a beautiful world | wolfstar

By Potato190505

Remus was so beautiful; it physically hurt to look at him. "Hey, Remus." The other boy glanced up, amber eye... More

the colour
people can interpret
could not be discerned
in his smile
wherever they were
little creases
my reflection troubles me
dreamy looks
your imagination
watching him
nebula
drowning couldn't hurt
making them forget
of course
you measure
unravelling
beneath his skin
hysterical
old rain
like sandpaper
a window
filled with blue
vague sound
the prettiest person
puzzle pieces
they were lost
somewhere
sometimes
only they could
a beautiful world
my last bow

odd serenity

6.4K 386 1K
By Potato190505

"In this chapter, as you can see, Austen is..."

"Sirius, pay attention to her," Remus whispered. Sirius rubbed his eyes, feeling exhausted.

"Rem, I know all of this. I revised it last night."

"You should sleep more." Remus nudged the other's shoulder with his own.

Sirius rolled his eyes fondly. "Says you."

"Touché."

They looked back towards McGonagall, who was pointing at the big screen behind her. "And when in doubt during your exams, what should you write?"

"Austen does this to mock social etiquette in Regency England," the class droned back.

"Excellent, the last three years haven't been entirely useless then."

"I should hope not," Sirius heard James mutter behind them, "she's basically brainwashed us into believing that."

"Tell me about it," Peter whispered back. "I have fucking nightmares now. I see it everywhere."

McGonagall cleared her throat. "Now, please get on with your revision. Your exams are in two weeks, so please, don't mess around."

Her eyes drifted towards James and Sirius. The two boys grinned back at her.

"So, Rem, how's the song going?"

Remus shrugged. "As good as it can get with mediocre guitar-playing and even more mediocre singing."

Sirius flicked his forehead. "Dumbass. You're a brilliant singer."

"Liar." Remus smiled. "But thank you."

"I state only the truth," Sirius replied, resting his head on the taller boy's shoulder. He felt Remus tense for a second, but then he relaxed.

"When's the performance?"

"This Saturday."

Sirius quickly counted in his head. "That's.... only three days away? The fuck?"

A weak chuckle. "Yep."

"How are you feeling?" Sirius moved a little closer, half his face pressed into Remus' neck. His skin was soft. And warm.

"Fine."

"Who's the liar now?"

"Okay, okay, I'm bloody terrified." Remus huffed. "Happy?"

Sirius grinned. "At any rate you're telling the truth."

"Dickhead."

Someone flicked the back of Sirius' head. He turned around and faced James' wide-eyed stare.

"Did I hear right?"

Remus seemed to freeze. "Hear what?"

"You're going to perform in the competition?" Peter asked, blinking.

A second. Two, perhaps.

Sirius saw Remus wince. "Maybe...?"

"OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING!"

"Boys! This is an English lesson!" McGonagall yelled.

"But Minnie!" James yelled back, "Remus is gonna perform in the competition!"

The entire class looked at Remus, who looked... dead, really. There wasn't a better way to put it.

"Oh my god," Lily whispered from beside James. "Oh my god."

McGonagall raised her eyebrows. "Everyone, get on with your work." A pause. "Now." A more busy pause. "Mr Lupin, I'll be with you in a moment."

Remus slumped forward on the desk. Sirius patted his shoulder. "Oh, well, it was bound to come out eventually."

"I'm gonna fucking kill James." James, who was still listening in, gulped and moved back in his seat. Lily raised her eyebrows at him.

"You brought this upon yourself, mate."

Remus mumbled something into his arms. Sirius leaned closer. "Sorry?"

"I should quit."

"Only an idiot would quit," Sirius said, exasperated.

"Aw, thanks." Remus turned his head, so that Sirius could see his faux-sweet expression. "You don't think I'm an idiot."

"You're definitely an idiot, my friend."

"Ouch."

Patting Remus' shoulder, Sirius picked up his pen again and started to write. McGonagall walked over to their table a moment after, her face blank and serious.

"So, Mr Lupin," she began.

"Yes...?"

"You're performing on Saturday."

Remus nodded dejectedly.

"And you're prepared?"

"I - yes." He sounded like he was trying to convince himself. "Yes, I'm prepared." Sirius smiled at him. Remus smiled back, eyebrows furrowed in worry, and Sirius felt like hugging him. He didn't, of course, but I suppose it's the thought that counts? Maybe?

McGonagall nodded slowly, eyes thoughtful, and then her face was suddenly soft as she smiled. "I wish you luck, Mr Lupin. I am sure you will do brilliantly."

Remus froze, then grinned.

"Let's hope so."

***

There's something intense about a hall full of people. The quiet hum of polite chatter, the shadows on the audience and the lights on the stage. The tap of fingers against mics to check if they were working. The twang of instruments that were being tuned. The slow breathing of every performer as they tried to settle the nervousness that had curled up in their stomachs.

Remus carefully leaned his guitar against his leg, standing backstage with the other students. Sirius stood beside him, almost as nervous as his friend.

Not even an hour ago, in the boys' dormitory, Sirius had been throwing clothes out of Remus' drawer, trying to find something suitable (or, in Sirius' words, 'sexy but sophisticated').

He had ended up choosing a white shirt, a baggy beige-coloured jumper, dark jeans and, after some pleading on Sirius' side, black eyeliner. Remus looked adorable. Sirius was finding it difficult to not stare at him.

There was a weird thickness in the air. Remus looked pale, tugging at his jumper sleeves.

"Remus?"

"Yeah?" He sounded calm. His foot tapped against the floor.

Sirius didn't say anymore. In a sudden fit of bravery [A/N: sleep deprivation does weird things to the mind], he gently brushed his hand against Remus'. After a second of hesitation, Sirius found their fingers being slowly intertwined. His heart raced. What?

Professor Flitwick appeared. "Can everyone who is not performing please make their way to the hall?"

Sirius tightened his hold for just a second, still shocked that Remus had allowed it, then let go. They both took a deep breath.

Remus looked at the ground. "Sirius?"

"Yes?"

Nothing more. Remus looked him in the eye, and Sirius studied the pure amber as quickly as time allowed. There was nervousness. But there was also an odd serenity that made his face glow.

Sirius smiled softly, walking away. As he reached the door, he glanced over his shoulder. His friend was still looking at him.

Remus' lips turned up, more at the left than the right. His eyebrows furrowed together a little. His eyes were quiet.

Remus' lips turned up, and for a moment, the incessant noise gave way to silence.

Then Sirius walked through the door, the noise filled his ears again, and he made his way to his seat beside James.

Good luck, Remus.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 343 39
""I pulled him in a kiss and turned around so he was on top of me. He took hold of my waist and took the lead on the kiss. I pulled away panting and...
694 41 19
"You're just a spineless, big-headed, moron Potter. Why on earth would I go out with a fleabag like you?" "It's just, James Potter!" says Sirius, lea...
2.1K 111 11
"Your name means Werewolf McWerewolf, did you know that?" That was the first thing that Sirius Black said to Remus Lupin. Sirius remembered that now...
41.2K 895 36
Nova Lupin, despite her warm, sunshine-like smile and golden hearted nature, has a hard time with control-whether it be the changing colours of her e...