Mailboy (Wattys 2015 Winner)

By foreversmilin

first book in the Paperweight series. - ❝He thinks that if all that is wild and beautiful in the world wound... More

summary + characters
1. not so enchanted
2. Extraordinary.
3. Beautiful, Sarcastic Morning.
4. Made in Idiotland.
5. Disconnected.
6. PMS: Pissed, Messy and Sad
7. He's Not Yours
8. This is Considered as Kidnapping
9. The Nico Rollercoaster
10. Love Runs Out
11. Sleepy Discoveries.
12. Hugs, Chocolate and Fun.
13. End Up Here
14. Alone Together
15. The City
16. Cooler than Me
17. Can't Stand It
18. Running In Circles
19. Yesterday
20. New York
ONE SHOT COMPETITION
21. Stomach in Knots
22. Rather Be
24. Blank Space
25. The Love Club
26. All About You
27. Out of Style
28. Gasoline
29. Heart Out.
30. Turning Page
what even
sequel
completed series

23. Breakeven

445K 15.7K 11.5K
By foreversmilin

these past chapters have been the calm before the storm. be aware of the ending of this chapter.

“Can I lay by your side, next to you, you. And make sure you're alright, I'll take care of you.” –Sam Smith

Zoey Willow Hunter

            MY entire body felt numb, yet when I moved, it hurt. I felt like a tractor had ran over my body, but I wasn’t dead. My nose was heavy and crust had formed around my eyes. A sharp pain was taking over my brain, I couldn’t think straight. Moving my hand hurt. Involuntary tears fell from my eyes, yet I was far from sad. An abnormal chill ran through my body, I felt like my body had been tossed in a bucket of ice cold water.  

“Hunter?” said someone.

It took me all the effort in the world to open my eyes and face the painful light of early morning. “Yeah?” I managed to say, my throat complaining.

“You’re shivering,” said Nico, looming over me. “Are you sick?”

I was overcome by a fit of coughing, which seemed to hurt my entire body. “No s-shit, Sherlock.”

He put a hand over my forehead, “You’re freezing. You’re sick, Hunter.”

“I just told you I was,” I sounded like an old man.

I heard some shuffling in the room and he came back, holding his covers and pillow. He put the covers over me and tucked me in. I was too tired to protest at his act of kindness. He lifted my head gently and put a pillow under it. Right away, I felt warmer.

“Are you wearing socks?” he asked.

“Do. I don’t wear socks in de middle of sumber.”

“A simple no would have sufficed,” he said, shaking his head. He finds a pair of balled socks in my suitcase and puts them to my view. “Would you be able to put these on by yourself?”

“Maybe,” I said, trying to reach my feet from under the covers. “Do.”

“Fuck,” he cussed. Grabbing my bare feet from under the covers, he put my socks on them and put them back under the layers of warmth.

Nico came close, “I’ll be back with medicine. Would you do me a favor and not die while I’m gone?”

I replied by closing my eyes and slipping off into slumber once more. Except during my small nap, I was restless. My neck hurt and no position seemed to relieve the lack of comfort. Nico was back sooner than I though, holding bags from a place called Duane Reade, which I hoped was a pharmacy. He held a tray from the hotel and set it on the bedside. I could see a bowl of soup on it.

“Sit up,” he commanded.

I obliged, observing him carefully. How was he handling this so calmly? Why was he helping me? He could have just gone out for the day, until the ceremony.

The ceremony. How was I supposed to enjoy my time and look good tonight and pretend to party with mail people if I couldn’t get out of bed?

“I need to pee,” I mumbled, trying to stand up. Once I had set my feet on the floor and pushed myself to get up, black spots appeared in front of my eyes. I felt myself lose balance and almost fall back on the bed.

Nico steadied me by taking my hand, “Weak Zorro isn’t my favorite Zorro,” He said. He slid his hands under my knees and lift me up with ease, walking to the bathroom.

I finished my business and washed my face, not bothering to care about my appearance. I probably looked like what got out of a cow’s rear end. One thing I learned was that when you’re sick, nothing matters other than trying to get better.

