The Commander of The Founders...

由 LucienWinnx4

Time is running out. The human race only has six months left to live. Commander of the Founders: The Race Aga... 更多

Book Cover
Chapter One: Echoes
Chapter Two: Dominance
Chapter Three: Radiation
Chapter Four: A Lie Guarded
Chapter Five: The Tinder Box
Chapter Six: We Will Rise
Chapter Seven: Gimme Shelter
Chapter Nine: The Bond of the Unify Partners
Chapter Ten: Heir to Lorelei Kom Cavikru
Chapter Eleven: The Other Side
Chapter Twelve: The Chosen
Chapter Thirteen: Praimfaya

Chapter Eight: God Complex

74 4 0
由 LucienWinnx4

Raven slowly helped Luna down the stairs to the rest of the group. Raven had Luna's arm slung around her shoulders. They stood beside Emori and Murphy. Miller moved down the stairs and stood on the opposite side of the chamber. Didrika and Clarke moved to the radiation chamber.

Abby ran a few more tests on the monitors and saw that Ethan's vitals were strong. Abby turned to Jackson and nodded. Jackson shut the door of the chamber and wind hissed out as it sealed shut. Clarke turned to the group and met Raven's eyes.

"Are we ready for this?" Raven scoffed.

"It's alright. You can do it. He wanted this," Cerberus said.

"We've been over this. None of us wants to do this, but the death wave will be here in 10 days. Luna's stem cells grafted successfully. Ethan is making Nightblood on his own. This really is our only hope," Clarke said.

"We really still talking about this?" Murphy asked, "Black rain is already here. Eighteen people died in it yesterday at Arkadia, thirty in Polis, so if Nightblood can let us walk around in it, I, for one, want to know about that."

Abby looked at Jackson and nodded. Jackson moved away from the chamber to a dial control. He clicked a button and the chamber hummed. He turned the dial slowly. Abby recited Ethan's blood pressure and body temperature.

Clarke and Didrika knelt down by the chamber. Didrika put her hand on the glass on the spot of where Ethan's hand was. Ethan was the best friend of her older brother. He had become her brother when her real one had been killed. She knew that Ethan had lost his whole family to the fish radiation and that he wanted to be with his family again. Didrika still could not bring herself to say goodbye to him. She would not have to if this worked.

Clarke looked at her with a childish grin. It was working. Ethan looked perfectly fine. Clarke took Didrika's hand and Didrika moved closer to her.

Ethan's skin began to sizzle and burn. Clarke gasped and shouted for Jackson to stop. Ethan's eyes shot open and he looked at her terrified. Didrika put her hand on the glass and he pressed his to hers. He gave her a loving and reassuring smile before pain ripped through him. He gritted his teeth and screamed. Blood poured out of his mouth. Didrika felt herself flinch. Heat rose in her chest and her eyes opened wide. Ethan had made a point to tell her that he was not mad at her. She licked her lips and felt herself shake. Ethan loved her and she had killed him. Didrika loved him. She was losing someone else she loved. Her heart shattered. She knew she could not take it anymore. She also knew that she had to confine her emotions so that she could effectively do her job. Didrika rose to her feet and slowly inched away from the chamber. She bumped into Roan and recoiled away from him.

"En's sting in! En's sting in! (It burns! It burns!)" Ethan screamed.

Ethan's body flailed against the restraints. Abby moved toward the chamber door. Jackson rushed to her and grabbed her wrist. He shook his head. It was not safe enough yet. The radiation would leak into the open air and hurt them. Abby slumped against Jackson in defeat.

Ethan screamed; the sound high pitched and piercing. It was terrible to listen to. His screams became muffled from gurgling blood. The Cavikru warriors hid their devastation, but visibly flinched back.

Didrika squeezed her eyes shut and tilted her head to the ground. Another scream that would haunt her in her dreams. Her face paled and she felt the burning hot sensation of tears building in her eyes. Roan slipped his hand into hers. She looked up at him surprised. He squeezed her hand and she leaned against him.

Ethan's body fell still and his shrill shrieks ended abruptly. Abby looked at his body horrified.

"What have we done?" Abby whispered.

The radiation regulator clicked. The radiation was cleared from the chamber. The Cavikru warriors opened the chamber door and pulled Ethan out of it. Cerberus took Ethan into his arms and walked past Didrika.

Didrika wanted to collapse. She wanted to end her life. Everyone around her ended up dying. She dug her nails into her palm. She felt the skin break and blood run onto her finger tips. The world flickered from grey to colorful; the pain woke Didrika up from her suicidal state. Didrika made a considerable effort to keep her mind from slipping. She lifted her hand up and looked at her bleeding palm. She pulled a bandage from her med bag and wrapped her palm. The black blood stained the bandage. She winced and shook her head. She had to stay focused.

She flickered her eyes to Luna and Clarke. Luna and Clarke grabbed rags and began to rub the blood off the chamber walls.

