Breathe.

By spokensins

Her heart laid on the pavement of a highway interstate. She never thought she'd see it again, nor did she fin... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34

11

664 52 5
By spokensins

Toni Braxton

It had been two days since Fessa got into her fight and she would come back tomorrow. I missed her so much. Her mom had her on lockdown half the time and I barely got to see her. She was famous amongst these halls now though. Her and Ryan's video had hit every form of social media there was. Meanwhile, I had gotten to know Zendaya who was best friends with Ryan. She was really cool and seemed to be sweet if not pushed.

We sat at lunch... yes guys, she begged me to sit with her so she wouldn't sit by herself so here I was. In the lunchroom. Around... others.

"So, Ryan and Nafessa's coming back tomorrow and I thought that maybe tonight we could hang at my place. You down?"

I looked at her as I shook my head. "I'm a churches kid. My parents will kill me."

"So sneak out. Duh." Daya told me.

Never had I thought about sneaking out. I'd have to talk myself into this one. "Let me think about it Z. I'm not about that life."

We both laughed as someone came over and sat in front of me. I noticed it was Kelly and got ready to stand up but she spoke. "Wait T, I'm just here to talk."

"You got nerve trying to talk to her right now." Zendaya spoke before I could.

Kelly glanced at her before sighing. "We're on the same side here."

"Who? Us?" Daya motioned between all of us. "No. We aren't. Your girlfriend jumped in on a fight that didn't have anything to do with her. Then it caused my friend to have to jump in. Now everyone's suspended. Yay them."

I chuckled as I spoke. "Chill Z. Kelly's cool."

"Hm. We will see."

Looking back at Kelly, I nodded at her. "What can I do for you Kelly?"

"Look, you and Janet... this has to stop. This beef has been going on for too long. I was thinking that maybe we could all sit down and squash it."

That was all I wanted to hear. Well at least back then. Now, well now I didn't need Janet's friendship to be okay. I had did my own form of healing. Unfortunately, she had left me with no choice.

"I don't think that'll be a good idea Kel." I replied honestly. "Janet's never going to get over the Kenny situation and I don't blame her but fighting Nafessa took it too far. It's nothing for us to talk about."

Kelly nodded softly. "Yeah. I get that. Ever since it happened, Janet's been so angry. With me I see Dunk, I see the girl I'm in love with when we're alone but here? It's a totally different story."

"Well at least you get a break from the anger issues she possesses when you two are solo dolo." Zendaya mumbled.

Kel sighed before looking at her. "What is your problem with me?"

"Birds of a feather flock together. I just don't trust you. I can trust you about as far as I can throw you and I'm pretty strong but you still won't go flying far. You hang with negative and you're probably negative but hey, who am I?" She replied to Kelly.

I hopped in. "Don't mind Zendaya, she's just a little blunt."

"No. No. She's fine. I get it. Everyone says that, but the Janet I know is totally different from the Janet you see. She just harbors a lot and it comes out how it does. I get where you are coming from but my girlfriend does not define me."

Z shook her head. "I'm not saying that. Im saying that if your girlfriend was here right now you wouldn't even have approached Toni. That's what I'm saying. I'm just saying you need to keep your energy consistent and don't switch it up."

"Maybe I should go." Kelly went to stand and walk away.

Daya had a point, if Janet was anywhere near this school Kelendria wouldn't even be sparing me a glance yet alone a conversation. This was weird for her to be doing and I had started to question it myself at this point.

"Don't let me run you off. Sit back down, I just needed to let you know that much. Finish your conversation with Toni." She got on her phone and tuned out our talking.

I looked at Kelly who was simply staring at Z and I's book bag. "What?"

"You look... different." She mumbled and I noticed that she kept touching my backpack. "Happier maybe. You aren't wearing a hoodie or anything. You look nice Toni."

My appearance was different today, I decided to take Fessa up on her advice and not wear a hoodie today. I just had on a plain white shirt with red trims and some jeans. I was far from dressed up but to my usual dressing, this was like a Grammy's designer gown, so I took the compliment.

"Thanks." Zendaya grabbed our bags when she noticed Kelly's movements and slid it over to our side of the table.

"No problem." Her phone began ringing and she looked down and spoke to us. "I'll catch up with you all later. I gotta take this." She stood up and walked away.

Z put her phone down and talked to me. "Janet must've been ringing for her."

"Be nice."

"That's Ryan's job. Not mines. I was surprised she even fought. She isn't like that. I'm the hot head, not her."

"And you said you two are best friends?" I questioned to be sure.

"Yeah. We are. Since we were 5. What about you and Nafessa?"

"It's her first year here so we just met."

"And you two are already that close? That's dope."

"Yeah. It is." I nodded in agreement. "She's the hot headed one out of us."

"I could tell from that first swing to Shawn's nose." She joked lightly.

"I'm surprised Ryan isn't the hot headed one out of you two. That yank back to Janet's head was crucial."

She chuckled. "Usually she corners it more than that but her boyfriend and her have been going through it. So she was on edge. Plus her little girl group."

"Girl group? She sings?"

"Yeah. It's a group called Take 3. They broke up though."

I nodded. "Oh okay."

"She sings really nice. You should listen to her sing. What about you?"

"I sing and draw." I mumbled. "You?"

Zendaya smiled. "I dance and act but you sing? Sing something."

I hated being put on the spot sometimes. Chuckling, I questioned. "Sing what?"

"Anything. You write your own songs?"

Nodding, I answered. "Yeah and Kenny and I used to write some."

"I'm interested. Sing anything."

"Uh." I dug in my backpack and realized I didn't have my song journal. "Maybe next time. I don't have my journal on me today."

"Alright, I'm gone hold you to that Toni." The bell signaling that lunch was over rung and Daya and I stood up to leave.

My phone buzzed and I saw it was Nafessa.

Fessa
Aye, watch out for Kelly, word on social is Janet and Shawn got her watching you and Z now.

The message made my face furrow and when I looked up at Zendaya, I saw that she was reading a message of her owns. We met eye contact as she asked me, "Bitch, did we get hoodwinked?"

"I think so." I mumbled back as I looked around and searched for Kelly.

"Aye. Didn't she touch our backpacks?"

I grabbed my bag strap from my shoulder and swung it back around my body. As I opened it, I looked inside and saw something inside of it. I grabbed it and showed Zendaya. "What's this?"

Zendaya grabbed it and threw it away quickly. "It's weed. Why would she put weed in your—." We heard some commotion and soon heard a dog barking. "Your bag smell like it?"

Sniffing my bag, I nodded. "Nothing but it."

"Hell nah. This a set up. And this is when we dip." She opened the side door and we slipped out as the rest of the crowd walked past. "Imma beat that girl up next time I see her. On my dead cat."

"I don't know why she does this. She only does it because she loves Janet and Janet and Shawn are best friends. It's not even her at heart."

"I don't care why she doing it, imma beat her up. Mark my words. We could have gotten expelled for that! I'm telling Ryan. Come on. Let's go pick her up."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 5.8K 55
(y/n) (l/n) a girl who was born in the modern world who somewhat ends up in the taisho era of demon slayer. Her sassiness and eccentric attitude capt...
1M 33.6K 60
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
1.1M 44.9K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1.1M 49.4K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC