My Assassin's Heart {Revising...

By Ash_J91

The Heart of an Assassin is cold, calculating, and cruel. Or at least that is what others believe it to be. ... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 1

7.1K 325 892
By Ash_J91

Year: 1582

Assassin

In a cold sweat, I jolted awake. My silver bullet eyes opened wide piercing through the darkness. Distant screams and the scraping of clashing swords faded in my ears. Images of the villagers' homes burnt to the ground. The smell of fresh blood lingered in my nostrils. A recurring nightmare that haunted me when I closed my eyes. No matter how many times it happened it still held control over my unconscious mind.

I glanced out the single window in my room that allowed the glowing moonlight to enter. A tired deep sigh escaped my lips as my fingers combed through my black disheveled hair. I stood to my feet stretching out my arms to pull my stiff muscles back into motion. Quickly I dressed in all-black garb shrouded with a hooded cloak of the same color. To disguise my identity I wore a black fitted mask against my face, leaving only my eyes exposed.

Eager to not waste another second I exited the quiet dark room that led to the front entrance where an older man sat, nodding off to sleep. Reaching into my pocket I laid a few golden coins on the counter to pay for my lodging.

The full moon hung boldly, giving a somber glow to the starry sky as the streets lay empty and silent. The townspeople slept warm in their beds unaware of the danger that lurked in the shadows of the night. Soft whips of the wind whistled, as the dust particles swirled about the dirt road. The tail of my hooded cloak flowed slowly behind me as I ventured north of the town. There awaited a mysterious man in a vacant alley. We would meet but exchange no words.

He discreetly handed me a sealed letter with the target's location inscribed on the outside. After a nod of agreement and an exchange of coins, we went our separate ways. Now with my new mission in hand, I headed towards the outskirts of the town. Placing two fingers to my mouth I blew out a high-pitched whistle. Suddenly the sound of horse hooves in the distance galloped towards me.

A large black stallion approached me as its long shiny mane bounced with grace. I gave it a soothing pat before mounting him. "Yah!" I shouted as I took off through the gate of the town entering into the open field of Zanevia. The kingdom of the most powerful Kings of my generation and the ones before me, but also the most hated. I took the mission out of interest, but mainly to get closer to the King. I wouldn't dare pass up the chance to get my revenge, even if it meant breaking one of my codes.

Zanevia's field was the central region that led to all the prominent locations of the kingdom. Filled with farmland, villages, and marketplaces, but most of all it's a world-renowned ship port that's connected to the endless northern Sea.

Traveling at a fast pace, I took a detour and headed for a nearby weapon shop to restock before pursuing my task. Approaching the small tent of wares and weapons I was greeted by a young boy with sand-blonde hair and dull hazel eyes. His clothes were worn and his body was thin assuming the cause from the lack of food.

"M-morning Sir, what item are you looking for?" The young lad asked with a hint of nervousness as his curious yet frightened gaze examined my attire. I glanced at him and pointed out the items needed. Five shuriken blades, three smoke bombs, and extra arrows for my bow. I handed him a small pouch of coins without counting it, then turned to pack the weapons on my horse.

The boy's eyes grew wide as he opened the pouch. of gold coin. "Mister wait, this is far too much!" The lad shouted as he ran towards me while I mounted my horse. I had to admit I was impressed by the child's honesty despite his poor condition. Furthermore, I gave a curt nod, assuring him it wasn't a mistake.

Tears began to brim his eyes as a big smile stretched across his face. A delighted squeal of gratitude was heard from afar as I rode away never to be seen by him again. Many rumors surfaced amongst the lower class of a nameless man in black who paid them handsomely for their goods. However, no one would ever guess that same man to be a rogue assassin.

The constant gallop of my horse beat against the ground as I journeyed to my next destination. After half a day of travel, I finally reached the flourishing kingdom of Ambriel. It was a modern-day city for its time. It was famous for its tall grand buildings that sparkled in the sun. Giving it the alias The Ivory Palace for its white and pristine colors of gold. The noble and wealthy residents wore fine apparel of similar colors. However, nothing could conceal the darkness that hovered over the kingdom.

The fake smiles and cheerful faces of the people were all a facade. The city only appeared to be beautiful and grand, but on the inside, it had a rotting core. Regardless, my dark attire would stick out like a sore thumb if I were to enter through the front gate during the day. So I opted to stay hidden outside the city walls and observe from above until nightfall. I pulled the letter from my pocket to open it and read the description of my target.