Raven moved to the computer and pulled up the images from a drone. The radiation wave was clearly seen. It was red and orange and yellow and green. It was forging forward toward them. Murphy looked up at the screen.

"How's the weather, Reyes?" Murphy asked Raven, "Forecast still calling for death?"

Raven looked at him annoyed. She was not in favor of his sarcasm.

Abby and Jackson moved to a microscope and computer. Jackson straightened in bewilderment.

"Abby, take a look at this," Jackson said.

"Of course," Abby murmured.

Clarke turned to them as she scrubbed the bottom of the chamber. Didrika moved to Abby's side.

"What is it?" Didrika asked.

"Sodium polyethanol sulfonate. It's an additive used to prevent clotting. Looks like the radiation broke it down and caused a chain reaction," Jackson said.

"What happens if we remove it?" Clarke asked.

"We could save everyone," Abby said.

All of the others pushed off the wall and circled them. The Cavikru warriors came back in and Mackenzie moved to Didrika's side. He had his arms crossed over his chest.

"You could? So you're saying this can still work?" Murphy said.

"Not without testing," Abby said.

"Ethan just died, screaming in agony, and you want to try it again?" Raven asked.

Didrika looked at Raven with narrowed eyes. Raven looked at her hopeful. Raven wanted her to deny the testing. Didrika hated herself. Her people. Her family. They were all her responsibilities. She had to keep them safe even if that meant being the worst version of herself. Didrika did not have a choice. She had to test someone. She had to kill another innocent. Once a monster, always a monster. She could not separate the two parts of her. The Jusripa and the girl. Who would her friends find the next time she woke up?

Didrika slammed her fist into the table top. Roan looked at her alarmed. Everyone else seemed shocked. Mackenzie placed his hand on Didrika and lifted it away from the table. He placed his other hand on her hand too. Didrika looked at him. He saw the beauty in her brown eyes. The pain mixed with love. The coldness mixed with gentleness. He nodded at her and she felt herself calm down. Mackenzie released her hand and she looked at Raven pleadingly.

"Give us a better idea, Raven. Please," Didrika asked.

Murphy looked at Didrika, uncertain.

"So what, we go out there and kidnap a guy?" Murphy said.

Miller stepped forward protectively.

"No ones going anywhere in this storm," Miller said.

Abby turned to Mackenzie hopeful.

"We could use another volunteer," Abby said.

"Sorry, lady, but without proof, none of us are getting in there," Mackenzie said.

Didrika put a hand on Mackenzie's shoulder. Mackenzie stood down and Didrika looked at Abby sympathetically.

"He's right, Abby. No ones going to volunteer. Our best chance is to find someone that won't be missed," Didrika said.

Luna moved away from the chamber and scoffed. She held a bloody rag in her hand. She had an unpleasant expression on her face.

"This is madness. What's the matter with you people? Everyone is missed by someone," Luna said.

Emori looked around the room paranoid. She laid her eyes on Clarke and fear got the best of her.

"I won't let you use me!" Emori screamed.

Emori charged toward Clarke and gripped her neck. The group stood frozen in shock. Didrika rushed over to Clarke's side and ripped Emori off of her. She put her arms around Emori's neck and slipped to the ground. Didrika squeezed on Emori's neck.

"Shh, shh. Just close your eyes," Didrika whispered.

Roan whistled and Didrika glared up at him.

"Looks like we know who's next," Roan said.

Murphy grabbed a bar and went to smash the chamber and Roan put a knife to his throat. Clarke turned to Didrika with a devastated face. Her eyes wide from sorrow and her face wrinkled in worry. Didrika pulled Emori into her arms and carried her to the rocket room. Roan dragged Murphy into the room. Miller pulled his gun out and pointed it at Murphy's head. Miller secured Murphy's hands to the ladder of the rocket. Didrika tied Emori's wrists to the ladder. They walked out of the room. Murphy yelled and swore at them. Didrika closed her eyes and squeezed her lips together. Raven shut the slide doors to the room. Raven turned to Clarke angry.

"Please tell me you're not considering putting Emori in that chamber," Raven said.

Clarke turned to Abby conflicted. She was torn apart by killing Ethan and hurting Emori and yet she wanted to live. She wanted to test the solution and make it through Praimfaya.

"Mom, I don't know what else to do," Clarke said.

"There is nothing else to do. We all know it. At least Heda knows what to do," Roan said.

Didrika nodded, "This is our job. Every job comes with its sacrifices, but this needs to happen."

Raven turned to Abby for reassurance.

"Abby, please, there has to be something that doesn't make us murderers," Raven said.

"Jackson and I have examined every possibility. And the only thing we know for sure is that if we do nothing, we die," Abby said.

"Look, Didrika just lost another man to radiation. We have to do this. We can't let him die in vain," Clarke said.

