Ray Oneshot Book [The Promise...

By KazuKazuyas

A collection of Ray x Reader oneshots!! This oneshot book may include: •Fluff •Angst •Anime and Manga Spoiler... More

Table of Oneshots
A Different Escape
What Now, Papa?
Hideaway
TPN Anime North!
A Bouquet For You
Ray's Sorrow
Destiny's Taunting
Night Terrors
Survivors
Discontinued

Let Me Go, Papa

10.3K 153 865
By KazuKazuyas

Reverse TPN AU!

Papa!Ray x Child!Reader Part 2

[Angst/Borderline fluff]

Requested by: KiyomiMurakami

Listening to Emma’s Determination, Escape Reasoning, and The Promised Neverland (Epf solo Version) from the OST, respectfully, might get you into the story a little more.

Light shines up through the floorboards, your face presses against the wooden planks as you stare through the crack. You close an eye as you studied the room below, no one seemed to be down there but you had to make sure that the room was empty.

A bell was heard ringing in the hallway, the sound of little feet running around echoed right after. Just when you thought it was safe to exit, the library doors swing open. You gulped when a little boy enters the room, he grabs a book from the shelf before leaving.

It was nighttime, the children were finally getting ready for bed. They all rush to their rooms, eagerly waiting for their Papa to read them a bedtime story. Not only did you miss that nightly routine, but you also missed being surrounded by your younger brothers and sisters.

You saw this as a green light to come out of your hiding spot, opening the ceiling’s hatch. It was a small, square-looking door that had a round handle attached, you opened it with caution

 Light floods up and you can see freshly made food sitting on top of the desk's table, your mouth almost waters at the sight. Carefully, you placed your bare feet on the mahogany shelf and balanced yourself. Using the ladder leaning against the wall, you grabbed onto it and slowly made your way down.

Walking towards the food, your pale face was hit with the warm steam you haven't felt in a long time. The smell of the rice and chicken made your eyes sparkle and stomach grumble. You immediately grabbed the waiting spoon and fork, digging into your food straight away. A delightful hum came from you, you sunk down onto the chair and slouched against the table.

But it was never supposed to be like this, your life was supposed to end the moment you turned twelve. It's been two weeks since your suicide attempt and your existence is only known to one man; your Papa who has a heart that bleeds for you. He is the sole reason you chose to live because Ray knew he would die without you.

So, here starts the illegal action, keeping a top scorer from leaving the house. During the day you would stay in the attic, peaking through the floorboards and rolling around in the dust like a forgotten doll. One thing that manages to spark your interest is a window that shows the forest. Most of the time you watch the children flood outside, once you knew it was safe, you would head downstairs to steal a snack.

You can handle it yet the moment nighttime hits, the attic becomes cold and dark which frightens you enough to have a restless sleep. So, Ray has made an arrangement where you sleep in his secret room, it was filled with forgotten toys, and there was the radio he told you not to touch. It may be dusty and dim, but it is warmer than staying in the attic and it’s only a door frame away from where Ray was.

And sometimes he doesn’t even sleep.

You remember waking up in the middle of the night to Ray being punished because he lost his only "premium quality". Grandpa, Ray’s former Papa, the one who used to play lullabies on the mandolin, has turned into a cruel man.

You recall him scolding Ray through the radio, referring to you as an “it” and your identification number, XX494. It was a bitter memory, watching him turn around to see if you were awake and realizing that you were, his expression was pure misery. Absolute agony, maybe a little bit of regret for keeping you alive.

Lifting up the empty plate, a folded slip of paper was underneath. You wiped the corners of your mouth and set the metal utensils down before taking the note and opening it. Your eyes read over the words again, making sure that what you were seeing was correct.

Come to my room, please.

Not the secret room, his own room. You’ve only walked through it, not even spending over a minute in there. The very place where he sleeps and does his work, the only place where you know he would be vulnerable.

This twenty-two-year-old man had his own weaknesses, it almost made him seem like a child.

“I’m scared…” You mouthed to no one.

•••

The note was placed on top of the empty plate which you set gently on Ray’s office table. You walked back slowly as if you were fearful to trigger an alarm, you spent two weeks pretending to be nothing yet you still weren’t perfect at it.

