Life in Search ✔️

By Honey_Money_

Book 1.5 in the "Life in-" series Ashton McClain is lost. After two years of spiraling out of control he has... More

Master Reading List
Hello
1 ~ Lost
2 ~ Feisty
3 ~ Interesting
4 ~ Fine
5 ~ Boo
6 ~ Weak
7 ~ Bored
8 ~ Changed
9 ~ Annoyed
10 ~ Jealous
11 ~ Hothead
12 ~ Space
13 ~ Friends
14 ~ Pretty
15 ~ Reading
16 ~ Blessed
17 ~ Nerve
18 ~ Listen
19 ~ Date
20 ~ Flirt
21 ~ Smoothie
22 ~ Party
23 ~ Beautiful
24 ~ Friends
25 ~ Fighting
26 ~ Present
27 ~ Wrong
28 ~ Love
29 ~ Selfish
30 ~ Miserable
31 ~ Secret
32 ~ Dream
33 ~ Trap
34 ~ Tamales
35 ~ Win
36 ~ Lover Boy
37 ~ Thanks
38 ~ Leave
39 ~ Shame
40 ~ Gay
4 1 ~ Alabama
43 ~ Hooky
44 ~ Potter
45 ~ Finally
46 ~ Dating
47 ~ Kiss
48 ~ Monster
49 ~ Gift
50 ~ Free
51 ~ Oh
52 ~ Hospital
53 ~ Waiting
54 ~ All of it
55 ~ Happy
56 ~ You
57 ~ Children
58 ~ Weird
59 ~ Light
Epilogue ~ Ashlett
Sequels and Spinoffs
Bonus ~ Birthday
Bonus ~ Hufflepuff
Bonus ~ Cuddles
Bonus ~ Always

42 ~ Bliss

37.5K 1.9K 1.2K
By Honey_Money_

"Coach, you got a sec?" I ask, knocking on his office door Thursday morning.

He grunts, not looking up from the paper. I take that as a yes and shut the door behind me. Walking up, I rest a cup on his desk. "I got it black with sugar, just the way you like it."

He eyes the coffee before looking at me, "What has you smiling like it's your birthday?"

Man, I guess I really am cheesin' hard. "I think I'm going to accept the offer."

His eyes go wide, dropping the paper. "No shit, you liked it?"

"I loved it. They had everything under the sun for me to use and the campus felt just like home. The distance is great, and the team really can't get any better." I state, still in a daze.

"What was the selling point?"

My smile falters. "Um, they didn't ignore my past. They touched on it and noted how I've changed."

That's what sold me. They might have fancy equipment and a killer record, but they didn't fluff up my ego. They put the facts on the table, acknowledged them, and then moved on. Mom, Dad, and I have spent days talking about it and honestly, it's too good to pass up. It's a future I'm willing to chase with everything in me.

They wanted me, dirty secrets and all, and that means more than anything else they could've offered.

He nods appreciatively, "Sounds like someone's happy they went."

"I am, thank you so much for that pep talk and for taking a chance on me." I reply honestly. "I owe it all to you."

Shrugging, he points to my hands. "Based off the iced coffee, I'd guess you've got a girl to see."

Grinning, I head for the door. "That I do, Coach."

That I do.

Finding Scarlett isn't difficult. Somehow today is the day the Rhodes kids are early to school. Meaning she's all alone at their lockers.

Grinning, I watch her grab her books. It's different seeing her with iron curled hair, but as long as I can still play with it, I won't complain.

"Good morning!" I chirp, wrapping my arms around her as I spin around. She squeals as I set her back down, her excitement doubling when I hand her the coffee.

"What has you in such a good mood?" She questions, taking a sip.

Trying to play it cool, I shrug, "What's there not to be happy about? I'm alive. I'm with you. I brought doughnuts."

Shaking the bag in my hand, I try to calm down. In two years, I'm going to be attending an SEC school on scholarship to play football. Nothing major.

Scarlett raises an eyebrow and I give in. "Alright." Making sure no one else is around, I continue. "How do you feel about driving three hours?"

Because that's sorta an important factor.

"It depends on what for."

