Like He Never Left

Door blondeinjeans

"Listen, son. You've got a great girl waiting for you. Do her a favor and don't mess it up this time." I star... Meer

!!Warning!!
better blurb
playlist
cast
character aesthetics
prologue
Chapter 1: The Asshole Returns
Chapter 2: Don't Be Ridiculous
Chapter 3: Consider Me a Dumbass
Chapter 5: Chicken
Chapter 6: Bone to Pick
Chapter 7: Snap Dragons
Chapter 8: Distance
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
New Announcements!
The End
THANK YOU

Chapter 4: The Truth

410 11 3
Door blondeinjeans

I took another lap around the small town, deciding to stop at Clint's on the way home for dinner.

Today's Thursday, and I honestly can't wait to go home. Because I didn't bring any case work with me, I don't have anything to occupy myself with, so I've been with either Tommy or my father or talking to Brooke on the phone. I only have three more days left of this place. I've decided to leave on Sunday rather than Monday. There's just no reason for me to stay here anymore.

As I pass by the church after dinner, my phone rings. I check the caller ID and answer it.

"Hey, beautiful," I answer, walking over to a sidewalk bench and sitting down to try to catch my breath.

"Hey, baby. What's going on? You sound a little breathless," she chuckles.

"Just out running," I tell her.

"Right. I was just calling to see what you were up to. I miss you up here," she whines playfully. I laugh because that's exactly what the folks down here have been saying since my temporary return. Her tone of voice also sounds like Tommy's kid, Alan. I can even imagine the childlike pout she must be wearing on those pink lips of hers.

"You sound like my friend's kid down here. I miss you, too. I've got a surprise for you."

"What is it? Am I going to like it?"

"I think you'll love it. I booked a trip home for Sunday instead of Monday. I miss you and Boston too much to stay any longer."

She's silent for a couple seconds before she answers.

"Cole, you don't have to do that. Stay and visit with your family. You guys haven't seen each other for seven years. You have all the time in the world with me when you come back home to Boston. Is it really that bad down there?"

I'm stunned by her statement. I would have thought she'd been happy that I'm coming home.

"It's not bad down here. There's just no reason for me to stay here. I've done what I came here to do."

I hear her blow out a breath on the other side.

"If that's what you want, Cole."

Cole. Colt.

"It is, Brooke. I've gotta run, but I'll see you Sunday evening, okay?"

"Okay."

"All right. I'll talk to you later. I love you."

"I love you. Oh, and Cole?" I wait for her to continue. "Nice accent."

What?

I go to question her about this accent that I certainly do not have, but the line's dead.

I need to get out of here.

I guess it would make sense that I have the southern drawl in my speech again. I mean, it was my first speech pattern, and being surrounded by people who speak it certainly couldn't have helped.

Oh god.

I put my phone back in my pocket and start walking home.

And then my phone goes off again.

"Hey, Tommy."

"You doing anything tonight or at the moment? They need help setting up for the festival tomorrow. I said I would call you to see if you'd be able to help. We're either heading to Soda Pop afterward or going back to the old field and having a tailgate bonfire. You down?"

I can't remember the last time that I had to do manual labor, but that doesn't cross my mind before I agree to help him out.

"Of course I will. I'm on my way now. Same place?"

"Where else?"

I laugh and hang up. I don't bother getting the rental car because of how close my dad's house is to where they hold the festival. They use an old empty sandlot right down the street from the church and cemetery. They shut down the street and use it for parking.

"You smell something awful, Cole," Wes laughs, waving his hand in front of his nose quickly. I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. What do I need to do?" I ask, looking out at the hustle of everyone already here. Wes looks out at the lot, too, scanning for something for me to do.

Tommy and another man are putting together a stage and dance floor for the band that plays every year. Josie, SueEllen, and a few kids are pitching a tent over a large picnic area, and Bobby and some others are helping set up activities and games.

"You can help Tommy. Unless you'd rather help the girls set up a picnic area with those baby arms. God forbid you get a blister or callous on those pretty girl hands," he snickers. He can obviously tell that I haven't had to use my hands in a while.

"So chauvinistic. You know that if one of them had actually heard you, you'd be down a tooth, right?" I tell him. He only laughs and walks away in acknowledgment, so I take that as my cue to head over to the boys and help.