The back of your leg hits the edge of his bed and you sat down, staying as still as a statue. You felt out of place, you kept darting your eyes around his room, beaming with curiosity. Looking around, you can see his personal library of books, hung grey uniforms, and a framed picture of Ray when he was your age.

There was a figure with silver-white hair accompanied by a girl with fiery red hair, her green eyes were almost mesmerizing. Emma, you’ve heard about her so many times. Ray almost calls her “sister”.

You turned your attention elsewhere.

Soon, you found yourself staring at the metal round hole punch sitting on Ray's desk as you cupped your left ear. It was a device used decades ago, it surprised you that he still had one. The silver handle and the snapping sound, you remembered everything. The single circle hole punch was terrifying.

The invention he made so long ago failed to function after years of not being used. So, Ray became desperate and turned to something else that would take that tracker out of your ear. It took a whole lot of strength to keep you still, you were practically throwing yourself around in attempts to get yourself out of his grasp.

There was a lot of screaming and crying that came from you, Ray hasn’t even touched your ear yet. All it took was for him to yell at you to remain still and suddenly you collapsed to the ground out of your overwhelming fear for the man. His hand was on the side of your face, keeping your head to the floor as Ray pinches your ear gently.

Then, a single snap, a pulse of pain flows through your body like a cold sweat. You could feel your own blood trickling down the tunnel of your ear, it was hot and it couldn’t stop. A small, blinking pod was sticking out of your ripped lobe.

A tiny piece of your ear dropped to the floor along with the single hole puncher, your eyes widen at the gruesome sight. With trembling fingers, Ray tears out the tracker, almost on the verge of crying from listening to your screams of pain.

You touched the edge of your ear, it felt like the crescent shape of the moon. Looking back at it again, the hole puncher looked different, Ray must have bought a new one. Of course, who would bother using that blood-stained device?

“I’m sorry for making you wait,” His voice is heard from the opening door. “The children wanted another bedtime story.”

Shuffling awkwardly on the bed, you felt like a small mouse in a cat’s den. Under Ray’s arm was the bedtime story, which he places in the bookshelf, the man also glances at you as he waits for your response.

“It’s okay,” You whispered, watching him make his way to the desk.

His brown shoes, black pants, grey button-up, you almost grew tired of seeing him wear the same uniform. Ray’s head tilts downwards and his black hair falls over his left eye like that picture of him when he was eleven.

The male turns around and you can see his back and broad shoulders, you knew it was because of how many children he carries every day. You were sure that he could probably haul you over his shoulder without effort.

"The usual," Ray says, sitting down on his leather chair. “What happened today?”

Your eyes glanced around the room in thought, trying your nest to remember the events that you saw. There was a bit of a pause before you looked back at Ray, he was staring down at the paperwork on his desk, writing diligently.

"The kids were telling each other scary stories," You stated. "I believe that they found the book in the back of the library."

"I see," He nods curtly, clicking his pen and putting the documents away only to take out another file.

"Also,” You snickered a little. “One kid snuck leftover snacks into the dormitories."

"I'll let it slide," Ray mutters.

You can say that you are Papa's lookout, being called a spy is like you are doing something mischievous. You remembered why Ray asked you to watch over the children without them noticing, you also thought it wasn't exactly the right thing to do but you couldn't say anything that would change his mind.

It was your little secret, after Ray told the rest of the kids that you ran away, they grew skeptical. Of course, he had no proof of you running away but he didn’t have the heart to tell the children that you attempted to kill yourself. As of now, you no longer exist in Gracefield.

"By the way, make sure you're more careful when you're walking," He scolds. "I can still hear your footsteps."

Your face flushes as you looked away shamefully, "I'm sorry, Ray." It felt foreign to address the man by his name, you couldn't seem to get used to it.

You didn’t know how to be invisible, you don’t know what it’s like to not exist. It wasn’t your fault that the attic’s floorboards creaked after every step you took, it’s not your fault for wanting to go to the bathroom while there are children roaming the halls.

