Song of Plum Blossom Mountain...

By lazulinus

If there's one thing she learns, it's to not curse out a shitty web novel, because in accordance to the laws... More

Prolouge
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5

312 20 5
By lazulinus

The hooded giant strolled slowly into the center of the arena and the four disciples. Although quite rude, there were, occasional challengers who arrive late or seek a last-minute match, so while surprising, the figure was not perceived as much of a threat. The crowd murmured and chattered excitedly amongst themselves. Usually, such challengers could be separated into two categories; those who are extremely skilled and those who have overestimated their own abilities. Either way, the peanut gallery was in for a show.

Mu YangXi had realized something wrong when the cloaked figure pulled out a small glass bead surrounded by demonic qi. His eyes widened in shock and immediately tried to jump towards the arena but it was too late. The bead had been shattered on the ground and a dark, ominous barrier enveloped the stage, trapping the four disciples within. Mu YangXi grit his teeth and descended hastily into the outer ring of the arena along with the other peak masters.

"Direct the citizens to safety," he instructed the Qing Tang disciples calmly as the crowd around the arena noticed the irregularity and grew panicked. As the surroundings began to clear out, he condensed his qi and struck the barrier, in a futile effort to break through. The black dome remained firm.

Luo FeiHong placed his hand on the barrier, his expression growing more distraught.

"It's a Soul Barrier. The caster is likely a demon considering the demonic qi it's emitting. The demon must have sacrificed a large portion of their soul to create such a strong barrier." Luo FeiHong paused uncomfortably before continuing, "Since it naturally repels spiritual qi, we have no way of damaging it from the outside or going in until it burns itself out."

Mu YangXi hit the barrier once again in frustration with the side of his fist. His heart tightened once again at the thought of Mu RongXue. He should've taken action against the unnatural interruption as soon as it happened but for some reason, he believed there was nothing wrong. Although his character was not naturally suspicious, he had not let his guard down to this state, or so he thought. Was he mad? How had it come to this? It was as if he had no control over his actions until it was too late.

"Mu shixiong, how should we proceed?" Lu XiaWei asked quietly. Shen BaTian and Luo FeiHong looked at their shixiong nervously, they had almost never seen him so enraged before.

Mu YangXi's fists were clenched so tight that his nails had broken skin. Blood stained the tips of his fingers as he slowly loosened his grasp, "Lu shidi should aid the disciples in settling the public and treating anyone who may have been injured in the panic. I will search the archives to see if there is any other way to forcefully dispel or weaken the barrier. Luo shidi and Shen shidi should stay in case something happens."

The three peak masters expressed their consent and dispersed to fulfill their own duties.

In the original novel, Yu TianMin was the one trapped in the barrier in Chen ChiHao's place. The protagonist had been Chen ChiHao's final challenger and won, contrary to expectations. However, before she could even celebrate her victory, a mysterious figure trapped the four disciples in a Soul Barrier. It's then revealed that the cloaked man is the infamous Demon General Shan, the right hand of the reigning Demon Emperor, here to abduct the head disciples for reasons unrevealed.

Mu RongXue and the other two head disciples were already quite worn out from fighting the various challengers and were no match for the Demon General at the mid-Nascent Soul. Instead of trying to work together, Mu RongXue coldly suggests that the protagonist should act as bait while the other three attack, since Yu TianMin had more stamina. Despite her protests, the other two head disciples agreed and the matter was settled. Ultimately, Yu TianMin is targeted as the weakest of the four and is caught almost immediately by the demon general. The demon had no need for a regular disciple so he attempts to coerce the three head disciples by threatening to kill the protagonist. As General Shan's grip tightens around her neck, Yu TianMin looks pleadingly at Guan HeLan, Xia ChenChao, and finally, Mu RongXue, for help, only to be met with varying degrees of pity and indifference.

Utterly betrayed by these hypocritical cultivators who claim to stand for justice, Yu TianMin fell into despair. As a final attempt to struggle against death, the protagonist releases her pent up disappointment in humanity and frustration as a random burst of qi. The release of energy blows General Shan aside from sheer force, surprising everyone. It's finally revealed that Yu TianMin had a trace of demonic blood in her from her ancestors. Her destitution had unlocked the power of the demon blood, previously sealed and suppressed by her spiritual cultivation. With her newly discovered lineage, she swiftly killed the general and dismantled the barrier.

