A Mermaid Tale - Book 1 (IN E...

By NocteLamia101

"I was smoking on Shellfish Bridge, thinking about how I had completely screwed up my life, when an idea occu... More

A Mermaid Tale - Book 1
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Acknowledgements
Fun Facts about A Mermaid Tale

Chapter 18

29.6K 1K 186
By NocteLamia101

Originally Published in 2012

Picture on the side that should give you a clue about what this chapter is going to be about. I've had the picture for awhile and I've been waiting forever to use it! Read on! Just don't forget to vote and comment in the end!

Chapter 18         

            I couldn't help it; I got scarred so I held on to Ridge tighter. But Taiven seemed to have gotten the wrong impression because he stormed out of the restaurant, even though he had barely entered it. Oh come on! I thought. You have got to be kidding me! Can't I ever catch a break?

            "Ridge, I gotta go." I said untangling myself from him, and backing away quickly. "But I'll be back soon, maybe even tomorrow." I didn't stay long enough to hear what else he had to say because I ran out the door, after Taiven.

            Was he going to run off and tell his dad that I was with my brother? That I'd been up here too long? THAT MY HEAD SHOULD BE CHOPPED OFF!

            "Taiven!" I shouted running after him. Damn he was fast. "Taiven will you just stop for two minutes!" I must have sounded really pissed because he did. We only had about half a meter separating us. Uh. Guess I was fast too.

            "Really Tarabelle?" He said to me, I couldn't stop my stomach from twisting when he called me by my actual name. I hated it. "Is this what you do when you are above the water? You play around with silly mortal boys for your own pleasure?"

            "Woah, where the hell did that—oh wait, you think that..ha!" I started laughing, but I quickly stopped when I realised that the look on his face was not amused at all. "Hum" I continued clearing my throat. "That was my brother, Ridge." And here comes the punishment, I silently thought.

            But even I had to admit, things were less awkward than I would have expected it to be. After all, the last time that we had seen each other I had shouted into his face that I hated him.

"Your brother knows about—"

"Yeah, well now he does." I interrupted. "But he won't tell anyone, please believe him, and please don't chop my head off!"

He took a confused look. "What? Why in the world would we chop your head?"

"I thought you guys did that."

"No we do not."

"Oh." Well, that made me feel better.

A moment of silence passed as we both looked at each other. "Do you want to go for a walk?" I asked him after awhile.

He nodded, and that's when I did something very odd and brave of me. I walked up to him, closing the half meter between us, and grabbed his hand. I smile at him, and then we started walking. Oddly enough, this seemed to relax him.

"Am I at least in trouble?" I asked him as we walked.

"You say it as if you would like to be." Taiven pointed out. "Do you want to be in trouble?"

"No, it's just that I did sorta blow up the whole mermaid secret-thing, and it doesn't really feel right for me to go unpunished." I argued, as we turned the corner of the street.

"Tara, you only told your brother; and I shall believe you when you say that he will tell no one." He sighed. "Do you enjoy being up here with him?"

"Do you know what Dakaina told me today? That I made a better mermaid than a human." I damned her again in my mind. "That kinda ruined my whole thinking pattern as to where I belong. But, I actually do prefer being in the water, but I don't know if I can go my entire life without having to come up to the surface once and awhile." Saying it out loud felt good, and I'm glad that Taiven didn't react as bad as my brother did; I didn't feel like having to hit him too.

He was actually smiling; I swear I have never seen a bigger smile in my life. It made me smile. We turned another street corner.

"Tara, I have something that I wish to tell you." Taiven said to me, but right now his words were a little lost I a realised where we are. "I think that..." He stopped quickly, when he realised that I wasn't at all paying attention.

I had subconsciously walked here; back to what was once my home. I hadn't been here in almost two months, and the place seemed very unfamiliar to me. I let go of Taiven's hand and walked up to the front steps of the house; it looked rather abandoned on the outside. I took a deep breath before putting my hand on the door knob and turning it; the door was unlocked. I pushed it open and stepped inside with a slight hesitation.

I noticed Taiven still standing in the drive way. "Are you coming?" I asked him.

"Is your father not home?" He replied, looking rather uncertain of himself.

I let out a small laugh, which actually sounded rather cruel. "Hum, no... he died." I'll just leave it at that for the time being. "Now come on!" I insisted extending y arm as he came forward and grabbed it. We stepped into the house together.

The place was in a complete disaster. Things were smashed all over the place, all sorts of weird things were covering the floors, and it smelled really bad. If I hadn't worked at Shellie's and Fish for four years, I might have thrown up; but no, this place was nothing compared to the restaurant.

"It didn't use to be this bad, trust me." I assured him, trying not to laugh at his disgusted face as he looked around.   

We went into the kitchen, and I eventually screamed to death because a rat had passed over my feet. You'd think that after almost two months of seeing really weird fish and sharks, I wouldn't be scarred of many things. But no. Rats are still considered as one of my biggest fears.

