Crystal Eyes

By MG_writing2703

Ellery Grace Wilson, a deaf teen who lost everything five years ago in a car crash, one that shattered her li... More

The Past Haunts Me
(01)-Ellery Grace Wilson
(02)-James Robert Miller
~(03)~
-(04)-
~(05)~
-(06)-
~(07)~
-(08)-
~(09)~
-(10)-
~(11)~
-(12)-
~(13)~
-(14)-
~(15)~
-(16)-
~(17)~
-(18)-
~(19)~
-(20)-
~(21)~
-(22)-
~(23)~
-(24)-
~(25)~
-(26)-
~(27)~
-(28)-
-Short Bonus Chapter-

(~-Epilogue-~)

3.9K 134 51
By MG_writing2703

~*E l l e r y*~
(4 years later)

      The warm, tinted lighting reflected beneath us. Glimmering an orange tint where our feet stepped together. My arms were gripping James tightly around his shoulders, my head pressed against his chest and my weary eyes fluttering. His lips brushed my templed, his soft fingers tracing the delicate line of my flowy wedding dress. The tears he'd shed during the ceremony still lingered beneath his bright eyes. My own threatening to fall.

      I couldn't hear the music, but James could so he led us. Honestly, I had no interest in hearing the music because no matter the sounds around us, they all fell silent until it was only us. We turned and swayed, my dress flaring and following with my every movement. James traced the soft white fabric flowers on the left hip of my dress, then ran his fingers through my vail. 

      I turned briefly to catch Jenna giving me the thumbs up. Ryan was crying again, had been since I walked down the aisle. Since our father had walked me down the aisle. I knew all eyes were on us, it caused a blush to rise on my cheeks but James bumped our heads together and drew my eyes to his. It felt like an eternity, that we stood looking into each other's eyes. 

      I had missed him so much when we both had gone away for college. Long-distance was one of the hardest strains on our relationship. The only thing keeping us going was this...our future...and it had come true when I'd flown into his arms at the airport and he proposed not even a few hours later at a nice lake lit with beautiful lights. 

      Have I told you that you look stunningly gorgeous? I laughed playfully, nuzzling my head into his neck. Inhaling his wonderful smell. "Yes. Only a million and one times," I muttered. I'd gotten used to talking over the years. Even now, four years since I'd first spoken to him, his face lit up when hearing my voice. Only another reason I loved him.

      He joined our hands, kissing my knuckles. 

      We both turned when a tap tingled my skin. Dad was standing behind me, holding his hand out with a smug smile on his face. His tie was half-way undone and his hair somehow already insane, typical Declan Mclairy. Behind James was his mother, awaiting a dance of her own. Jade and Jude on the sidelines, eating two cupcakes. 

      Dad and I joined hands, I parted from my husband and pressed my arm over Dad's shoulder, his hand coming on my waist. We began swaying and turning in a graceful waltz. I laughed when he ruffled my nicely tamed hair. Still a habit he'd been doing for years and I was attempting to break.

      Thank you, he signed shakily, his finger coming to stroke my cheek. I pressed my cheek onto his hand further, putting my own hand atop his. For what? He eyes began watering, his lips trembling. I pulled him in closer and kissed his cheek. His face brightened, just like the first day I had called him dad. 

      For letting me walk you down the aisle. For accepting me four years ago. For letting me be your dad even though I wasn't there for you when you and Ryan were young. Your forgiveness means everything to me, darling and you've grown up into such a wonderful young woman. 

      I tipped my head up, avoiding tears. You're welcome. Thank you for being my dad, for accepting us four years ago and being with me every day and it means everything to me that you walked me down that aisle today. "I love you," I whispered lastly. I mostly spoke these days unless I had a long sentence, then I signed because I often jumbled my words when speaking too long and even though it had been four years, I was still insecure about it but James was helping me to become more comfortable. 

      We finished our dance, and before I knew it Ryan had cut in and we began dancing. 

      We cut the cake and danced some more. I sat and talked with people I hadn't seen in years. I spent some time with Jenna and Ryan's new baby girl, Allie, and spent most of my time gazing at my new husband. To say I was stuck in the clouds was an understatement. To say he was head of heels was an understatement. 

      When it came time to throw my flower bouquet, I tossed it over my shoulder, the bundle of white and pink flowers flying above me. When I turned to see who'd caught it...it was Jade. A bright smile on her face, she went to flaunt it to her mother. James went pale, shaking his head. She's not getting married for a long time, he signed protectively. 

