A Dance of Princes (The Heir...

By Abreadcrumbie

There's nothing extraordinary about Vincent Stronghold. Bullied by pesky jocks, living in poverty with his si... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
An Author's Note

Chapter 18

5.9K 257 26
By Abreadcrumbie

Author’s Note: So I apologize for the delay from the other chapter due to the fact that there was a nasty virus that went into my laptop. I had no choice but to reset everything because it wouldn’t let me go into safe mode to transfer my files into my hard drive; so yes, all of my brainstorming drafts and documents went down the drain, including the ones for my new stories that I was working on.

Hope you guys understand. Enjoy!

 ************************************

I stepped out of my bedroom after grabbing my mask and putting it on; it had the same colors as my outfit so it would match. Grandma, Mom, Mason, and Jack were waiting for my in the living room of my quarters.

Grandma was on the side with the coronet in her hand. I smiled apologetically at her and took it with gratitude, setting it on my head and made sure that my hair didn’t get messy with it on. It was weird, it didn’t feel this heavy back in the crown chamber. Maybe it was trying to emphasize that I was in fact going to be crowned king soon. I hugged her quickly.

“Finally, man,” Mason impatiently sighed. “I was beginning to think that we were going to be up here the whole night.”

Mom noticed a hint of confidence in my eyes even though they were shrouded through my mask. She always knew what was up. “Sorry, I was catching up with someone.”

“Well, whoever they are, they’re gonna have to wait,” Jack stressed. “Come on, people! We’re on a tight schedule here. Ms. Stronghold, gentlemen, Your Majesty, let’s move out. The Ball begins in less than ten minutes and we can’t start unless the hosts are present. Let’s move, people!”

Ever since I promoted Jack to my personal assistant, he’s been really taking his job even more seriously than before. He got phone calls more often, I would sometimes catch him holding a binder full of documents, and he seemed happier, if I caught it right. Maybe this raise helped him financially, who knows. I didn’t want to butt into his personal life. I’d let him come forward to me instead of my being rudely intrusive.

We powerwalked over to the elevators because we knew that it would take more than the time we had to get down there if we took the stairs. When we reached the ground second floor of the Palace, we ran into the Parlor where we prepared ourselves for the opening.

As usual, Grandma and I stepped through the doors and we were presented to the crowd as the music began to flood the room. Mason was by my side while Mom was dragged off with Grandma to go and introduce her to some of the guests that probably knew her from before.

Mason leaned against the balcony railing and I did the same. “So this is what it feels like to party with royalty.”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t get used to it. I’m not, and I’ve been here longer.”

“Do you smell that? Oh my god, that smells so good. I have to get down there and try the food.”

“You wanna grab something to eat? I’m afraid if I don’t get you to a table soon, you’ll chow my face off.”

“Oh shut up, you know how I am when it comes to smelling something that is inevitable to avoid. I must have a taste of what you’ve been eating this past month. I still don’t know how you’re not getting chubby.”

“Exercise, Mason. Have to boost up the metabolism to keep in shape.”

“Ugh, don’t even mention that word. I had to go to the gym for three days straight to burn off the stuff I ate from my mom and dad’s anniversary dinner.”

“Whoa, how long has it been already?”

“Ten years, and trust me when I say that I didn’t even bother counting.”

“Give your mom my congratulations for me.”

“I will, now off to the food!”

I escorted Mason down the staircase, occasionally nodding and bowing to a nearby royal and expressing my gratitude for their presence here at the Palace. We maneuvered through clusters of people talking and laughing, conversing about I-could-care-less. We finally made it across the room and reached the area where the food was. Countless tables lined up along the walls and dozens of different cuisines, exotic foods, and scrumptious looking desserts lined up, each one more delicious looking than the last.

Mason grabbed his plate and began advancing along the tables. I was about to grab my plate when I felt a finger tapping on my shoulder. I turned around and was met with a gentleman who looked to be the same height as me.

“Excuse me, are you Prince Vincent?” He asked. I nodded.