"What if it was to see me?" I ask, hoping she gets the picture. It would be really embarrassing if she rejected me.

Coughing, her eyes widen. I watch the disbelief flash over her face. At least she can understand this.

"Oh my God!" She cries, flinging herself onto me.

Wrapping my arms around her, I can't help but lift her up.

"That's amazing."

This is amazing. For the first time in forever, everything feels right.

Someone clears their throat and I set her down, prepared to find a teacher glaring at us for PDA. My arm wraps around her waist as we take in Gabe, Zev, James, and Stella smirking at us.

Well, there goes my bliss.

"We can come back if you two need a moment, although I don't recommend the hallway as the best place for-" Gabe starts and I chuck the bag of doughnuts at him.

Now isn't the time.

"I was telling Scarlett-" I begin begrudgingly.

"What were you telling Scarlett?"  Sage cuts me off as he and Ella join us.

Taking a deep breath, I try to remember why I'm friends with these idiots. "I accepted the offer to play at Alabama."

"Holy shit!" The guys say together, looks of shock on all their faces.

I mean, it's not that surprising.

Sage hugs me, shoving his sister to the side as he crushes the air out of my lungs. "Congratulations, Brother!"

"Dude, I'm honored to even know you." Zev says, shaking my hand.

"That's wild, I'm an Auburn fan but I think I could stomach Alabama if it means watching you." Gabe teases and all I can do is roll my eyes.

He about shit himself when I told him I was visiting Alabama.

"We could be roommates!" James yells, shoving his own girlfriend to the side, something I don't have the balls to do, in order to hug me.

I forgot he was committed to play baseball there. Even better, now I know someone on campus.

The walk to Lit I'm on cloud nine, something that can't even be crushed by Ms. Millers assigned college project.

That's a piece of cake now, my future's already planned out.

*****

Even if my day can't get any better, doesn't mean I don't notice how reclusive Scarlett is.

"Hey, are you ok?" I ask, tugging on her hair as she gets her books.

"I'm fine, just tired that's all." She assures me and I'm almost certain I see her nose scrunch.

Resting my hands on either side of her head, I lower my face to hers. Staring directly into her eyes, I search for the lie. I can tell how tired she is.

She sighs contently and I smile, pecking her nose. "You can nap at my house before we do our history homework."

Instead of replying, she just rests her head against the lockers.

"Why did you use a curling iron today?" I question, tugging on a lock of hair.

"I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep. Why, do you hate it?" She panics, snagging the strand from my fingers.

"Of course, I like it, it's your hair." I assure her, "It's just different."

In all the time I've known her, she's only ever straightened it to see her family. However, now I know why she's so tired.

Closing her eyes as my other hand rests on her waist, I study her face. Slight bags underneath her eyes that show how much she needs a nap. She deals with so much, yet she still took the time to go with me to Alabama.

I don't deserve her.

Without thinking, I kiss her collarbone. She giggles like always and I do it again, loving her reaction.

I'm about to kiss her when her eyes fly open. "No, sir, not today."

As I get shoved away, reality comes crashing down. Why would I feel the need to do that knowing her past with Bennett? To just assume she was fine with it.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done anything." I offer sincerely, unable to meet her eyes.

"It's perfectly fine, Ash." She assures me. No, it's not, it was uncalled for. Fingers grip my chin, forcing me to face her. "It's okay to kiss me."

Not like that it isn't. I should've asked. I should've waited.

"No, it's not, I should've stopped." I protest, still pissed at myself.

"I trust you." She says softly, fisting my shirt to keep me in place. I want to fight but I see the sincerity in her eyes, knowing that she means that takes all my words away. "I'll let you know when it's not."

Does this mean I can kiss her more often? As if hearing my thoughts, she kisses me. "Okay?"

Nodding, I grab her bag. That just happened and while I'm currently over the moon, I still haven't forgiven myself.

Boundaries, McClain, boundaries.

"Besides" she adds, bumping my hip as she throws my arm around her. "I was more worried about getting another hickey."

This situation isn't funny, but a smirk appears on my face. "In my defense, no one got to see the last one."

I'd like to change that.

"Maybe later." She teases as we enter the cafe. 