Didrika looked at Clarke with injured eyes. Clarke did not want to cause Didrika pain. It broke her heart to manipulate her loss like this. Didrika gulped and flickered her eyes up and down Clarke. She sighed and turned to Raven.

"Clarke's right, Raven. If this is how we save the majority then this is how we do it," Didrika said.

Clarke looked at her mother with hollow eyes. She nodded. Abby turned to Jackson.

"Jackson, prep Luna for the next extraction," Abby said.

Luna inspected the group in front of her and glared at them.

"No, you've taken enough," Luna said.

Abby turned to her shocked.

"Luna, it's okay. We'll sedate you," Abby said.

"I said no. I won't allow my blood to kill any more innocent people," Luna said.

Luna pushed off the wall she was leaning on and walked away from the group with her arms crossed over her chest. Clarke looked at her, desperate.

"Luna, please. Nightblood is the only thing that can save us," Clarke begged.

"Nightblood is a curse. It put me through hell. It put Didrika through hell. It will, however, keep you from following me into the rain," Luna said.

"Luna, you can't. Not with that hip," Abby said.

"We can't let you leave," Roan said.

"We need you, Luna," Clarke said.

"Is there no line you won't cross in order to survive?" Luna asked.

"Survival requires sacrifice. If the Freikdreina dies-" Roan said.

"Don't call her that!" Raven yelled.

Roan looked at Raven sympathetically.

"If she dies saving the world, that is a good death," Roan said.

"Luna, please," Clarke croaked.

Luna limped toward the stairs to the exit of the lab. Roan moved in front of her with his hands on his hips. He looked down at her coldly.

"You're wounded. And I don't want to fight you," Roan said.

"You have no choice, remember?" Luna reminded him.

Luna moved toward the stairs and then spun. She lifted her leg up and kicked Roan in the gut. Roan flew back into a carrier of vials. He fell and the vials broke on the ground. Luna collapsed to the ground. She gripped her hip and struggled onto her feet. She backed away from Roan and lifted her hands up to defend her head. Roan approached her and kicked her hip. Luna yelped and fell to the ground. Roan wrapped his arms around her neck and squeezed. Luna's eyes rolled up into her head and she fell limp in his arms.

"Sleep well, Natblida," Roan said.

Raven looked at the fight with wide, horrified eyes. Didrika sighed as Roan laid Luna on the ground. He pulled her into his arms and stood. Didrika rubbed her forearm with her thumb and bit her bottom lip.

"Don't take her bone marrow. Take mine," Didrika said.

Roan looked at her horrified. Clarke looked like Didrika had ripped her heart out. Abby looked frightened.

"What? Didrika, no," Clarke said.

"Luna is my friend. If you can't do it to me, you can't do it to her. I won't disrespect her wishes," Didrika explained.

"Didrika, you're the Heda. If word got back that Skaikru-" Abby said.

"Have you lost all your humanity? Luna doesn't want to do it. I won't let you abuse her," Didrika said.

"To survive we have to lose our humanity. Once we live we can regain it," Abby said.

"What's the point then? Why save humanity when you've already lost it? And I thought I was the monster in here," Didrika argued.

Roan laid Luna on the lab table and Raven looked over at Clarke disgusted.

"So you're gonna strap Luna down and take her bone marrow against her will? Welcome to Mount Weather," Raven said.

Abby sighed and waved for Jackson.

"Jackson prep Didrika," Abby said.

The room slowly emptied. Didrika had been through a lot. A medical procedure was not going to rattle her.

Jackson led her to another lab table. She sat down on it and Jackson asked her to roll up her sleeve. Didrika clenched her jaw and moved the cloth away from her arm. Jackson took her wrist and stared at the cuts on her arm. He looked at her horrified. Didrika looked up at him with blank eyes. She looked back down to her wrist and he took the hint. She wanted to get this over with. Jackson could not get the thought out of his head; Didrika was clinically depressed. Jackson put an iv in her elbow crease and then gave her a sedative. Didrika felt herself drift away. Jackson lowered her onto the table.

Abby moved to his side and turned her onto her side. Abby pulled up her shirt and saw her tattoo. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. It was no wonder Clarke fell in love with Lexa. Didrika and Lexa were the most delicate beings Abby had ever met. They were like sand. Made from hard glass, but soft to the touch. What terrified her was that the beauty was marred with puffy ugly scars. Where in the world did she get scars like that? The thought made her body physically tremble.

Abby rubbed alcohol on Didrika's hip and drew her incision with a sharpie. She cut open the skin and pressed a needle into her bone and slowly pulled out bone marrow. She pulled out another needle and repeated the process. She laid the needles on the counter and pulled out a bandage. She pulled off the wrapper on the adhesive and then stuck the bandage on the cut. She pulled down Didrika's shirt and put her hand tenderly on her arm. Abby capped the needles and turned to the window of the upstairs room.

Clarke watched her mother from the upstairs room. She had her arms crossed over her chest. She chewed on her nails nervously. Her face was wrinkled in concern. Roan cracked open the door and popped his head in.