“It’s alright, [Y/N],” He reassures you, still playing the Papa role. “Afterall, I tell the children it’s just little fairies dancing in the attic.”

“Okay…” You replied because you know he wouldn’t stop until you feel better.

"Anyway, I received the news that a younger sibling of mine is training to become a Papa like me..." Ray runs his fingers over the mahogany desk. "I’m not sure if you remember him, he's a little older than you. His name is Phil."

There was a bitter smile on your face, "Perhaps he'll be better than you..."

"He just might," Ray begins to trail off.

Phil won’t break the rules as you did, Papa.

The black-haired man reaches into his pocket, “I got this for you.”

Your eyes land on the wrapped rectangle in his hand, your lips parted in curiosity as he unravels it to show you. Ray hands you leftover dessert, a chocolate brownie.

Cupping your hands, you held the cake gently as if you were going to break it. It’s been a while since you had Ray’s baking. You take small bites, savouring the taste because you know you would not have the same chance again.

The man lowers his gaze as he tapped his pen on the desk, amber lights reflected off his pale face. You watched him let out a sigh, his black hair was almost covering his eyes. He was stressed, frustrated, you’ve seen this expression more often than your siblings.

"Two days from now, someone is coming to visit the house," Ray speaks slowly. "They're sending in... another Papa... for a check-up."

“Why now?” You wiped the crumbs off your lips and folded your hands together, "Are you in trouble?"

"They might have gotten suspicious that they haven’t received any of my children in a while," He sighs.

Your lashes lowered, you partially hated Ray for calling them his children.

"He's just going to check on the kitchen, probably the radio room as well."

"I should hide my stuff," You exclaimed.

"I already put them away," Ray replies. "It's just... Now you have to hide."

You stared down at your hands, “Understood.”

“That’s why…” He goes quiet.

“Why?” You looked up.

"Carol is going to be sent away tomorrow,"

"What?"

Ray continues to look at his papers.

"Please don't let them take her,"

"I can't change the system,"

"Swear to me," You threaten.

"I just can't,"

"Swear to me, Papa!"

Ray turns away.

"Swear to God!"

He finally cracks, "If you only listen to me, things would go much smoother."

"I don't want her to die...!" You whispered tearfully. "She's my only friend...!"

"I can't do anything about it," He fires back. “As I said; it’s the system here.”

"She's the only one who still thinks about me...!" Your voice breaks.

"October 17th," Ray bellows. "Carol turns twelve."

"Papa, don't..."

"You still don't understand," He murmurs. "I hate this life, I'm too selfish to quit. Do you think I can sleep after every damn shipment?"

You wiped your tears away, staring hard at him through your fingers. “Don’t call them shipments.” You sputtered.

"Well, don’t call me Papa."

•••

After watching Carol walk out of the house with Ray was enough to break your heart. No matter how much you cursed at the man, cried in front of him, told him that he was a monster, Ray reminds you to stay quiet.

That night, you sat there on your bed, hair draped over your face as you grieved the death of your only friend. Your frail figure shakes as you tried to hold in your cries, your lips were practically starting to bleed from how hard you were biting yourself.

Soon, a thick blanket falls over your shoulders, a hand rubs your back soothingly. Your eyes squeezed shut as your tears fell down endlessly, throwing your head down at your pillow in attempts to get away from Ray.

He doesn’t leave though, you ended up falling asleep as he hummed a soft tune. You were a small ball of sadness and Ray just happened to be the reason for that. How could he do this to you?

•••

The next day, there was another man, walking through the hallways and entering random rooms as if he were searching for a lost object. It was difficult for you to make out his features, the hat on his head and the angle of your position was almost impossible to see his face.

However, you could tell the man was the same height and age as Ray. It surprised you to see a man other than your Papa, perhaps he was one as well.

"Is everything alright?" Ray's voice can be heard from across the hallway, he was carrying a small child in his arms. There was tension in the air that made you feel uneasy, like prey being surrounded by its predators, they were closing in.

"I need to look at the attic," The man replies while tilting his head up to look at the ceiling. You held your breath and shut your eyes, fearful that he could see you through the floorboards.

He sets down the child, "This way," Ray's response was a tad late which caused the man to turn his face away.

