Exitium

By theuglypoetess

What if she did not want her life among the brightness of the meadows? What if she preferred the darkness of... More

πŸŒ™
p r o l o g u e
Aidoneus' Letter to Selene
πŸŒ™ t w o
🌹 t h r e e
πŸŒ™ f o u r
🌹 f i v e
πŸŒ™ s i x
🌹 s e v e n
πŸŒ™ e i g h t
🌹 n i n e
πŸŒ™ t e n
🌹 e l e v e n
πŸŒ™ t w e l v e
πŸ’€ t h i r t e e n
πŸŒ™ f o u r t e e n
🌹 f i f t e e n
πŸŒ™ s i x t e e n
🌹 s e v e n t e e n
πŸŒ™ e i g h t e e n
🌹 n i n e t e e n
πŸŒ™ t w e n t y
🌹 t w e n t y o n e
πŸŒ™ t w e n t y t w o
🌹 t w e n t y t h r e e
πŸŒ™ t w e n t y f o u r
🌹 t w e n t y f i v e
πŸŒ™ t w e n t y s i x
🌹 t w e n t y s e v e n
πŸŒ™ t w e n t y e i g h t
🌹 t w e n t y n i n e

🌹 o n e

14.3K 447 117
By theuglypoetess

🌹 o n e

Nafplio, Peloponnese, Greece - 2 months later

A lone flower caught her attention. Stopping her in her tracks, her worn sneakers rubbing on the bristly sediment underneath her.

There, lying on the all too familiar ground she walked on everyday was a flower she didn't remember inventorying yesterday. Her azure eyes narrowed to see what flower it was.

A narcissus. A single daffodil.

She took a step towards it, but as she took another one she felt another pair of eyes on her, eyeing her every move. She shrugged away the idea, finding the thought absurd. But still, she eyed her surroundings looking from left to right if there was anyone. Sensing that there was no one, she bent down to pick up the flower.

The spring flower meant rebirth and new beginnings. She personally liked the symbolism of the flower but what she couldn't grasp is the way its being presented. When presented in a bunch it would mean good fortune however if it's lone it meant misfortune. Great. She just started her day and the universe it seems was telling her that she would have a bad day or perhaps days.

It was almost too ethereal to look at, like it wasn't meant for human eyes. Her wary eyes caught movement from her right and she almost give herself a whiplash when she stood up and turned to where the movement was. But there was no one. The only thing there was a brick wall. The elegant Venetian houses stared at her, the cafes luring her with its intoxicating smell and the other shops that seemingly smiled at her as it opens for the day, all fits in the same block lining the narrow streets. No suspicious man was there. She sighed. Perhaps it was the effect of disregarding food. She should've taken that breakfast her mother had made her.

She smelled the flower and it was unlike anything she smelled before. It felt like she was smelling the feathers of an angel, the pine trees after the rain, the midnight encased into the moon and then... then nothing. Who could possibly left it here? Was it for her? Or perhaps one of her customers had dropped this while leaving on a haste? She didn't know. But she gripped the flower in her hands, sniffing it once more, a smile grazing her pinkish lips.

Her feet moved. She reached for her keys in her clutched bag and quickly opened her shop's door. The bells chimed and she was met with the familiar scent of her flower shop. The intoxicating scent wafting up to her nose, inhaling it as it furnishes tranquility that seemed to traverse down her system, letting her know she's home. She let a smile spread on her pale visage, making sure it lingers as she started her day with a relaxing music to help her loosen out for the day.

She caught the flower on the counter top. Chastising herself for neglecting it, such a piece of efflorescing beauty doesn't deserve to be overlooked. Grabbing a new vase her mother had gifted her for her 18th birthday, she gently pour water and place the flower on it, displaying it for the world to see.

The bell by the door chimed indicating that her first customer had entered her shop. It wasn't much but she took pride in building it herself, with the help of her mother of course. She could've taken a job that pays well, or open a different shop that suits the public's interests, but flowers for her is a dream. Despite having a young age, still so much to learn at 23, she knows you can't be committed to work when you don't enjoy it. Much like finding yourself a husband whom you don't love. But from the moment she was born she knows her dream was this. When she finished her studies, she finally built her shop. Days of hardwork when she was still studying, juggling work and education at the same time, her savings and determination gave her the shop and she was more than happy to have it. This meant everything to her. Her mother had helped her, sustaining half the capital even when she told her she didn't have to and that she can do it but she would do anything for her child even if it meant her little one could do things now by herself.

