Life in Search ✔️

נכתב על ידי Honey_Money_

Book 1.5 in the "Life in-" series Ashton McClain is lost. After two years of spiraling out of control he has... עוד

Master Reading List
Hello
1 ~ Lost
2 ~ Feisty
3 ~ Interesting
4 ~ Fine
5 ~ Boo
6 ~ Weak
7 ~ Bored
8 ~ Changed
9 ~ Annoyed
10 ~ Jealous
11 ~ Hothead
12 ~ Space
13 ~ Friends
14 ~ Pretty
15 ~ Reading
16 ~ Blessed
17 ~ Nerve
18 ~ Listen
19 ~ Date
20 ~ Flirt
21 ~ Smoothie
22 ~ Party
23 ~ Beautiful
24 ~ Friends
25 ~ Fighting
26 ~ Present
27 ~ Wrong
28 ~ Love
29 ~ Selfish
30 ~ Miserable
31 ~ Secret
32 ~ Dream
33 ~ Trap
34 ~ Tamales
35 ~ Win
36 ~ Lover Boy
37 ~ Thanks
38 ~ Leave
39 ~ Shame
40 ~ Gay
4 1 ~ Alabama
42 ~ Bliss
43 ~ Hooky
44 ~ Potter
46 ~ Dating
47 ~ Kiss
48 ~ Monster
49 ~ Gift
50 ~ Free
51 ~ Oh
52 ~ Hospital
53 ~ Waiting
54 ~ All of it
55 ~ Happy
56 ~ You
57 ~ Children
58 ~ Weird
59 ~ Light
Epilogue ~ Ashlett
Sequels and Spinoffs
Bonus ~ Birthday
Bonus ~ Hufflepuff
Bonus ~ Cuddles
Bonus ~ Always

45 ~ Finally

35.7K 1.9K 1.2K
נכתב על ידי Honey_Money_

I'm going to die.

That's the only conclusion I can come up with as I catch Sage's pitches. He told me he was a decent pitcher, not the freaking messiah. I can feel my hand already bruising.

Wincing as I pull my glove off, I make my way over to the dugout. My pain is put aside when I find Scarlett talking to her brother, worry evident on her face.

I must admit, my clothes always seem to look better on her.

"Any advice?" I ask, pulling her in for a hug.

"Don't get hurt." She states, taping my cheek before walking off.

Knock on wood, but I have a feeling that's the only possible outcome from tonight.

Scanning the crowd, it takes a second for me to pick my jaw up off the ground. So. Many. Scouts. Honest to God, I've never seen so many radar guns in my life.

"All this for you?" I ask Sage in awe.

He shrugs, "I guess."

"You guess?" I repeat in disbelief. I guess the winning lotto numbers. I guess what the cafeteria will be serving for mystery meat.

You don't guess if the growing crowd of scouts is for you. That's the type of shit you know.

"It's not a big deal, you're the one going to an SEC school for football." He snaps, a little more riled up than he's letting on.

Holding up a hand in surrender, I pat his back. "You're right, just do your thing and I'll catch it."

Or try to.

*****

The game is a walk in the park. Honestly, I have no other way to describe it. Sage threw a perfect game. Which meant I caught a lot of balls, but it was worth it.

Something tells me that pretty soon James and I won't be the only ones with SEC scholarships.

"You good?" I ask Sage, packing my stuff up.

He nods before looking off into the crowd. "No way." He mutters before jogging off.

Overly confused and slightly concerned, I follow after him. Stopping in my tracks when I find him hugging a guy, all the Rhodes kids huddled around him.

Who the hell is he?

Setting my bag down, making my presence known, Scar runs towards me. Holding back a protest as she throws herself onto me, I twirl her around. I could get used to this.

"Sage, my man." The guy says, clapping him on the back. Right, I forgot he was here. "Letty and I were betting on whether or not you would hit number 5 just for running his mouth."

Letty, where have I heard that nickname before?

"I thought about it." Sage shrugs and I want to laugh. I had to call a timeout to talk him out of drilling the poor guy. He was an ass, don't get me wrong, but he didn't deserve a concussion. "Decided he wasn't worth it."

"Ha!" Scarlett shouts, pointing to the guy overly excited, "Pay up."

I haven't seen her this happy in a long time, it's almost as if she's a child again. Her eyes seem a little brighter, her laugh a little cheerier. It's... strange. And it's all for this guy.

He turns his attention to me with a grin, "Sup, man, I'm RJ."

And that's when it all snaps into place. RJ's mother was the woman who caught me eavesdropping on Scarlett in the store months ago.