I hammer and staple and drag beams till well after the sun goes down. If I thought that I was sweaty during my run, I was dripping now. I'd taken off my shirt and tossed it where the other guys had tossed theirs. I was left in only my basketball shorts and muddy sneakers. Someone sets up Tiki torches and fairy lights to keep the light, and I notice the radio volume has been turned up. Any kid that had been here to help has long since gone to bed, so it's just us adults left.

My body is sore, but my heart has never been better. I don't quite know what it is about the classic country music playing or the hard work of our community, but it's a sight for sore eyes and rejuvenates my soul.

"Tommy Alan Turner you get your sweaty ass off of me right now!" I hear a feminine voice yell, and I look to see Tommy holding SueEllen tightly against his sweaty body, laughing his head off.

"You never minded before," he says with a suggestive glint in his eyes. SueEllen's eyes widen, and her body freezes before she fights against him with vigor. This only makes him laugh harder. He lets her slip through his arms, and she straightens herself out with a huff and turns to face him.

"Jackass!" she shouts, though I can tell that she isn't too mad.

"You love me."

"Only the Lord knows why."

"I didn't hear a denial."

I shift my attention away when I see that it's becoming a private moment, and I notice how parched I am.

I grab a beer from the cooler, pop the top off, and take a nice chug from it. A satisfied "Ahh" leaves my lips.

I look around the sandlot to see if there's anything else to be done, but it looks almost transformed. There are pony rides, sans ponies for now, games and other activities, food stands, and the picnic area with the dance floor and stage next to it.

"Looks just fine, doesn't it?" I jump in response, not expecting to be shaken out of my trance. I look over to see who interrupted my thoughts is, and I see it's June.

"Jesus, June. What was that for?" I breathe out.

"Always one for dramatics," she says with a grin. "Can't I just say hi to an old friend?"

"I guess so." I shrug. I realize my bad manners and clear my throat. "How have you been?"

"Right as rain, I suppose. My girl, Whitney, can't wait for the festival tomorrow. She found out that Wes and I were coming here instead of with her to my mom's house, and she wasn't happy that she wasn't able to help out," she chuckles.

"It's crazy that you have a little girl. Jesus, and two boys, too. I swear just yesterday we were all romping around this very sandlot in the mud after a rainstorm. She sounds like a pistol," I comment.

"I know. I think it's crazy that you don't. But not everyone is from a small town where you get married right outta high school and are expected to have kids within the next couple years."

I wince. "Not at all," I agree, "One of my coworkers is 40. Not married and no kids, but she's one of the happiest people I've ever known." June nods.

"Kids aren't for everyone. They're gross and whiny for most of the time they live with you and then they're gone in the blink of an eye. Whitney loves to pretend that she's one of the older girls, and that time will be here for her before either of us know it."

"I guess you gotta appreciate what you have while you got it."

She gives me a knowing look.

"That's good advice, Colt," she says, and then she pats my shoulder and walks away.

Damn you, June. As if I don't feel torn already.

I finish the rest of the beer in the bottle and toss it out bitterly.

"Hey, Cole. We're about to leave for Soda Pop. You still down?" Bobby asks, bounding over to me.

"Of course. I'm gonna have to bum a ride from someone though. I was out on a run when Tommy called, so I just ran here. The rental car is at my dad's place."

"I'd give you a ride, but my car is full. You can ask Tommy, but I think his truck is full, too. We all carpooled here."

"It's fine, Bobby. I can walk."

"You can ask Josie," he suggests. No way. Not with how we left off the other day. I couldn't do that. I don't know what he sees on my face—apprehension, confusion, straight-up no—but he gives me a soft look.

"Don't worry about it, pal. I'll ask her for you," he states.

"What? No! Bobby—" But he's already making his way to Josie, who's sitting on top of a table with a few other people, head back laughing.

I could make her laugh like that once.

In.

The.

Past!

"Hey, Josie, I have a question for—"

"Bobby, please," I practically beg, grabbing his shoulder.

"Down, boy." He pushes me off and then turns to Josie, who's still wearing an easy smile while watching my predicament go down. "Cole here wants to go to Soda Pop with us but was out on a run and ran here after he got Tommy's call. I can't give him a ride, and neither can Tommy, but I know that you came here by yourself. Would you mind taking him for us?"

"Not at all, Bobby." She shakes her head with a smile. She looks at me with the same smile, and I can't tell if she's forcing it or not. "You ready to go?"