Her smile had not left her lips as more customers flow in. Greeting her, some just goes in her door for a talk but she didn't mind that. She loves conversing with people, listening to different experiences and perspectives, it gives her a broader perspective too. She would know someone's character just by grasping the depth of their conversation. Although, she never did know why half of those who wanted to talk to her are men. Those, those were shallow talks. She giggled to herself. But come to think of it, for the past months she had not seen a single man enter through her door for casual talks. Those that did were there to really buy her flowers. It didn't matter though, she would gladly choose talking to old people over arrogant men.

More customers came in and this was the part where she questioned herself why she never bothered hiring an assistant. By the end of the day, she was knackered. She flopped onto her chair, the cheap leather warming her already scorching skin. There had been too many customers today that she was sweating than usual. She let herself cool down. She sifted through her emails for deliveries, double checking everything when the bell chimed. Another customer? But her shop is closed. Her view was obstructed by her counter top, not seeing who just entered. Not wanting to be rude, she stood up and despite being tired, she smiled. "Welcome to Selene's Flowers, how may I help yo--" Her words faltered. Her mouth betraying her, not being able to utter a word.

His black coat fits snugly on his broad shoulders, his height and frame daunting she was asking herself how he went through her small, cute door. His eyes as piercing as they are, were the darkest shade of black, as if he had tempted the midnight and stow every bit of its tincture into those pools of darkness that seemed to hide every secret in the world. His strong, defined jaw was clenched tightly, as if he feared it would slacken to the ground in her presence. Why would it? She would never know. The man standing in front of her was as beautiful as the sin that drives people to hell. Iniquitous, sinful, menacing but beyond beautiful. His cimmerian eyes, stared at her but his expressions were guarded. She didn't know what he's thinking. He remained impassive, no. A flicker of emotion passed by his eyes, gone as quick as it came.

Relief. Or was it longing? Or both?

But why. She just met the man and if they ever met before she was sure she wouldn't forget someone like him.

"Uhm, may I get you something Sir?" She politely asked, still staring at the man. But come to think of it, he too had been staring at her, intently at that. She waited for him to speak, almost in despair to hear his voice, what would it sound like. Would it sound as intimidating as him? But when he didn't reply, she asked him again. He was still staring at her, as if he couldn't take his eyes off her. As if he had longed to see her this close. She didn't know if it should flatter or bother her.

"Is there a specific arrangement in your mind? I can get it done for you." She praised herself for not stuttering, she had always been a chatterbox but not in the presence of this man. He was too intimidating, unnerving even.

"A fresh set of daffodils please." It took her moments to process what he said. His voice. It was as dark as his eyes, tempting and deep, modulated and smoky, so strong and pleasant to listen to. Did she just fell in love with someone's voice?

"We don't have daffodils as of the moment Sir, it gets really hard to ship them out since they don't bloom on late summer. Maybe I could make you another arrangement? May I ask whom you'll give the flower to Sir?"

He stared at her. There was this look on his eyes that she cannot point her finger to. "A lover perhaps?" She offered when he still didn't answer. "Or someone you've been wanting to be with but can't? A crush?" His eyes seemed to lit up and it was all that she needed. "I think I have the perfect flower for you Sir." She went to rows of flowers that lined her shop and plucked out a rose.

"Lavender rose." She smiled and looked at him who had been staring st her all the time with those piercing dark eyes. "It means love at first sight." She explained, her eyes drifting to the flower at hand. "Being enraptured by someone's beauty at first glance that you cannot seem to stray your eyes away, or the feeling of being enchanted by someone you don't know but you're dying to get to know. Falling in love from the first moment you saw her. I think these are perfect for her Sir." She looked at him and his expression was indecipherable, but he nodded. He's not much of a talker isn't he? She gave him another smile as she took out materials for the arrangement.

"I want it all." Came a voice from behind her. She turned around to look at him only to be met with a fragrant so enticing she wanted to bury her nose in it. And 'it' referred to the man. He was so close to her.

"Oh. I'm sorry." She managed a little smile on her lips as she mumbled her quick apology. But did she hear him right? All of it? She never questioned her customers so she proceeded to arrange the roses all the while he was staring at her. She should be bothered but oddly, she wasn't. It felt almost like a comfort to her to actually see him watch her. Perhaps she'd gone insane. He may be the most good looking man she'd ever seen but she still didn't know him.

When she was done, she turned to him giving him a smile. "Here you go Sir, I am sure she'll be happy to receive these." Whoever the girl this man is attracted to sure is lucky. Sighing inwardly, she handed the bundle of flowers to him, neat and beautifully wrapped in snow mesh gauze floral wrap with meticulously tied floral ribbons and bows. It was one of the most beautiful arrangement she made.

"Thank you." He said, broadening her smile more.

"You're welcome Sir."

"Please call me Aidoneus." His dark orbs penetrated through her, as if he wanted to see her bare, naked, she didn't know but the thought made her squirm.