Once I had gotten back in bed, I sat up on the pillows Nico had arranged. He put the tray on my lap and pushed the bowl of steaming soup towards me. The heat dissolved of the cold temperature in my body.

I took the spoon and ate the soup slowly. There was no denying, it was delicious, despite the fact that I couldn’t smell any of it. There was chicken and vegetables, warming my throat.

“Thank you,” I said, giving Nico a smile. He had taken a chair and sat next to my bed, taking out two pills of some medicine. He opened a bottle of water.

He gave me the bottle and the pills, “You’re welcome.”

“How did you—I mean like how do you—” I said, after swallowing the pills and water. I trusted him with whatever he was giving me, he seemed like he knew what he was doing.

“My mum’s immune system was weak. She got a fever every month and dad worked during the weekends sometimes. Someone had to take care of her.”

Statement of the day: Nico B. Forrest was a sweetheart.

After blowing my nose for the tenth time in two hours, I melted into the bed once more, “Thanks again. Wake me up in an hour; I need to get ready for the ceremony.”

“It’s in five hours,” he protested, “Why would you need that much time to get ready?”

“Because,” was my only response before drifting off.  

A while later, I had my eyes closed but I was half-conscious of what was going on. The chill in my body had been replaced by unbearable heat. I threw the covers off me and tried to stop sweating. The door swung open and I heard Walters&Bea come in.

“She’s sick, isn’t she?” said Walters, patting my hair and feeling my forehead.

“Yeah. I’ve done all I could,” said Nico. “She’s burning up again though.”

“Try putting the towel method,” offered Walters. “Bea, honey, would you?”

“No,” said Nico, “I’ve got her. I don’t want any of you to get sick.”

“But you’ll get sick,” objected the tender voice belonging to Bea.

Nico chuckled, “I’ve dealt with this enough to develop a wall against it. Don’t worry about it.”  

Walters mumbled something to Bea about wanting to talk to Nico. They thought I was asleep. I cracked my eyes open the slightest bit. Walters took a seat on Nico’s bed. I could feel my hair curl up because of the excessive warmth through out my body.

“Can you take care of her?” asked Walters.

Nico rolled his eyes, “Of course I can.”

“I hope she’ll be fine before tonight,” commented the mailman.

“Me too.”

“I wanted to tell you something,” started Walters, “How did Zoey ask you to come here with her?”

Nico scrunched up his face, “She demanded me to come with her. She said I had to, since I was helping her with the mail.”

“Kid, the mail invitation only extends to one delivery person and whomever you want to bring with you.”

Walters, I mentally whined, Can you not?

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“That means she could have invited Skye, Lucy, her mom or anyone else. Yet she chose you.”

Thank you, Walters.

“And?”

Walters groaned in frustration, “You’re so dense, Nico.”

“Hey! What did I do to you?”

“You’re being oblivious to her feelings to you.”

Nico scoffed, “What feelings?”

I agreed with Nico. There was a part in my brain which exclaimed in an extremely high voice: well—

My mouth was parched. A drop of water could easily save my life at the moment. Maybe I could get the bottle without breaking their conversation? I stuck out my hand and grabbed the water bottle, but failed. It fall on the ground, causing an attraction of Walters’ and Nico’s attentions.

“Feel better, kid. Call me if you need anything. I’ll see you tonight,” said Walters, giving me a smile. He walked out, leaving Nico and I alone.

“Wader, please?”

Nico gave me the bottle, eyes glued on me. “How are you feeling?”

“Like I’m hot,” I managed a smile, reaching for a tissue, “In both ways.”

I shut up at his stare, “You’re burning up again, Hunter.”

“In both ways?” I threw the used tissue away in the trashcan beside my bed.

“I liked you better asleep.”

He went in the bathroom and came back, holding a small plastic box with cool water and a towel. He sat next to me and folded the towel, rinsed the extra water in it and put it on my forehead.

I resisted the urge to groan, “Thank you.”

“Stop thanking me and get better.”

“Okay.”

Time passed by and Nico continued what he was doing. He would put the cold, damp cloth on my forehead, rinse it out and change the water to make it colder until I felt less hot.