I nod.

We walk to her truck, and I feel the urge to get in on the driver's side, just cause that's how it always was between us, especially in this truck. I drove, and she oversaw the radio and made sure that Johnny didn't jump out of the back.

She climbs in after unlocking her side and then reaches over to unlock my side.

"Thanks," I tell her after I close the door behind me.

"Don't mention it," she says. She puts the truck in reverse and slings her right arm over the back of my seat to help her look behind the truck, turning the wheel expertly to go where she wants it to.

I can't lie, it might have turned me on a little bit.

Too much, too much, too much.

Then she puts it in first, keeping her right hand loosely on the gear shifter. She's silent as we wait in the traffic to pull out of the lot. Not that it's traffic compared to Boston, but it is all the same.

"It's weird—being on the passenger side when you're behind the wheel. Am I in charge of the radio now?" I joke. I was trying to get rid of some of the tension, but I don't know if that could've come out any more awkward. Good job, Cole.

She does let out a small smirk, and I'll take it over nothing. She shrugs.

"If you want to that badly. Make it good." She makes a left-hand turn, and I switch on the radio. The station on is the one I remember her loving. It was a good mix of country and some classic rock songs. It was the one that I had to change while I was driving home from the airport.

About 30 seconds went by of awkward tension and silence afterward, and I can tell that there's something on Josie's mind. She keeps glancing at me out of the corner of her eye, and I want to tell her to just come out and say it.

"I want to apologize for the other night," she starts, looking me in the eye for a quick second. "I said some nasty things out of spite and anger." I shake my head and scoff. Sure, she wasn't overly happy with me the other night, but I couldn't blame her.

"I accept your apology, but it—"

"Just shut up and accept the damn apology, Cole. You always were one for dramatics." She forces a laugh for both our sakes and uses her free hand to shove me lightly on my shoulder, and I take the hint.

"Fine, fine, I accept your apology. You were always one for violence, but you don't have to hit me anymore." She gives a tiny smile but doesn't continue the conversation.

Not that silence is bad, but I don't like silence with her, especially since I know how hard it is for her to shut up.

"So," I begin to break the silence, "I keep meaning to visit your parents and just say hi. How have they been doing?" I miss the gulp she swallows, but not how she freezes up.

"Mom's fine." She doesn't say anything more until we pull into Soda Pop. At least 10 red flags are going up. I know she's holding something back.

She puts the truck in park, turns to me, and sighs. Her eyes glance toward the building and then to me.

"Listen, Colt-Cole!" she corrects quickly like she did something wrong. "You know that explosion that killed Wes's dad overseas?"

I nod slowly, not liking where this is going.

"Well. . .Cole," she swallows, looking at her hands in her lap. "Dad was in it, too. He died trying to save files and information. He's gone."

I blink.

No, he isn't. John is invincible and strong and fast and not dead.

She must see the disbelief on my face, because she puts her hand on my shoulder, squeezes, and says, "He is, Cole. He's gone. I'm so sorry for not telling you. I didn't have any way to reach you. I didn't even know where you were. I'm so sorry, Cole."

John, dead. The man who built our treehouse, who gave me my first car, who gave my first wife away, who raised me just as much as my own father.

I feel like I've been shot, like my heart was in that explosion, too.

I should have been here for her.

Josie's mouth is moving, but I can't focus on what she's saying. I shake my head frantically. No.

Keeping her grip on my shoulder, she scoots closer to me. Josie puts one hand on my cheek and pushes my face so that I'm forced to focus on her, and then grabs my other hand in hers, placing it over her heart. It's what she had been doing to calm me down for years.

"Look at me, Cole Roberts. Look at me. Feel my heart? Just breathe, baby. It's okay, I promise. It's going to be okay. In and out." Her eyes hold such earnest and sincerity in them that I can't help but feel my heartbeat slow down and my breathing deepen.

I nod with her slowly.

My mind is spinning so quickly that I don't even realize what she called me.

"He was a good man. Everyone knows that. There was nothing anyone could do, okay?"

"I should've been here." My voice is so croaky from trying to hold back the lump in my throat. A flash of emotion runs through her expression, but it's quickly gone.

"I know, baby, but you weren't. No one blames you for not being here. This town was a wreck when they died. No one wanted to be in it. Just breathe."