They're close.

It's almost as if I'm not even here.

Ignoring the hand extended towards me, my grip on Scarlett tightens. A sharp pain to my side informs me that my attitude has been noticed.

Fine, but only for her. "Ashton." I state monotonously, shaking his hand with a death like grip.

"Tough man to be able to withstand one of Letty's jabs. She knocked the breath out of me earlier." RJ attempts to joke, trying to appear like a long-lost friend.

"I've had practice." I offer bluntly. Just like I've had practice knowing how to make her smile, laugh, and moan.

Thinking it's best to leave before I shove my foot into my mouth, I kiss Scarlett swiftly on the lips and scram.

Who the fuck does that guy think he is? All nice and huggy.

"Why do you seem pissed?" Gabe asks, eating a leftover hot dog from the concession stand.

"Fucking RJ." I mutter, watching them walk to the parking lot.

"Shit, I forgot he was here!" Gabe exclaims, that same stupid happiness taking over.

I scoff, "What, are you going to flock to him too?"

He's not that impressive.

"Nah, I'll see him later. Now is his time with them." He shrugs and I roll my eyes. "You met him, right?"

"Oh, I've met him alright." Safe to say I'm not a fan.

"Oh, no." Gabe says, pointing an accusatory finger in my direction. "Tell me you didn't go all jealous, alpha male on him."

My eyes go back to the six figures hanging around the parking lot, the twins shoving something into their mouths as Scarlett hugs him.

"You're so dead, this is great."

"What's the big deal?" I demand, glaring at him.

"The big deal is that he's like Scarlett's older brother. He's literally the only person she couldn't shut out after the accident." He informs me and I bite my tongue.

That information really isn't making me feel any better.

"I don't go all alpha male." I state defensively.

"Yes, you do. You go all, my girl, must prove she's mine. If it weren't for the fact that I know Scarlett's already about to rip you a new one, I'd tell you to chill." He laughs, making me sound like a cave man.

I don't do that.

"I mean, I kissed her." I try to reason. Maybe a little forceful but she's never had a problem with it before.

He just continues to laugh his ass off, waving goodbye to head to his car.

Deciding to give this a second chance, I make my way back over to the Rhodes. Wrapping my arms around Scarlett, I pull her back into my chest. Resting my chin in her neck, I watch them say goodbye.

"I'll see you guys later." RJ says, turning back to me with an overly nice smile. "It was nice meeting you, man."

"Likewise." I admit, only slightly lying.

An aggressive elbow to the stomach has me holding my breath. Why is she so violent?

"You know, Sweetheart, if you keep doing that, I'm going to bruise." I whisper, purposely trailing my lips across her collarbone.

But I could always give her one.

"No shit, that's the point." She snaps, moving out of my hold. Even I have to common sense to feel afraid as I take in the rage burning in her eyes. "Now get over there an apologize to my friend."

"I don't like him." Pouting, my arms reach out for her. I could really use a hug right about now.

Gulping, I brace myself for her fury as she storms back to me.

"Let me make something very clear." A finger stabs my chest, "You acting like a child isn't cute. I've known RJ since I was in diapers. So help me, God, Ashton, if you don't go over there and make nice I will never talk to you again." 

My stomach drops to my knees. She doesn't mean that. Okay, maybe she means that a little.

"But-"

My protest falls short as I'm literally shoved towards an older muscle car. Damn, don't tell me this is RJ's. I might actually start to like the dude.

Offering one last apologetic glance back, the middle finger reminds me of why I have to do this. She really won't speak to me if I don't.

"I figured you'd be over here sooner or later." RJ says for a hello.

I scoff, "What made you think that?" He doesn't know anything about me.

"First off, I know Letty. That type of attitude doesn't fly with her." I crack my knuckles at that stupid nickname. "Secondly, if you like her even a fraction of the amount that she likes you, you would apologize for embarrassing her."

I glare at him, "Scarlett doesn't-"

"Like you." He finishes, waving me off. "Yeah, if you believe that you're stupider than I thought."

What is with this guy, he's worse than Gabe with the assumptions.

"I'm not mad for the way you acted. I don't blame you, but I am gonna warn you."

It's my turn to wave him off, "I've already been threatened within an inch of my life numerous times."

He smiles, "Who scared you the most?"

Sage took me off gauged since he did it first. Stella actually made me nervous. "The twins, they could kill me and make sure no one knew about it." I admit.

I haven't looked at them the same since. The promise of lasering my fingertips off still haunts me.

"Double trouble." He smirks.

That's an understatement.