I fell asleep for real this time. I had a vague memory of the covers being lifted to secure my body. I snuggled in them, burying my face in the pillow. I didn’t know if I was dreaming or if this was reality.

A soft kiss was placed on my forehead by familiar lips. I smiled.

-        

“Zoey? Wake up. Hun, wake up!” I felt a hand on my arm, shaking me roughly.

I opened my eyes and saw Bea. She was holding a beige colored dress, her blonde hair streaked with gray messily done in a French bun. Her eyes were emphasized with eyeliner. She looked beautiful; she must have been a goddess in her teen years. 

The weariness I held wore off a little, the sleep I had gotten did me good. I glanced at the clock and my mouth dropped, “It is 7, Bea!” My stuffed nose made it very difficult to breathe.

“I know,” she chuckled, putting lipstick on in the mirror.

I got out of bed quicker than Road Runner, “I only have one hour to get ready!”

“You were impossible to wake up,” she said, “Nico and my dear husband went in our room to get ready. Hurry up.”

The next hour was a blur. I had showered, washing off the remains of the fever, gotten dressed, curled my hair into soft waves and was currently applying the last make up touches. I normally never put that much make up, but tonight was the night to look amazing.

Knocks on the door made me jump. I looked down at my outfit for the last time, pride and confidence filling me. It was a minty blue dress, reaching my knees. The material was gentle and hugging my waist, then it got loose and princess-twirling in the ends. I wore white heels with a brown belt right above the ankle. 

Bea gave me a wink and thumbs up. “Ready?”

“Ready,” I affirmed.

The door opened and two handsome men stood behind it. Walters wore a brand new suit and trimmed his small beard, which Bea smiled at. He gave her the onceover and kissed her.

“You look like you fell out of heaven,” complimented Walters to his wife, a cheesy twinkle in his eyes. She hit his arm playfully.

“I fell right on you, you big cheese ball,” she replied, glowing.

Nico stepped into the room, looking at me vigilantly. “How are you feeling?”

“A lot better,” I smiled, “Thank you for helping me and taking care of me. I don’t know what I would have done without you.”

“We’re friends, right?” he answered, “That’s what we do.” The look in his eyes reminded me of the one Walters had. His eyes skimmed my outfit and his cheeks became a lovely shade of raspberry.

“You look…good, Hunter.”

Good? That was all he had to say?

Shove that up your butt, I thought.

“Thanks,” I said quietly, “You too.”

And he did look good. His hair was slicked back, but it still held the messy aspect. He wore a black suit, which he buttoned in the middle. Under that, there was a clean white shirt and a black tie.

All black suited him.

Walters gave me a warm smile, “Looking beautiful, Zoey.”

“Thank you, Walters!” I said, appreciating the compliment.

Nico stuck out his arm, “Let’s go to this ball?”

“Let’s,” I gladly put my arm in his.  I felt like shit because of the sickness, but I couldn’t be more excited. Butterflies flew around in the small space of my stomach.

Nico’s cologne filled my lungs, even though I wasn’t supposed to able to smell anything. His hold on my arm made my entire body tingle. I tried to focus my feelings on the ceremony and the awards to be presented tonight.

We stepped into the ballroom, as the other mail deliverers talked. They all looked amazing, all shining through their usual style. Jeanine was dressed in a big, poufy dress which I thought resembled a balloon. She seemed to only change the dresses’ colors every year. Her daughters were dressed similarly, though they didn’t seem too happy about it.

“Hello,” I greeted Jeanine, giving her a smile. “You look—great.”

She giggled, “Thank you dearie! So do you! It makes me emotional to see little Zoey grow up and have a figure!”

“Thanks,” I said politely, even though I never really liked my body. “Gina, Iris,” I addressed to her daughters, “You look beautiful.”

Gina glowered at me, but forced a smile. “Thanks, Zoey. You don’t look half bad yourself.”

“Gina, have you lost it? She looks fabulous,” grinned Iris. I noticed that her smile was genuine and it added to her beauty. Gina could definitely learn from her.

