Ockham's Razor: A Deductive R...

By RichardLittle8

An ad hoc gang perpetrated a nearly flawless bank heist. Now, the Benefactor who ordered the heist is out to... More

Title Page and Dedication
PART 1 - INITIATION
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
PART 2 - EXECUTION
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
PART 3 - RESISTANCE
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
PART 4 - RESTITUTION
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
PART 5 - RESOLUTION
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70

Chapter 10

12 1 0
By RichardLittle8

Upon his return to Great Plains, the first thing Ian did was quit his job delivering pizza. He chafed at responsibility, and delivering pizza meant that he had responsibility and a socially inferior position within the community. Now that he had a bit of cash, and more to come, he could focus on getting a job where he would enjoy the job, have little imposed responsibility, and not be looked down upon by everyone but minimum wage earners. Besides, for one plane ride, he had more cash than many months of delivering mediocre pizza across a never-satisfied customer base.

With Kate nearly completely dropped from his memory, Ian started working out his plan to manage a getaway from the location on Kingfisher Avenue. He looked around his apartment to find a map of the city. He could not find one. Now he needed to get one, but a good one that showed plenty of detail. And he had to do this without raising any suspicions.

Taking a gamble, he decided to get Dave involved, but only as far as the map went. He had the genesis of a decent cover story that would, hopefully, get Dave's curiosity a satisfactory nugget to chew on, but also, disassociate any news of a bank robbery from Ian's need for a map.

He got on the phone and called Dave's cell. "Dave, you up for a bit of lunch?"

"Nah, I can't. I'm broke until payday." Dave had himself a reasonable job at a gas station. It offered him flexibility in hours so that he could go to school, which was the reasonableness of it. It also offered near minimum wage pay, which was the hard part. The money never lasted more than a few days when rent, food and beer were purchased. Dave continually tried to get Ian to join him, citing the good time and common-sense boss there. But Ian had problems with the idea of a minimum wage job, even one not related to pizza. Despite habitually needing money, Ian could not lower his pride enough to be a gas jockey.

Ian, needing to engage Dave, offered "Don't worry about it, I'll buy. I managed to get a few more dollars in a bet" he lied, "and I've got a small favour to ask of you."

Ian was betting on the fact that Dave would never let Ian down if he had the power to assist. He was also hoping that Dave was curious about this bet that had been "made" without Dave's knowledge. The last thing Ian wanted to do was hurt his friend. So, he waited, holding his breath, until Dave finally acquiesced to the lunch.

"I'll meet you at your apartment in 30 minutes. I've got to pay a bill first" Ian offered.

"I'll see you then, wut."

With that, Ian ended the call. He felt a little dirty as he had never lied to Dave before. While this was not a serious lie as far as lying went, it was more unpleasant than was comfortable. Ian took a moment and relaxed, trying to convince himself that one day, Dave would know all. In the meantime, he would have to find some way to make sure Dave did not ever find out about what was up.

Ian grabbed his jacket, the packet of bills, and headed out. It was time to pay three months rent, three month's of an electricity bill, and pay back that aggressive brute who loaned him money four months ago. This would clear the pressing bills. The rest would have to wait.

Forty-five minutes later, Ian met up with Dave on the steps of the apartment building they both shared. Ian apologised for his tardiness as he had to wait quite a while when paying his rent. His landlord had decided to take the time to lecture him on the need to pay on time. He then demanded an extra months rent, in advance, to ensure that Ian would be able to pay. So, Ian, already going through the five thousand dollars faster than he wanted, dished out some more of his money.

"What bet did you win?" queried Dave as soon as he saw Ian walking down the sidewalk.

"I bet some UGP goofball two hundred bucks that I could balance on the back wheel of my bike longer than he could stand on one leg" Ian lied. "I knew that he had put down a few, so I kind of goaded him into it."

"In other words, you pretty well guaranteed yourself a win."

"Sure did."

"I don't know brother; that is not like you. You usually need the challenge."

Ian, fearing that he was starting to act out of character responded sheepishly, "Well, I needed the money for rent. The Goat has been pressing me a lot lately." The Goat was Ian's nickname for his landlord. One of Ian's most puerile amusements was to give a nickname to just about everybody he met that did not immediately impress him.

"If you gave up on gambling as your only way of living, and came to work where I work, you could have two incomes" responded Dave with his usual pitch for Ian to come to work with him.

"Not me. Respectability is not something I seek, crave or deserve." This was one of Ian's continual responses to Dave's attempt to get him a real job. But, in reality, he wanted respectability. He just did not want to do it on someone else's terms.

