The Ruined Rainbow

By SayeshaL

Cover credits: @missoctowriter Earlier known as, "The Sweetest Smiles Have The Darkest Secrets." ***** Two p... More

THE RUINED RAINBOW
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
Author's Note
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95
CHAPTER 96
CHAPTER 97

CHAPTER 10

510 29 4
By SayeshaL

Choices... To choose between right and wrong is simple. But what defines one's life is the decision between the greater of the two goods and lesser of two evils. That's what that defines our life.
---------------------------------------------------------

Sahil.

Flashback.

I entered my house. I had waited for hours. I try to calm myself. My heart is beating like crazy: A mixture of emotions. Happiness, nervousness, excitement, sadness.

I clutched the contract closer to my heart. I entered my house and there is an unusual silence...

"I can do this." I whispered, "Come on Sahil Malhotra ".

I took a deep breath and call out,

" Papa? Mamma??"

My dad answered from the other room.

"In here."

I entered the bedroom. My dad is sitting on an armchair reading a newspaper.

"Papa?"

No answer.

My mum came in bringing dinner. He waved his hand to show he wasn't interested. He turned the page of his newspaper. My mum left the room.

"Dad??"

He didn't speak a word. He never does when he is angry. He is reading the newspaper to hide his anger.
I realized that too late.

"I'm listening."

That brought me back to my senses.

Come on Sahil.

"I quit my job."

He looked above with a dangerous glint in his eyes. He adjusted his glasses and looked at me.

"You did what?"

"I quit my job. I resigned"

He closed the newspaper and came and stood near me and looked at my eyes.
I tried not to back away.

"Why? "

"Papa..."

"Sahil Malhotra, why did you quit your job??"

" I --"

I couldn't say. I just kept quiet. His eyes looked fixedly at my eyes and I tried not to flinch.

A few minutes later,

"Sahil Malhotra, can you tell me why you quit your job??" My dad said, an edge in his voice. It was scary.

" I got a career in the movies. I got my first movie." I said.

A few minutes of silence...
Complete silence...

"I really want to do this papa, I really think I can--"

THUD.

My dad had just slapped me.

I kept my palm on my cheek and looked down blinking tears.

" 10 years, 10 years I struggled long and made you study. 10 years Malhotra. I did that just to make you earn a living. You got a job as well. "

"And now, what is this actor rubbish?? Is this a joke? 10 years of my hard work is wasted."

"Papa, " I said still looking down. " I Really want to act. To become an actor."

"Of course. And you thought your decision is obviously correct and decided not to consult me before taking this step?" Hurt evident in his voice.

" Papa, sorry. "

"Sorry? No. I will not accept any apology."

"Papa, please. I am sorry"

I continued to plead holding my hand at my cheek. My dad looked away.

My mother appeared hearing this commotion. From the looks of her face, I could tell that she had heard our argument.

Minutes of silence.

"You have to leave this house."

I looked up. I didn't believe this. But,

My dad left the room, I sat down on the bed with tears streaming down my cheeks.

My mother sat beside me.

"Why did you do this Sahil?"

More tears filled my eyes.

I went to my room and started packing my clothes. I cried for the whole night.

I knew I should have consulted my dad before resigning but I also knew that he would say no. I love acting and he would never agree with my decision.

In our family, all decisions are taken by our family and "acting" is considered something not right.

Why can't my dad be more understanding? Why can't I be given the opportunity to decide??

At the break of dawn, I left my house without telling anyone.

I signed the contract.

I found an apartment in Mumbai and worked hard for my movie. I was depressed but put my full enthusiasm in the movie.

The movie made me famous. I received other movies from different directors and made me one of the highest-paid actors.

But even though I got a lot of money I had lost my biggest wealth: my family.

Present.

"That's it Ayesha," I said tears flowing down my cheek. I had never told this to anyone before.

Ayesha was that close to me.

She gave a consoling look masking the tears that had filled her eyes as well.

She came closer and hugged me tightly.

"You must speak to your father, Sahil."

" I can't".

"Why?"

"I can't face him."

"Sahil."

I cried out aloud. I had kept that fear within me for years and now that I told someone...

After many breaths, I went to the washroom and washed my face. The cool water soothed me. I pressed a towel on my face and came out.

"Better?" Ayesha asked.

"Yeah. Loads." I replied giving a feeble smile.

She gave me a feeble smile too.

I suddenly felt guilty. It was her last day in Mumbai and I was supposed to make it the best not to make her feel sad.

"Let's go"

"Sahil, I think you should rest."

"No. I'm fine. Let's go. I don't want to spoil our plan."

"It's really fine, Sahil. I--"

I dragged her outside the house and we went to the parking lot.

We sat on my White Mercedes and I drove in silence.

Ayesha did not ask me about my father again. I could tell she was giving it a rest. We went to the Gateway of India.

I sat on the front of my car, and Ayesha went to buy ice creams for us.

Her treat she said.

I smile.

She really has a way of making me smile.

She leaves me with my thoughts.

Papa.

I think about it. That night. That day that gave me happiness and snatched my happiness.

"Hey."

I look up at Ayesha holding two bowls of ice cream. She is looking at me.

"Sorry. I was just thinking."

She gave me an understanding nod and sat next to me on the car.

I promised myself to never think about this again.

"So," I said in an attempt to sound cheerful.

"So??" She asked eating a spoon of her chocolate ice cream.

"Leaving tomorrow?"

"Hmm."

While being her best friend I had learned her emotions. And now I could say she felt sad.
Very sad.

A few minutes later,

"Ayesha, I can't do goodbyes."

"Me neither"

I realised Ayesha was crying silently.
She was looking down at her feet.

"Ayesha," I said gently.

No answer.

I took her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"When is your flight??"

"11 in the morning."

"you'll keep in touch with me, Sahil, won't you?? You are the only friend I have had and now I am leaving for Delhi."

I nodded.

"I don't want to lose this friendship either, Ayesha."

We sat in silence. I felt very bad at her leaving. She had been the best ever companion ever. And leaving her now...

.
.
.
.
.

I didn't realize her leaving. I watched her go, wiping her tears as a tear splashed on my jeans as well.

---------------------------------------------------------

I end this chapter with this sad note.

Ayesha is leaving for Delhi.

A lot of stuff is coming and don't miss it.

By the way, the quote at the beginning of this chapter is taken from the movie Fanaa, an old but a beautiful movie in Hindi and one of my favourites.
(Do watch it If you can))

And also note that Gateway of India is way different from India Gate. Don't confuse between them!! (The former is In Mumbai and the latter is in Delhi.)

Comment your opinion on this chapter, below.

Thank you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 3K 42
Cupid never had a chance in their messy, parental-restricted love story Karishma Jha, a twenty-one-year-old recent graduate with the world at her fee...
24.2K 2.2K 35
"No... Abirrr..." screams Mishti... tears are flowing from her eyes, she is damn horrified after seeing the sight in front of her eyes... Abir sees h...
103K 9.9K 29
~Book 2 of Hidden Love Series~ "I don't have any expectations from this marriage, nor am I looking for love," he said. "I am entering into this marri...
595K 64.6K 24
"You are my heart, Aira. So be careful when you think of breaking it. It may result in your collapse." ------- .หšโ‚Šโœงโ‚Šหš. -------- **This is a DARK roma...