I hadn't realised that I had jumped on Taiven until he asked me if I was alright. "Oh, pff yeah I'm good... I just don't like rodents." I tried to sound as casual as possible, I think it worked. "Okay, let me show you upstairs now before a tarantula falls on my head." I said as I got off of him, and hurried upstairs.

It was pretty untouched. Ridge's room still had bolts on the door, and mine was still neatly place everywhere. Yes, I'm a neat freak, so what? For some reason, at the sight of my room I felt like crying, again. Why! I didn't even want to cry, so why was I doing it? I have no more control over myself. 

I stepped into my room and sat down on my small bed, and yes, I started crying. Damn tears. "Tara" Taiven said to me. He was leaning against the door frame, looking rather sexy and worried. "I can leave if you wish."

I shook my head. "No I need someone here to make sure I stay sane." I said through my tears. He made his way into my room, and sat down on my bed beside me, and started to rub my back.

I tried to recompose myself quickly; because there was no way that I was going to spend another hour crying about how much my life sucked. When I had calmed down, about en minutes later, I reached for a small photo that I kept on my night stand. I showed the picture to Taiven who immediately burst out laughing. It was a picture of me working at Shellie's and Fish earlier this year. Yes, that meant Goth Girl with the ridiculous pink hat and apron.

"Is that really you?" He asked looking from the picture back to me, and back to the picture. "You had a lot of piercings." He pointed out.

"Yeah I know" I replied with a smile, taking my coat off and pulling up my purple shirt sleeve. "I still have my ink though" I said showing my arm. "I wish I didn't have it anymore though, it doesn't really work with my blond and purple hair."

"Is it safe to say that you are much more beautiful now?" He commented. I smiled.

"You think I'm beautiful?" Yes I blushed, so did he. But it didn't last before I killed the moment. "But Adara is also very beautiful." I pointed out, moving a little away from him on the bed.

Taiven let out a frustrated sigh. "Adara may be appealing to the eye, but her heart isn't as beautiful as her features."

"Oh, so you do know that she's a psychotic bitch?" Leave it to me to make what he'd just said sound more modern.

"Yes I do know, I've known for quite awhile actually."  He replied avoiding looking at me.

"Then why are you marrying her!" I exclaimed getting up and sounding rather accusing.

"It is because she does not expect much from me." He replied, getting up as well. "All she wants is her crown, I doubt I will ever have to do anything to please her; it will be as if I was never married in the first place."

"That's terrible!"

"Yes, I know it is." He didn't sound really pleased with himself. "But my father only gave me a year. A year! A year to find someone with whom I must spend the next millions of years of my life with. I did not even want to marry in the first place, let alone start searching for a bride that I was not ready to commit to. Let us not forget that the mermaid of my choosing must also appeal to my father!"  He paused, took a deep breath and starred straight into my eyes. "And that is when you changed everything." I swear to god that my heart skipped a beat right then. "I do not have to be Prince Taiven around you. I can just be Taiven, and two months ago, I did not even know who that was."

"Taiven I—" I tried to say, but he wasn't done.

"I will cancel all wedding plans with Adara" He said to me grabbing my hands. "We can try what the mortals call "dating", and maybe when you are ready we can be together as king and queen." Woah! Did this really just happen? I think it did, a small voice in the back of my mind whispered back.

A small moment of silence passed before I answered. "Alright" I said to him with a smile. "I'm willing to give this relationship-thing a shot, but don't just expect me to—" I was stopped because Taiven had suddenly pulled me forward and had started kissing me.

My confusion barely lasted half a second before I happily started kissing him back. Clothes started coming off fast, both of us eager to discover the other one's body.

It was strange that after all the crap that I've been through, I'll the crying that I've been doing, and all the stupid pain that I had to endure; that I was allowed to have such a perfect moment.

      I ALMOST ended the chapter here, but no, I need to be cruel; read on....

Adara       

            He had left her for way too long again, and Adara was growing incredibly tired of it. Sick of it. She had waited to long, she had been too nice, but no more. No more.

            As everyone in the castle slept, Adara swam back in fourth in her chambers trying to decide how she was going to do this. How was she going to kill the king tonight?

The end.

No I'm joking, there's still a few more chaps to go!!!!

- NocteLamia101

Enjoying my work so far? I encourage you to check out my other stories such as The Way to Neverland: A Peter Pan Story and The Walkers Saga! Available on my profile!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 372 26
Coming into the human world was definitely not my idea but I had no choice. I am the mermaid princess of the North American seas. The most powerful w...
5.2K 273 13
小人鱼他超凶 The wild little mermaid who lives in the deep sea has never seen his parents since he was born. He swung the most beautiful tail and fought th...
4.9K 20 21
This is like a stand alone, back story film, for the continuing story Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken. Where last left off, that all people like giant...
760 63 19
Follow three friends journey as they travel across the sea on the adventure of a lifetime, while two of them fall in love. ...