"You okay?" Roan asked.

"Are you? I saw you with Didrika," Clarke said.

Roan sighed and entered the room. He slowly moved to Clarke's side.

"Didrika and I, we've got a complicated relationship," Roan explained.

"You two look pretty close to me," Clarke suggested.

"Nah, Didrika is lesbian. She doesn't like me that way."

"Do you?"

"She's like a sister to me. We've known each other for a long time."

Clarke turned to him finally and saw through his composure.

"You didn't like what you did to Luna, did you?" Clarke asked.

"Nightbloods. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson after Lexa. We're doing the right thing. Didrika wanted to do this," Roan told her.

"Yeah, she may have wanted to do this, that doesn't make using Emori right."

"You protect Didrika, like a real Flamekeeper, but you've got to learn that certainty is a luxury leaders can't afford."

"I'm no king."

"Maybe not, but you were born for this. Lexa knew it. Didrika knew it and chose you as her Flamekeeper. I know it. You don't back down when things get hard."

"It's always hard."

"Yet, here you are. I know you don't believe it now, but one day, they will thank you for what you're doing here."

"Murphy won't. Emori won't."

"If it works, they will."

"What if it doesn't work?"

"Then we die knowing we did everything we could to save our people."

"Did you come up here to make me feel better?"

Roan looked to the floor and grinned.

"It's never been my strength," Roan light heartedly said.

Miller popped his head into the room and told them it was time. Clarke and Roan followed Miller to the rocket room. The doors slid open and Murphy stood up. Miller walked over to Emori. Murphy snarled and Roan walked behind him and pressed a blade to his throat. Murphy let out a shaky gasp. Emori struggled against her restraints. Miller hissed and pulled out a Reaver stick. He stuck the needle into her neck. Emori fell slack. Miller untied her restraints and pulled her into his arms.

"You don't need to do this," Murphy said.

"I wish that were true," Miller said.

Miller carried Emori out of the room. Roan let Murphy go and left the room. Clarke turned her back on Murphy.

"You don't have to do this! Who the hell do you think you are, huh?" Murphy said.

Clarke turned to him with a blank expression.

"I'm trying to save us," Clarke said.

"Save us? You just took bone marrow from a girl who is half way decent and you managed to convince her that this is the right thing to do. Wanheda, savior of us all! Killing all of our values so that you can have your way. But maybe you're forgetting the last time you saved us, I was saving you!" Murphy yelled.

"I'm not forgetting."

"You haven't forgotten? Then, please, you don't need to do this. Don't do it. Please, please, you don't need to do this."

Clarke winced and turned away from him. Anger crossed Murphy's face.

"You know, it's too bad that you weren't a real Nightblood because then you could have been Commander. Imagine how many people you could've killed then! Tell me something, after you murder Emori, are you gonna take bone marrow from Didrika again? Or maybe force Luna to? Am I next? Okay! I'm begging you, please. I love her. Don't do this," Murphy snapped.

Clarke turned to Murphy with a sincere face. She nodded at him.

"Emori will be fine," Clarke proclaimed.

"Hey. Look at me, if she dies, you die. And Didrika won't be able to stop me," Murphy threatened.

Clarke walked out of the room. The doors sealed shut and Murphy screamed.

Miller laid Emori on the table and Jackson prepped Emori for the procedure. Abby lifted the needle of bone marrow to Emori's arm. Her hands shook. Clarke smiled and took the needle from Abby. Abby thanked her, blinking away tears. Clarke moved beside Emori and looked down at her. Her lips quivered as she struggled with a decision.

"I bear it so they don't have to," Clarke whispered.

Clarke rose the needle to her arm. Jackson moved away from Clarke and stiffened in horror.

"Clarke!" Jackson yelled in warning.

Clarke ignored him and pressed the needle into her skin. She pushed the plunge and the bone marrow seeped into her veins. Abby moved to her side and looked at Clarke terrified.

"No," Abby breathed.

Clarke pulled the needle out of her arms and laid it down.

"We're testing me," Clarke said.

Luna looked over at Clarke with angry eyes.

"Great, good job, Clarke, now Didrika has to lose another person she cares about. What a way to dishonor her choice," Luna said.

Clarke looked over at Luna. Luna was sitting on her lab table with her feet dangling above the floor. Tears welled up in Clarke's eyes and she gulped.

-----

Clarke sat on the lab table beside Didrika. Didrika looked at her with worried eyes, although she had a composed face. Jackson loosened a band around Clarke's arm and Clarke looked down at the needle in her arm. Black blood flowed into the needle. Clarke smiled and gasped. Jackson looked at her concerned. Jackson put bandages on the broken skin where the needle was.

"It's been two hours. How do you feel?" Jackson said.

"Ready," Clarke said.

Clarke slipped off the table and Didrika caught her wrist. Clarke turned to her and saw her pained face.

