Life in Search ✔️

By Honey_Money_

Book 1.5 in the "Life in-" series Ashton McClain is lost. After two years of spiraling out of control he has... More

Master Reading List
Hello
1 ~ Lost
2 ~ Feisty
3 ~ Interesting
4 ~ Fine
5 ~ Boo
6 ~ Weak
7 ~ Bored
8 ~ Changed
9 ~ Annoyed
10 ~ Jealous
11 ~ Hothead
12 ~ Space
13 ~ Friends
14 ~ Pretty
15 ~ Reading
16 ~ Blessed
17 ~ Nerve
18 ~ Listen
19 ~ Date
20 ~ Flirt
21 ~ Smoothie
22 ~ Party
23 ~ Beautiful
24 ~ Friends
25 ~ Fighting
26 ~ Present
27 ~ Wrong
28 ~ Love
29 ~ Selfish
30 ~ Miserable
31 ~ Secret
32 ~ Dream
33 ~ Trap
35 ~ Win
36 ~ Lover Boy
37 ~ Thanks
38 ~ Leave
39 ~ Shame
40 ~ Gay
4 1 ~ Alabama
42 ~ Bliss
43 ~ Hooky
44 ~ Potter
45 ~ Finally
46 ~ Dating
47 ~ Kiss
48 ~ Monster
49 ~ Gift
50 ~ Free
51 ~ Oh
52 ~ Hospital
53 ~ Waiting
54 ~ All of it
55 ~ Happy
56 ~ You
57 ~ Children
58 ~ Weird
59 ~ Light
Epilogue ~ Ashlett
Sequels and Spinoffs
Bonus ~ Birthday
Bonus ~ Hufflepuff
Bonus ~ Cuddles
Bonus ~ Always

34 ~ Tamales

36.5K 1.9K 1.2K
By Honey_Money_

Everyone went to sleep, leaving me all alone with literally nothing to do.

So, being the clever guy I am, I decide to snoop. The TV room is full of pictures, so I just start at one end and move down the wall. I see a few repeats from Scar's room but tons more are new. My eyes freeze on the mantle, the only place with their parents' pictures.

The smiles on their faces stir an uneasy feeling within me but before I can dwell, my phone rings. Trying to remember the last time I texted Mom, I answer it.

"Hello?"

Heavy breathing fills my ear, making me want to gag.

"Mom? Ronnie, did you steel the phone again?" I ask lightly, trying to ignore the fact I'm completely freaked out.

The line goes dead, examining the caller ID before relaxing. It was just some stupid telemarketer.

"I'm home!"

Almost dropping my phone, I try to get my heart rate back under control. God, Ashton, stop being such a wuss.

"Hello?" Scarlett tries again as I follow the sound of her voice. Leaning up against the wall, I try to appear cool. Jumping, she turns around. "Where is everyone?"

"The twins took medicine and went to bed almost an hour ago. Sterling gave Saffron some Advil and she actually put herself to sleep maybe twenty minutes ago. You might still be able to say goodnight." Double checking mentally to make sure that covers everyone.

She blinks, appearing tried after a day of running around. "I'm so sorry you were by yourself. You could've gone home."

Yeah, like I'd do that.

"It's perfectly fine, I knew you'd be here soon enough." I assure her, shoving off the wall.

"Why'd you decide to grow it out?" She asks, drawing attention to the fact I'm scratching my facial hair.

I hadn't even realized, "I don't know, I thought maybe a change was good. Why, do you not like it?"

Because it could go if needed.

Her lips tug upwards, "I like it."

Oh, that's... good. It may be dark, but I can feel her eyes raking over my body. Is Scarlett Rhodes checking me out? My chest buffs out a little, she is.

This guys still got it. 

"I'm gonna go get changed." She blurts, fleeing up the stairs.

Right, so now I just wait again. My phone rings, startling my already paranoid mind.

"Hello?" I question shakily, ready to chuck my phone when breathing fills my ears.

I'm gonna kill Gabe, this has to be a prank.

"Ashton, Hun, when will you be home?" Mom's voice calms me down.

I'm okay, slowly, my grip loosens. There's nothing to be worried about. Chase's call was a month ago and he's been silent since, it was a one-time fluke. 

"Hey, Mom, probably not until later. Scar just got home."

"Alright, be safe please." She says before hanging up.

I always am.

The sound of bare feet padding against wood knocks me back to reality.

"The twins ordered pizza," I offer, "I hope that's okay."

I really didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

She chuckles, my attention falling on her. She's changed into leggings and one of my sweatshirts. "That's fine, what do you want to do?"

Oh, I didn't even think about that. Gosh, I spent all day wanting to hang out and now I don't have anything to do.

Nervously drumming on the pizza box, I remember our original plan. "We did miss out on a movie."

