Ockham's Razor: A Deductive R...

By RichardLittle8

An ad hoc gang perpetrated a nearly flawless bank heist. Now, the Benefactor who ordered the heist is out to... More

Title Page and Dedication
PART 1 - INITIATION
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
PART 2 - EXECUTION
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
PART 3 - RESISTANCE
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
PART 4 - RESTITUTION
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
PART 5 - RESOLUTION
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70

Chapter 46

3 1 0
By RichardLittle8

Ian was having a great time. He was still working Dean's shifts at the gas station, but now that Dave was in on the fact that Ian was seeing Kate, he felt a bit of a joy while working. Kate was not once bothered by the fact that Ian had a menial, minimum wage job. In fact, she reinforced his confidence by claiming that this job showed good character. And, she frequently brought up that her job at the university and his at the gas station would be temporary, as they had a destiny in Fiji. Ian was having a great time.

On the seventh day there was no rest. Ian was pulling an eight-hour day shift at the gas station. That meant that before the supper hour, he would be free to go. He had thoughts of taking Kate to a movie. A new romantic comedy that was topping the lists of movie sales was playing at the Central Mall. If anything, after knowing him for ten days now, it would be a good excuse to snuggle. They had kissed and hugged, but there was little hot passion in their time together. Both were guarded about their privacy. She did not want to yet have Ian over to her place because she said that there were too many prying eyes that would make it uncomfortable for her. She feared one of the people in her condominium was the Benefactor. Fair enough.

As for Ian's place, he was quite embarrassed. He could not believe his fortune to have an intelligent, gorgeous, charismatic woman want to be with him. But, like his relationship with Dave and Dean's pressures on it, he did not want his living conditions, or anything else for that matter, put any pressure on his relationship with Kate. So, his apartment was out of the question.

That left public restaurants, parks, malls and cinemas to have their romantic rendezvous. But that left them very little privacy to explore their passion. So, Ian was hoping that a night at the movies with the latest, hottest rom-com would allow a little passion surface.

With an hour left to go on his shift, his Bluetooth crackled. "Hey everyone. It's Bill. I've had a breakthrough. I have the name, address and details of the person who used that safety deposit box. We should meet to discuss."

"Woo hoo." Lauren was obviously happy.

"Great news, Bill. Rab here. How solid is this info?"

"It is solid. You can't get better."

"What is it?" That sounded like Moussa.

Bill took a firm tone, "I won't say. This is not the most secure means to communicate. Let's just say that we need to meet. Same place, at 3 pm two days from now. I have some stuff to consolidate, and I will be ready then."

"Perfect, I'll be there." Ian was happy. It was perfect.

Ian could not contain himself. He looked around for Dave to see about taking off his last hour, but Dave was not around. Maybe he booked off early. It was quiet at the station, he was going to risk a call to Kate. He needed to see if this Bluetooth contraption could make a phone call.

"Hello, Ian." Her voice was still angelic.

"Hi Kate. Got great news. Bill found out who had the box that we hit. He has all sorts of details."

"Really? Who is it?"

"Bill won't say. But he has called a meeting for two days from now to discuss. He says he needs more time to get more info."

"That is fantastic. Squeeeee!" He could hear her do a dance in the background.

"Do you want to celebrate tonight? We can catch a film."

"Sounds great. I'll meet you at your place."

"Um, I am kind of embarrassed by where I live. I don't have a nice place."

"Ian, I know where you live. I know your building. I used to deliver you your envelopes. I can't be shocked by your place unless you have an arsenal full of weapons in your apartment. It will be fine. I'll meet you there and we'll go to the movie from your place."

"Ah, OK. See you in a little over an hour?"

"See you there, my dear." A new form of endearment. He was in a great place. He was definitely falling for her.

Immediately after his shift, he rode like mad to his apartment. He wanted to get there before Kate so he could grab a shower, jump into clean clothes and do a quick clean up of his apartment.

Unfortunately, as he pulled his bike into his building, Kate is sitting on the stairs inside, waiting for him.