I tense, my blood heating up as I follow her. 

"Is that a promise?" I whisper, purposely brushing my lips against her ear.

Because now isn't that time to tease.

"Where were you?" Ella asks as we take our seats, "Lunch is almost over."

"We went to our lockers." Scarlett offers while I try to calm myself down.

"Bullshit." Sage coughs, and I focus on my food. He'll see right through me.

"What're we talking about?" Scarlett asks as my hand rests on her thigh. Today I've decided to just go all out.

If I lose my hand, I least I lost it living risky.

"We're trying to figure out who John's dating." Sage says eagerly.

"Anyone have any ideas?" Scarlett demands, ready to put a face to the mystery woman.

"I do." Gabe leans back in his chair and I prepare myself for a stupid theory. "And before anyone says anything, this theory is Stella approved."

Like that makes it any better.

"We think it's Ms. Miller." Stella says.

Coughing into my fist to hide my laughter, I stop when I see they aren't joking. Oh, no. They've officially gone insane.

"Crazy girl say what now?" Sage cries, taking the words indirectly out of my mouth as he spits his soda across the table.

"Think about it. From what I remember about John, granted I haven't really seen him in two years, he has a very nice style. Enjoys nice things that typically cost a lot of money." Gabe reasons, unaffected by his reaction.

To my surprise, Scarlett listens. This is crazy talk. John doesn't even like me and I wouldn't wish that horrible woman on him.

"Well Ms. Miller's shirt the first day back from break was the exact same brand John wears. If Stella's research is correct."

They actually researched this with clear intent.

"Also someone spent fifty dollars on her Valentine's Day bouquet. No normal man would spend that much on flowers. And from the fake Facebook profile we made to justify this theory, she was in New York this weekend for a trip."

I mean, I'd drop that kind of money on a bouquet if Scarlett thought it was pretty.

"You made a fake Facebook account?" James asks incredulously, the pair nod their heads.

That has to be illegal.

"Dude, when did you spend so much time with my girlfriend?" He demands, pulling Stella closer to him.

"That's considered stalking guys." Zev scolds them.

As they continue to try to convert Sage and Scarlett to their crackhead theory, I try to decide what I'm going to do tonight.

Something's got to happen.

*****

"Mom, we're home!" I shout as I let Scarlett inside.

"Hello, Scarlett!" She hugs her, completely by-passing me. That's cool mom, love you too.

"Hi, Liz." Scar offers.

"Are the girls outside?" Mom asks, finally paying attention to me.

Nodding, I drag Scarlett upstairs. Time to be alone.

"Scarlett, are you girls staying for dinner?"

Without stopping, I holler down a quick yes knowing she won't make a decision.

Opening my door, she makes a be-line for my bed. Flopping down with a content sight before I can even set my bag down.

"Do you want to sleep first?" I ask hopefully, laying down beside her.

Because the homework can wait.

"Later. We need to study first." Buzzkill.

After two hours of torture, I mean studying, mom enters with food.

"You kids seemed busy so I thought I would bring you dinner." She says, scanning around the room.

Yeah, and I'm a millionaire. It may be a different situation, but she still has the same tricks.

Eating on the bed, I somehow manage to convince Scarlett to take a break.

Biting into her roll, she scans the room. "Your walls look different."

Freezing mid bite, I look around. Taking in the several pictures lining the walls. That was the other thing I asked Ella to do for me.

"I decided it was time for a change." I admit, "Finally decided to look at things that make me happy."

She smiles, undoubtedly taking in the number of pictures that contain her. There's a lot. "I love it."

I love you.

"Let's go over vocab again." She declares, setting her plate to the side.

No, my brain can't take anymore.

"How about you get some rest. You know the entire lesson inside and out." I counter, stealing her book.

"But–" She tries to fight me, but I stop her.

It's not really an option.

Standing up, I grab her a shirt and boxers, knowing she'll need sleep shorts. "Go change."

Miraculously, she doesn't fight me. Simply taking the clothes, she goes into the bathroom.

Sweet, I'm going to sleep with Scarlett. In my bed.

After snapping from my thoughts, I run to get changed. Throwing on a cut out shirt and shorts, I try to act casual.