However, Yu TianMin was not here right now. Instead, it was just the four head disciples, and Mu RongXue was the only one with Nascent Soul cultivation.

Xia ChenChao had drawn his sword immediately after the barrier was formed. Encased in qi, the sword illuminated the nearby surroundings with a soft silvery glow.

"State your name," Xia ChenChao barked at the hooded figure shrouded in darkness. A derisive chuckle echoed through the dome. "Take a guess," responded the demon, somewhere in the shadows. Xia ChenChao's expression sharpened. He was growing more irritated by the second.

Mu RongXue snapped open her fan, drawing everyone's attention. "Don't play games, it is obvious who you are, Demon General Shan," she announced as waved her fan forcefully across the arena. Small balls of condensed qi flooded the barrier with light.

The giant bellowed with laughter as he ripped off his cloak, startling everyone but Mu RongXue. The demon looked like a minotaur. His red body grotesquely sinewed, and the horns on his head forming almost a halo in front of him. Clawed hands rested on the twin hammers at his sides as he examined Mu RongXue. He seemed to have come to some favorable conclusion as his red, goat-like eyes sharpened.

The silence was broken by General Shan's booming voice, "Girl, you may be perceptive but how could you possibly know my identity when the elders were not even able to perceive my aura?"

Mu RongXue sneered arrogantly, drawing her fan to her face. "I need not answer the likes of you, demon," she spat coldly. What could she say? She read the novel?

"Enough talking! What are your intentions?" Xia ChenChao interrogated, attempting to guide the demon's attention back to himself. Behind General Shan, Chen ChiHao had begun drawing a binding array. Although he was surrounded in four directions, he did not seem nervous or unsettled at all.

General Shan turned to look at Xia ChenChao, his warped grin growing sinister, "My intentions are none of your concerns."

In a flash, the demon drew a hammer from his side and hurled it behind him, striking Chen ChiHao as he was inserting qi into the array. The disciple flew back with the force, his back hitting the barrier. Simultaneously, Guan HeLan and Xia ChenChao launched themselves at the demon general, occupying him from both sides. Mu RongXue took this chance and leaped over to Chen ChiHao.

"No good... He's out cold..." she thought nervously to herself.

Although the other was not especially adept at combat when compared to the other disciples, he was still the top disciple of one of the four main peaks of Qing Tang, he shouldn't have been taken out with one hit. Mu RongXue's brows furrowed in worry as she fished out a healing tonic from her storage pouch and pouring it in Chen ChiHao's mouth. Was it the plot's will at work? Because Chen ChiHao was not supposed to be here for this event, he was knocked out of the fight immediately? Mu RongXue barely had time to consider the implications of this conjecture when a sword was knocked through the air and planted itself beside her.

She turned her head towards the fight. It was not going well. Xia ChenChao had sustained an injury on his left arm and was struggling to get back up from the ground while Guan HeLan had taken it upon himself to block attacks meant for Xia ChenChao and draw General Shan's aggro. Mu RongXue grit her teeth. With an unconscious Chen ChiHao, and a silver sword in tow, she made her way through the air next to Xia ChenChao.

"Stay with him," she ordered, dropping the comatose disciple and spiritual sword, before jumping into battle next to Guan HeLan. She wasn't sure if the Bai Jian disciple was even clear-minded enough to understand her, but at least it didn't seem like he could go anywhere. The clash with General Shan had reached a deadlock, and Guan HeLan's movements were becoming increasingly sluggish. The two sides parted from one another, scrutinizing the opponent for an opening.

Mu RongXue grabbed Guan HeLan's shoulder and flung him behind her, next to the injured disciples, surprising both the Ke Mo disciple and the demon general. A white talisman flew towards the group and stopped in midair as if it had hit a wall. Translucent qi whirled around the trio and dispersed in a violent gush, leaving a silver-blue qi barrier in its wake.

"Shimei, what are you–"

"Silence. Stay put in the barrier, you are no help to me out here when you're so fatigued."

Guan HeLan pursed his lips in worry. He knew he was in no condition to continue fighting the demon, neither was Xia ChenChao, but how could Mu RongXue take on the attacks alone? Soon, she would also become tired and no one would be able to help her.