She smiles, snagging the box from my hands. We go up to her room, the two sets of stairs give me a good understanding of how she has a nice ass.

"What do you want to watch?" She questions.

Flopping onto the bed, I could care less. We could watch static and I'd be happy. "I've never seen Harry Potter."

She's mentioned it once or twice. I realize my mistake as I take in the flabbergasted look on her face. Oh, boy. "Never?"

"Never." A pillow gets chucked at me, "It just didn't seem interesting."

It's just a bunch of wizards in robes. What's the excitement?

The previews begin as she crawls into bed. I expect for her to lean into me, but she hugs herself. She's uncomfortable. I can tell by the way she gnaws on her lip, focused on the tv.

What did I do?

The theme music starts, her humming and dancing washes my worry away.

I didn't mean to laugh but the glare she sends my way shuts me up. "What?"

Someone's a little annoyed.

"You're cute when excited." I explain, unable to stop the words. Well, that's one way to break the ice.

She shoves me, "Just watch the movie."

There she is. Pulling her into me, I smile as her tension dissolves. This is comfortable, totally comfortable.

The movie drones on but I can't bare to pay attention, this sucks. What's better is watching Scarlett mumble the lines under her breath.

I'm beginning to think she's more than just a fan of this series.

I'm zoned out until cold hands wrap around my arms, startling me from my daze. Glancing over, I find her watching me with a smirk in place.

When the smirk turns into a yawn, I feel guilty. It's been a really long day for her and I'm just keeping her up. "I can go if you need to sleep."

"No, I want to see your reaction." She assures me, tightening her grip.

Sounds good to me, my focus is on her as she closes her eyes.

*****

I have no idea how much time has passed before the door flies open, "Scar, I'm ho-" Sage starts before noticing me. "Oh, hey man."

His shift from eager to cold hits me like a punch to the gut. While It's been smooth sailing with everyone else, I haven't had a chance to make things right with him. I apologized but that wasn't enough.

We aren't the way we used to be.

"I'll just get going." I offer glumly but he's gone before I can move.

That could've gone better.

Sighing, I gather Scarlett up in my arms and push the covers back. Laying her down, I pull her glasses off.

Staring down at her peaceful face, I smile. Pressing my lips to forehead, I whisper. "I love you, Scarlett. Harry Potter, not so much."

But I won't tell her that.

With one last glance, I grab my phone. "Goodnight, Sweetheart."

I think I'm home free until a thin, cold hand grips my arm. Oh, no. It's fine, I'll just play stupid. I didn't say anything about love.

"Did you like the movie?" She mumbles sleepily, not even fully conscious.

"Yeah, I loved it." I murmur, watching her slip back into deep sleep before heading downstairs.

Knocking on Sage's door, I try to keep the hurt on my face as he opens it with a blank face. "Are you done pinning after my sister or are you going to watch her sleep all night?"

Oh shit, he's still angry.

"No, um, I brought you pizza. I figured you'd be hungry." I explain, struggling to look him in the eyes.

I can see Sage think about not taking it but he's always hungry. Snatching the box, he goes to slam the door, but my foot stops it. Dear God, please don't be broken.

"Sage, bro, I'm sorry for what happened. Can we please..." my voice dies out as I take in his angered posture.

"Can we what? Have another talk where you apologize with the promise of still being my friend just so you can hook up with my sister and ignore me?" He snaps. "You're good for her, Ashton, but you don't have to pretend to be my friend in the process."

This time I don't stop him as he slams the door shut.

*****

Driving home, I try to collect myself from the conversation. I can't lose my friendship with Sage; he was the first person here who gave me a chance.

The kids a goof but I'd do anything for him.

Finding Abuela in the kitchen, drinking her late-night tea, an idea comes to mind. "Can we make tamales?"

I have some groveling to do.

*****

Knocking on the door I've stood in front of a hundred times, I try to smile. Seconds tick by until a sleepy Sage throws the door open. Blinking the light out of his eyes, he freezes. "Scar isn't here."

"I know, she's with the girls. I'm here for you." I offer with hope in my voice.

Sage eyes me over, already going to close the door.

"I have tamales!" I shout, please let me in.

Pursing his lips, the door opens wide enough for me to squeeze through. I follow him into the kitchen, stopping on the other side of the center island.

Something tells me he wants some space.

Sliding the container over to him, he licks his lips as he grabs a fork. "You have until I finish eating to speak, then you leave."

I nod, hoping I have enough time. "I'm sorry for ditching you and going awol. It wasn't right for me to do that without receiving a solid explanation from someone who isn't half psychotic."

The corner of his lips turn up but he stuffs his face to hide it. Progress.

"I never meant to hurt you and I know we've apologized but I don't want to lose you." I admit, really hating the fact I sound pathetic.

"We've apologized so what's the deal?" He demands bluntly.

