Ockham's Razor: A Deductive R...

By RichardLittle8

An ad hoc gang perpetrated a nearly flawless bank heist. Now, the Benefactor who ordered the heist is out to... More

Title Page and Dedication
PART 1 - INITIATION
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
PART 2 - EXECUTION
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
PART 3 - RESISTANCE
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
PART 4 - RESTITUTION
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
PART 5 - RESOLUTION
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70

Chapter 5

21 2 10
By RichardLittle8

Ian made his way up to the laboratory at the University of the Great Plains. Even though he was not a student here, he was familiar enough with the campus. His school was the cross city rival Great Plains State University. Ian had come down here on many occasions to check out books at the library, watch and bet on some sporting events, or just to party with the university crowds. He was mostly down there to see if he could win a quick bet or two from other students.

He opened the door to the complex of laboratories. He took a quick glance around, looking for any indication of where exactly he was to go. He then saw her, sitting at a desk poring over some papers. He was struck once again by her striking beauty. She still had the flawless skin look beneath the beautiful locks. The only difference was that this time, she had her hair up in a pony tail, keeping her looking professional, almost business like.

He imagined what it would be like to be able to walk anywhere with her on his arm. He was not a bad looking fellow, and indeed, he had no trouble finding women who were willing to go on a date with him. However, she had an elegance, allure and grace that were well out of his league. Ian dated women who liked beer and hockey games. Kate looked like she enjoyed champagne and the symphony. However, she did look like she had a regular rebelliousness about her that would find her in a ball shirt and ball cap at a baseball game, or to another extreme, wearing leather and studs at a metal concert.

"Can I help you?" The query from a strange student brought Ian right back to earth.

He looked at her, smiled and told her "I'm here to see Kate."

"Which Kate, we have several."

Ian smiled, but realised he did not know her last name. "Uhh, I don't know her name, but she is testing me for something to do with adrenaline junkies."

"Oh, OK. I'll get her." She quickly walked off, and Ian followed her path with his eyes hoping to catch another early glimpse of Kate.

Kate appeared around the corner with the other student who pointed in his direction. He smiled at her to let her know he was there, as if she needed it.

"Welcome to the lab." The warmth in her voice made him feel completely at ease. "You can come with me and we'll go to my desk.

He followed her promptly followed her to her desk, trying not to disturb her but wanting to get her attention. However, as soon as he sat down, she was all business. That was a bit disappointing. She suddenly did not seem particularly pleased to see him, but rather more annoyed at having been interrupted at her current task. She started clearing stuff off her desk, Ian was surprised that she did not appear ready despite knowing that he was going to be there at 2 o'clock. Did she expect him to not show? Ian's pride teased him with the notion that his presence knocked her off her game. That could not be true.

Ian did a quick assessment. Two options played out in front of him. She is obviously behind schedule. It is either because the tests are not going well, or Ian provides no value to the study. Ockham's Razor identifies the simplest scenario. She has no reason to doubt him, or doubt what he could offer. But it is simpler that the scheduling and testing is not going smoothly. Simpler to analyze the past than analyze the future. She is behind schedule.

Hoping to re-break the ice, he cleared his throat and offered an exploratory "Hello".

"I'm glad to see you made it. This should not take too long. We have everything ready for you."

"I'm always glad to help", Ian started, trying to thaw her almost complete, ice cold, façade.

She moved him over to a study carol desk, with its own light. "Please, have a seat, and take your time to complete this questionnaire. Once complete, I'll sit with you to verify if there are any follow up questions."

"I'm certain I'll have no problems completing this." He tried a little brag, maybe she would be impressed.

"I'm certain you won't", replied Kate, in an undeniably professional voice. With that, she dropped the questionnaire and pencil on the desk, turned on the light and wished him a silent good bye.

Ian, a bit put out, perhaps more disappointed, sat down to complete the questionnaire. Before he started, he glanced over to Kate's desk, and saw that she was not even there. He peered around the room, and saw that he was alone, except for the student that welcomed him when he arrived to the department. He was not aware that anyone had left, but evidently, he was all alone, save that one student.