I listen to her words. I catch onto what she called me this time. I don't even think she realizes the term of endearment that she used to call me, but honestly, I couldn't care less. I don't need to start up more trouble just because of an old habit.

A moment later, I return to a semi-decent state of mind.

I look down at her, seeing her worried expression and her hand still holding my palm against her heart.

"It's been seven years, and you can still calm me down like no one else," I comment quietly, looking down.

Her eyes widen a fraction, and she practically jumps away from me.

"Oh my God." A look of disbelief crosses her face. "It was just instinct, I swear." She looks at me like she's done something wrong, which she hasn't. It was totally innocent and of pure intention.

Even if she did call me 'baby.'

"You didn't do anything wrong, Josie. You did what you had to do and that helped me," I reassure her. She nods with me, thinking.

"Are you okay to go inside? I can take you home if you want."

"No, I'm fine. I just need a minute. It's a lot to wrap my head around, ya know?"

"More than you'd think. Do you want to me to go in to be by yourself? I can stay with you if you want," she offers sincerely.

I want her to stay with me. More than anything else at the moment, but I also know us. We have a long history together, and I don't want either of us to get the wrong idea or become attached again. It's not fair to my girlfriend in Boston.

"I think I'll be alright. I just need a quiet minute and then I'll be fine. Thank you though."

I watch her eyes harden, but her lips curve into an understanding smile regardless.

"Of course. What do you want me to tell them?"

"The truth."

Her eyes squint in confusion.

These people are good and honest and deserve the 100 percent truth.

Josie nods and gets out of the truck. She leans against the door with an assuring expression, nods twice, and walks away.

As soon as her back is turned, I sink against the seat and exhale deeply.

What. The. Hell.

I need to get out of here. Soon. ASAP. I don't want to stay here anymore because the longer I stay, the more attached I become to not only the town, but the people in it.

Josie was right. It doesn't look like it, but things have changed. And I don't know if that's a good thing or not yet.

A couple minutes later, I spot the group at a pool table with an assortment of drinks. Josie spots me first as she's facing the door and waves me over. I'm at the table for hardly three seconds before Wes pulls me into him in a crushing hug. I'm surprised but embrace him back. Tommy claps me on the shoulder in acknowledgement of what he just learned that I learned, but no one says anything about it, which I appreciate.

I don't let it stop me from having fun, either. Josie acts as 'bartender' by going and refilling our drinks for all of us, and we have been at the karaoke station for far longer than I care to admit. I've also been up there more times than I care to count. No one is going to remember it except for Josie anyway, and who is she going to tell?

"Come on, Josieeee! Let's dance!" Carrie Ann slurs, standing suddenly. She grabs Josie by the crook of her elbow and pulls her up. In her rush, her drink sloshes out of its glass and right into her lap. Josie jumps up out of shock and starts grabbing napkins from the table and dabbing at the beer.

"I'm so sorry! I just wanted to dance! Can we still be friends?" Carrie Ann sobs.

"Watch where you're going next time, Carrie Ann, you mess," June shouts. "Josie feels bad enough as it is not drinking, and you go and spill your shit all over her. How insensitive!"

Oh boy.

I'm pretty buzzed, but I know that where this is going is not going to be comfortable for any of us.

"Now who's inserti-inconceiva-incessa-whatever! It's not everyone's business that she doesn't drink anymore!" Carrie Ann fires back.

Tommy and I share a look and start to pull the girls apart.

And Bobby is still up singing Shania.

By the time we pull them apart, they're apologizing profusely to each other and going on about how friendship is more important than fighting. I doubt they even remember what they were arguing about.

"Well that's quite the lovefest," SueEllen comments. "I'm gonna go check up on Josie."

I didn't even realize she was gone. She probably went to the bathroom to clean herself up.

Bobby comes back down from the karaoke bar and plops down onto a chair.

"Y'all, that was my best one yet! Shania would be so jealous that I can sing her songs better than she can," he says proudly. Tommy gives him a light shove on the shoulder, and he's so off balance that he falls right over onto the floor by my feet.

"This is comfy," he announces and proceeds to snuggle into my legs.

"Gross, man. Get your paws off of me," I shoot at him, prying myself out of his clutches.

"It's definitely time to go home," Wes groans. I agree silently.