Levi walked towards us, dressed in a dark blue suit. His features brightened when he saw me, I gave him a smile. His charm was undeniable.

“Shit,” he cursed, as the adults drifted away.

“That’s what you are?” whispered Nico, only loud enough for me to hear.

I elbowed him. “Play nice.”

“But he’s “playing” annoying.”

Glaring at Nico, I turned back to Levi, whose eyes were still wide open. “What, Levi?”

“I’ve never seen anyone look anymore beautiful than you do right now.”

Cheesy, but effective enough to get me almost swooning. Gina scoffed and Iris giggled. Nico’s hold on my arm tightened.

“ATTENTION, EVERYONE!” shouted good old Mario Kelly into a microphone. He never seemed to age, he had been here to present the awards ever since I started going to them. “Please, take your seats!”

I blinked twice, trying to shake the heat surrounding my brain away. Walters guided us to our table. Levi sat further away with his father. Jeanine, her husband and daughters were sitting in another table, which I was having mixed emotions about. Walters, Bea, Nico and I took a seat on the table in front of the small stage.

“Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 50th Mail Appreciation Convention!” cried out Mario, as everyone applauded. 

He continued. “We have fifteen awards to be presented. Let’s just cut right to the chase, shall we?”

The first five passed by me quickly, my mind was hazy. It was only when Nico nudged me that I realized this was an award I could possibly win. We didn’t know for what we were nominated, the fun was in the surprise.

“Youngest Mailwoman,” said Mario in a teasing voice. “We have little Daisy Frock, Zoey Hunter and Iris Matthews. The winner is—” He looked at a small boy, who was responsible for drum rolls.

“Daisy!”

I clapped politely, as Walters mumbled a few reassuring words. The next award sparked excitement in my heart. It was the Fidelity Award, offered to the most loyal mailman. I hoped Walters won, this was the moment when thirty years of working as a mailman should have paid off.

Mario named the nominees. The drum roll was heard, the announcer shouted: “Harold Walters!”

I was on my feet, along with Bea, Jeanine and Nico. I screamed hysteric encouragements as Walters went to the stage to accept the golden letter. His smile warmed my heart.

“Thank you, Zoey, for the loud love. Thank you to the MAC, for giving me this. Even though I’m retired, being a mailman will always be a big part of my life. I just decided to let go of it to spend more time with my beautiful wife, traveling around the world. Thank you, Bea, for supporting me.”

Bea nodded, a few tears escaping her eyes. Walters continued, “I want to thank Zoey Hunter, who might as well be the best kid I’ve ever met. You’re like my daughter. Also, Nico Forrest, thanks for taking my place and helping out. You’ve got a good heart that’s beating for the right people.”

“WOOHOO!” I yelled, clapping enthusiastically. Walters headed back to his seat. Nico shook his hand and hugged him. What had changed in the last couple of days? They acted like they had a secret.

Time passed by, several awards had been given out. I leaned my head on Nico’s shoulder, because my neck hurt. He was like a pillow, holding my head. Could anyone be this soft?

“Youngest Couple deliverers! Zoey Hunter and Nico Forrest, Kyle and Johanna Foster, Sally and Ali Hamdan!”

I jumped in my seat, detaching myself from Nico. Bea was giggling in her napkin. Walters’ face was red with stifled laughter. Nico’s cheeks were red, he smirked.

“We’re the only ones who aren’t married,” he commented haughtily. The tip of his ears was getting darker.

“Then we won’t win,” I declared, slumping back in my chair.

How could the MAC even consider us as a couple? Who would have told them anything like that? Besides, no one really knew that Nico was my mail partner aside form a few people. Someone must have sneaked in the information at the last minute.

I breathed out a sigh, as the now sluggish drumroll played. “Sally and Ali win every year.”

“Nico and Zoey! Come up here!”

My eyes averted to Nico in alert. He stood up, grabbed my hand and slid his arm on my waist. He leaned his head in my hair and said: “Go along with it.”

I feigned joviality and put a big smile on my face. The golden letter was handed to us and Mario looked at us expectantly, waiting for a speech. Nico kissed my cheek hastily and stepped forward to speak.