Instead I end up falling over as the door opens. Smooth, idiot.

"Your shirt swallows me whole." She offers, fidgeting with the hemline.

Oh my God, that's hot. Like, I'd do anything to see her in my stuff every day.

Realizing that I'm staring like a creep, I cough. "That's fine."

Crawling into bed, I try to remain calm as I turn the lights off.

"Sweet dreams, Sweetheart." I whisper, it's just a nap.

*****

I look down at Scarlett, who's been snoring softly for the past hour. Her body wrapped around my torso with her head rested on my chest. I'm currently freaking out. Is it weird that I'm just watching her sleep? Or that I'm completely mesmerized by the pattern of her breath hitting my skin?

Gabe snaps me and I answer, desperate for something to distract me from the feeling of her body against me. I roll my eyes as I send a picture back, he's drinking on a Thursday night.

Ash
Don't you think it's stupid to drink the night before a test?

Gabe
I'm at my cousin's house so no & why worry when Scar will review us. Speaking of Scar, whose hair is that I see? 

I take a picture of us knowing he won't stop until I do.

Ash
She fell asleep after studying, don't say a word dude.

He sends back an old photo of two of them asleep in power ranger pajamas. He does this all the time to taunt me. It's beginning to bother me more and more.

Gabe
I have a picture with her like that too. Sooo are y'all a thing?

Ash
I wish.

Gabe
Let me get this straight. You love her. You've already made out. She's wearing your clothes. Sleeping in your bed. And you aren't dating.

Ash
...Yes

Gabe
What's wrong with you? Just say will you be my girlfriend. 5 words.

Ash
Maybe if you hadn't of ruined our moment on Valentine's Day I wouldn't be in this situation right now.

Gabe
You seemed to have a pretty good night anyways lover boy

Ash
Besides, those are five words that I'm not sure she's ready to hear.  I don't want to ruin us because I chose not to wait things out. She needs time and assurance.

Gabe
I respect that. Honestly, I've known her since we were toddlers and you're quite possibly the best thing to ever happen to her.

I smile down at her, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. That's probably the nicest thing Gabe's ever said to me.

"Sage is here." My mom calls up the stairs.

Well shit. Very gently I pry myself from underneath her, afraid to accidentally wake her up. Scarlett needs all the sleep she can get, I'll carry her if need be. I tiptoe to the downstairs as quickly as possible, so mom doesn't yell again. Mom and Sage waiting by the door.

"Where's Scarlett?" Mom asks.

"She's asleep." I explain, Sage rubs his hands over his face, silently swearing.

"How long has she been out?" He questions, for once his voice not carrying upstairs.

I shrug, not understanding why he looks so worked up. She just had one bad night of sleep.  "Over an hour."

"We can wake her up." Mom says just trying to help.

"No!" Sage and I whisper at the same time.

"I'm sorry." Sage offers, "But Scarlett tends to have a difficult time sleeping. If she wakes up now, she probably won't go back to sleep until tomorrow."

Mom goes into parental mode. "Can we move her without her waking?" I just stand there, I've never noticed her sleeping poorly. Usually she's out within twenty minutes.

Sage thinks about it before grimacing. "It's still possible she could wake up."

There's too much moving involved, it's a recipe for disaster.

"When was the last night Scarlett had a proper night's rest?"

I want to say two nights ago but Sage looks from me to my mom, "Two weeks ago."

That's around the last time I spent the night. Has she really gone that long without sleeping?

I give Sage a questioning look and he subtly nods his head. I don't say anything, but I can see the thoughts processing in my mom's mind. I'm definitely going to get a lecture if she figures anything out.

"She can stay here." Mom finally says, turning to Sage she adds, "Do you have any clothing she can wear in the morning?"

"Yes ma'am. Thank you."

I follow him out to their car, laughing as he hits his head going through the doorway. He flips me off, buckling Saffron into the back seat before rummaging around in the back. Their car is full of random stuff forgotten after long days of school and sports. A few miscellaneous items are thrown around before he comes back out with a few folded items and a glasses case.

