Life, Lies and Really Hot Spy...

By darlaH

There was nothing normal about Annalise Phillips life. Her parents died mysteriously when she was 14, her Gra... More

Chapter 1: Clearance A
Chapter 2: No one else knew
Chapter 3: Such a Charmer
Chapter 4: Far Too Much Time
Chapter 5: Wouldn't Mind
Chapter 6: Good At Solving Puzzles
Chapter 7: Named Himself
Chapter 8: I lied
Chapter 9: Lights Turned On
Chapter 10: He Never Was
Chapter 11: Arranged
Chapter 12: Pleased To Meet You
Chapter 13: I Wanted Family
Chapter 14: Happier
Chapter 15: You Can't Give Up
Chapter 16: A Cover
Chapter 17: My expectations weren't insane
Chapter 18: Distract Me
Chapter 19: Get Out Now
Chapter 20: It's About Time
Chapter 21: Why Was I So Special?
Chapter 22: To Be Continued
Chapter 23: Rebel
Chapter 24: They Need A Reason
Chapter 25: Still Have My Back
Chapter 26: I Should Have Known
Chapter 27: It's Not Safe
Chapter 28: You Figured It Out
Chapter 29: We Were Family
Chapter 30: You Know Her?
Chapter 31: At the Roots
Chapter 32: Always Here To Catch
Chapter 33: Finishing This
Chapter 34: The Last
Chapter 35: Brace Yourself
Chapter 36: Not Going Anywhere
Chapter 37: All He Wanted
Chapter 38: Not What We Agreed Upon

Chapter 39: Two Years Later

440 11 14
By darlaH

Song for "Ending Credits" of the book!

I hope you have enjoyed this story from cover to cover.

Thanks for reading, voting, commenting, and being you.

Love you all,

DarlaH

I looked at myself in the mirror as I pinned up my hair. I heard my phone buzz on the counter but I refused to answer it. I knew it was work and right now, work didn't matter.

Mara found Fabien soon after I was released from the hospital. With him gone, my father spent the next year breaking down the organization so it would never rise from the ashes. When he wasn't traveling the world, he stayed with me. We fell into our old relationship again after a few months, it finally felt like he never left me for all those years. Our bond became stronger than ever as we spent our evenings together bonding over good meals and conversations.

Once I was able to get back to work, my grandmother gave me my own team. But I quickly realized that my health was never going to be what it was before Fabien got a hold of me. I also realized that the CIA wasn't my passion so I left. I still had no job, but I was finished my bachelors and for now, that was enough for me. I would find another job, one that was good for me not because people told me it was, but because I was happy with it.

I looked at my diamond ring and smiled as it glittered in the light. With my dad back, Auggie had to ask him the old fashioned way to marry. And like we agreed, Auggie and I finally got married. Although we had only been married for 5 months, it felt like forever in all the right ways. I did not regret getting married at 21 because when you meet the right person, why wait?

Auggie walked into the bathroom and looked at me with a sly smile. I knew what he was thinking but I wasn't going to give it to him. He wrapped me around his arms and nuzzled my neck. "Auggie, stop, we have to get ready," I said as I tried to up on makeup.

He looked over my shoulder into my reflection. "Do we really have to go?"

I sighed and turned to face him. He pulled me close and it made me blush. "You're the best man, of course we have to go," I said to him.

He sighed with a slight frown as he knew his plan was ruined. "Don't sell yourself short, you're the maid of honor. But I like it here, with you," he whispered the last part into my ear then kissed my neck. His lips were tempting but I knew we had other commitments for the day.

I pushed him to arms distance, knowing exactly what he was trying to do. "Auggie, focus, we have to leave soon to get to the church."

"I'm ready," he said and took a step back from me so I could look at him from head to toe. He looked good in a tux. His brown hair parted to the side fit the tux so well that he looked like he was off to a photo shoot instead of a wedding.

"You're missing your bowtie," I stated as I pointed out his flaw. I pulled on his untied bowtie hanging around his neck and frowned.

He shrugged. "I'm never good at tying them."

"You're right, I'm much better at it," I said and smirked at him as I tied the bow and straitened it. "Much better." I smiled as I kissed his lips.

"Remember, focus," he said and pulled out of the kiss with a smirk.

I chuckled at him. "What would I do without you?" I asked with smirk back. I turned around to the mirror again and pulled back my hair, revealing my open back to my dress. "Zip me up?"

"Sure thing Miss Ross," he said as he started to kiss my spine. If I didn't have enough will power I would forget about our event and stay here. He kissed my neck again then finally zipped up my long blue dress. I felt his hands trace up my back and stop at my shoulder blades. "Shall we leave?"

I nodded at him. If we didn't leave now we would be late. "Yes, it's not any day when your best friend gets married," I said and smiled as we walked out of the bathroom.

By time we made it to the church Mara was already waiting for me. She hustled me into a room before Auggie had time to say goodbye to me.

"Annalise! You look so good in the dress! I knew you would!" Mara said to me as she looked at me in her robe.

I smiled. "Thank you and congratulations to you. Let's get you ready?"

She nodded and took a seat on a chair. "I'm shaking. Do I look like I'm shaking? Wow, I can't believe today is the day. Man, I love him so much. I can't believe I'm doing this. Do you smell hamburgers, I'm starved. I haven't eaten since breakfast." Mara talked as I started to work on the last touches of her makeup.

I laughed, "Calm down Mara. It's going to be ok."

"How did you manage it? Marrying Auggie? You looked so cool and collected," Mara asked.

I smiled again at the memory of my wedding day. "Trust me, I was so nervous I couldn't even walk straight. Everything was rushing through my head. You know what helped me? I knew that Auggie loved me no matter what. I could do nothing that would make him not marry me. Plus my Dad held me so tight that I had to walk down the aisle straight," I said with a laugh. That day felt like it was just yesterday. I couldn't imagine anyone I rather be with then him. I loved him and I would do anything for him including risk my life to save his.

