Four Elements Book 1 - Hidden...

By MarionAvalon

#70 in Fantasy Fire. Water. Earth. Air. The four elements are not just elements. They are incarnated by four... More

Foreword
Prologue
Chapter 1 - A new start - part 1
Chapter 1 - A new start - part 2
Chapter 2 - That happy feeling of new friendships - part 1
Chapter 2 - That happy feeling of new friendships - part 2
Chapter 3 - "The circle has been formed"- part 1
Chapter 4 - Set in motion - part 1
Chapter 4 - Set in motion - part 2
Chapter 5 - The new masters - part 1
Chapter 5 - The new masters - part 2
Chapter 6 - Standing the heat - part 1
Chapter 6 - Standing the heat - part 2
Chapter 7 - Toughening up - part 1
Chapter 7 - Toughening up - part 2
Chapter 8 - Preparing for what's to come - part 1
Chapter 8 - Preparing for what's to come - part 2
Chapter 9 - The turning point - part 1
Chapter 9 - The turning point - part 2
Chapter 10 - The best and the worst - part 1
Chapter 10 - The best and the worst - part 2
Chapter 11 - Bad just got worse - part 1
Chapter 11 - Bad just got worse - part 2
Chapter 12 - Friendly intervention - part 1
Chapter 12 - Friendly Intervention - part 2
Chapter 13 - Finding a way - part 1
Chapter 13 - Finding a way - part 2
Chapter 14 - A new mission - part 1
Chapter 14 - A new mission - part 2
Chapter 15 - Fresh start - part 1
Chapter 15 - Fresh start - part 2
Chapter 16 - Challenges and half truths - part 1
Chapter 16 - Challenges and half truths - part 2
Chapter 17 - The last piece - part 1
Chapter 17 - The last piece - part 2
Chapter 18 - Everything changes - part 1
Chapter 18 - Everything changes - part 2
Chapter 19 - Moving on - part 1
Chapter 19 - Moving on - part 2
Epilogue
Author's note

Chapter 3 - "The circle has been formed" - part 2

5.5K 276 108
By MarionAvalon

"SURPRISE!"

Andie was stunned. The parlor was covered in red and gold streamers, and a large red banner with "Epic eighteenth birthday, Adrianna" in gold. Siobhan, the parlor staff, Jessica, Isabelle, Emily, and even Bane were there, laughing heartily at her expression.

"Oh, you should see your faces it's just priceless!" Jessica laughed, hugging her.

"You guys, what... you said you were all out of town!"

"Well, of course, we had to keep the surprise!" Bane grinned.

"You didn't actually believe we'd let you celebrate your eighteenth birthday without an epic party, did you?" Jessica smiled.

"But... how did you get the parlour to close?" Andie asked.

"I'm taking stock, aren't I?" Siobhan reminded her.

"But it'll cost you a day of work!"

"I really needed it anyway, so don't yeh go worryin', darlin'." Siobhan smiled. "And anyway, one day won't bankrupt me."

"Yeah, thanks again for this, Siobhan," Emily said.

"I hope you don't mind my being here," Bane put in. "I know we just met recently..."

"No, it's fine, I'm glad you're here. A little sanity in this room full of crazy females!" she laughed, grinning at Jessica and Emily.

"Oh, if you were hoping I was sane, I think you'll be disappointed," Bane grinned.

"Well, is this a party or what?" Jessica said, catching Andie's arm as Siobhan put on some music. The tables were stuck ot the ground, so there wasn't much to do about that, but Siobhan had decorated their favorite table with more ribbons, a large platter or sweets and chocolate and a big bowl of fruit salad along with glasses of soda with colorful straws and cocktail umbrellas. On the table behind that were several packages.

"Where d'you want to start?" Isabelle asked.

"I know where to start," Bane grinned taking Andie's hand. "Dancing our feet off!"

And so they did, laughing, and just being themselves, for once not worrying about looking stupid or ridiculous. It began raining outside. They all took pictures and enjoyed a huge chocolate cake covered in Smarties made by Siobhan with ice cream. Jessica then insisted on getting Andie to open her presents. Hers was the latest novel of a fantasy series Andie was reading and hadn't had a chance to buy yet.

"Oh, great, I couldn't find it anywhere any more!" Andie beamed.