Both men walk down the hallway and turned the corner, disappearing from your sight. Your fears were coming true, being seen in your hiding place was an immediate game over. Getting caught not by your brothers and sisters, but another adult was practically the worst outcome.

The stairs outside the door were creaking from every step they took, you seemed to be frozen where you sat. It took all your strength to push yourself off the floor to search for your emergency hiding spot. Slowly and desperately, you used the wall to guide yourself through the darkroom.

There, in the corner by the window, thick white curtains were draped. It was tiny enough for you to stand straight as well as the boxes placed in front which perfectly covered the lower half of your body. With your white clothing, you were practically invisible as long as you remained still and silent.

Keys jingled and the doorknob twists open, a wave of anxiety crashes over your body. Tensions rise as both men stepped into the attic, your hands were shaking terribly as you tried to keep them by your sides.

"It's tidy in here," The man complements, taking a step into the room.

"I used this place as storage," Ray adds while his eyes scanned the area, most likely searching for you.

Your blood drains as you caught Ray's verbal mistake, hoping the other man doesn't realize that he spoke in the past tense. You hear them walking closer to your hiding spot, inhaling deeply when they step into your field of vision through the curtains.

The man stops in his tracks and stares at the floor, his back was facing you making it difficult to see what he was looking at. Ray seemed to tense up as his pupils dilated sharply, he stared at the floor as well.

"What's this?" Crouching down, the white-haired man picks up a small purple book with the tips of his fingers.

Your eyes widen at the sight, pursing your lips together to suppress a gasp. Ray struggles to answer the question, he simply stares blankly.

"Why is there a book here?" The man asks again. "Where did this come from?"

"Some children play up here,"

"But you keep the door locked,"

There was a deafening silence that engulfed the entire room, you were scared that the men could hear your heart practically beating out of your chest. It suddenly became very cold, this growing tension was becoming too overwhelming for you.

"No-"

"Ray, I want to believe you," The white-haired man stands up straight and drops the book onto the floor with a thud. "But I also want to give Grandpa answers."

Your Papa frowns, "For what?"

"The premium quality," He demands. "Where is she?"

Ray inhales sharply, "She committed suicide two weeks ago."

"Now, how was she able to do that?"

"She climbed the wall," Ray slows his words. "And jumped into the cliff."

The man pauses, "How wasteful."

You feel yourself shrink on the spot as the man walks toward the window. He was so close that you could practically see his platinum white hair sticking out from under his hat. He stands next to you and stares out the window.

Ray sighed sadly, "I had no choice, I couldn't talk her down... I watched it happen."

"I'm sorry to hear about that,"

"So, please think before you come here."

"I can’t imagine, it must have been heartbreaking."

Cold blue eyes make contact with yours and the blood drains from your face. Your expression was of pure horror, like you were face to face with the devil himself. The subtle curl at the corner of his lips, narrowing of his eyes, the look of satisfaction when spotting his prey.

The man continues to stare out the window.

Ray sighs, "It's different from shipping them out."

Was that your imagination? Did you imagine him catching you? It feels like all their air has been sucked out of your body. Your heart was practically thumping against your chest, wanting to escape out of your ribcage.

"Oh, it looks like the children are heading back inside," He turns to Ray. "They must want dinner."

Your Papa averts his gaze, "Perhaps..."

"Then, I'll be heading back to Headquarters. Nothing to report." There was a closed-eyed smile.

"Thank you..."

"I'll let myself out, try to avoid losing another child, Ray."

His black bangs fall over his eyes, "Goodbye, Brother."

The intruder finally leaves and you can breathe again.

“[Y/N]...?” Ray whispers, glancing around. “Where are you?”

You say nothing and he exits as well. You were a ghost after all.

•••

Hours later, you find yourself walking through the dark hallways without Ray’s acknowledgement, it was a habit of yours. During the nighttime, the children were already fast asleep and you were certain that they weren't brave enough to explore out of their rooms. Perhaps this is how they started to create those ghost stories about you, maybe they thought they were seeing a spirit walking down the hallway.