Mara let out a shaky breath and nodded. "That helped, I think, thanks for the advice. That's why you're my best friend and the maid of honor," she said and hugged me so tight that I couldn't breathe.

"Any time," I breathed out as I hugged her back. I pulled out of her hug. "Lets get you in this dress."

She smiled at me and took off her rode. Within a few minutes we managed to get her into it.  She smiled at herself in the mirror then frowned quickly. "Oh, I have to find my dad! I almost forgot!" Mara said and let go of me and ran off with her dress trailing behind her.

I smirked as I watched her leave. I then followed her out to find the rest of the maids. I looked at the time on my phone and smiled. It was almost show time and I almost couldn't control how excited I was for her and Zach. It was about time they got married, they were obviously meant for each other. Auggie and I knew this day would come but sooner would have been better than later.

The whole wedding flew by in a blink of an eye. Before I knew it, I was at the reception with a drink in my hands. I downed it then walked over to Zach with a smile. "Zach Gray, my friend, congrats. Treat her well will you?" I asked as I gave the man of honor a hug and a quick peck on the cheek.

"I will. Believe me, I will," he said as he looked at Mara dancing on the floor with a bunch of her family members. I could see the love he had for her in his eyes. He was head over heals for her.

"So where is the honey moon? Mara said you wouldn't tell her but  I'm dying to know."

A smile came on his lips as he thought about it. "I'm taking her on a safari in south Africa. We'll be gone for two weeks."

I nodded at him. "You know my girl well," I said as my eyes caught onto a person that I hadn't seen in a while. Edger to talk to him, I patted Zach on the shoulder "dance with her."

I walked over to the blonde middle aged man in the corner of the room wearing a black tux. I smiled at him. "It's good to see you dad. I didn't think you would make it today," I said to him and hugged him. Last time I saw my father was at our wedding five months ago. He promised that he would be around more, but I found that he was often gone wrapping up MIA.

"I'm a sucker for a good wedding. And free booze," dad stated with a smile as he held up a flute of champagne.

I smiled at him. I missed him. I wish he was around more than he was. "How long are you in town for?" I asked with a frown, knowing that he would probably be off soon again. Gram was always sending him away.

He frowned slightly. He didn't have good news. He was leaving tonight, I was sure of it. "How's August doing? Is he here?" he asked as he looked around the room, changing the topic.

"He's somewhere around here," I said and looked around the room for him with no luck.

He turned to me and sighed, he couldn't wait until Auggie came. He had to leave now. I braced myself for it. "I'm not going to be leaving for a while. MIA is officially gone. I finished the last of them in Dubai. That being said, I'm going to retire. I'm turning in my papers tomorrow," he said and smiled at me as if knowing what I was thinking.

I smiled. I couldn't believe my ears. Finally after two years, my dad was here to stay. I could finally have a father that was always around. It was a dream come true. "This is great to hear! Oh my gosh! I'm so happy for you," I cheered and gave him a hug.

He hugged me back then said, "I'm too old for this line of work. I'm ready to sleep in every day and play golf."

I pulled out of the hug and smiled lightly. "You don't know how to play golf."

He shrugged. "See, if I had time, I would learn."

I chuckled at him. I missed his humor. "I'm happy for you, really, I am."

Breaking us from our father daughter moment was Auggie. He walked up to us with a smile. "There you are," Auggie said as he put his arm around me waist, pulling me into him..

"August," dad said firmly and shook his hand.

"Hello sir."

"When will you start calling me, James?"

"Dad was just telling me that he's going to retire from the CIA," I explained to Auggie quickly.

"That's great. It'll be nice to have you around, James," Auggie said and smiled.

"Are you trying to tell me something?" he asked then winked at us.

I frowned then quickly shook my mind to clear the thought. "Dad, no, we're not having kids yet. Not for a while. Don't rush us," I said and shut my eyes to block out the picture of me being a mom. I was only 21, I, we weren't ready to settle down and have kids. For pity sakes we only had been married for a few months.

"I'm just saying I wouldn't mind having grandkids before I die here," dad said and threw up his hands in innocents.

I nodded. I was planning on him living much longer. He could wait. "You will, I promise, but not yet." I smiled at him then looked up at Auggie who was nodding, agreeing with me. We were on our top of our game, we didn't have time to raise a family.

After a couple seconds of silence Auggie smiled then said, "Annalise, would you like to dance?"

I smiled at him. "I couldn't imagine anyone better to dance with." I said as I took his hand then turned to face my dad. "I'll talk to you later, dad."

"Have fun," he said as I followed Auggie out onto the dance floor.

I smiled as Auggie pulled me closer. Who knew that such a life threatening organization would give me everything I wanted. I was so glad for my father reaching out to me and having faith that I could do it. But I really owed so much to my team. We were unstoppable. We were just waiting for the next mission impossible to do.

"I love you, Annalise Ross," Auggie said as he kissed my lips lightly.

"And I love you, August Ross."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 5 20
"Like what you see?" I almost scream when I turn around see Gerard leaning against the door. "Uh- I- I didn't-" Gerard starts to walk over. "Let me...
137 0 47
Derek and Addison have a lot of issues. Derek's father is angry. Because Derek and Addison threaten his new empire. That's not the only reason though...
1.7K 99 32
Peter, alone in this world... His father passed away when he was still a school going kid. Soon after his father's death, his whole life turns upsid...
6.8K 1.1K 79
One hundred years ago, war threatened the existence of humanity. One man's actions might bring it back. During WWV, battles weren't won with bombs, b...