"We aren't the same, I haven't gotten a video or meme sent to my phone in almost two weeks and it's boring. More importantly, I've never had friends."

He snorts but I push on.

"For real, I've shared this with Scarlett, but I need to do it with you too. Please, just don't hate me." I beg.

So I do, I tell him everything about myself, anticipating his reaction. He doesn't seem upset, nodding whenever it feels needed to give encouragement. The remaining weight is removed from my chest, no more hiding from my past.

I'm a monster, but I've accepted it.

"I've messed up and I hope you find it to forgive me because life's really boring without your annoying ass around." I joke before turning serious. "I've never had a friend to joke around, play games with, and feel comfortable around."

I've always had to watch my back, but Sage is legit.

"You're my best friend." I admit, knowing it's the complete truth. I can't have the same conversations I can have with Gabe with him, but we don't have to talk. We know without a doubt we'd be there for each other and that matters more. 

I'd take that over anything else.

Slowly, he shoves the last tamale in his mouth, and I await my order to leave.

It feels like forever for him to chew and swallow but I'm already heading back. I gave my piece.

"You're my best friend too." He offers and I freeze.

Did I imagine that?

"I'm used to people ditching me so when you left, I got pissed. My shrink thinks not giving people a second chance is self-destructive, but I can't help it. You were cool and genuinely nice to me. I let you in and then you bailed. Proving just how stupid I was."

He's not stupid by any means. I can tell it took a lot for him to admit that, even if he seems nonchalant.

"Our parents are a touchy subject and I am sorry for not telling you but I'm not sorry for following Scarlett's lead." He looks me in the eye, squaring his shoulders.

"I get it." Family comes first to them, I admire it.

"No, you really can't but maybe one day you will." He tells me honestly. "My family is all I have left, so if this whole friendship thing is gonna work, you've got to understand that."

I blink, unable to fight the grin on my face. "So, does this mean I'll wake up with some stupid video on my phone?"

He snorts, "Who said I was going to wait till then."

I shrug, following him upstairs. I wouldn't complain if I got a hundred videos. At least I have a solid friend to send them.

*****

We sit in his room for hours, playing Call of Duty 'till my fingers go numb.

"What's going to happen with Oklahoma?" He asks, finally taking a break.

Oh, I never told him. "Um, I got an offer." I admit, completely embarrassed. "But I'm not accepting it just yet."

He nods, "Congratulations."

"Thanks."

"No, congrats for knowing when to put your ego aside and follow your gut." He finishes calmly. "It takes a real person to make that call."

I guess it does but something else catches my attention. "My ego isn't that big, you ass."

He smirks, "Don't you eye yourself in the mirror after we lift weights?"

My jaw drops, I do not. Okay, maybe I do after I have a real good rep. What's wrong with a guy feeling himself? Reaching up, I punch his arm.

"Easy, I'm not gonna aggravate the guy who put someone in the hospital." He jokes and my smile falls.

No one's ever said that so casually.

Clearing my throat, I panic. "You're cool with that, right?"

He waves me off, "Of course I am, you didn't mean it and you haven't done anything these last few months to make me think you're anything less than a decent guy."

I just blink, why is he so calm about this? "Thanks, that means a lot."

He shrugs, motioning for us to play another game but I stand up. "Where are you going, Scar should be here soon?"

Grabbing my jacket, I grin. "I know, but I saw her last night, it was fun hanging out."

The realization that I'm not choosing her hits him and his face lights up. "Come over any time."

*****

Texting my mom as I hop out of my truck, I knock on the door. Ella appears, braiding her hair into a bun, clearly not expecting me.

"Hey, Ash."

"Teach me how to be there for them like you are." I demand, knowing she's the best option.

Ella is Sage's unofficial girlfriend and Scarlett's best friend. If anyone can ensure I don't ruin this any more than I already have, she's the gal.

Watching me decisively, she lets me in. "Ready to take notes?"

Am I ever.

*****

Not to brag but I have the next six chapters already written and ready to go!!!

I feel accomplished, not gonna lie.

XO~ Mo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242K 19K 37
He's a cynic. She's a romantic. One deal, one wedding, and one gigantic secret stand between them. ** Harper Lane wants to believe in true love. Afte...
154K 4.5K 37
She's the one who timidly hides alone in the back of the library, her nose buried in countless books. He's the one who's surrounded by heaps of fello...
13.7K 384 53
WARNING: THIS BOOK IS IN NEED OF EDITING. READ ABOUT CLICHE EVENTS AND EXPERIENCE PLOT HOLES AT YOUR OWN RISK "The kiss that started everything yeste...
1M 25.3K 31
| Completed 10/11/19 | ♡ "Stop looking at me like that!" "Looking at you like what?" "Like you...like you ugh." "Like I what?" He began to chuckle. "...