"I'll take Carrie Ann and Bobby home and have Josie follow—hey, Josie, I'm gonna take Bobby and Carrie Ann home. Will you follow me in their car?" Tommy says. I turn to Josie with her arms crossed around her stomach, SueEllen's hand in the crook of her elbow.

"Of course. Are you okay to drive? I'm fine with uber duty," she offers.

"I'm fine, I swear. I wouldn't suggest it if I wasn't." Josie nods, knowing our friend is telling the truth. I don't think I saw him drinking more than a beer. "I'll get Bobby outside if you get Carrie Ann."

Ten minutes later, they come back together, doing the same thing with Wes and June.

In the twenty minutes they're gone, I've knocked back a few more shots of tequila. I'm nursing a beer on the steps outside when they come back.

Josie and Tommy lug me into Josie's truck and close the door behind me. They exchange a few words before she reaches up to kiss him on the cheek before walking away to the driver's side

What the hell?

Doesn't she know I'm right behind her?
God I'm so tired. So tired. My head hurts.

"Alrighty, let's getcha home," she says as she pulls out of the parking lot behind Tommy.

"I don't want to go home."

"But I do. I want my bed. You need to sleep. You're gonna have one hell of a hangover in the morning."

"Is it the same bed?"

She looks over at me with the strangest look, and I can't help but laugh at her. I feel like someone gave me way too much of the loopy juice.

"What the hell kind of a question is that?"

"You look like an ostrich," I say matter-of-factly. Her nose pulls the whole look together I swear.

"Jesus, Cole," she mutters. "You've always been a pain in the ass when you're drunk."

"You're a pain in my ass," I counter.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah!"

I go on to babble aimlessly, which Josie ignores, but I don't even notice. I just keep rambling until we're at my dad's house.

"—and then I told him it was a scam anyway and hey I told you I don't wanna go home!" I whine.

"And I told you I want my bed." She opens her car door and gets out, standing beside her truck facing me.

"Well I don't remember, so it doesn't count." I cross my arms and leans back into the seat.

"Child!" she groans with frustation, throwing her hands up in the air. She pinches the bridge of her nose. "If not home, then where?"

"Anywhere."

"No. I'm tired, Cole. Let's go before I call Travis."

"Oooh, you're threatening me. I'm a grown man, I can take it." I hmph for emphasis.

"Fine." She reaches into her purse for her phone and pushes a few buttons.

Oh god. It wasn't an empty threat. Abort abort!

"Josie May!" I shriek before ripping her phone out of her hands and crushing it to my chest. "Too far, man. That's cold."

"Colt Michael Roberts get your ass out of my truck right now or so help me God you'll regret it!" she shouts, pointing at the house. She even stomps her foot, too.

Feisty.

I almost make a smart remark, but she gives me a look like she's ready to carve my liver, and I scurry out of the truck so fast I trip and fall, landing with an "Oof!"

"I'm out, I'm out, you crazy lady. Now you have to tuck me in," I yell from the ground. I stand up, take a step, and tumble right back down.

"Man, there's a reason gravity is a law. It's no joke."

I hear her grumble and then watch her peek around the side of the hood of the truck. She pulls me up and puts my arm around her shoulders, and one of hers around my waist. She clutches my arm around her shoulder, making sure I don't slip while taking on most of my weight. She tugs me through the front door and right up the stairs to my room.
She lets go of my wrist and lets me fall onto my bed. She yanks my shoes off and tugs the covers over me.

"This is not happening again, Cole. Goodnight." She pays my cheek twice and walks away.

"Josie May, wait!" She turns around and glares at me. "I just—I want to thank you for tonight. That's all."

Her gaze softens, and she chuckles.

"Anytime, moron."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight." She flips the lights off and closes my door, and I hear her shoes walking away. I listen to her truck rumble to life and pull away.

What a night.

↔↔↔

Sorry I took forever. One word. College.

So kind of a filler chapter. What are your thoughts?

I love Tommy and SueEllen. So much. Sigh.

XX Blondie XX

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

8.6M 360K 54
THANK YOU, Wattpad, for the HQ Love Watty Award! Concept: A mysterious young woman flees from her troubled past only to discover it is impossible to...
34.4K 690 47
********************************************** I stand up, not being able to handle this, "You're telling me, we're moving to some hick town in the m...
392K 6.8K 49
**Under revision sorry for all the grammar errors** Meet seventeen year old Addison Miller. She's the definition of your typical good girl. She is fo...