“It’s so great to see another member of the family! I can’t believe I have a first cousin.” His voice had a welcoming ring to it, and it had a very formal and posh and aristocratic accent to it as he grinned and bowed before me. “I am Prince George of the Alexandria Province here in Allyria.” He removed his mask and I couldn’t believe how similar we looked. I bowed with respect.

“Prince George, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

“The feeling is mutual, my dear cousin. It’s finally glad to know someone other than my sister.”

“I’m sure she’s great.”

“Oh believe me, she sometimes annoys me. She can’t stop talking about this book she’s been reading about romance and junk. But she’s tolerable nonetheless. Anyway, how are you enjoying Allyria?”

“Well, it’s pretty big, and rich I guess.”

“It’s probably the palace. Did you notice that it’s covered with jewels?”

“Now that you mention it.” I glanced around and tried to allow my eye vision to become vivid as I glanced around the walls and noticed twinkling as a light reflected along it. “No way, I never noticed that before.”

George laughed heartily. “It’s a very small detail so most don’t catch it; I personally think it’s a bit over the top on the design, but if it’s what they see fit.”

I nodded quietly before glancing back at Mason who was still carefully choosing what he should he tonight. George seemed to take notice in this and chuckled. “Why don’t we get something to eat, then? I’m starving and I can’t wait to eat some of this delicious food. Grandmother knows how to prepare feasts in her parties.”

We both grabbed plates and began moving down the line of choices at opposite sides of the tables. “Do you come visit here often?” I asked as I picked up a few tater tots with a small thong before moving down the line.

“I used to come by every weekend, but since Father’s death I didn’t have the courage to come up here that much. And I do regret it because I would love to see Grandmother more often.”

“Your… your dad?”

He struggled to form words to recite as he stared as a slice of blueberry pie topped with whipped cream that he was cutting. “Yes, Father had passed away over a year ago.” He exhaled before composing himself with a smile. “Nevertheless, he’s in a better place now.”

“I’m really sorry to hear that.”

“No worries, Cousin. I do express my deepest sympathies to you as well. I guess we can relate to that department.”

I nodded, thankful that he was very kind and genuine. “Thank you, I appreciate it.”

“Now, let’s not dwell in such a dark place when there’s a party going on. Let’s party!” We grinned as we continued to move along the line and grabbed an abundance of delicious desserts and cuisines.

We reached Mason and I paused him for a moment for an introduction. “Mason, this is Prince George Lutherford of the Alexandria Province, my first cousin.”

George nodded and extended a hand as a friendly gesture. “The pleasure it is to meet a very close companion of Vincent’s! The bond you two have must be unbreakable.”

Mason looked taken aback by the formality of his words as he shook his hand. “Prince George, it is an honor to meet you and thank you.”

“Why don’t we move this conversation over to a table? My stomach feels like it’s trying to pry out of my stomach and devour my plate itself.”

******************

“And then I told Grandmother, ‘No, you’re supposed to hit the red button, not the white button!’”

We began to laugh along with George as he told us about his escapades teaching Grandma on how to work the vintage games in the Arcade in the Palace. It was apparent that she wasn’t going get a high score on Pac-Man.

Octavian and Jason had joined us a couple of minutes after we sat down at a table in the corner of the room. The rest of the crowd was as live as ever, dancing to the upbeat music of the band that was playing. Silverscreen Nightmares was what they were called, an alternative band that produced catchy songs and unforgettable ballads. They were singing their newest hit Incomprehensible Equations which expressed their hatred for the higher mathematical subjects. I could really relate.

When a classical waltz came onto the stereo as the band stepped down for a break, Octavian stood and offered me his hand, a smile plastered on his face. “Will you take up the opportunity to dance with me, Vince?”

“O-oh, I don’t know, I’m not really-“

“Oh come on, I’ll teach you.”

“Like what happened last time!”

“Oh, that was just an accident. Come on.” He grasped my palm and dragged me over to the dance floor; I had to hold up my crown in place as he took me towards the center so that it wouldn’t fall off. Who in the world knows what people would think if the crown suddenly fell and shattered onto the floor?