They arrived at the Diner, Ian opened the door to Dave and whispered "Lunch is on me, just don't try to break the bank." Ian was hoping this was enough to put the thought of money and work out of Dave's head.

Dave responded "Don't worry, I'll only eat three platefuls."

Five minutes later, they were each with a cup of black coffee steaming in front of them, lunch ordered. Ian decided to go a bit bigger than usual, and ordered some tomato soup with his cheeseburger platter. At his urging, Dave ordered a plate of perogies and sour cream with his everything omelette.

Ian was glad he could do this. Dave, while wise, frugal and loyal to a fault, would rarely spend any extra money on anything that would seemingly be pleasurable. Ian did not try to determine why, he just accepted it. But sitting in the Diner, with the smells of fried food, spices and listening to the bustle of a small city coming to eat, Ian decided that he was going to ensure that Dave enjoyed his meal. Instead of trying to work his charm on Dave to get his favour, he waited until the food was delivered and they were well into their meal before he broached the subject of a map.

"Dave, I've picked up another bet for a bike and car race. The only thing is, I cannot pick the start point, but I need to pick a finishing point. I have a few weeks yet, but I was wondering if you had a rather detailed map of the city that I could use to help me plot out a route?"

Without stopping his chewing action, Dave replied with a question "Who bet you?"

This question knocked him off his patter. He anticipated no questions, and Dave was too quick to deflect. Ian started to panic. He took a bite from his burger, a spoonful of soup and finally, a sip from his coffee, all to give him time to think. After that lengthy delay, all Ian could come up with was a vapid answer involving his previous lie about the guy he "beat" standing on one leg. He could work out a double or nothing bet. But that would get needlessly complicated. Best to keep the lie as close to the truth as possible. "Someone who saw me when I won that race at Trailhead Monument. They thought that I would be an easy mark because I was so daring. But at least I get to negotiate the terms of the race. I am going to stack it."

"And you could not pass that up, wut."

"The money is good. However, the rules we agreed upon are more about trying to level the playing field so that I don't have a significant advantage. He chose the start spot. I get to choose the finish spot. He chose the distance, I chose the time of day. He chose the date and I chose the option of not having to travel the same route. We each hold a veto over the start and finish spots. Like, if I put my finish spot in the middle of the City Park Zoo, he will likely veto it. If he chooses a date when there is three feet of snow on the ground, I get to veto it." The more Ian lied, the more he looked forward to taking part in a challenge like this. It seemed very credible to him. After all, it was largely true. He was hoping that Dave was buying it. "So, what I'm looking for is whether you have a rather detailed map of the city. I want to pick out a finishing spot that he will not veto, but would be good enough for me to win."

Dave took all this in without showing any emotion on his face. He kept putting perogies into the sour cream and shoving them into his mouth during Ian's explanation, seemingly not breathing. When Ian was done, Dave cleared his throat, took a sip of his coffee and began "Ian, I have no map like this."

Ian was surprised and disappointed. He had been thinking that it was almost a sure thing that Dave would have such a map. Controlling his confusion and voice he shook his head. "No problems, brother. I was just hoping."

Dave interjected. "You did not let me finish. Why don't you try some of the online mapping programs? There are some with great imagery of Great Plains, and you can even see the back alleys and bike paths. Have you never heard of GoogleEarth?"

This news started Ian to thinking about this. "How easy are they to use?"

"GoogleEarth in particular is extremely easy to use. It is a virtual globe and you scroll in and out with your mouse and you get very detailed satellite and aerial photography on your screen."

Ian, who did not own, nor could he afford a computer, looked impressed. "Can I see this at your apartment?"

"Of course, but for that, you need to buy me dessert" Dave joked.

"Brother, if this program does what you say it will do, I'll buy you dessert for a week" Ian laughed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

TEARS OF RAGE By Sway Loft

Mystery / Thriller

92 9 56
It is an urban suspense thriller about a man who gets entangled in a bank heist, in which his close friend is killed, and the other culprits are out...
1K 19 49
When the infamous Edward Helten is released from prison after a 35 year stretch for the biggest heist in recent history, he finds himself out for blo...
359 9 21
Joel, a struggling office worker trying to make it paycheck by paycheck in the overwhelming city of Los Angeles. With his newly wed wife wanting a ch...
1 0 14
Leader of the Horsemen of Revelstoke, Jaden Bridges, tries to get out of the heisting game. The crew decides to hit the Revelstoke Depository to go o...