He opened the questionnaire. The first page was the requisite personal information sheets. Although there was an option on the sheet stating that he could use a pseudonym, he decided to forego the charade, and just use his real name. After all, he was not signing up for some online mailing list, he was participating in legitimate research at a respected university. The following several pages were rather bland questions about what he would find exciting, his motivations for activity, his thoughts on death and his fears. There was nothing of interest to him there. However, he was not the one seeking a degree in psychology.

He finished the last question, closed up his booklet, grabbed his pencil and looked around the room. Kate was back. He would take the survey to her, and see if he could try to woo her once again.

He rose from the desk, straightened his clothes. He wished that he had actually worn something a bit more stylish, and casually made his way over to where she was sitting. He took his time getting to her at her desk because he was looking for any indication that she found him, even in the slightest, a bit interesting or attractive. She gave off no clues, and before he could find some way of breaking the ice, he was at her desk.

"I see you've completed the survey", she broke the silence with a decidedly cheerful voice. Ian, pleased that she seemed to be in a better mood than when he went in, wanted to discover if her good mood was due to her interest in her survey, or in him. He had to resist assessing it because he was certain that his performance was not the simplest reason for her good mood. He was good at assessments, but hated being wrong.

"I, umm, really enjoyed completing that for you. Are you able to tell me how it's going to be used?" he managed to stammer out, prolonging the inevitable departure. Immediately he regretted it. The question seemed forced.

"Certainly. This is one of fifty surveys that we have either collected, or are in the process of collecting. The results are going to be quantified by another student here, and we have a framework theory by which we are going to apply these numbers. Once we have done that, we will have some preliminary results about whether risk takers and dare-devilish thrill seekers like yourself have any fundamental differences from, say, someone who seeks his thrills in the stock market."

Not interested too much in the answer, Ian remained focussed on Kate. Here, she was, a beautiful woman, who had an intelligence that was enviable, a confidence that comes from being both beautiful and intelligent, spending time with him. He decided right then and there to go for it, "Umm, Kate? Would you like to out to a club one night with me? We could do a dinner first, followed by a movie, and dancing?" He pulled out all the stops, knowing he could not afford to do it all, but he had to try to sway her.

Kate looked shocked. She looked around the room and Ian could tell that he had put her on the spot. He regretted overstepping immediately, just as he had at their previous meeting. He could see that at least one other student had heard his proposition, and she slowed her work down, obviously waiting for Kate's response.

Her eyes slowly came back to rest on Ian's eyes. With a complete, professional, dead-pan expression, she told him "I'm sorry Ian. I don't date people participating in our studies. I am very flattered, but I cannot accept."

Deflated, but trying not to show it, Ian replied with a forced smile, "Thank you, I'll make my way to the door".

Kate called out to him, "Don't go just yet."

Ian was getting a little excited, was there still a chance? She ran off to the back office and returned about a minute later holding an envelope. She said to him as she pushed the envelope into his hand, "The twenty-five dollar honorarium for participating. Thanks."

Maintaining his smile, trying to drink in a last look at her, he mumbled a shy "You're welcome", slowly turned, walked out and left the laboratory. He felt good that he had helped out in Kate's study, and he looked at things like a realist. Here he was, nothing to offer her but himself, and she did not bite. What could he expect? He was not a Casanova, or an athlete with prospects. He was an average student, with a moderate debt load, that liked gambling and action. He would move on.

Once outside, he cracked open the envelope, because he needed the bus money, and inside he found the twenty-five dollars, and a small note. On the note it read "I like risk takers. Asking me out was a risky thing to do. Call me" with her phone number.

Ian chuckled to himself. He turned, looked back at the building and smiled broadly and overtly. He had not realised it prior to that, but he had done what he wanted to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 8 40
Lexi has been through hell and back, literally. Her plan is to keep her head down, focus on herself and escape her past. That is until her mom goes m...
230K 7.6K 24
Highest ranking #2 in crime; As an experienced detective, you've seen almost everything under the sun. From murders to robberies, there's nothing qui...
5.1K 598 49
When a devious young woman cons two men into pulling off an easy heist, she's forced to run for her life when her plan goes sideways. To complicate m...
57 0 45
When a theft at an investment bank goes wrong, Roger Taylor and Laura Barnes begin to investigate the crime. They soon discover that the crime is onl...