"Clarke," Didrika said.

"I'll be alright. Don't worry about me. Just allow yourself to rest," Clarke said.

Clarke walked toward the chamber and Abby got in her way.

"I won't let you do it," Abby said.

"Mom, I trust you. It'll work. Turn it on," Clarke said.

"Jackson, don't. Clarke, if you go in there, you will die. I saw it."

"What're you talking about?"

"I saw it."

"Like I saw the rocket," Raven said.

"We're wasting time," Clarke said.

"No!" Abby yelled.

Abby turned and grabbed a pole. She ran toward the chamber and swung the bar back. Clarke yelled at her. The group moved toward her to stop her, but she was too fast. Abby swung the bar into the glass shattering it. The group yelled in protest and defeat. Abby slipped to her knees in agony. Luna hopped down from her lab table and scoffed.

Luna commented, "Don't worry. It'll all be over soon now."

Luna walked away from the group and limped up the stairs. Clarke walked over to Abby and knelt down in front of her.

"I can't lose you," Abby sobbed.

Clarke wrapped her arms around Abby and pulled her head to her chest. Clarke rested her chin on the top of Abby's head. Clarke rocked them back and forth.

"You're okay," Clarke said.

Didrika walked out of the lab and climbed to the roof of the building. She sat down on the ledge with her legs hanging off of the roof. Didrika could barely make out Luna walking toward the ocean. The wind was a light breeze that blew her hair. Her red hair rippled around her head. She closed her eyes and listened to the rustling of nature. She could hear the waves, the tree leaves rubbing against each other, the birds singing to each other, the wind whistling. Her hand went to her blue pendant and clutched it. Didrika grinned shyly.

She heard footsteps behind her and she dropped the smile and lowered her hand. She turned and saw Clarke slip down beside her. Didrika turned back to the scenery in front of her. She leaned her head on Clarke's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Didrika," Clarke whispered.

"There's no reason to apologize. This was your destiny. You were meant to be a Nightblood," Didrika said.

"You knew?"

"Of course I knew, Clarke. I know you like the back of my hand. I volunteered to protect Luna, not Emori. I knew you would never break Murphy's happiness. You're not that type of person."

"How old are you really?"

Didrika hooted and straightened. She ran her fingers through her hair and smiled.

"I'm just observant. It comes with the job," Didrika simply answered.

Clarke smiled and looked straight forward. Her blonde hair blowing into Didrika's red hair. Didrika looked at her hands and a small smile formed on her lips.

"Lexa would proud, but it was a really stupid thing to do," Didrika said.

"It doesn't matter now. We can't test it," Clarke said.

"Don't lose hope, Clarke. Our people will think of something. We will survive this."

"How can you have this much hope?"

"The past Commanders have faced worse things."

The sound of beating drums sounded above them. Didrika looked up and put her hand out. A bird landed on her fingers. She lowered her hand and took out the note that was tied to his claw. She unrolled it and read it.

Dear Didrika,

It's Octavia. I'm in trouble. The darkness is crashing in on me. I already tried to kill myself. Ilian saved me and I'm grateful. I'm staying at his house. I thought separating myself from everything would help, but it's not. I need you. When you're done saving the world, come find me. Until then, Ilian is my salvation.

Octavia

Didrika sighed and put the note in her pants pocket. The bird moved to her shoulder. He would not leave until Didrika wrote a note to send to Octavia. Another bird appeared from the sky. His body shrouded by white light from the moon. He landed on her thigh. Didrika took the note and read it.

For Didrika,

We found it. The solution. Jaha, he found a bunker. It can sustain 1200 people. It can save us. It can withstand Praimfaya. We will await your return to divide it equally between the clans. Right now we have thirteen clans trying to get into the spaces. I wish you luck with the Nightblood solution. I wanted to let you know that I found the mole, well technically it was the warriors, but that's besides the point. It was the Flamekeeper, Gaia. I placed her in indentured servitude under Indra. She has apologized for her crime. She has made up for it. She was the key to finding the bunker. Her and Berangaria. I started to combine their cultures and we have learned a lot about our history. All goods news here. Can't wait to see you soon.

Loves from,

Lorelei

Didrika stared at the writing in awe. She stuttered and then looked over at Clarke. Clarke saw her wide eyes and squeezed her eyebrows together in confusion.

"Clarke," Didrika whispered.

"What? What's wrong?" Clarke asked, hysterical.

"Your people have found a way to save us all."

"How?"

"They found a bunker that can withstand Praimfaya."

Clarke laughed and threw her hands in the air. Didrika threw her head back and giggled. Clarke got on her feet and Didrika rose onto hers. Clarke tackled her and hugged her. Didrika smiled and put her hands on Clarke's back of her neck and shoulder blades. Clarke rested her head in Didrika's neck. Clarke's chest shook from sobs. Didrika closed her eyes and let calm wash over her.