"I'm sorry for my attitude, I just got-"

"Jealous." He finishes for me.

"Sure." It's really hard to mean my apology when he speaks for me.

"It's nice to know someone's there for my little Letty, but tell me, how do you feel?" He asks, not even focusing on me.

I'm really about to talk to a complete stranger about this. Yeah, I guess I am. "I love her."

He snorts, "That much is obvious. What do you plan on doing with it?"

I shrug, "I don't know."

"Why don't you ask her out, stupid?" He slaps my arm and I glare.

We aren't at that level yet.

"It hasn't really ever been the right moment." I admit, like ever.

"What's held you back?" He asks.

"Well, for starters I didn't know her parents were dead for two months. Then I got advice it would be best to wait." I start.

He holds up a pause sign, "Did Ella tell you that?" I nod and he groans, "I could go on a whole other lecture on how much that stagnant situation bothers me but continue."

Join the club. "Then things got heated but it just felt off. I was going to ask her last week, but she was on her period and grumpy."

"God, you dealt with her mood swings?" He asks mildly impressed.

"Of course, I even watched Harry Potter and I hate that shit." I say.

He nods, appeasing me in a new light. "Alright, I'll save the threatening for a different day. I'll leave you with some advice."

I scoff, this better be good.

"Don't wait for a perfect moment, make the moment perfect."

Wow, that's the type of quote you find on a Hallmark card. Letting that set in, I offer him a real smile. "Thanks, Man."

Clapping my shoulder, he climbs in the car. "Don't mention it, kid, just don't screw it up."

I'm stunned as he drives off, I'm not going to mess this up.

Walking back over, I lower my head in shame. I over reacted and it was too much. Wrapping my arms around Scarlett just like I did earlier, I sigh. She doesn't budge, finding her nails overly intriguing.

The silent treatment.

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart." I whisper, kissing her temple. So sorry.

"You should be." She snips.

Dropping my arms like she burned me, I prepare for the lecture. She jumps onto my tailgate, staring up at me with angry eyes.

"He said we were cool." That's got to count for something.

I can see the emotions moving through her face. Understanding, confusion, anger- all moving too fast for me to pinpoint the strongest one.

"Why did you act like that?" She demands and I want to scream.

Because I love you and no matter how hard I try to show you, nothing ever sticks. Because even when I get to be close to you, I can see you add a sliver of separation. I get part of you but I want everything.

"Fuck it." I mutter, deciding RJ is right. I'm done waiting.

Crashing my lips to hers, I get shoved off.  "I want an answer."

Okay, not the best strategy. Maybe I really am a caveman.

"My answer, Scarlett, is that I like you." I admit, rubbing my face. Five months have led to this moment and it's in our school parking lot in the middle of a fight.

Smooth, Ashton, real smooth.

"I like you too, but you don't see me being rude to your friends." She states calmly.

See, this is the problem. She knows I have feelings for her and just admitted she has them too and she wants to do nothing about it. Am I just supposed to be okay with that?

She just stares at me like I'm completely clueless. "No, Scarlett, I don't just like you. I actually have feelings for you and for some reason you just don't get it. I've tried to make my feelings blatantly obvious and wait patiently for you to understand but you never see it."

Her jaw drops, wearing an expression that asks, are we really doing this right now?

Yeah, I guess we are because it's too late to turn back now.

"Right now, you're doubting everything I just said and it's driving me insane that you don't understand." I say, reading her like an open book as I walk up to her. "And yeah, I was a big, jealous asshole tonight but it's only because I can't stand it when someone else makes you laugh."

And that's an issue but I'm working on it.

The panic is evident on her face which causes me to panic. Well, shit, maybe this wasn't the best time. Maybe there wasn't meant to be a good time and I should've just stayed quiet.

"I understand if you don't feel the same way. It's totally fine but I don't think I could hold that in any longer." I admit, knowing the rejection is coming as I begin to walk to my door.

I'm jerked back towards her. "Don't be stupid." She whispers and before I can respond her lips are on mine.

Well, that's not a no.

Breaking apart, I take in her wild eyes and swollen lips as I rest my forehead against hers. "You're so beautiful."

She rolls her eyes as I peck her forehead.

"And smart." I add with a kiss to her temple.

"And funny." My lips press against her cheek.

Glancing back at her with a smirk, I can tell how uncomfortable my words are making her. "I think you need more reassurance." Good thing I could literally do this all night.

Kissing her again, I move to her jaw. "You're so feisty."

It's actually my favorite things about her.

"So determined."

She cups the back of my head.

"And kind."

"And you're tough." I comment, knowing by this point my words are useless as I kiss her neck.

