a beautiful world | wolfstar

By Potato190505

Remus was so beautiful; it physically hurt to look at him. "Hey, Remus." The other boy glanced up, amber eye... More

the colour
people can interpret
could not be discerned
in his smile
wherever they were
little creases
my reflection troubles me
dreamy looks
your imagination
watching him
nebula
drowning couldn't hurt
making them forget
of course
you measure
unravelling
beneath his skin
hysterical
old rain
like sandpaper
a window
filled with blue
vague sound
the prettiest person
puzzle pieces
they were lost
odd serenity
somewhere
sometimes
a beautiful world
my last bow

only they could

6.3K 357 1.3K
By Potato190505

And so, the exams commenced. For about a week the castle was caught up in a hushed quiet and the scratch of pens against paper. If you walked through the corridors, you would see every eye heavy with dark circles. Every back was hunched, every footstep weary.

But exams must also end, and end they did. Eventually.

It was the Sunday immediately after that there was another Wolfstar meeting, late into the night. Sirius and Remus were asleep in their dormitory. James and Lily were catching up with each other.

Running her fingers through Marlene's hair, Dorcas yawned and leaned further back into the armchair. Her girlfriend snuggled further into her side. Peter was sitting on the sofa, next to Alice, who was texting Frank.

A lovely calm. But one which could not last.

"It's not fair!" Marlene bellowed suddenly.

"Jesus Christ!" yelled Dorcas.

"What's not fair, Marls?" asked Alice.

"Remus! And Sirius! Why the fucking hell aren't they together yet?!"

Alice bit her lip. "I don't know. But..."

"But?" Marlene persisted.

There was a pause, and Alice looked towards Peter, who smiled. "I think something's changed."

"What do you mean?"

"He means," Dorcas supplied, "that they've become more comfortable around each other now."

"Yeah," said Alice. "Like... like maybe not Sirius so much? Because I think he's still trying to move on. But - "

"But Remus seems to be trying more now," finished Marlene. Her eyes shone for a moment. "His performance was amazing, wasn't it?"

The others all nodded, smiling. "I'm so glad he won," Peter said proudly.

"Also, did you notice Sirius disappeared immediately afterwards?"

"Did he?" Dorcas turned to Peter, surprised.

"Yeah. And they came back together."

A quiet settled upon them. The two boys were not so much in denial now, it seemed.

And there had been some change. The way they held eye contact a little longer. The way the walked a little closer to each other. The way they both smiled when the other appeared.

It was frustrating. But perhaps... perhaps something might happen. Something wonderful.

Alice grinned, tucking her hair behind her ear. "They are so cute."

"They really, really are," Dorcas agreed.

As the silence fell back between them once more. Soon, they would be going to bed. But we shall leave them here, dozing on various pieces of furniture, while the night continued to darken.

***

Sometimes, when it was quiet, Regulus would think. Just think.

Maybe he would think of his parents, with their cold manners and medieval tendencies. Maybe he'd remember the taste of smoke in his throat. Or maybe he'd contemplate the peculiar beauty of manic brown eyes, when the light hit them just right. Of course, Barty wasn't allowed to hear his thoughts (although it might have made life easier).

But recently, he'd wiled away the hours thinking of his brother. And Remus Lupin.

Everyone who knew the two boys were certain that they loved each other. And yet, for some reason, they hadn't managed to come to an understanding over it. Regulus could see it so clearly. So why couldn't they?

Sirius hadn't had the easiest life (growing up with parents like they both had done, that wasn't entirely unexpected). He was always smiling, laughing, talking too much and causing drama with his friends. Regulus knew better, though, than to believe Sirius was happy.

He wished Sirius would just... reach out and take Remus' hand. There was happiness right at his fingertips, but Sirius always stepped back from it. Always afraid of not quite being good enough.

These were the thoughts that were spinning circles in his head as he sat in the Slytherin common room that same Sunday night. Barty was next to him on the sofa, his feet in Regulus' lap.

The dark-haired boy was finding it more and more difficult to ignore his growing feelings for the other. But that was a battle for another day.

There was a sigh. "Reggie," Barty whined, looking at him with his bright brown eyes.

Regulus blinked. "What?" he muttered.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Love."

"Never heard of it."

Reg snorted. "That's sad."

Barty grinned, mouth filled with pointy teeth. "Aren't we all sad?"

Regulus raised his eyebrows, deciding not to reply. Keep pretending, he thought. Just keep pretending.

After a moment, Barty spoke again. "Why love, Reggie? Are you in love?"

Maybe. "No." Liar.

"Then why?"

Regulus huffed. "Do you ever shut up?"

"Hmm..." Barty thought for a second. "No."

"Dumbass."

Barty kicked him gently. "That's a very rude thing to say, Reggie."

Heart beating a little quicker, Regulus turned his head towards the frowning boy. "I'm not sorry about it." Those eyes. Those crazy, beautiful eyes.

Another smile. "I know."

No, he didn't. But that was fine.

Stretching, Barty tucked his feet even further beneath Regulus' leg. And Regulus made a promise to himself.

When Sirius and Remus got their act together, he would do so as well.

One day.

***

James loved Lily. Loved her red hair. Her green eyes. Her paint-stained clothes and funny faces. Her kind, genuine smile.

Lily loved James. Loved his glasses. His goofy grins and clumsy hands. His capacity to love people, which seemed so infinite, like skies filled with stars. 

They were lying outside on the grass [A/N: they weren't allowed to, strictly speaking, so don't tell anyone], hands intertwined, watching the night drift by in a mass of clouds and grey light. Their voices were soft and rarely used, and when they were, they tended to say something so ridiculous that perhaps saying it was unnecessary, and yet so required that letting the silence continue was wholly unacceptable.

Sighing, James moved closer to his girlfriend (what a wonderful thought!) beneath the blanket, turning to look at her properly. Her eyes were open, filled with moonlight.

"Lily."

She looked at him. "James."

Nothing more. Nothing else was needed. Just their names, hanging between them like a thread only they could hold. A smile curled both of their lips, and they leaned in, kissing each other in such a way that made even time slow. Every second was an eternity. Every breath could go on forever.

And when they parted, which they had to do eventually, they turned back towards the sky, their fingers weaved close together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 41 16
My new thing is reading the other fics in the lotus yall add mine to <3 A wolfstar story from when they were at school. Mention of child abuse and...
6.9K 448 26
˗ˏˋ꒰🍫꒱ - ̥۪͙۪˚┊❛ 𝐒𝐔𝐂𝐊 𝐈𝐓 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐄 ❜┊˚ ̥۪͙۪◌ ╰┈➤ ❝ [Your love is like a studded leather headlock. Your kiss it could put creases in the ra...
20.6K 1.7K 40
"Fortune favours the bold. And if anything, darling, I am bold." ~ the italian renaissance, 1502. somewhere in florence. remus lupin is a sculptor, a...
4.4K 224 40
Remus was glad he could play the song well enough by now that he didn't have to look down at his hands constantly, but then he made the stupid mistak...