“Wow, this is a surprise! Thanks to everyone who voted us as best mail couple, I really love working with Hunt—Zoey. She makes this whole thing special and fun and well—worth it. Thank you, again!”

Applause was heard throughout the crowd. Levi was looking somewhere other than Nico and I. Someone shouted: “Kiss!”

I didn’t even have to make myself seem taller to kiss him, since the heels helped. He grabbed my face and turned us away from the crowd, so that no one would really see. I figured he wouldn’t have to kiss me for real, because the hooting signaled that they had gotten when they had wanted.

Nico’s eyes lingered over my lips for a moment and I could feel him getting closer. Our lips were bound to touch any second now. Instead, he blinked and turned away. We went back to our table, his arm suddenly feeling weird around my waist. The golden letter in my hand felt heavy.

I wanted him to kiss me.

“Finally! Now, let’s get this old people party started!” Mario laughed as if he had made the most hilarious joke in the world. “Actually, I’m old. Enjoy the rest of the night!”

Whilst some stayed on their chairs, others stood up to dance. Music started, it formed a fuzzy feeling in my stomach. Gina walked over, her eyes glazing with jealousy.

“You’re with him?”

Nico was sitting beside me. “I’m not, Gina,” I replied.

“Oh,” her expression faltered, “Would you mind if I asked him to dance?”

“It’s rude to speak of people who are present in the third tense, Gina,” drawled Nico. “Zoey might not mind, but I do. I don’t believe in girls indirectly asking guys to dance. I’m not a toy.”

Gina’s mouth dropped. She walked away, her step dragging a little.

“So.”

Nico looked at me, “How’s your fever?”

“Better. My head hurts and it feels like it’s on fire. My nose stopped being runny, even though I sound like a monster. I’m fine.”

Levi was getting closer. Nico noticed him and got on his feet. “I need some fresh air. Have fun with lover boy.”

My mind was still spinning from what had happened a few minutes ago.He had been so close to kissing me. What was really freaking me out was the fact that I wanted to kiss him. And it seemed to be mutual.

“It was a joke, right?” said Levi hesitantly, sitting in front of me.

I toyed with the hem of my dress. “Of course. All a show.”

“Okay. Would you maybe want to dance?”

No. “Sure,” I forced myself to smile, for his sake.

Familiar upbeat songs played. I tried to dance, but failed horribly. I probably looked like I was a wriggling worm trying to be cool. Levi laughed, so I guessed that he wasn’t too bothered. His dance moves were roughly better than mine. We didn’t talk much, thankfully. I didn’t feel like talking, I didn’t want to think.

A few songs later, the fatigue settled in. The remains of my fever kicked in, soon standing up was a struggle. Levi didn’t notice, he was too happy. I tried to keep dancing, but my body was shutting down. The music was getting slower, I knew it was building up to a slow song. Hopefully, I’d make up an excuse and escape Levi to rest.

A pair of hands steadied my shoulders. I stopped dancing.

“Hunter, you’re going to faint if you keep dancing horribly.”

My luck kicked in. The song currenly playing ended. Another one started. It was  Can’t Help Falling in Love, the original version I had listened to with Nico on the way to the airport.

“I’ve got her,” assured Levi, putting his arm on my waist. I had the immediate reflex to flinch. It didn’t feel right.

Nico snatched his arm off my waist, “Fuck off, mate, will you?” Levi glared at him and walked away. I wanted to burst into laughter.

“You okay?” said Nico, facing me. He put his hands on my shoulders, worry etched on his handsome features. The light was hitting his face too beautifully.

“I don’t know. But I want to dance to this. I have no one to dance with now.”

He lifted my waist the slightest bit, putting my feet over his. He held me tightly, moving swiftly along to the music. I laid my head on his shoulder, drinking in his smell. He smelled like heaven.

The song soon ended, and oh how I hated it. IN a way, the song had given me energy. I got off Nico’s feet and smiled at him. A melody started to play, my heart fluttered in joy. It was 500 Miles, the softer version by Sleeping at Last.

He didn’t let go. “One more dance?”