"Hello, handsome. Bearer of good news. How was work today?" She wrapped her arms around him and planted a big kiss on him.

After the kiss broke up, "Um, work was good. Eh, do you want to come up?" There goes his plan for a shower and clean of his apartment.

This elegant woman seemed so out of place in this building. But when he cracked open the door, she seemed far more out of place. Her grace and beauty seemed like it should be in a much fancier place, not a place that a minimum wage earner can afford, without a roommate.

"This is my first time in this apartment. This place is great. It is so cozy and comfortable. I wish I had come in before. I like it here Ian."

Ian was not sure that she was being totally honest. His place was not bad, but not cozy and desirable. Ian thought about going for his shower, but she was bouncing around the living room.

She flopped down on the couch, adopting a semi-reclined posture, exposing her midriff under her t-shirt.

"Can I go take a shower? I just rode like mad to get here. I'm a bit sweaty."

"Go do what you want. I'm happy sitting here. The movie starts in a few hours. We have a lot of time."

He smiled at her. He took his phone, keys and wallet out of his pockets and placed them on the table by the front door. He turned on a fan to get some air circulating, "I'll be back."

He jumped into the shower and washed and rinsed as quickly as he could. He dried up, grabbed some clean clothes, threw on some cologne, and exited the washroom. At the edge of the living room he froze. Kate was talking on his phone. She had not yet noticed him, but she was giggling and chatting animatedly.

"What is going on?" called Ian, with a bit of a panic in his voice.

She smiled her glowing bright smile, "Your friend Dave called. He's a riot!"

Ian relaxed in one way, Dave would not do anything to jeopardise his relationship with her by talking about his past with other women. But he panicked in another way, Dave had so much embarrassing information on Ian that it could make life very embarrassing if she knew what Dave knew. At least, she seemed to be getting along with him.

"Can I get my phone now?"

"OK Dave, Ian wants his phone. Probably to call his girlfriend, haha. Do I give it to him?" She paused. "Dave gave me a message to give you. He's going to need a hand doing the end month stocktaking, he wants you to help out. He will talk to you tomorrow about it."

With that, she said bye to Dave and hung up. She tossed the phone to Ian. Laughing like a school girl.

"Come, sit by me."

Ian, liking that she and Dave got along, plopped down beside her. His eyes fell on her toned midriff once again. He did not realise it until right then, but introducing her to Dave was an area of concern. Dave was a true, loyal, long-time friend, but she was an amazing girlfriend. If they did not get along, he would be forced to make a choice, and regardless of who took priority, he would regret it. But, he did not need to introduce them. They introduced themselves. Unforeseen problem solved.

"What's Dave like? Is he a nice guy?"

"Yeah, Dave's great. He's a fantastic friend. He's the nicest guy I know."

"How did you meet?" She seemed curious. Yet, he felt comfortable with her questions.

"Here. At school. I moved here from Seattle to go to school, and Dave was the first person I met at GPSU. He and I hit it off, and by the half way point of the first semester, he and I were living in the same building. This one as a matter of fact. On another note, I am sorry for the state of the apartment. I would have liked to clean it up for you"

"I don't mind. I like your place."

Ian finished drying his hair, watching Kate out of the corner of his eye. He looked out the window towards the street and noticed the clouds rolling in. "Oh, krap. Looks like some of that prairie rain is coming. We'll have to take a cab to the movies."

"We won't take a cab," she said playfully. Ian looks at her. She continued "Looks like we are going to have to stay in tonight."

He caught a look in her eyes that drew him to sit on his couch beside her. Completely enthralled by her beauty, he seemed unable to resist the sirens call of her eyes. He puts his arm around her shoulders, not sure as to how he should proceed. He was content just to hold her and live in her presence.

The two of them snuggled for a few minutes, ostensibly listening to the radio, but just giving each other time to warm up. Ian, still nervous about being with this beautiful woman, hesitated before moving any muscle.