You poked your head into the kitchen and saw Ray standing at the very back, it surprised you to see him out of his room. You can tell he was wearing his outdoor clothing and he was occupied by staring outside the window. Growing curious, you walked closer to the adult, wondering why he was up after you saw him going straight to bed.

“Papa?” You whispered, voice faltering when he doesn't turn around. “Where are you going?”

There was a pause before the figure glances over his shoulder, his white lashes lowered when he sees you. You stared up at him, your heart sinking at the sight.

“Who are you?” It wasn’t Ray’s voice.

It was the intruder. He was standing in the kitchen and he was just about to leave. Maybe it would have been better if you kept your mouth shut.

“I’m [Y/N],” You replied bravely, lowering your head to hide your identification number.

Realizing how nonchalant he was acting, you figured that he doesn’t know who you were. Perhaps acting like a regular child would cause him to lose interest in you. He hasn’t seen your face, he only knows that there was a Gracefield girl that committed suicide.

“Well, I’m your Big Brother,” He greets. “I suppose your Papa already told you about me?”

“That’s right,” You nodded once.

The man sighed in response, “So, why are you up so late?”

“I had a nightmare,” The lie fumbles out of your mouth.

“Oh, what scared you?”

“I was being eaten alive by a monster,”

He hums, “I’ve dreamt of those too.”

You looked up at him and he smiles sweetly. Knowing that you were face to face with a man who had the power to send you away was absolutely terrifying. He looked normal, almost Papa material but you assumed that he didn’t want to take care of children.

“Well, you should go back to sleep,”

“I will,”

The man places his hand on the doorknob, twisting it and pulling it open. 

“Goodbye, [Y/N].”

“Goodbye sir,” You cleared your throat. “Big Brother.”

He stops himself from exiting, tilting his head to the side to glance at you. He found it odd that you addressed him so formally, and then covered up that mistake. You stared back at him, waiting for him to leave. He turns to look at you properly, you never felt so small.

“There was a reason I stayed back,” He says.

The wind was knocked out of your chest, you looked at him with disbelief.

The man shuts the door, "So, how did you find out?"

You didn’t say anything, you knew you messed up.

“It’s okay,” He says sweetly. “You can tell me.”

Your lips parted, trembling as he takes off his hat.

“I promise I won’t be mad.”

You gritted your teeth in fear, "M… Minerva told me."

He closes his eyes and smiles, "That's impossible."

You didn’t want to say anything more.

"You saw the cliff, correct?" The man asks.

You watched him make his way in front of you. His gaze pierced through your soul, it was unforgiving.

"I was the first one to see it with my own eyes."

A gasp escapes your lips as he advances forward, your feet were glued to the floor.

The man grabs your chin to tilt your head to the side, "That identification number... It's outdated…”

You held back your tears, your eyes pricked at the attempt.

“You were born in 2044..." He was in thought.

"Please don’t…" You whispered.

His cold finger drags along the side of your neck, “You’re expired.”

You couldn’t push him away, you couldn’t do anything but stand as still as a statue. Calling for help was useless, the children would see you alive and Ray would be arrested on the spot.

“Now, tell your Big Brother Norman why you’re still here."

•••

Ray is taking in deep breaths as his hand clenches his chest in pain, both of his eyes were shut tightly. It felt like he was floating down to earth like he was a weightless feather that was ripped off a bird.

The moment his feet are planted on the grass, his eyes open to glance down at this body. Brown boots, white pants, and white button-up, the same uniform he wore when he was eleven.

Touching his face, Ray feels nothing, it was as if he was a ghost. The boy glances around him, black hair swaying over his eyes as he stares at the concrete wall ahead. A certain girl was walking along the wall, her hand trailing behind.

“[Y/N],” His childish voice echoes when he calls out for you. “My beautiful… child.”

You stopped walking, glancing at him with a peaceful expression. The boy’s breath hitches when you made your way towards him, it was like you were gliding effortlessly through the grass with each step.

Standing before him, the two of you were roughly the same height, perhaps he was a bit taller. It was strange for Ray to stare at you without having to lean down, you came closer to whisper in his ear.

“Why did you lie to me, Ray?” You asked.