"Nor could I, but I didn't let that stop me, you know me."

"You bet I do," Andie grinned as she hugged her.

Emily's was a small dolphin figurine.

"Em, this amazing, thanks!" Andie smiled and hugged her too.

Then, Bane stepped forwards nervously.

"I wasn't sure what to get you...so I made you this..."

He held out a wooden picture frame. Andie took it, intrigued. She looked at it and gasped. It was a drawing of her. She was laughing, her hair blown in the wind (well, as much as it could be given how short it was).

"... Wow... Bane, it's... did you draw this?" Andie asked, awed.

"Yes..."

"The detail is amazing... it's beautiful, thank you!"

She gave him a squeeze too.

"I'm glad you like it." Bane said.

"You must have spent hours on it!" she said.

"Don't worry. I never get tired of drawing." he said.

They smiled at each other.

"You guys are the best," she said, looking at them all.

"Oooh, friendship circle, guys!" Jessica said excitedly.

Bane suddenly looked nervous as Andie, Emily, Jessica and Isabelle held out their hands.

"Uh... girls, is it necessary?"

"Of course it is!" Jessica said. "Come on!"

She had warmed up to him, these last few days, it seemed. Andie was glad she had. Jessica, who never took no for an answer, pulled him forwards and placed his hand above theirs.

"Wait-" Bane began but Jessica had already placed his palm on Andie's which was above her other hand. And at the exact same second Bane's hand touched theirs, an earsplitting bang made them all jump as the lights went out.

"It's all right," came Siobhan's voice. "Don't get yerselves in a panic, it's prob'ly just a fuse."

They heard her high heels as she went into the back of the parlour. Andie glanced up at Bane in the dark.

"Uh... Bane? I'm fine, you can let me go..."

He had been holding her against him. Not that she minded, it was just a little odd.

"Oh... sorry." he said and let her go at once.

The lights flickered on and the clicking of heels told her.

"Sorry, darlin's, but I think it's best if we all wrap up for the nigh'. That storm ain't gonna be pretty, believe me."

"Yeah, she's right. Let's go."

They quickly hurried through the rain to their cars, shouting farewells and thanks as they left. Andie kept Hannah close under her umbrella (lucky she always had it in her bag), and held it over her as she got into the back of the car. She looked up as Jessica called her to say goodbye for the fifteenth time.

"Bye, Jessica, I'll see you at school!" she smiled.

"You better believe it!" she grinned and drove away. Andie chuckled and then her eyes fell on Bane. Again, he was looking at her. But this time he didn't look apologetic. He was just smiling. She smiled back. His face had a sort of odd mix between strength and vulnerability, though the eyes were what showed most of the latter. She waved and climbed into her car.

The storm was only brief. By the time Andie had pulled up into the drive, the rain had stopped. She and Hannah climbed out, carrying her presents.

"That was the besttest party ever!" Hannah said happily as Andie unlocked the door.

Andie laughed as she stepped aside to let her in.

"Besttest isn't a word, sweetie, I've told you before," she smiled as she put her coat on the hanger and keys in the bowl. "Now go brush your teeth and get ready for bed."

"Aww..."

"No arguing, Hannah, it's already long past your bedtime."

Hannah sighed but complied, heading off to the bathroom. Andie took the time to put her things up in her room, with Bane's drawing on her dresser, her bracelet in her jewelery box, her book in her bookshelf and shoes by her bed. She then went downstairs to check Hannah was doing what she had been asked.

"All ready!" Hannah said when she came down.

"Teeth clean?"

Hannah grinned hugely to show her.

 "Okay, good. Hands and face washed?"

 Hannah held them out.

 "Okay, you're clear," Andie smiled.

 "Will you read me a story?"

 "Tell you what. I'll read you a chapter, okay?"

 "Just one?"

 "Yes. It's late." Andie said. "It's one or none at all. Deal?"

 "Okay..." Hannah said, admitting defeated.

 "Now, you hop into bed and pick a story. I'll be there in just a minute."

 "'Kay!"

Hannah climbed up the stairs while Andie washed up. Once she was done, she changed into her pajamas, then joined Hannah in her bedroom.

 "Which one did you pick?" Andie asked Hannah, sitting down at the end of her bed.

 "The Secret Garden," she said, handing Andie the book.