--IN POLIS--

The grounders circled the fire pit. The flames grew high in the air as the smell of burning bodies accumulated. Prayers, cries, and conversations echoed in the air.

Lorelei stood on the balcony of the throne room. She watched the grounders move around each other in the square. She turned around and entered the throne room. Gaia was pacing back and forth in front of the throne chair. Lorelei grumbled for her to stop. The throne doors pushed open and Berangaria walked in. Berangaria looked at Lorelei and then Gaia in confusion.

"You wanted me?" Berangaria asked.

Lorelei moved in front of Berangaria with her shoulders back and her hands bound behind her back. Lorelei gestured to Gaia.

"Berangaria, this is Gaia," Lorelei introduced.

Gaia moved forward and put her hand out. Berangaria shook it. Berangaria was the last Guardian of Cavikru. Gaia was the last Flamekeeper of the Coalition. Didrika wanted to unite the two cultures. This would be a good start. The scouts still had not found Nightbloods for the Coalition conclave, so that part of unity was going to have to wait.

The Guardians were royalty in Cavikru. The family had lineage rules with the children. The parents were never Guardians, they were King and Queen. The eldest child was titled the Guardian of the Foheda. The Guardian was the true ruler of Cavikru. Guardians were advisers and teachers of the Foheda. Guardians were scholars.

The Flamekeeper was respected by the grounders. The children of the clans at a certain age got to choose whether they would be a warrior or a member of the religious order. The choice was referred to as being called. The children would venture to the order's school. They would become trainees of the religion and travel around the civilizations to learn the cultures. Once the current Flamekeeper dies, a trainee would graduate to Flamekeeper. Flamekeepers were teachers and advisers of the Heda. Flamekeepers were priests.

Each culture had their own history and beliefs, combining them would make one big history and belief.

"I have a job for you two," Lorelei said.

Berangaria and Gaia turned to her. Lorelei moved behind the throne chair and picked up several leather bound journals. They looked at her puzzled.

"With the radiation looming, I thought that we needed to preserve our histories and beliefs. I want you to do the honor," Lorelei said.

Gaia nodded and took the journals. Berangaria looked curiously at Gaia.

"Didrika will probably draw the illustrations. I just need you to write it down," Lorelei said.

"Do you want guidelines or something more like a bible?" Berangaria asked.

"That's up to you. I suggest a narrative that is easy to follow for those who come after us," Lorelei said.

"I'm sure we can figure something out," Berangaria said.

Lorelei nodded and excused herself. She left the throne room. Berangaria and Gaia looked at each other skeptically. Berangaria smiled at Gaia. Gaia was afraid that Berangaria was going to take over everything and disregard the religion. The smile calmed her down and Gaia said she knew the perfect place to do this.

Gaia led Berangaria to the Flamekeeper's chamber. Berangaria sat down in front of the space pod. Gaia pulled out ink wells and styluses and laid them by Berangaria. Gaia sat down; her knees almost touching Berangaria's knees to form a diamond. They flipped open the first journal and began the narrative of the grounders.

Lorelei walked down to the square. She pulled Nolan separate and discussed supply teams. He nodded and immediately called for his people. He told her that the teams would begin their trips in a few hours. They would run rations to the other clans to help them. Lorelei thanked Nolan and walked on the side of the path.

Indra lied on her bed. The smell of burning wood had reached her home. She had her eyes closed in an attempt to rest. A crackling noise startled her. Indra sat up and looked around her room. She saw the radio tucked away in her sheets. Indra dug it out and heard Kane's voice on the other side. He was following a lead on a solution for the radiation. He requested permission to travel to Polis to talk to the Flamekeeper. Indra sighed and clicked the button and spoke into the radio.

"I'll have to ask Lorelei. I'll radio back with the answer," Indra said.

"Don't worry, Indra. I don't think this lead will go anywhere," Kane told her.

"That's not very reassuring."

"I'm entertaining the idea. Tell Lorelei that it's Jaha's idea. That may be the deciding point."

"I'll be right back."

Indra put the radio on her bed and raced out of her home. She found Lorelei in the courtyard. She was lying on her back in the middle of the yard. Her arms were under her head and her ankles were crossed. Lorelei looked tired and it looked like she had been crying. She had not realized Indra was there. Indra coughed and Lorelei sat up.

"You look like you could use a drink," Indra said.

"I try to avoid alcohol. Alcohol does not mix well with me," Lorelei said.

Indra nodded. Lorelei was a great warrior, but from what Didrika had told her Lorelei was an angry drunk. Last time Lorelei was drunk it was after the attack on Cavikru. She was fifteen and had just lost her mother. She returned to Didrika's home after having a few drinks and had an outburst of violence. Didrika had to knock her out. In the morning, Lorelei saw the bruises she had given Didrika and swore that she would never touch another alcoholic beverage. She did break that vow several times, but each time Didrika was with her to limit her consumption.