My eyes narrowed at the name as my jaw tightened. I was usually more careful than this. However, it appeared my judgment was clouded when I read the location was in the King's City. So, I didn't bother to look at the name of the actual person I was hired to kill.

Princess Adeliza Esperanza
Age: 20
Weight: 136
Height: 5"2
Hair color: Dark brown
Eye color: Blue

As I scanned over the details I wondered why would someone want the Princess dead. It didn't seem to make much sense. The King was the object of repugnance. It was rare to hear anything related to his daughter. Almost as if she didn't even exist. So, why was she being targeted? Perhaps someone else had a personal vendetta against the Royal family.

I allowed my mind to ponder a bit longer until my thoughts were interrupted by the sudden loud cheers I heard coming from the castle's town. Curious to see what was causing all the commotion I peered over the wall being sure to remain unseen. Given the opportunity I didn't hesitate to infiltrate into the city now that everyone's attention was diverted including the guards. With precise precision, I swiftly jumped from rooftop to rooftop to get a bird's eye view.

Once I found a hidden spot I crouched down on the ledge, looking down over the crowd of people. I watched carefully as I saw a luxurious golden carriage with royal blue fabric escorted by two beautiful white stallions.

I didn't have to guess who it was; King Hector the most feared man in the region. My knuckles turned white as I gripped the edge of the roof holding back my rage. It took everything in me not to jump down and slaughter him right then and there.

The muscles in my jaw stiffened as my teeth slowly grind from the graphic thoughts of what I would do once I got my hands on him. When the carriage came to a halt I watched like a hawk eager to devour its prey as a guard went to open the door. Anxiously, I waited to see the King appear, but instead, it was a young woman.

Unlike those around her, she was dressed in an elegant ebony gown with a sheer train that trailed behind her. The dark pigments of the fabric complimented her long raven hair that flowed down her back like the finest silk. She was accessorized with a glamorous golden hairpiece that took the usual place of a crown, and fine jewels that covered the exposed flawless skin of her neckline.

She stood out amongst the white and gold colors that surrounded her. Although she was dressed in a dark shade her very presence was like an illuminating light, shining brighter than them all. I carefully took in her features one by one. A young woman with dark brown hair and blue eyes, it was all adding up.

It's her... my target, the Princess of Ambriel. I thought to myself as my gaze fixated on her as I continued to watch from above.

Gentle like a dove, calm as the sea. Her beautiful angelic eyes called out to me. Why would anyone want to cut the roots of such a delicate and rare flower? It wasn't just her beauty that grasped my attention, but the light that surrounded her in a realm of darkness. She carried such grace and elegance, with a pure untainted soul.

At that moment it hit me. Faded memories from my past flashed behind my eyes as I began to recognize something familiar about the Princess. Yet, I needed to get a closer look to be sure I wasn't mistaking her for someone else. Someone whom I truly hoped she would not be.

I leaned forward off the ledge as I watched her walk away into the crowd, tightly shielded by guards and knights. She was untouchable and was treated like this was a special occasion for her to venture outside the castle.

It was like a festival as people cheered and danced in the streets. I couldn't take my eyes off her as she slowly disappeared from my view. I briskly switched locations to a dark vacant alley while keeping my distance to remain unseen. I kept my vision locked on her, studying her every move.

She had such a warm smile as she greeted her people. Yet as I continued to examine her, I noticed a hint of sorrow that twinkled in her gentle gaze. Her people genuinely received her as their eyes glistened with admiration. It wasn't a show or a facade. She was truly loved by them all, so who would pay to have her killed?

Is she hiding something behind those stunning cyan eyes? Or was it just a cruel soul who wished death upon an innocent girl? I had to find out the truth before completing my mission.

Nevertheless, if she was anything like her father then it would leave me no choice but to end her life along with his. My animosity towards the King was beyond repair. The deep root of bitterness encased my heart causing me to fall into a void of darkness with no light, or peace, only... hatred and revenge.

Please vote! 🌟

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

863K 32.8K 67
"Nobody is allowed between these pretty little thighs but me....and if anyone tries...šˆ'š„š„ š¤š¢š„š„ š­š”šžš¦." ~ The leader of the most notorious...
31.7K 1.4K 63
It's a story of two people living on different sides of the same dimension. She dreaded his world, and he envied hers. She reminded him of a life he...
331 2 6
Death has been following me since the day I was born. You are losing loved ones. You're losing friends. It's scary when you start to lose yourself. L...
112K 2.4K 24
He loved me, He loved me not He loved me, but not, in the way I needed him to say. "When you lose someone who use to be your everything it's like...