 "Ah, good choice. Even though you've heard it about fifty times," Andie smiled.

 Hannah stuck her little tongue at her and snuggled under the covers.

 "Okay..."

 She cleared her throat as she opened the book.

 "When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle, everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen. It was true, too. She had a little thin face and a little thin body, thin light hair and a sour expression. Her hair was yellow, and her face was yellow because she had been born in India and had always been ill in one way or another..."

 And soon, they were both transported into the story, sharing one of those unforgettable moments Andie loved so much.

Andie finished the chapter, and glanced at Hannah. She had fallen asleep three pages back, but Andie hadn't resisted the temptation to keep reading just a little more. After all, she'd said one chapter. She watched her sister a few seconds, smiling fondly, then brushed her lips against her little head, carefully got off the bed so as to not jostle it, then quietly slipped out of the room. Feeling a little thirsty, she poured herself some water and looked up at the clock in the kitchen. It was almost one in the morning. She yawned as she put her glass away. She locked the doors, checked all the windows were shut, and climbed the stairs before slipping into her room. She liked her room. It wasn't huge, but fit her personality. A four poster bed with fine white curtains stood against the wall, with several pictures of her friends and her. Her wall was what her mother liked to call Andie's "time wall", because there was a picture of almost every event that had occurred in Andie's life since she'd met Jessica and Emily. She'd even found a space to put a picture of Isabelle (who was looking nervous and furiously red). She smiled, thinking she'd have to remember to print out the pictures of the birthday party and put a few up on the wall with the others. She couldn't keep the smile off her face as she thought about it. It had been the best birthday ever. Sure, her parents always gave her great presents and made sure she had a good day, but she'd never experienced it with friends. Not that she hadn't made a few in Denver, but none of them had seemed interested in her outside school. She'd asked them over a few times, but they'd always had an excuse, like "Oh, I would, but I have soccer practice", or "I have to go shopping with my mother, sorry," and the like. She still vividly remembered the first time she'd actually asked Jessica and Emily. She didn't think she'd ever been that nervous. She chuckled at the memory and lay on her bed, Stella hopping up noiselessly and curling up against her with a purr.

"Hey, girl... sorry we're a bit late," she said with a yawn.

Stella merely meowed softly. Andie smiled and stroked the cat's fur, letting the repetitive gesture slowly sooth her to sleep...

Andie was looking at her school. It still felt a little foreign to her, having been there only a couple of weeks. She clenched her small fists, giving herself courage. Her mother had asked her again why she hadn't yet asked Jessica and Emily over. So, Andie had said she would. And she had to confess she secretly really wanted to herself. She was just scared they would refuse and then refuse to speak to her anymore

Well, here goes nothing... Andie told herself. She breathed in and stepped forwards.

"Morning, Andie!" Jessica said.

Andie hadn't entrusted them with her real name yet.

"Hi, guys," she said. "Uh... I... was... I was wondering... are..."

She took a deep breath and tried again:

"Are you doing anything Saturday, because I'd like to invite you to my house..."

She had closed her eyes. When she didn't get an answer, she had cautiously opened them again. Emily and Jessica were looking at each other like she was mad.

"What, were you nervous about asking us?" Jessica had asked.

 "Uh... a little," she admitted, when "so nervous I can barely breathe" would have been more appropriate.

 "Sure!" she said, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. "What time?"

 "Uh... how's two?"

 "Perfect," Emily and Jessica had smiled.

 Andie felt thoroughly relieved. Then, Jessica made one of her infamous jokes and they walked off to class. Then, something changed. The scene blurred and she found herself in the dark. She suddenly felt nervous.

"There is nothing to fear of the dark, as long as you have the light." said a female voice she didn't recognize.

 Andie looked up, and saw herself as though in a mirror, except she couldn't see any. And she was wearing clothes Andie had never seen before. It was like red leather, and much closer fitting than what she was usually comfortable with. But the most surprising thing was her hair. It was longer, about to her shoulders. The "other Andie" saw a small light out of the corner of her eye. She looked round and saw a flame. It should startled her, but she didn't feel scared. Then, more flames appeared around her, slowly illuminating the darkness. Then, it was like a beam of light flicker of light went from one to the other and circled around "Andie", but leaving plenty of space around her. Then, something made her look at her hands. And what should have startled and astonished her felt... perfectly normal. And then, she looked up at Andie, a look of fiery determination in her eyes. Andie tried to speak, but couldn't. And suddenly, the words she meant to say echoed in her mind, clear as if she had actually spoken them.

