what he said... I was about to ask when he shouted... the F word.

"Shit!!" He muttered again looking at his phone.. sudden anger so evident on his face even I felt goosebumps.

"Jessica is in town... in front of my apartment." He muttered as if tasting the bitterness of his own words.
To say I wasn't surprised was an understatement... I knew this day would come.

"Took her long enough..." I say amusingly to a now VERY pissed looking Jason.
"How did she know your address thou.?" I asked knowing he wasn't stupid to just give it to her.

"One time she didn't believe I was home so she demanded I sent her my GPS location... God how could I be so stupid!!!!" He yelled at himself.

"You should go to her...." I reminded him.

"I'm not leaving you by yourself!" He said firmly and I appreciated how I always came first.

"I'll be fine!!!! Besides... I have a project to finish remember? And you are a distraction anyway!" I explained.
In all honesty, I didn't want him to leave, but I knew Jessica... I am not in the state of mind to tolerate her. So I'd rather just stay alone

"I'll come by tomorrow I promise!"
"Just don't bring that bimbo here or I might just kill her for you." I said sternly and he just laughed... like I am the psycho!

After he left I decided to work on my project... I was looking for my color palette when I found my birthday presents... I remembered he made me promise not to open it until I got home from the party.. what a laugh

Now I don't even want to open it anymore... I shoved it back inside the closet. Maybe when I am finally leaving... after school, I'll probably send it back to him before going back to Nigeria... whatever it was... I didn't want it.

After hours of working...I realized that I needed some supplies and I was in such a zeal to draw I didn't want to stop, so I decided to go to the nearby bookstore to get some.
————
The store wasn't so far... I walked and enjoyed the cool evening breeze... trying to think of anything and everything but him.
I could already feel my jeans getting loose. I should probably find a way to relief my tensed rage. Perhaps the gym

I was trying to reach some hardboards on the top shelf, cursing and wishing I had heels on today when I felt someone behind me and I quickly moved for them.

"Let me help you with that.." the man said as he grabbed the items so effortlessly because he was friggin tall... I looked up to say thank you and I regretted it because now I'm staring at a very cute brown skin nigga.

I immediately averted my eyes and just walked away after mumbling a thank you. I am NOT in the mood for another episode of "how my heart got broken"
I made a mental note to myself from that moment.
Get your degree... get tha hell out of here and never look back.
I was chanting that in my head as I paid for the items and walked out...

"Don't I At least deserves to know a beautiful girl's name?" He followed in an amused tone and I didn't want to be rude.

"It's Amal and I really have to go... I'm sorry" I say not even looking at his direction.

He moved so quickly and stood in-front of me.. making me stop in my tracks.

"I'm Abdallah... nice to meet you Amal..." he said with the most dashing smile... on a normal day... I would have been sweating and all swooning on him... on a normal day I would have been mentally jumping in my red sweatpants because this fine man is smiling at me..

I was about to say something when a car came screeching and parked in front of us. It was a matte black BMW i8 and if I wasn't so scared of who could be inside the car... I'd probably be drooling

The door opened and I wished I had ran before. It was fucking Khalid and he looked like he was about to kill someone....

He glanced at me for a few seconds... before he looked at the man standing next to me

"Get in!" He ordered still looking at Abdallah. What? Who does he think he is?

"No!" I say firmly... I'm not his puppet.

"Get in Amal or so help me God I will put you in there myself!" He warned.. obviously trying to control his temper

I froze... knowing fully well he was capable of that... "you wouldn't.." I trailed

"Try me..."

"I'm not going anywhere wi...."

"One..." he started counting. Wtf?????

"I wi......"

"Two."

"I hate you!" I said angrily as I got into the car... the satisfaction on his face was evident! Asshole

I didn't want to make a scene... people were already watching and some even took their phones out to record.
He said something to Abdallah I couldn't hear and he walked away.

He walked in and didn't say shit and he just started driving.

"You better be taking me home or I swear I'll jump out." I stated not even looking at him.. I was so angry my voice was shaking... I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of crying in front of him. I didn't want him to know it affected me this much.

"We need to talk.. and if I drive you home you wouldn't let me in... I'm not stupid." He said looking straight ahead as he sped off.

"Just get me home. Please... I don't feel so good." I was now trembling... my eyes were probably bloodshot and when he glanced over... he got scared... good!

I was so sure he was taking me home... but instead, we took some turns I did not understand... he dialed a number on his phone and spoke very shortly
"Come over in 5 minutes" and he ended it.
I knew he wasn't taking me home... so I did the only thing I could think of...

I secretly texted Jasmine... "help me"
I wanted to get Jason... but he had problems of his own now...

I didn't comprehend until we arrived at a massive modern house that would have had me excited to explore if the circumstances were different.

I stepped out of the car and stood there... firmly. I was not about to get in that house with him... I would fight him if I had to

"Say whatever you want here... I am not going in!" I said in a monotone. He stared at me for what felt like an eternity...

"I'm sorry..." he finally spoke... sounding so defeated...

I snorted...

"I wish I could tell you why... but I can't... Amal I love you... I love you more than I could ever explain..."

"Yet I'm not even worth the truth..." I stated and he looked so sad... that's when I noticed how lean he had become in just 3 days... his eyes had bags under them... his hair was everywhere... he hadn't even shaved...
I felt bad... maybe he really is going through something.

A car drove in and I didn't have to turn to know who it was... Jasmine rushed out and stood a few feet away... next to Nabeel.

"You know I would try and understand if you just tell me what's going on..." I said assuringly... I felt like I at least deserved to know what went wrong.

Khalid just stared  at me... as if wanting to say something but contemplating if he should or not.

I just sighed...
"I'm always the one who loves more.. that's my problem." I say with a sad smile and walked away... I got into the car and Jasmine drove off... Nabeel stayed back with Khalid.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 4.8K 18
They were only supposed to be acting, it should all have been pretense, so how dare she fall in love. Falling in love wasn't part of the agreement...
61.4K 5.1K 29
"You and I both know, that skin colour matters." She pointed out. "It doesn't matter to me, or to you. And it didn't matter to your parents." He argu...
1.3M 54.8K 39
I fell in love. I fell in love with a fairytale. Oh Yes I did. You know that one story that gives every little girl hope out there that good things c...
32.8K 3.7K 25
Love is a strong feeling of affection, idolization, adulation, endearment and adoration. Love is happiness and love is delight. As a young Muslimah...