      Oh shush. It's only a game. Look how happy she is. The now seven-year-old was twirling the flowers in her hand, smelling them and giggling happily. James' hands came around my waist, his head resting on my neck. We swayed at watched as the dancing erupted again. He held his hand out and tugged me onto the dance floor, dipping me down and connecting our lips. 

~~**~~

      The next morning we boarded the plane to our honeymoon. We wobbled through the aisle until we arrived at our seats. It was cramped and cold but we found our happiness in each other. James pressed a kiss on my lips as I sunk into my chair. His hand fiddled in mine. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him. I felt like we were teens all over again, James crashing into me that first day of school or our first kiss under Ryan's porch lights. 

      Our gazing was interrupted when the lady next to us reached out and touched my wedding ring. I turned, gasping so harshly it drew James' attention. The person before me was not how I'd imagined her to look all these years later. She looked eerily normal. 

      Sarah. She looked so different...her nails were normal for one, her hair had been cropped really short and her face was less caked with make-up. She looked...completely rational. Guilt teetered her features and a small smile played on her lips. 

      "Hi..." I read her lips. I waved meekly. James utterly froze in his spot, refusing to make eye contact with her. Sarah scanned my cheek no so subtly, looking for remnants of her nail marks. Thankfully there was none, they'd healed up nicely. "You two just got married huh?" 

      I nodded, still dumbfounded by her overall appearance. 

      "Look, I'm sorry about what happened in our teen years...I was insecure and taking it out on you both. I was actually hoping I'd come across you two at some point because I've been feeling really guilty lately." I couldn't tell if she was genuine but she seemed like she was. I scanned my eyes down her body, halting them on her large belly. Very large belly. She was pregnant. 

      "It's okay, really. I understand. How are you doing these days?" If she was shocked by my speaking, she didn't show it. James finally looked up from his lap, scanning my eyes in wonder. 
"I'm doing really good. I'm married, have a little boy on the way and my life has really changed. I'm sorry directly, James. I know I really was a brat back then and the way I acted towards you was terrible." 

      It's okay... I've forgotten about it. I'm happy that you have a better life and I understand why you did it, he both spoke and signed. Sarah rubbed her stomach, smiling softly at us. I caught a movement, her baby boy kicking her. It made me grin. She grasped my hand in hers and brought it to her stomach. The little flutter hit my palm, I beamed. I caught James grinning as well. He flashed me a glance, smirking.

      "It's so crazy to see you two married... You two really did belong together from the beginning. I'm really happy for you both."

      "Thank you...when is your due date?" Sarah held back a laugh as her baby began kicking again. "Less than three weeks away. His name is Oliver. Brock is very excited." 

      I saw James go taunt. He drew his eyes to Sarah wearily. "Brock...Brock Gaton?" Sarah nodded joyfully. I burst out into a fit of laughter and bob my head on James' shoulder. Brock absolutely hated Sarah in high school. Hated was an understatement. I guessed people did change. 

      We'd lost contact with Brock after collage and James hadn't talked to him in forever. Explained a lot. 

      "I know...he hated me in high school. Everyone did but we ended up going to the same college and hitting it off." 

      We talked to Sarah for the whole plane ride. Even as the wheels bumped against the pavement and the plane landed, even though the airport and picking up our luggage. We finally departed, she waddled away and out onto the sidewalk where we caught of glimpse of Brock kissing his wife's forehead before she climbed into the van. 

      As we headed to our hotel, my hand entangled with James I knew that we'd be seeing them again and I knew that people could truly change if they put in the effort. Even if they'd scratched up your face and pushed you on the bus. 

      Most of all I knew that we were both thrilled with the way our lives turned out and that we'd go through everything again to get here again, from the first day we met up to that day at Russell Miller's funeral. What I was also sure of at the moment was that little feet would be pattering around our house very soon and we'd be a family, at last. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239K 6.2K 42
Carina Davis is a girl who goes where she needs to everyday, hiding from everyone what really happens at home. Her parents hate her, and they have n...
2.4K 294 35
(Book 1)Chris is just a normal guy in high school but unfortunately he's deaf and he doesn't understand sign language. This makes his life harder. Ho...
79.4K 3K 38
After an accident in eighth grade, Louisa Kelley was blind. Every day was a struggle for her as she tried to adjust to life both at school and at hom...
71 1 19
Colette Anderson―a Filipino American, a junior in Richmill High California who internal struggles. After skipping school, the day that marked the thi...