Usually, the type of woman that he met was not the eye-catching beauty. She was usually someone who was either attractive, but not beautiful, or not attractive, but friendly, and rarely sober, as he was usually drunk too. He always lamented his lack of discriminating tastes when it came to women. He could never take them to bed either. Nevertheless, he created a bit of a legend about himself and how much he has gotten around. Despite what Dave thought, Ian has not had sex with dozens of women. He has had sex with women, yes, but not with dozens. At last count, it was well below what the legends about him told. In addition, none of the women he slept with were throwaway girlfriends or one-night stands. They all meant something to him. But, despite liking them, he would break off the relationship before it got out of hand and commitment was on the horizon. Those women were nice women. However, they were nothing in the league of Kate.

She sensed that he was thinking about something, so she asked, "You seem distant. What are you thinking?"

He thought carefully about how to answer. He decided the truth was the best answer. "You are the most amazing woman I have ever met. You are beautiful, smart, charismatic, you like me, and you don't mind that I'm Indian. I really enjoy being with you, but you are also intimidating, and I really like being with you, seen with you and part of your life. But this is new ground for me. I don't want to mess this up. We are new in this relationship, if that is what this is, and I don't want to do something to destroy what I think is a beautiful thing."

She smiled at him. It was not her radiant, sex appeal smile. It was much more subtle, almost a friendly cum matronly smile. "Ian, you are perfectly fine to think that. I am thinking the same things too. I really like you. You have a sense of adventure I wish I had. Your life, with its bets and daring is a completely different world from me. The fact that you are Indian is of little importance to me. I am intrigued by the man inside the man. You are perhaps the most interesting person I have met. And you are a bit of a hottie too. I was thinking that because we can't go to my place you were only playing with me. I really wanted this to go somewhere. So, I had to make myself Ian brave and come over here."

"I am not so brave. You should see the stuff I talk myself out of."

"Like what?"

"Asking you out."

"Ian, you did, twice. Remember?"

He chuckled. "Well, that was my throwaway line to win your heart. Did it work?"

She took a look at him, and she reached up for his face. Her kiss was wonderful, and unexpected. Ian felt his heart rise in his chest, and it felt as it should. He kissed her back hesitantly, but when she moved in for another kiss, he kissed her back with fervour.

The rain hit the windows of the apartment with the ferocity only a prairie thunderstorm could muster. For nearly an hour Great Plains and Saint Barbara had the precious elixir of life dropped from the skies onto dry land, soaking the people, fields and city. Ian and Kate did not notice the weather, so focussed on each other and their bodies as they writhed in unadulterated passion for each other.

Breathing hard, sweaty and still fully aroused, he rolled off the couch and started to get dressed.

"What are you doing?" Her query was plain and almost juvenile.

"Don't we want to see the movie?"

"We can always go tomorrow. I want to cuddle with you. The afterglow is the best part." She smiled a coy little smile at him.

He pulled off his shirt again and sat down on the couch, squeezing his frame behind hers. She laid her head on his chest as she leaned into his body. He could look down and see her naked form leaning into him, and he felt happy.

Nothing was said. Nothing needed to be said. Ian, counting his blessings that this beautiful, smart woman was willing to be with him was completely at ease with the world. Finding the Benefactor was a long way from his brain tonight.

"We need to think about either going to that movie, or getting you home. Want me to call a cab?"

She got up, crossed the apartment to Ian's bedroom door. She looked in, turned around and declared, "Go see the movie if you want. I won't need a cab. I'm staying the night right in here."

Ian got up, turned off the lights and headed to heaven.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 58 24
✨Completed! ✨ Six of Crows AU: Set after Crooked Kingdom. The Crows are all still together. Matthias isn't dead, and they are all still working toget...
4.4K 202 12
A normal, everyday woman is down on her luck. She's single, lives on her own, and is about to lose her apartment. Her bar waitress job isn't enough t...
88.6K 1.9K 58
He craves emotions, feelings, but he doesn't show it. She used to crave emotions, feelings, but now she doesn't. If it means to love him and get the...