"Kane radioed. Jaha has an idea to save us from the radiation," Indra said.

"Last time Jaha wanted to save us, he ended up causing death," Lorelei said.

"Kane said that might be a turning off point."

"Allow them safe passage into Polis. We have to give every idea a chance."

"I'll let him know."

Indra slipped back to her home. She relayed the information to Kane. The radio went silent and Indra rolled back into her bed. She might just have enough time to get some sleep before hell breaks loose.

The sun slowly dropped from the sky. Lorelei and Indra made their way to the checkpoint to get into Polis. Lorelei had her leader jacket on and zipped. She had her fingerless gloves on. Her hair was pulled up and tucked into a hat. It was a green hat with a Cavikru patch on it. The patch was a pentagon outlined in orange. The inside was blue. White letters were sown in the blue - Fourth Supporting Family - and below it in white was her inheritance number - 2.

She had switched from her sword to an automatic gun which had a strap that was slung over her shoulder. She had new pants on that had pockets down the sides of the pant legs; knives were sheathed in the pockets.

Lorelei told the warriors to let the Skaikru pass. The gates were opened and Kane walked through. He had a bright smile on his face and approached Indra. Indra punched him in the jaw.

"Don't smile at me Kane. You betrayed the Commander. What do you want?" Indra asked.

"Indra, calm yourself," Lorelei said, "We're over that. Kane, state your business with the Flamekeeper."

Kane looked at Lorelei curiously. Her outfit fit the Skaikru description more than the grounder description. Kane was often thinking about Cavikru. The clan that had been so secret that the mountain men did not know about them. The clan that used guns and advanced medical procedures. If he had really thought about it, he could have learned from them if he had not burned that bridge days earlier. Kane gulped and smiled at Lorelei. Lorelei gave him a cold glare.

"The Flamekeeper may be the key to saving us. I just need to talk to her," Kane explained.

Indra looked at him with innocent shocked eyes. Lorelei nodded and gestured for the three Skaikru members to follow her. She shouted at her warriors to lock the checkpoint back up. They called back with multiple yeses and you-got-its.

Lorelei led the small group to the Flamekeeper's chamber. She pushed open the doors and climbed down the spiral stairs. She opened the second pair of doors and stepped into the room. Berangaria and Gaia were leaned over a journal, quietly talking to each other. Lorelei coughed and they looked up at her. They saw the small group file in behind Lorelei and they stood at a polite and respectful attention stance.

"Heda," Gaia greeted Lorelei.

Lorelei nodded at her and smiled. Gaia and Berangaria instantly relaxed.

Jaha pulled a circular bronze coin out of his pocket. He approached Gaia. Gaia looked at him nervously as he lifted the coin up to her tattooed arm. Gaia looked at the coin in awe and shock. Her hands went up to cup the coin in his fingers and he brought it in front of her. Jaha turned to Kane with a confident expression.

"Still think it's a coincidence?" Jaha asked him.

Kane looked at him in disbelief.

Lorelei looked at the two confused. Lorelei recalled that Kane was skeptical about Jaha's idea and now Kane believed him. Lorelei eagerly needed to know the idea.

Jaha turned back to Gaia with a gentle tone to his face. Gaia looked up at him, impressed.

"Where did you get this?" Gaia asked.

Berangaria moved to Gaia's side and looked down at the coin. She ran her fingers over it and gasped. Jaha shrugged Gaia's impressment away.

"I found it. And I now believe it's so it could lead me to you," Jaha said.

Monty moved beside Lorelei and looked at her, asking if he could speak. Lorelei gave him a reassuring smile and nodded.

"Tell us about the symbol. Where does it come from?" Monty asked.

"It was passed down from the original survivors. It's the holy symbol of the Commander's order," Berangaria answered.

"It was said that it was on the crypt of the first Commander, Bekka Pramheda," Gaia said.

"Where is the crypt?" Jaha asked.

"You think it's the bunker?" Monty asked.

Gaia and Berangaria looked at each other. They were skeptical and cynical about telling outsiders where the crypt was. Lorelei looked up at Gaia's eyes and Gaia knew that the Spirit of the Commanders would protect the crypt. Gaia nodded at Berangaria and the two girls looked at Jaha.

"It's in the temple," Gaia said.

The group looked at the girl's as their leaders. Gaia gulped and concealed her emotions.

"Berangaria and I will lead the way," Gaia said.

Berangaria and Gaia slipped to the front of the group and they walked up out of the Flamekeeper's chamber. They led the group across the city to the temple. They walked up the ramp and through the gates. Gaia pushed open the door and lit a torch inside the crypt. The group slipped in behind her.

Jaha looked at Gaia for answers. Gaia pointed to the altar. Berangaria and Gaia pushed the altar back. It revealed a trap door. Jaha crouched down to it and ran his fingers over the small door. He looked up at Gaia with a smile. Gaia crouched down and put her hands on the circle in the middle of the door. She recited the hieroglyphics that were carved onto the circle.