"Okay Aidoneus. My name is Selene. Aiyana Selene." She didn't know what came over her. It was like she was compelled by him to bare herself to him and the oddity of this all was it was alright to her.

And then he smiled. She willed herself not to drop her jaw to her hard wood floor. Was it possible for a man to be born half angel half devil? He was beyond handsome. His dimple showed and she wanted to poke the skin there. She chastised herself, never in her life did she felt this attraction to a man.

"It's lovely to meet you Aiyana Selene." He stretched out his glove clad hand. Realizing he had the gloves on, he took it off and offered his hand again to her. Her breath hitched for an unknown reason as she took his hand in hers, shaking it in his firm but gentle grasp. Her heart pounded underneath her chest as she slowly look up only to see him stare at her with a look so profound she couldn't fathom what he's thinking as of the moment. His dark eyes bore to her blue ones and the moment felt almost...enchanting. She couldn't take her eyes off him and he seemed like he couldn't too. She didn't want to pull her hand away, not when she felt electrifying sparks from the tips of her fingers down to her spine. But sadly, he retracted his hand. The lack of warmth his hand provided before had left a cold feeling in her palm. Maybe she'd gone crazy for feeling a deep connection with this man she just met but she couldn't deny her attraction towards him. Still, she shook her thoughts away. The man had a girl and to her utter despair she found herself downhearted with that thought.

Right. She was certain she was insane. Never in her life had she felt this way before.

"I must go." His deep voice woke her from her inner debate.

"Oh of course." Don't go. She cursed herself, what had happened to her? Maybe this was just her tiredness kicking in.

She didn't know what came over her but she followed when he was about to go outside. He stopped in his tracks, looking at her.

"Uhh, I always make sure my customers are as happy as they look inside when they were outside my shop." Nice save but it was a total lie. She just wanted to see him longer, and for sure for the last time too. And he gave her something that had her heart stopping for a good second. His smile.

She walked him towards the door, stopping when they were outside and under the dim lights he looked more frightening than the shadows lurking in the streets but even then, she admired him. Maybe she should have given herself those lavender roses. She sighed inwardly for the umpteenth time that night, she had fallen in love at first sight and to a man whom she knew she wouldn't stand a chance. With a brave smile, she looked at him.

"Thank you for choosing my shop Si--Aidoneus."

She waited for a reply. Had it been a good minute and he still wasn't responding? He was looking at her as if the moon came out tonight just to take a glance at her. She scolded herself. That can't be true.

"See you Aiyana." He finally said. His voice soft, almost like a whisper. Her name sounded so good with him saying it. No one had ever called her Aiyana before, everybody calls her Selene but she wanted him to call her by Aiyana. She opened her mouth to say something but without waiting for her reply, he turned his back and walked away from her until she couldn't see his back anymore.

He's going to go home and give the flowers to his girl. She smiled bitterly. Atleast she made someone smile today.

She went back inside her shop to fix some mess and close for the day. It had been around an hour when she was finally done cleaning and went to close the shop. She was about to walk wanting to go home and sleep when something stopped her in her tracks. Just like what happened earlier that day. She walked towards it. Her jaw fell to the ground.

Outside her shop is a garden of lavender roses and among them right at the center is the bouquet she made for Aidoneus.

What was this? She was beyond confused.

She looked around, trying to find someone that she might ask. But no one was there anymore. All other shops had closed for the day.

How did this happen in a span of an hour? And most of all who would do this? She felt presence behind her instantaneously making the hair on her nape stood up. She didn't have the chance to see the man behind her for she was in a tight grip with the man's arms coiling around her waist. She registered her futile struggles against the man but she could feel herself succumbing to darkness. What happened? Why did she felt dizzy? Before darkness could consume her, through her blurry vision, a pair of familiar dark eyes stared at her. He spoke, his voice apologetic and broken but she felt helpless and all she wanted was to sleep.

"Aiyana, agápi mou. Synchóresé me."

🌹

Aidoneus
[ ey-i-doh-nee-uhs ] or
[ ey-i-doh-nee-nyoos ]

Aiyana
[ eye-yah-nah ]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 606 7
We all know the legend of Hades and Persephone. How Hades kidnapped her. How he forced her to eat the fruit of his world. But what if I told you that...
694K 39.9K 61
❛THEY WOULD TELL YOU OF A KING WHO STOLE ME HELPLESS FROM MY SUNSHINE GARDEN.❜ They won't tell you about the woman who came to him sublime, lily eyes...
299K 8.7K 30
Persephone is a young goddess, trying to make her own way in life. Thing is, her mother won't let her. She is convinced that some god will seduce her...
4.7K 217 37
Love is different for everyone Humans find love in the simple things, such as afternoon strolls, weddings and sunset kisses Waiting for their other...