His eyes widen, his heart was breaking from what you said. This child was easily persuaded when it came to someone he loved dearly and to know that he was the reason why you were in danger, it was destructive to him.

“You said I was safe,” You pouted and crossed your arms playfully. “Now look what happened.”

“Ray said the exact same thing to me,” Emma laughs lightly, stepping out of your shadow to introduce herself.

“I guess he knows how this is going to end,” You replied to the girl.

“Don’t do this…” He raises his hands to cover his face, it was like a wave of guilt crashed over his small body. “Please don’t do this to me…!”

“Don’t cry, Ray,” Emma says sweetly. “It’s not worth it to waste your tears on two dead girls.”

“She’s right,” You laughed. “It’s too bad you’re going to be left alone after all this.”

“Please forgive me,” Ray whispers. “I know it’s my fault, I should have chosen to be sent away-”

“No,” You cut him off. “You should have chosen to send me away.”

There was a firm hand that grabbed Ray’s shoulder, it made the boy jump out of his skin. Turning around, Ray is greeted with soft sapphire eyes. The male in front of Ray flashes a small grin, his white hair sways as the wind flows against his face.

“I’m sorry you had to see me again,” Norman glances to the side and sighs.

Ray’s eyes widen, his grey orbs shook from his overwhelming emotions. His hands even trembled, words failed to come from his mouth.

Norman sees him struggling, “You know I don’t hate you, Ray.”

“You should…”

"What you did wasn’t right," Norman agrees. "But you can't be judged by it."

Ray looks down, “Why not?”

"I have no say," Norman replies with a smile. "I don’t know what drove you to do something like that."

"I want you to hate me, Norman!" Ray fires back, hitting his chest with his own hand. "She made me swear to God!"

“Oh, then you’re alright.”

“What do you mean…?”

Norman whispers slowly, "There is no God here.”

•••

Such a melancholic night for the death of an expired child. The dark clouds prevented the moon from providing giving out natural light, the only thing illuminating in the darkness was the single lantern hanging in front of the Gracefield Gate. It seemed like it was getting closer every second.

The man was holding you by the wrist, pulling you behind him as he walked towards the gate. Your boots made lines in the grass as you tried to fight back, yet no matter how much you tugged and refused, he still continued to drag you along as if you weighed nothing.

You hit his arms out of anger and fear, punching him as hard as you could, hoping he would just release you already. Instead, the man’s arms wrap around your waist to haul you off the ground, your feet dangled over the blades of grass.

"Please, I don’t want to go!" You screamed, thrashing around in Norman’s arms in attempts to escape. “Papa…!”

“Hush, [Y/N].” Norman’s voice was cold.

“Ray!” You cried out in pain. “Ray, please help me!”

The Gate was right in front of you, the steel bars were drawn up and all you could see beyond that was pure darkness. You couldn’t tell if there were other things lurking inside and you knew that this will be the very place where you will die.

There were too many things that you were never going to experience ever again, the pleasures of hot food, sleeping in your bed, breathing in the smell of the forest. Everything you have ever loved will be gone forever, your existence will be erased and you will become the dead girl you were rumoured to be.

Perhaps it was by pure chance that Ray woke up to the sound of the door slamming shut, knowing that his children would never leave the house during nighttime. It was pure chance that he decided to look into the Radio Room to check up on you, only to realize that you were no longer in your bed. That terrible pit in his stomach was telling him that you were in danger.

Chasing after your child and risking your life for the sake of keeping them safe is what a true Papa does. Ray was always smart, he knew every habit of every child, he knew how to take care of them properly.

A certain black-haired man ran towards the Gate with a provoked expression on his face, the two of you stopped before reaching the concrete floor and your blood drains from your terrified face.

“Papa…” You cried softly. “Ray… Help me…!”

His expression becomes mournful as he sees you struggling to stand up straight. Ray was almost speechless, “Norman, what are you doing?”

"Your other children are very observant," Norman praises. "They noticed that you always make one extra plate for dinner."

“Don’t do this to me,” Ray begs. “Please… Just leave us…!”

"You've been hiding a premium quality," Norman smiles bitterly, holding you closer to him. "Grandfather Leslie will be very upset with you."