 Who are you?

 The "other Andie" looked at Andie, and said, her lips moving effortlessly:

 "You know who I am."

Andie's eyes snapped open. It was dark. Stella had left the circle of her arms and curled up on her chair. Slightly breathless, she sat up. Looking out the window, she saw it was a full moon. She sighed. That was why she had had such a weird dream. The full moon always had a strange effect on her. And she had probably eaten too much. Yes. That plus the full moon had thrown her brain out of whack. That was all. She glanced upwards at the moon. I was high above the house across the street. She meant to turn round and lie back down, when something made her look round again. There, on the roof under the moon, she thought she could make out two silhouettes. But the moon and she couldn't see their faces or anything, but something felt familiar about them. She figured it was probably her imagination and shook her head. She suddenly felt thirsty so she slipped out of her bed and went to the bathroom. She switched the light on, blinking against the brightness. Once her eyes had adjusted, she ran a hand through her hair and looked at her reflection in the mirror. What she saw made her freeze. It was the "Andie" from her dream! Strong, confident, far prettier than she could ever be... Andie stepped back and blinked... but the moment her eyes opened again, she was staring at her own reflection, looking confused and a little scared. She straightened up and sighed.

"I really need to cut back on sugar..." she muttered, stepping forwards and splashing some water on her face.

She smiled at the thought of Isabelle and how she was almost terrified at the thought of her sisters eating too much sugar. It was not uncommon for sugar to be especially efficient in getting children excited. Hannah could be a handful if she had too much, sometimes. She dried her face, flicked off the light and went back to bed.

In the silence of the night, with no light to see by but that of the bright moon above them, two men were watching something in one of the houses before them. Or rather, someone. They watched as she reappeared and slid into under the covers, lay down and closer her eyes. She lay facing her window at first, then, probably bothered by the light, she turned round, showing only her short blonde hair. With a sigh, the youngest man sat down on the edge of the roof. Every time he saw her, his heart beat faster, he felt nervous, and ever more guilty at what he would have to do to her. She had a simple, happy life! Who was he to take that away from her, from any of them?

"They will be fine," the eldest of the two men said.

The youngest, who was only eighteen, couldn't believe his mentor was so calm.

 "... I still think you should have let me tell them before." he told the older man.

 His tone was slightly resentful, but mainly resigned.

 "I explained my reasons for telling you not to," the older man reminded. "But clearly, none of that matters anymore. And I've also told you to not let your feelings in the way."

"I am not letting my-"

"You are, and you know it." The mentor said calmly but firmly. "We both know how you feel. It's been like that for the past two years."

 The younger man couldn't argue, and he knew that as he looked at the older man. He had short light brown hair and large blue eyes. But no one but them could see it, because they were using their powers to hide themselves from view. The older man wasn't much older than him, the younger man thought. Well, not in appearance, anyway.

 "... No, I think that much is clear," the younger man agreed with a sigh. "But we can't leave them in the dark any more. It's too dangerous for them, and you know it."

 "Of course I know that," his mentor man said, looking down at his companion, the moon making his dark hair seem almost indigo, his blue eyes almost silver.

They stared at each other for a moment. Then, the younger man sighed and looked back towards the window.

"It's started, hasn't it? There's nothing more we can do."

The older man sighed heavily.

"No, I'm afraid we're far beyond the point of no return. The circle has been formed."

 *****************************************

Who are the two strangers watching Andie? Give us your opinion in the comments!

What do they mean, "the circle has been formed"? FInd out in the next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62K 5.8K 47
It's been six months since the whole Haydn incident. Darkness and Light are back where they belong- wherever that is- and things are starting to retu...
1.2M 87.1K 23
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series (But can be read standalone ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spr...
243K 16.6K 49
On the second jump, Claire's bad leg gave way and she felt herself tumbling forward. A cry of surprise escaped her and Claire was certain she was abo...
16.4K 153 14
Y/n: your name, L/n: last name, e/c: eye color, h/c: hair color, f/d: favorite drink, f/f: favorite food. Y/n is a special girl. She is rumored to be...