"She doesn't have any shirts but here's everything else she'll need." He hands me the stack. I hear something rattle but I don't look, this is Scarlett's stuff not mine.

It's foreign to see Sage act so mature and serious but I guess with Scarlett around he doesn't have to.

"How long has she had problems sleeping?" I ask, the news completely new to me.

Sage closes the back, debating on how much to tell. That's what so admirable about their relationship, they respect each other.  "She has for a while."

"Why?" Maybe I'm prying too much.

He kicks a rock from the driveway, "My sister worries about everything, she always has. Now she just has a lot more to worry about and that along with a few other things tend to keep her up. Most nights she's lucky to get four hours tops. Before Valentine's Day her most restful night was New Year's Eve."

That's the first time I slept over. I couldn't imagine functioning on that little sleep for a day let alone weeks on end. I can tell Sage doesn't want to say anymore but I have one last question. "Why me?"

Sage looks me dead in the eyes, appearing years older. "I can't tell you how my sister feels, Ashton, because I'm pretty sure she doesn't have the answer. Or at least she doesn't want to acknowledge that yet."

I ignore the disappointment that shifts through me, I don't know why since I know this already. She needs time.

"But I can tell you this, you make her feel safe. And right now, she needs that more than she needs any relationship. She's dealing with a lot."

Something about hearing this makes me feel better, her earlier words coming back to me, I trust you. "I understand."

"Good." He says clapping my shoulder, applying a painful amount of pressure. "Please just don't give her another hickey."

I wave him off before heading back in. Ronnie's in the kitchen eating ice cream so I set Scarlett's clothes down before going in there.

"What's up, Munchkin?" I ruffle her hair.

"Nothing. Is Scar sleeping over?" She asks, offering me a bite of ice cream.

I take the spoon, "Yeah. She's sleeping now so just make sure you're quiet when you go to bed ok."

"Do you like Scar now?" She questions, a hint of sass in her voice.

I give her a hug, a suspicion she already knows the answer. "Yeah, I do, Ronz."

I tip toe upstairs just for mom to scare the shit out me.

"Here's a spare toothbrush and towel she can use in the morning." She adds the things to my stack.

I wait for a moment, expecting a warning or lecture of some sort but instead I get a kiss on the cheek.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" I whisper after her.

Mom stops and turns around. "Nope, I trust Scarlett."

Of course she does. This is coming from the woman who believed my hickey was from the vacuum cleaner. Carefully I set her things down on my dresser. I plug her phone in, pausing to admire her screensaver, a picture of us on Valentine's Day.

I wonder where we would be right now if I had come clean like I had planned on. Would she still be asleep in my bed? Would we be something more? I put her phone down, there's no reason to battle what if's.

When it happens, it happens.

Scarlett's moved into the center of the bed, her hair is sprawled all around like a halo. I take a moment to look at her, enjoying it while she's not able to flick me off or hide behind her hair. Her face is peaceful, a soft smile on her lips that makes me wonder what she's dreaming about to be so happy.

I slide under the covers slowly, so I don't startle her. Instantly she shifts, nestling herself in the crock of my neck with her arm thrown over my stomach. Lavender radiates from her and a smile breaks out on my face.

Gently I press a kiss to her temple, "I love you, Scarlett."

She hums in her sleep, snuggling against me. It feels good to get those words out, even if she can't hear them yet.

****

Hello, I'm so so tired but it's only 5. Here's a new chapter as promised!!

Hopefully you liked it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 25.3K 31
| Completed 10/11/19 | ♡ "Stop looking at me like that!" "Looking at you like what?" "Like you...like you ugh." "Like I what?" He began to chuckle. "...
2.5K 232 42
Mora has only ever focused on one thing. Her brother and their two best friends. Not a care in the world, except what kind of toppings they would eat...
170K 5.1K 56
*mature* 💋💋THIS BOOK IS YOUR SEXY HOT SAUCY GUILTY PLEASURE at your fingertips...WARNING: contains explicit sex💋💋 Sometimes a kiss can take us de...
13.7M 504K 67
Book 1 in the "Life in-" series Scarlett Rain Rhodes is just like every other 17 year old high school Junior. She goes to school, makes good grades...