A pale hand pushes your hair away and pinches your ear roughly, exposing the crescent of missing flesh. You yelped in pain as Norman’s grip on your arm tightens, he forces you to be still as he shows Ray the side of your head.

“You did this,” He points angrily. “You went through the trouble of removing the tracking device from her… You must have been out of your mind.”

“Let her go...! Let Em…!” Ray shuts his lips quickly, sweat rolls down the side of his face as he shuts his eyes in heartache.

"I see, it's because this child reminds you of Emma," Norman says painfully. “You think you’re the only one who is suffering?”

“I said let her go! She is my child!”

“And Emma was my everything...!” Norman’s grip tightens. “She was everything to me and you still allowed her to go on your behalf!”

You stared at Ray, lips parting out of shock from the other man’s statement. Your Papa was also affected, his grey eyes widen with sorrow.

“I know, I couldn’t…” The black-haired male fights back tears. “I couldn’t choose…”

“You let Papa make the choice, you let him send Emma away,” Norman slowly becomes hysterical. “Papa asked if you were willing to go instead and what did you say?”

“...You-”

You wouldn’t send your own son away,” Norman finishes bitterly. “That’s what you said.”

You have seen Ray sad, melancholic, sullen, but this time you could tell that his heart broke at this very moment. He looked demolished as if he had to relive his days back when he was a child, his whole world was crumbling. Ray looked like a hollow shell of a broken boy.

“Ray…” You spoke in a hushed voice that was barely audible.

“You killed Emma,” Norman speaks over you. “It will always be your fault.”

“I’m sorry,” Ray whispers with pure misery.

“How could you expect me to forgive you?” Norman was enraged. “I was never the same after…”

“Let go of [Y/N],” Ray bellows, engulfed with his anguish.

“Emma loved me,”

“Give me back my child,” He edges closer.

Norman smiles, “[Y/N] can meet the same demon that killed Emma-”

“She’s not leaving with you-!”

“And you can join in as another dish-!”

Your arm was released as a flurry of fists flew at each other out of all kinds of responses. It was out of anger, sadness, betrayal. You couldn’t even imagine what both men have gone through in their horrific childhood, both of them must have gone through the Papa training.

Such raw emotions, their actions were being driven from their hatred towards one another, the system, the death of their dear Emma. It was heartbreaking to know that these two boys had to live with the fact that they were the only ones to leave their orphanage alive.

Their attempt at escaping failed, just like yours. The cliff was the one thing separating heaven and hell, it meant so many things, you couldn’t explain it properly. Similar to the outside of the gate, it’s dark, endless, there will always be a danger at the end. Everywhere you looked it was just a reminder that you were going to die here no matter what.

The violence, despair, the butchering of children, why did it have to be innocent children? Everyone born in these farms wanted to grow up, they wanted to have a meaning in this cruel world. You guess that cattle children were below everyone else, you were just lumps of sad meat.

You covered your ears and started to cry as his body falls onto the grass.

•••

“It’s okay, Papa has you now…”

An overwhelming wave of emotions crashed over your shaking body as you held onto Ray for dear life. Your hands made fists of his clothes as you continued to adjust your grip onto his black button-up. Fat tears fell from your eyes as your chest heaves up and down, your voice was showing pure distress while you cried in his arms.

Ray's hand caresses your back soothingly as he starts to walk back to the house. His other arm was wrapped around your waist tightly, scared of letting you go once again. As Ray leaned his head against yours, there was a thin line of crimson running down his chin from his bleeding nose. His eyes were now half-lidded, staring lowly at the dark grass below.

You continued to let out sniffles, your face was blank, expressionless, you felt tired. Your hands released his clothes and you let your arms fall over his shoulders, shutting your eyes for a brief moment. It was at this point, your life was now known to another man, you will now forever be living in danger.

But Ray had other plans, in order to make sure that Norman wouldn't be able to take you away ever again, he came up with an escape plan. He knew it was going to be difficult and sacrifices will have to be made, however, Ray would rather die than lose another child again. Watching Emma being sent away was enough to kill him inside, although it was so many years ago.