With a swift twirl, I became firmly pressed against Octavian’s herculean form with his arm snaked around my waist while our hands grasped each other leveling at our eyes. We began taking steps around the vacant dance floor since we were the first couple to come about. Not that we were a couple. I meant that we were partners in dancing.

“I’m practically praying right now to not step on your feet or trip.”

Octavian chuckled as his arm slithered further more around the small of my back, closing the remaining distance between us as we continued to move around the room as other couples joined in the waltz. We gracefully moved along the floor as the lights were focused center stage on the dancers as the music began to pick up a bit. As the song concluded, Octavian twirled me outward and then used his strength to pull my back before bending me backward onto his arm while both his hands held me for support, finishing out dance.

The audience applauded with glee as the dancers patted themselves on the shoulder for a good show, and Octavian escorted me back to the table. I took notice that Jason and George were absent.

“Mase, where’s George and Jason?”

“I have no idea,” he said calmly. “They said they were going out around the garden to catch up on things.”

I nodded before I realized that I hadn’t introduced these two; I’m so rude. “I’m so rude, I haven’t introduced you guys. Mason, this is Prince Octavian Tempest of Whitewood. Octavian, meet Mason Crawford, my one true best friend.”

“It is a great honor to meet the famous Mason. From what Vince told me, you two must be incredibly inseparable.”

“Well, not considering the past month, not at all.” Mason humored as he shook Octavian’s hand as he bowed at his presence. “It’s a great pleasure to meet you, Prince Octavian. I wouldn’t want to be rude, but as Vincent’s best friend, I would like to bestow upon myself the right to say that if you do so much as rip his heart out and step on it with your incredibly dashing and expensive dress shoes, I would suggest to run away.”

Octavian seemed pleased with this and nodded. “I expected this; it’s very heartwarming that my boyfriend’s best friend cares so much about him.”

“Yeah, he’s pretty- wait what?” What? Did I hear him correctly?

Octavian seemed to get my sudden moment of surprise and all he did was grin. That sexy, romantically captivating grin. So it’s really official; I’m his boyfriend, and he’s mine. I felt like I was trying to contain a supernova of emotions inside from exploding. My lips twitched and eventually formed into a smile as I stared into his gaze.

I felt Mason’s hand pat my shoulder and he gave me a genuine smile; we both nodded in unison. “Well, I’m gonna go and see if Ms. Stronghold wants a dance.” And with that, he was gone in a millisecond. I turned to Octavian.

“So,” I began, “boyfriend, huh?”

“I know, it’s probably very forward. Was this too soon?”

“No, not at all.”

“Then in that case,” Octavian took both my hands into his and gazed at me with a determined look. “Vincent Stronghold Lutherford, it would be my greatest pleasure if you would have me the honor of becoming your boyfriend. Will you be mine?”

I couldn’t hold my grin any longer. I nodded quickly before pulling him into a hug and he returned it with a warm embrace. Octavian was finally, officially mine and the thought of it just made me giddy inside. I felt like nebulas were exploding inside my stomach; I felt the tingling sensation of butterflies, the electric current that surged through my spine coming from Octavian’s body. It was so surprise that I felt it once again, because it was a sign that I had felt things that I hadn’t felt with Nathan. Octavian was something else entirely, and I’m willing to spend the rest of my days here finding out.

The rest of the night was spent with a couple more dances, laughter, and more food. I was stuffed by the end of the night. Some people were a bit tipsy from the alcohol and wine. The only people who weren’t drunk were those under the drinking age; me, Octavian, Jason, and George. Jason and George were still nowhere to be found, so I guessed that they didn’t plan on returning to the party. All I wanted now was sleep.

I had asked Grandma if it was alright that Mason bunked in with me since they were going to be in the country for a few days thanks to her generous offer to Mom. Mason was thrilled, and I even mentioned that we could check out the Arcade tomorrow afternoon and maybe catch a movie if my schedule was clear for some leisure time.

