the inhuman. ✪ ‹ bucky barnes...

By fitzbarnes

Adelaide Morris was just a woman who survived on her own for years after her mother's death, until one day To... More

disclaimer.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twenty one.
twenty two.
twenty three.
twenty four.
twenty five.
twenty seven.
twenty eight.
twenty nine.
thirty.
thirty one.
epilogue.
sequel.

twenty six.

796 25 6
By fitzbarnes

"Ade!" I feel my body calm down after a few minutes and look up to see Bucky on one knee at my side, "Ade, Ade- Are you alright? Hey, look at me."

I look up at him, blinking a few times as I do. How could Lincoln do that to me? Just two hours ago he said he would kill anyone who hurt me, and then he does that?

"I'm okay," I croak out. My throat feels incredibly dry and I still have tingles running up my body. "My legs feel weak, I don't know if I can stand."

"Did Lincoln electrocute you?" He asks. One of his hands holds mine while his other pushes hair off my face. I nod reluctantly, "Why would he do that, Bucky? He's my friend."

His jaw clenches as Coulson, Talbot, FitzSimmons, and Nat come running in. "He's gone?"

I nod, trying to sit up. Bucky sees me struggling and sits behind me, putting his legs on either side of me. I lean back into his chest, thanking him for keeping my sturdy until the dizziness subsides.

"Daisy is out of the system," Fitz checks his tablet. Bucky voices behind me, "I'm going to kill him."

I hit his knee, scolding him. I know he just did a number on me but he's still my best friend.

"There's no need," Talbot says, "Because I'm going to call the President and have that thing shot out of the sky."

My heart stops when Coulson speaks up, "I'm afraid I can't let you make that call."

I lean my head back on Buck's shoulder and close my eyes, my head pounding. His hands run up and down my legs and I relax when I feel his chest rising and falling against my back. All this bickering isn't helping my migraine.

"Are you threatening me? After you just let him escape?" Talbot asks, shocked.

"He didn't escape," May's voice rings. I feel Buck tense under me so I open my eyes, seeing her walk in with Lincoln behind her, his head hung low as he takes out the com.

"You have to be shitting me," Buck says quietly. My eyes bore into him as the conversation continues, but he avoids eye contact.

"If he wasn't on that jet that just flew out of here than who was?" Talbot questions.

"Lash." She responds.

"We knew Daisy was listening and monitoring our every move," Lincoln says, looking anywhere but at me, "So we couldn't tell anyone. She had to believe it was all real."

"I communicated with him by leaving messages on his food trays," May says. I laugh lightly to myself. I knew something was up with that. I guess I'm starting to think like a spy.

My eyes finally meet Lincoln, his expression sad and guilty. He walks over to me but Bucky barks, "I wouldn't. I'm already having a hard time not knocking you out cold right now."

"I'm so sorry, Addie," He says, crouching down at my level. I start to sit up a little but Buck's arm snakes around me tightly, "I didn't have any other option."

"I feel like you did," Bucky says.

"She wasn't supposed to be there," Coulson says. I look up at them, "Sorry. Thought I was saving a friend."

"The plan depended on Daisy listening to everything so that she'd trust me and believe that I really wanted out," He says, still not looking away from me. I bite my lip, an internal battle going on in my mind.

"You had me fooled," Talbot speaks up. Same.

"Even though I wanted to, I never trusted Daisy. Not under Hive's control," He looks up at everyone, "I knew she wouldn't be the one who would greet me."

"Lash could kill Daisy," I speak up. I surprise myself with how horse my voice sounds. I could really use some water.

"It's a risk we had to take," Lincoln answers, "He had the opportunity too before but he let her go. I don't think he's meant to kill her."

"He's meant to kill Inhumans," Bucky bites, annoyed. I start feeling lightheaded again so I lean back onto his chest, "You think she's an exception to the rule?"

"Every Inhuman is here for a reason and serves a purpose," Lincoln says, still on one knee in front of us, "We thought his purpose was to 'cure' us. But now, I believe it's to kill Hive."

I put a hand on my head as I continue to feel foggy. Bucky puts his other arm around me, "I'm bringing her inside."

They nod and the conversation continues, Talbot saying how he knew something was up. He didn't. He just doesn't want us to think Coulson outsmarted him.

"I'm going to carry you, Ade," Bucky whispers to me. I shake my head, "No-"

He doesn't let me protest and picks me up anyway, standing to his feet with ease. I see Lincoln reach out to help, but Buck snaps, "Thin ice."