General Shan's cruel laugh reverberated through the inside of the dome.

"You've overextended yourself, girl. You cannot hope to win against me while maintaining a barrier," the bull-headed demon warned. Mu RongXue agreed. Although she'd reached Nascent Soul, she'd only entered its early stages, and her qi would deplete steadily as she maintained the barrier. The fan in her left hand concealed her expression as she drew and pointed Bing Wu at her opponent.

"You overestimate yourself," she retorted with certitude. She launched herself at the demon. Her sword was met with a large metal hammer. Bing Wu's blade was caught and deflected, swinging Mu RongXue upwards into the air. Her body twisted in the air before she attacked once again using her qi to accelerate her movements.

Her form was precise and calculated. She struck at every opening and alternated between using Bing Wu and her fan to wear the other down. The continuous litany of attacks and agile dodges had soon worn General Shan down. His movements became more erratic and brutal, resulting in more openings and weak-spots for Mu RongXue to pick at.

The demon grew nearly feral with anger. Guan HeLan and the tentatively recovered Xia ChenChao observed the battle with admiration and disbelief. The succeeding disciple of Qing Tang's sect master was not a title to be thrown around lightly. Although they were also top disciples of Bai Jian and Ke Mo, they had not lasted half as long in their combined efforts to defeat the general. The Mei Hua disciple proved with actions that she had reached Nascent Soul not only due to her access to pills and resources.

The piercing sound of clashing metal filled the barrier. The demon General Shan had begun taunting and degrading Mu RongXue at some point but she could hardly remember when. He was unhinged, frothing at the mouth with anger. Both sides were weakened. She'd begun feeling drained a while back but the demon had yet to notice. Although her body was strong, Mu RongXue had never physically endured such a long battle, and her focus was beginning to slip. Each breath grew heavier than the next until she could barely hide the fact that she was exhausted. Thankfully, the demon seemed to be in a similar condition.

Readying her blade once more, she leaped at General Shan.

"Shimei–!"

Mu RongXue's eyes widened in dread. She misjudged the distance of her attack and missed the demon narrowly. Without any time to defend or brace herself, she felt a crushing weight drive itself into her back, pinning her to the floor. A choked breath escaped her as General Shan stepped on her wrist, forcing Bing Wu to slip from her hand. The soft clatter of a metal blade onto the stone floor preceded a silence filled with fear and despair.

General Shang bellowed with strained laughter as he drew Mu RongXue from the ground to meet his eyes, his claws wrapped tightly around her thin neck. His body looked ragged and butchered, the blood seeping from his wounds had blended into his red skin tone as darker patches. His eyes were crazed and out of focus, his mouth twisted into a deranged smile. Mu RongXue could only struggle weakly as the other increased his grip around her neck.

He was probably monologuing, as all villains do, but Mu RongXue could barely even keep her eyes open, much less focus on anything the demon was saying. The ringing in her ears got louder as her vision darkened. The world around her seemed to shake.

"What?" General Shan's grip on Mu RongXue abruptly loosened, allowing her to regain her breath and return from the edges of her consciousness.

"What's happening?" General Shan growled at Mu RongXue, voice strained as if he were in great pain, "What did you do?"

Mu RongXue didn't understand what he was talking about until the world shook again. Oh, was that not just her imagination? The world, or more specifically, the barrier trembled once more.

General Shan growled, tightening his grip on Mu RongXue's neck once again, "Stop it. Stop it you wrench!"

Mu RongXue couldn't reply, feeling her vision grow darker. The sound of something shattering around her was the only thing that kept her consciousness from slipping into darkness. A familiar voice reached her ears.

"Who dares lay a hand on my dashijie?" the voice roared, trembling with anger that Mu RongXue had never heard before.

Seconds later, she heard the telltale squelch of a sword cleaving through sinew and was caught in a careful embrace as she fell from the Demon General's now-lax grip. Who was this? She knew this voice. Her brows furrowed slightly as she tried to recall the person's face.

"Dashijie, are you okay?" the voice asked, heart-wrenchingly distraught. Mu RongXue finally opened her eyes blearily to find herself in Yu TianMin's arms. The other was looking down at her, on the verge of tears. Mu RongXue's expression softened in relief at the all too familiar expression on the other's face. Of course! It was her little protagonist! Her little protagonist had come to save her!