Octavian and I led Mason to my quarters to the top floor, passing through many long hallways before we finally ended up at the doors. I urged Mason inside to get himself prepared for bed while I stayed outside with Octavian for a bit.

“I had a really fun time tonight,” I told him. I really did, it was one of the best nights of my life. Getting a letter from Dad, seeing that my first cousin wasn’t an asshole and not trying to kill me, and Octavian claiming me as his boyfriend, along with Mom and Mason coming over to the country to see me. Today was incredibly blissful.

“As did I, my Prince.” He cupped my face and pressed his lips onto my forehead, giving a longing kiss before pulling away. “I’ll see you tomorrow, alright? Get some rest.”

I nodded with a smile. “Goodnight, Avian.”

“Goodnight, Vince.”

“I can hear you guys getting sappy!” Mason yelled from the living room, and we both laughed softly before bidding each other goodnight.

In a matter of minutes, I was ready to get into bed. Mason slept on the other side. It was completely normal for us because it felt like we were having another one of our sleepovers. We greeted each other goodnight before clapping the lights off and drifting off to a wonderful slumber.

***********************

Breakfast was chatty. Since Mom, Mason, and George came, there were more occupied seats at the dining table and more food prepared. Each of us were drowned in conversations with each other, discussing whatever matters we thought we worthy of being brought upon to talk about. Mom and Grandma talk amongst each other; Jason and George; Octavian, Mason, and I.

Our breakfast was traditional Japanese consisting of spicy tuna rolls with crushed hot pepper, spicy poki that tasted incredible, and miso soup along with breaded shrimp and fried onion rings. It was delicious.

Jet came into the dining room and called me outside. I excused myself for a moment as I dabbed my lips with a napkin. Octavian took my hand and gave me his award-winning smile, and I returned it generously before leaving.

“What’s up, Jet?” I asked as we stepped outside.

“Mr. Etterson would like to meet with you as soon as possible, maybe after breakfast.”

“Is something wrong?”

“He wouldn’t say, Your Highness. He just asked me to inform you of his request for your presence.”

“Yeah, alright. I’ll go and see him. Did he say where to meet him?”

“In the Botanical Gardens, the one where you and Prince Octavian had your night out.”

A flash of white came into my vision before my mind spiraled into reminiscing that very night. The zipping sounds of bullets passing overhead and around me were very vivid as if it were happening at that very moment. I felt my heart racing before dropping to the floor and backing up against the wall, exclaiming with fear as I felt a hand grip my shoulder.

“Your Highness! Your Highness, it’s alright. You’re safe.”

My breath was erratic and I could feel a droplet of sweat begin to bead my brow. I panted heavily as I sat up against the wall. Jet had his hand on my shoulder and I couldn’t help but feel embarrassed.

“I’m- I’m s- I’m sorry f-for that.”

“Would you like me to cancel your meeting with Mr. Etterson?”

“No, no, it’s fine. I’m fine. Just a little post-traumatic stress.”

Jet looked hesitant but he nodded as he assisted me to stand. I took a deep breath and wiped my forehead before heading back into the dining room and took my seat next to Octavian. I forced a smile at him, and he seemed to have bought it. We resumed eating the rest of the morning and the only thought that was racing through my mind was, what was so urgent to see him right after breakfast that Jack wanted to speak to me about?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

580 58 27
Vampires. Oliver Lysander doesn't believe in them. How did he become one? How did he get caught in this mess? Cosa Nostra. The Sicilian Mafia. Oliver...
470 76 21
Vanessa is a typical 18 year old girl, she goes to school and maintains a balanced life, her family struggles to make ends meet but that doesn't stop...
863K 46K 45
** story is triggering** His pleads for help were desperate as he watched his mates eyes flutter close and her chest stop rising. Her grip on his han...
721 73 11
[#ONC2024] ❝I hate you so much, I can't bring myself to kill you.❞ Self-proclaimed master of thievery, Vincent Costa has nothing to lose. He steals f...