“I’d love to.”

I didn’t want to let go of this memory. I wanted to hold on to it forever. I wanted to capture it and keep it hidden away in a box. I coveted to forget the world around me and savor this moment, with him. The consequences of tomorrow were further in my head than ever.

But I would walk five hundred miles
And I would walk five hundred more
Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles
To fall down at your door,” the music graced my ears.

Nico swayed me softly, enjoying the music as well. His eyes were glued on me, with a  strange emotion in them.

“Why do we always end up almost kissing, Hunter?” he asked.

“Because.” To me, it was a reasonable explanation.

“I’m serious. What the hell is this?”

“I don’t know?”

“This is all your fault,” he blamed, while continuing to dance effortlessly.

“How?”

He was the one who kept pretending we were together.  “You’re the one who keeps pretending we’re together,” I added.

“It’s because people like seeing us together. Not my fault. You’re the one who flirts with Shitface all the time.”

“Forrest?! You’re getting off subject!”

“I don’t give a fuck. You shouldn’t be offering yourself shamelessly to other men. What if he thought you wanted sex?” He reasoned calmly.

I didn’t want to kiss him anymore.

“What if I did?!” I lied, “None of this is your business! You have no right to be jealous.”

“It is my business, that’s what you don’t get!” He said sharply.

I scoffed, “Well when you flirt with girls, I don’t say anything about it. You’re not mine, I’m not yours!”

“God, you frustrate me so much,” he groaned.

The song ended. My fever crankiness was adding salt on the freshly open wound. “Explain to me why you were being a dick to Levi.”

“All he wants is to get in your pants!” he exclaimed. I pulled my arms off his neck. He lost his grip on my waist.

“And how is that supposed to bother you? If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you had feelings for me! But no, you’re Nicolas Forrest! Everything you touch belongs to you. You want to have everything.”

His eyes darkened. “Has it ever occurred to you that I might care about you? As a friend or as more, it makes no difference!  But you just step on everything on your way. You expect everyone to love you, but when they do, you get mad and throw it away. This convention was about the people you deliver mail with, right?”

“Your point is?” I was so close to crying by now.

“You were supposed to spend this time with Walters and I. Not some kid you just met!”

“He’s right here,” remarked Levi.

“Shut the fuck up!” exclaimed Nico and I at the same time. I made a mental note to apologize about that later.

I bit my lip in anger and let go. “I don’t want to fight with you! I wanted to keep being your friend. Why are you ruining this?” I sighed, exasperated. I was exhausted from this day.

The look in his eyes screamed: “I don’t know!”

“Because I don’t want any of this. I don’t need this in my life. For fuck’s sakes Hunter, you have no right! You have no right to walk in someone’s life and turn it upside down—”

Tears had escaped form my eyes. “I’m sorry.” I wanted him to stop talking.

“I was fine without you!” He let out harshly. “And I don’t need you to make shit worse! I’m trying to live a good life, but you’re getting in the way. You’re getting in my way!”

“I get it!” I shouted, “I fucking get it! Shut up!”

A circle of curious faces had formed around us. I turned around from Nico and stormed off, ignoring the gossip hungry people close to me. A hand or two tried to stop me, but I felt like nothing could make me feel worse.

One question repeated itself in my mind: how did we go from everything to nothing?

-

'ELLO FOLKS!

ONE SHOT COMPITITION IS OVAH: Please comment here if you entered in case I didn't add any of you. Winners are announced on October 25th.

MARS: My second book, a short story called Mars will be out on Amazon and Kindle tomorrow. Make sure to check it out! 

Risky chapter, eh? also one of the longest i've written for this story. not proof read, sorry.

love, yas

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 6.6K 14
Can you really fall in love with a boy who threw a box at your face when you first met? Heads up, it wasn't an accident. - Renjun hates his new roomm...
181K 4K 24
my first book ntm on me.
11.9K 177 23
Honestly this my first book and hopefully yall like it
8.4K 87 37
Follow Desire on her journey dealing with Jealously, Love and betrayal. This is the first book that I've completed, it's a few years old yall but I p...