"You're so stubborn." I whisper onto her collarbone, holding back a laugh when she doesn't giggle.

"So. So. So stubborn." I add between kisses, her grip on my head tightening as she fights me.

"And violent." I stay in the same spot, earning a giggle out of her.

Squeezing her hips, I grin. She may be stubborn but I'm resilient.

"Do you know," I start, moving my jersey off her shoulder. "That I love your laugh."

It's quite possibly my favorite sound, purposely kissing her collarbone just to hear her giggle once more.

"And your hair."

"I absolutely love the way you look in my clothes." I admit, there's a reason I gave her a whole bag of them.

"They make you look so sexy." She gasps at this, clearly not expecting that word.

That's why I used it.

"Not that you need my clothes for that." I add smugly, it's just a bonus.

Her fingers tug on my hair, "I love it when you do that."

For a while I take my time kissing her skin, I've waited forever to do this freely and I don't think I'll ever get enough.

Planting my lips on hers once more, I finally stop. "But you know what my absolute favorite thing in the world is?"

Resting my forehead on hers, I drink in the flabbergasted expression on her face. Too stunned to talk. In a daze, her fingers trace my lips.

Ever the artist.

Clasping my hand over hers, I smile, "It's that you are my person. More importantly, you're my light."

And I love you.

*****

Laying in the bed of my truck, wrapped up in each other, I decide to finally break the silence.

"Scarlett Rain, will you be my girlfriend?" I finally ask, the words almost sounding fake.

"Yes." She says with a dreamy smile and before I can even freak out her face falls. "No!"

"Wait, what?"

She flies up in a panic. "No. No. No. No. No."

Please, stop saying that word. "Sweetheart, what's the-"

"I'm getting custody, Ashton." She states, rocking back and forth.

Oh, wow. "That's wonderful."

"No, it's not!" She shouts, "We can't happen."

Cautiously moving next to her, I try to understand. "Is there a rule against it?"

She shakes her head. "No, it's just that I have so much to deal with and you're so young. There's a whole life out there, a pretty good one waiting for you three hours away and I can't do this."

I just blink. "What can't you do?"

"I can't hold you back. I can't get attached to someone who's going to leave. I can't ever give you all of my attention or focus because I do carpool and sleepovers. My days begin with making sure breakfast is made and ends with hours of helping with homework." She rants, making a very solid argument.

That doesn't mean she's right.

"You shouldn't have to settle." She mutters, resting her chin on her knees.

And you really need to stop being so selfless.

Sighing, I pick her up, noting that this is sorta becoming our thing. "You haven't said anything I don't already know."

She opens her mouth to protest and I stop her.

"I've always admired how you care for your siblings and I would never dream about coming first." Like ever, that's too selfish even for me. "I've already lived an eventful life, trust me when I say, there's nothing I'm missing out on as long as I'm with you."

Half the time the Rhodes family is more than enough entertainment.

"And I'm not the one settling, in my opinion that'd be you. I like you. I haven't gone anywhere in the last five months and I promise you, I'm not going anywhere." I tighten my hold, hoping she understands how strongly I mean that.

Sniffling, she looks up at me sheepishly. "It's really hard to be stubborn when you're being so cute."

Good to know. "Do you feel better?"

She nods, pecking me on the cheek.

"Alright, let's try this again." I start, pausing for dramatics. "Scarlett Rain, will you be my girlfriend?"

Stifling a laugh, she grins. "I thought you'd never ask."

Kissing her swiftly, I snort. "Neither did I."

We stay there and I remember what started this entire freak out.

"Hey." I nudge her, "I'm proud of you."

"Really?" She asks sleepily.

"Of course, and I'll be there to help you every step of the way." I assure her.

She yawns but I see the smile.

"I think it's time to take my girlfriend home." I say, loving how that sentence sounds.

I could get used to it.

*****

Welp, this is the last prewritten post. This scene is my legit Favorite no lie.

Also, I edited this in LiC to make Scarlett appear less stupid because she wasn't, I just didn't write it properly🙃

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

689K 19.6K 35
"I know that I can fuck up your whole life with one look. But I can't stop myself." ✰ ✰ ✰ Mia Rose...
2.3K 268 24
Avery Turner, a perfectionist with a double life, and Kyran Drake, a charismatic boy with secrets, find their fates intertwined when their secrets th...
242K 19K 37
He's a cynic. She's a romantic. One deal, one wedding, and one gigantic secret stand between them. ** Harper Lane wants to believe in true love. Afte...
274K 10.8K 21
"I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his face...