I know he's doing everything in his power to keep it calm with Lincoln, which I appreciate. I rest my head on his chest and close my eyes as he walks us inside the warm base. It was so cold out there.

"Do you want to lay down in your room?" He asks softly. I shake my head, "No. Can we go to the common area? I want to be a part of everything still."

He doesn't argue with me and takes me to the common area, putting me on the couch. He leaves for a moment but then walks back in with a bottle of water. I smile graciously at him, taking the open bottle and drinking it down. God. That feels so much better. He lifts me up slightly and sits down, placing my head on his lap. He runs his hand through my hair as I lay there with my eyes closed. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me, Ade," He says, his voice delicate. For someone as strong and intimidating as he is, he sure is a softy. "I would do anything for you."

"I know," I hum. I look up at my broken but strong man, feeling nothing but adoration for him. "Thank you for being civil with Lincoln."

"I'm really trying," He says honestly, "But I want to bash his head in."

I smile slightly, knowing he's not kidding, "I know. But I understand why he did it. I was in the way."

He shakes his head, "I'm still pissed."

"I'll talk to him," I close my eyes again, reaching for his other hand. He meets me half way and takes it in his, holding it in his lap.

About twenty minutes later, the rest of the team walks in and I am close to dozing off. I wake myself up, though.

Nat squats next to the couch, eye level with me, "How you feeling, babe?"

I smile at her, sitting up from Buck's lap, "Better."

I sit on my hands as I look up at everyone, Bucky's hand rubbing circles onto the small of my back.

Suddenly, a tired and weak voice comes from the little command center against the wall, "Rag-tag base, come in."

We all stop and look at each other, knowing the familiar voice. I take a hand out from under my leg and put it on Buck's knee in anticipation.

"This is Agent Daisy Johnson," You could hear a pin drop in here, "I'm coming home."

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding, "Repeat - I'm coming home."

"Oh my God," Lincoln mutters. I look up at him, his face relieved but still concerned. Mack and Yo-Yo come running into the room. I didn't even know they were here, "Was that real?"

"Yeah," Coulson shakes his head, surprised himself that the plan worked, "She's coming home."

-*-

We're all waiting anxiously by the entrance to the hanger once we hear that Daisy has landed. It's been about an hour since she patched in to warn us of her arrival, and everyone has been pacing since. I finally feel back to normal, although there is still a slight ringing in my ear.

Now, I'm standing next to Natasha, holding onto her hand as Bucky stands behind me, his arms wrapped around my waist. We have really never been this touchy feely in public, but I think we're both a bit on edge. I just have this weird feeling in the pit of my gut that I can't shake. Maybe he feels it too.

Suddenly, the giant yellow door slides open and there stands Daisy, her wrists shackled. I gasp at the sight of her. She's deadly pale and her clothes are the same as my vision. Somethings going to happen.

I look up at Bucky, whispering so only he could hear me, "My vision."

He leans down, "It's happening?"

"Not yet," I whisper back, "But it will. Soon."

She eyes us as she is escorted by an agent down the ramp. Lincoln steps forward when he sees her, not knowing what to do. Coulson speaks up first, "Welcome back Agent Johnson."

She looks up at him and a tear slips from her eye. She's back. She's back and she knows what she did. She knows how much she hurt us, emotionally, mentally, and physically.

"It's good to see you," Lincoln speaks up, taking in her appearance.

She breathes in a shaky breath, "Lash died trying to save me."

I don't know if I should feel relieved or saddened by that. I know he's tried to kill me, on multiple occasions. But he saved her.

"Did he manage to kill Hive?" Talbot asks. I'm assuming he did, which is why the sway has been lifted.

But to my surprise, she shakes her head. Natasha looks at me confused. So she's still infected?

"Get her to the med bay," Jemma instructs. The agent nods and escorts Daisy past us. Her eyes linger on me and I gulp, remembering the events of our last encounter all too clearly. And by the look on her face, she does too.

Lincoln turns to me, and I speak to him for the first time since our encounter, "So, Lash wasn't here to kill Hive?"

He licks his teeth, his hands on his hips as he looks down at me, "He was here to save Daisy."

"That wasn't Lash," Jemma says, "It was Andrew." I look around and realize May isn't here anymore.

"He sucked the infection out of her," Natasha says.

"How do we know this isn't a trap?" Talbot asks, "That she isn't under Hive's voodoo spell?"