"Salvation lies within," Gaia said, "We were taught it referred to the ship that brought her to us."

"The Royal Court talked about a cave that sustained life so that our ancestors could live. We were taught it was a man made cave. They told us that it was a legend and lost to us," Berangaria said.

"They possibly said that because when Splitakru separated it lost all connection with the Flame Order," Gaia said.

"Yes, that is also true," Berangaria said.

Monty knelt down beside Jaha.

"How do we open it?" Monty asked.

Gaia looked at Monty, uncertain.

"The legend states that to gain access our ancestors had to furnish a key," Berangaria said.

"We were told that it was made so that no one could get into it and disturb Pramheda," Gaia said.

"A key," Jaha muttered.

Jaha pulled the coin out and placed it in the indent in the circle. Nothing happened. Jaha hollered in protest. Lorelei looked down at him, sympathetic.

"Can you open it or not?" Indra asked.

"We have to," Monty said.

"We just need to pry it open," Kane said.

"I can provide warriors to help you," Lorelei said.

"No. Giving them hope before knowing what's inside will ruin the peace," Kane said.

Lorelei rolled her eyes and stayed put. They would have to figure this out themselves.

Kane put a crossbar in the slit of the door and pushed. The door would not budge. Kane grunted and the crossbar dropped to the ground.

Lorelei leaned against the wall with an amused smile. Gaia and Berangaria stared at the bizarre scene. Jaha stood and moved over to the two girls.

"I told you. It has never been opened," Gaia said.

"We were brought here for a reason, Gaia. Think. Is there another key? It. It would have a 12 on it," Jaha said.

"Maybe we are not worthy. Maybe we are meant to burn in Praimfaya," Gaia said.

"No. We're not meant to burn. We were meant to rise from the ashes," Jaha said.

Berangaria creased her forehead. She bit on her nails. She had an idea, but it would sound stupid coming out of her mouth.

Lorelei pushed off the wall and looked at her with eyes that insisted she explain what was going on in her head.

"Our people were founded on the belief that there had to be an entry ritual. Today we just knock out outsiders, but our ancestors liked riddles," Berangaria said.

Monty looked at Berangaria shocked and a thought crossed his mind. He jumped to his feet, excitedly.

"Wait," Monty said.

"What is it, Monty?" Kane asked.

"From the ashes we will rise. What if it's not just a motto? What if it's an instruction?"

Monty took the coin from Jaha and walked over to the fire pit. Gaia lit the fire pit and looked at Monty hesitantly. Monty put the coin into the fire. The orange flames turned pink. The group surrounded the small fire pit. Jaha covered the flames and then lifted it up. Gaia ran back and grabbed a torch and put it over the fire pit to get better light on it. The circle coin turned into a triangle with the Roman numeral twelve on the bottom of the triangle.

"The 12th seal," Jaha gasped.

Jaha took the tiny key and brought it back to the trap drop. He inserted it in the slot in the circle and turned it. The trap door opened and Kane and Jaha pulled it open. Wind whistled out of it. They looked into it amazed. Kane grabbed the torch from Gaia and put it over the opening. Kane looked at Jaha with a smile.

"After you my friend," Kane said.

Kane passed the torch to Jaha and Jaha climbed into the hatch. Kane followed him. Everyone looked at Lorelei for instruction. Lorelei sighed. What would they do without her? Lorelei climbed into the hatch and Monty, Berangaria, Indra, and Gaia followed her. They entered a huge underground building. Bodysuits hung on the wall. They walked over to the railing and looked down. Below them was a cafeteria floor with tables and chairs. Jaha cackled and Lorelei put her arms around Gaia and Berangaria's shoulders. They smiled at each other. Jaha turned to Lorelei.

"Welcome to your new home, Lorelei," Jaha said.

Lorelei smirked and then turned to Indra.

"We can't tell anyone until Didrika gets back. Didrika will make this announcement," Lorelei told Indra.

Indra nodded. Lorelei looked at Kane and Jaha. They nodded at her. Lorelei looked forward and smiled. Berangaria pulled her into a hug. Lorelei pulled Gaia in and they laughed. All the burden on their shoulders lifted and their hearts heated rapidly in excitement. They were going to live. They were going to survive Praimfaya.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

10.3K 419 45
This story begins when Anya gets shot by guards of the Ark. But they miss and Anya can get away with her life. Now she needs to convince Heda to hear...
9.6K 231 15
After Mount Weather, Clarke Griffin can't bring herself to walk through the gates of Arkadia. For months, she wanders through the wilderness, torture...
38.1K 783 17
This story begins after the s3 (Lexa survived). Lexa and Clarke were on their way to Arkadia when they stumbled upon someone, what will they do? A.L...
41.1K 1.8K 18
"You may be the commander, but I'm the commander of death. And I say we will meet again." Following the events of the season five finale, the last hu...