She slowly raised a hand to lightly brush Yu TianMin's cheek, just to make sure she wasn't hallucinating again. "You came?" she asked, her voice strained and airy, not that she could muster much else.

Yu TianMin nodded, her eyes growing tearier as she leaned into the touch, "En. I came for dashijie."

Mu RongXue nodded lightly and allowed her eyes to shut once again. The feeling of comfort rushed through her body. She knew she was safe with her little protagonist around, so she allowed her mind to slip into blissful unawareness.

Yu TianMin's eyes never left her dashijie's face she laid, sleeping peacefully in her arms. All of the pent up rage and anxiety built in Yu TianMin for the past two hours seemed to dissipate with every breath Mu RongXue took. She found solace in the rise and fall of her precious dashijie's chest, a sign that she was still alive, safe. It was a very serene and calming scene.

Their surroundings, however, were anything but.

The Demon General Shan, lay headless in a pool of his own blood, not more than four feet away. The injured head disciples, who had witnessed the whole ordeal, scrutinized Yu TianMin in disbelief and distrust. Shen BaTian and Luo FeiHong, entering shortly after the barrier shattered, looked at Yu TianMin uncomfortably, as if wanting to speak but not knowing where to start.

Message talismans were on their way to Mu YangXi in the archives, and Lu XiaWei, who was treating injuries due to the crowd panic elsewhere. Guan HeLan looked at his shifu, Luo FeiHong in search of some sort of answer or, at least, a confirmation or denial of the only natural assumption he could draw from the events he just witnessed.

A moment ago, they were trapped in the darkness of the Soul Barrier, the globes of qi lighting the dome long since extinguished, as their young shimei was being mercilessly strangled, when, all of a sudden, the barrier was shook.

At first, Guan HeLan thought he was hallucinating from the pain of his broken... everything, but soon the demon general noticed it too. Not even a minute later, the barrier was destroyed and a wave of power and bloodthirst had settled itself on his shoulders, forcing him to fall back down on his knees. He used all his strength to look up and find a male disciple (*) in the Mei Hua Peak uniform, surrounded by strong demonic energy, wielding a sword, and glaring down at him with the desire to kill.

(*Guan HeLan is mistaking Yu TianMin's gender...)

Just as he thought he would be attacked, the disciple's eyes focused on the demon strangling Mu RongXue. General Shan was beheaded easily without hesitation. It occurred so quickly that he didn't even catch it until the general's head tumbled off his shoulders and landed before him.

He feared that the bloodthirsty disciple would try to kill Mu RongXue next on his rampage, but, to his utter amazement, the shidi directly gathered Mu RongXue carefully in his arms as she fell from the demon's grip.

His face was full of questions. Who is this? Why does he possess such strong demonic energy? And why is he so attached to Xue-shimei?

Qing Tang was housing a demon. But this demon had just saved the successor of the sect master. Was the world about to collapse? What is going on?

—✿✿✿—

The author has something to say:

Author: Anywaysss! Guan HeLan mistook Yu TianMin for a guy~~

Guan HeLan: That brat's a girl?! So Xue-shimei is still single??

Author: He He... What makes you think that Yu TianMin isn't chasing her dashijie just because she's a girl?

Guan HeLan: i-want-to-say-you're-wrong-but-can't.jpg

Author: As always, thank you so much for reading and waiting patiently for updates! Please forgive me for any spelling or grammatical errors (I don't have a beta and usually work late at night when brain is off). 爱你么么哒 ♡ ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 82 15
My name is Min Ae-ri Shin ... Or it was that. One day as I was taking a bus home from my college as usual while playing an otome game on my phone si...
14K 986 51
Our beloved protagonist was a force of unparalleled might, a being whose power eclipsed all others that had ever graced existence. Yet, in the cruel...
151 7 7
Not Another Reincarnation Story! (But it is...) Amy Young led a miserable life. When she wakes up in another person's body she's shocked to see that...
24.2K 960 29
Olivia was your average 18 year old girl. Keyword, 𝙬𝙖𝙨, until she drowned in a lake and woke up in a crappy novel her friend recommended to her. ...