"Simmons will run a sample," Fitz says. "Then we'll know if she's really back or not."

Everyone disperses, Nat's hand leaving mine as she follows behind Mack and Yo-Yo, talking about something I didn't catch. I see Lincoln walk down the hall alone with his head in his hands and I know that I have to go talk to him. He needs a friend right now.

I detach myself from Bucky, eyeing him. He groans, "You're really going to go talk to him? Already?"

I laugh lightly, "He needs a friend. A real friend."

"Then he shouldn't of electrocuted his only one," He argues. I laugh lightly, he has a solid point.

"I'm going to go talk to him," I say, to which he rolls his eyes, "Go wait in my old room, okay? I'll be in shortly. I promise."

He nods reluctantly, finally letting go of my hand. I walk away from him, feeling his eyes on me as I do so.

I walk to Lincoln's room, knocking on the door. It opens suddenly, and by the look on his face I know that he's shocked to see that it's me.

He clenches his jaw and steps to the side, letting me in. I walk past him, hearing the door shut behind me. I take a deep breath and turn to him, crossing my arms over the embroidered leaf on my chest.

"I am so sorry, Addie," His voice is shaky and he continues to look at the floor, "I just keep messing everything up."

"You didn't mess anything up," I respond, causing him to look up at me. I have a playful smile on my face, "Not with me, at least."

"You're not mad?"

"I was more hurt," I shrug, being honest with him, "I was hurt that you would do that to me. But I get why. If the roles were reversed, I would of done the same thing."

"Why do I feel like Sergeant Barnes doesn't feel the same way?" He asks.

"It doesn't matter what Bucky thinks," I shake my head, "What matters is that I'm not mad at you, Lincoln. It's okay."

He lets out a shaky breath, swallowing hard, "I tried to warn you. You can be very stubborn, you know."

"I've been told," I smile, "You didn't have to hit me so hard, though."

"I knew you'd get right back up," He looks up at me with a smile. His smile dissipates quickly, however. He bites his lip nervously, "I don't think I can get her back after this."

I sigh and open my arms, which makes him walk up to me quickly. He digs his face into my neck as sobs leave his body. This has all been so much for him and he really hasn't caught a break at all. I know he loves Daisy more than anyone. I can't imagine seeing the person you love finally better but knowing there is nothing you can do that will fix what's been done. What's been so out of your reach this whole time.

I rub circles on his back with one hand and hold his head to me with the other. I close my eyes as he cries, probably for the first time in years.

"I'm so sorry, Lincoln," I say, even though my words don't mean anything to him right now, "Why don't you go see her?"

"She's being tested right now," He shakes his head, pulling away from me. He pulls his sleeve past his hands and wipes his face, "I'm sure I'll just be told to get lost."

I nod, unsure of what to do next. Luckily, he speaks up, "Do you mind if I just take a minute alone? I just need to process some things."

"Absolutely," I smile, rubbing his arms, "You know where to find me if you need me."

With that, I left his room. I shuffled down the long hallway to the room I spent many nights in. When I opened the door, I saw the back of Bucky's head as he sat on the couch, reading a newspaper that was on the small coffee table.

I smile to myself as I shut the door quietly, walking up behind him and wrapping my arms around his neck from behind. He didn't jump like I would of, but I'm unsure if that's because he heard me or if it's because he's not easily spooked.

I deep my head and press my lips right below his ear where his beard ends. He leans his head to the side with a content sigh, his hand snaking up and gripping the back of my head. He tilts his head back, looking at me fully. His eyes flutter shut and mine do the same as he leads my face to his with his hand, our mouths moving in sync.

I don't know how or what this feeling in my chest is whenever I'm with him, but whenever Bucky and I share a space it's like I forget the world. It's like I forget everything terrible and awful that's going on around me. It's like I forget about the impending doom that lays before us. It's a blessing and a curse, I suppose.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 536 44
Ellesmere is under S.H.I.E.L.D's radar. After stealing a highly classified military file from them and killing half their soldiers, she goes into hid...
4.9K 235 25
She was a S.H.I.E.L.D agent in the wrong place at the wrong time, and he was a handsome, deadly assassin with a cold past of his own. Before she was...
1M 31.1K 27
(Book one) When Anna Smith enrolled in the army, she was best friends with Bucky Barnes and Steve Rogers. She left them to follow a dream of becoming...
26.1K 673 9
Star is only a child, and her entire life has been dictated by HYDRA, anything she did was what they wanted to do. She is confused and scared, but th...