So, what was he going to do? What could he possibly do to stop Norman? What was something Norman wanted? Someone? The lack of that girl, watching her be sent away, a black uniform with a suitcase in hand, knowing that her fate was already sealed the moment she stepped outside that door frame.

Norman was always weak for Emma and knowing that you were the closest thing that resembled her, Ray was also vulnerable. Looking at you only reminded him of the girl he betrayed long ago, your bright eyes, sweet smile, witty nature, it was as if you were Emma's child.

After reaching the house, Ray sets down your sleeping body onto his bed and tucks you under the blanket. The man stares down at your pitiful face and turns away to fight back his building tears. He walks over to his desk to write a letter to Norman, using a regular sheet of paper and inked quill.

It really was like the past was repeating itself, discovering lies, false promises, utter betrayal. Ray remembers the threats, how his own Papa aggressively made him understand his role in this world. Norman was treated the exact same way, constantly being put down after not making it to their Papa's expectations.

So, Ray made a deal within the letter. It was necessary for everyone, sacrifices will be made. If it won't work, he's sure that it would scare the other Papa's in the neighbouring houses. Maybe it'll get them to retaliate as well.

I've altered the sprinkler system to release gasoline as soon as it detects the slightest hint of fire. Step into my orphanage again and I will show you what I wish I could have done to our own house. Goodbye, Norman. I pray we never see each other again.

They met under professional terms, Ray handed the enclosed envelope to the white-haired man before walking away without saying a single word. Norman was puzzled by his actions, after all, Ray was, in fact, breaking the rules by keeping an expired child in the house.

Norman walks the other direction, into the darkness where the demons eagerly waited for their new batch of food. The man returns to his office in HQ where he cuts open the envelope to read the handwritten letter. It probably took him a while and a lot of rereading to process the words that Ray wrote.

Ray was continuing to be a good Papa, the usual routine goes about like any regular day. His cooking hasn't changed in the slightest, he still supervised the children to do their chores, and his introverted demeanour was still the same.

You were still a secret, for the next few days you haven't seen Norman come back for you. Perhaps he gave up after that fight he had with Ray? Whatever happened, you were grateful to still be alive and with your beloved Papa.

It seemed like Norman disappeared without a trace, maybe he decided to run away? Maybe this was his way of keeping quiet? Maybe Ray's words really did move him to keep silent.

Because no one dared to speak about Gracefield again.

Thanks for reading!

The alternate ending of this didn't make the cut so Imma show you my draft:

"Miss Minerva?" You whispered. "Could it be...?"

"Please take care of her," Ray says breathlessly, releasing his grip on your hand.

"I will," Green eyes look down at you. "Hey, [Y/N]... You have a wonderful Papa."

You hear him suppress a soft cry, Ray inhales while covering his face. It was for a split second but it was there, you saw him as a child. He was brushing his tears away, Ray's face was twisted into a sorrowful expression.

"You'll be safe with me," She wipes your wet cheeks. "No more hiding, no more running away."

"Can I at least say goodbye?"

"Of course,"

Ray opens his arms to hug you tightly. You embrace him as well, taking in his warmth before he lets you go for the last time. Miss Minerva waits patiently, her hands are folded together as she stands in her white cape. His tears land on your clothes as he loosens his arms.

"Wait for me," Ray pleads. “Goodbye.”

So, in an alternate universe, you ended up being saved by Emma Minerva yayayay!

Sorry for the long wait!

Hope you enjoyed Part 2!

Word count: 6795 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211K 5K 54
I love writing for Kurapika so here we are!! I take requests. All reader insert one shots. Kurapika deserves happiness.
441K 16.4K 32
❝ as long as i save my children, then so be it. i don't care whose blood i spill or even the amount of blood. demon or human, i won't let anyone take...
687K 14.4K 38
The promised neverland X reader oneshots SPOILER WARNING Credits to owner who owns the drawing and memes. ( If you want it taken down please messag...
152K 4.1K 179
❤️ For Ray's seventeenth birthday, Isabella had given him a camera. The first picture he took was you. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ! BOOK THREE COMPLETE ! 🖤 reader x...